Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
I like the versatility of the sea-truck. With all modules it's a full mobile base you're trucking around, but at a moments notice you can uncouple and have a fast cab to go explore with. It's not the cyclops, but it fits with BZ being 1/3rd of the full game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Comrade Koba posted:

I’m sure a lot of people are upset that they don’t get to zoom around in their super-fast insanely agile underwater jet fighter, but personally I’m glad they replaced it. The Seamoth was way too good in Subnautica and should probably have had a hard, non-modifiable depth limit of 200m or so.

Imagine being a game dev creating a sequel and instead of doubling down on the well received, popular mechanics they instead remove them because they were too good.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Xik posted:

Imagine being a game dev creating a sequel and instead of doubling down on the well received, popular mechanics they instead remove them because they were too good.

If you give the player a piece of equipment early on that removes most of the dangers and challenges and trivializes large parts of the game to
the extent that later-game items of the same type can be mostly ignored, then yeah, I’d say you hosed up as a developer.

The Seamoth is great, but it’s the first vehicle you get and it effectively eliminates most of the dangers and terrors in a game about alien undersea exploration. It’s so small you can explore any cave system without ever having to leave the safety of your ship. It can outrun any hostile wildlife and take several hits from non-leviathan creatures without being reduced in functionality, and the only way a leviathan is ever going to be a real danger is if it manages to sneak up on you from behind.

If you keep it upgraded, you can safely ignore both the Goliath and the Cyclops until the very final stretch of the game. A lot of people never even build the Cyclops.

Having the Seamoth be limited to the early game by a hard depth limit and maybe making the Goliath slightly more accessible would have evened out the challenge level of the game, I think.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I don't agree that the seamoth trivializes the game, or that it removes most of the danger, or at least it doesn't impact the game in a way that makes it less enjoyable.

But, assuming I did agree with that, they had full creative freedom over the world, environments, enemies, every type of challenge, literally everything. If it was about challenge or a "counter" to the seamoth they could design one.
That's what makes a good game dev or designer. Understanding the fun parts and building around them, not removing them.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Cyclops is required for completing the game

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Look, I just want a button, or something, to auto-level-out my seatruck, so I can walk through it without being at a literal 60 degree angle, poo poo is ridiculous, and breaks my immersion.

Given they want the seatruck to be your home away from home where you can walk around and enjoy your aquarium and have a sleeper compartment and stuff, not having it 'level out' so you can walk around in it like you could the cyclops, is a huge thing. To me, at least.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Look, I just want a button, or something, to auto-level-out my seatruck, so I can walk through it without being at a literal 60 degree angle, poo poo is ridiculous, and breaks my immersion.

Given they want the seatruck to be your home away from home where you can walk around and enjoy your aquarium and have a sleeper compartment and stuff, not having it 'level out' so you can walk around in it like you could the cyclops, is a huge thing. To me, at least.

Wait, you can autolevel the cyclops?? How?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Xik posted:

But, assuming I did agree with that, they had full creative freedom over the world, environments, enemies, every type of challenge, literally everything. If it was about challenge or a "counter" to the seamoth they could design one.
That's what makes a good game dev or designer. Understanding the fun parts and building around them, not removing them.

“Re-designing the entire game around one specific thing that it turned out a lot of players liked” isn’t exactly stellar game design either, at least not if you ever want to see a final release.

Salt Fish posted:

Technically correct, but in practice it really isn’t.

It’s needed to build a component you need for the escape shuttle if you absolutely want that final cutscene, which in terms of bad design decisions is way worse than anything they ever did with the Seamoth.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

GamingHyena posted:

You can make the Cyclops NOT level??
I don't think mine ever was not level.
Or maybe i just controlled it with ascend/descend, i dunno.

With the Seatruck, i think the whole fabricator module was useless, they could have just added into the storage module, or just made the main cabin slightly longer and stuck it on the back wall.
It seemed forced and useless.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 23, 2020

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Salt Fish posted:

Comrade Koba posted:

Technically correct, but in practice it really isn’t.

It’s needed to build a component you need for the escape shuttle if you absolutely want that final cutscene, which in terms of bad design decisions is way worse than anything they ever did with the Seamoth.

I remember a lot of people also having to turn around for Surprise, you need to craft a SECOND blue plot coupon! for their prawn focused run too :v: It was one of the reasons I started making a little pocket sized 'can run a fabricator' base By Giant Gun Island and mountain island Even when I was not building any bases outside of the starting biomes except a throwaway moonpool setup. Also in the name of "less backtracking".

Cyclops might let you bring a fabricator, but it won't let you make a vehicle upgrade station for the better prawn depth modules and other last touches like better jump jets.

OgNar posted:

You can make the Cyclops NOT level??
I don't think mine ever was not level.
Or maybe i just controlled it with ascend/descend, i dunno.

With the Seatruck, i think the whole fabricator module was useless, they could have just added into the storage module, or just made the main cabin slightly longer and stuck it on the back wall.
It seemed forced and useless.

The Sea Truck is a cool idea but so much of it seems this bizarre combination of pettiness and laziness in practice.

"Here is your fabricator module!" "Cool... Where's everything else? It's just a fabricator in an empty room?" "What do you mean, everything else? We put a fabricator in it didn't we?"

"Here is your storage module!" "Cool... Wait why is everything tiny grids worse than a floating locker?" "HEY now! there is also a 6x2, that's taller than 4x4!"

"Here is your prawn docking module!" "Cool... Hey this isn't big enough to put a prawn in." "That's because the prawn just awkwardly hangs off your rear bumper outside the sea truck! We couldn't possibly make a module big enough without ruining the aesthetic!" "What about horizontal with it docked face down-" "-Yes, entirely impossible."

Though I'm almost inclined to give the prawn module just being "It awkwardly hangs outside on your rear bumper" a pass because of how much of a horror show it was for them to keep docking the prawn in your cyclops from making it warp into nearby mountainsides and other physics insanity. I did read on the wiki "It also blocks your rear camera!" though, which loops back around to "...But why?"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 23, 2020

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

GamingHyena posted:

Well, you know what I mean, it's pretty much at a level angle by default, unless you really jam it into something hard (or something big jams itself into you inside it) and it starts to tilt. I was saying 'level like the cyclops is', not 'an auto-leveler like the cyclops has'.

Section Z posted:

"Here is your prawn docking module!" "Cool... Hey this isn't big enough to put a prawn in." "That's because the prawn just awkwardly hangs off your rear bumper outside the sea truck! We couldn't possibly make a module big enough without ruining the aesthetic!" "What about horizontal with it docked face down-" "-Yes, entirely impossible."

Funnily enough, I was having this exact thought, myself, while making my original post, how, if you could actually have a level angle on the seatruck, they could just orient the prawn so the top hatch was the hatch you entered from the rest of the truck, and just step inside/jettison yourself off of it in a natural-feeling smooth way. Funny how so many players tend to notice the same things that the devs apparently never do...

Aoi fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 23, 2020

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Well, you know what I mean, it's pretty much at a level angle by default, unless you really jam it into something hard (or something big jams itself into you inside it) and it starts to tilt. I was saying 'level like the cyclops is', not 'an auto-leveler like the cyclops has'.

Funnily enough, I was having this exact thought, myself, while making my original post, how, if you could actually have a level angle on the seatruck, they could just orient the prawn so the top hatch was the hatch you entered from the rest of the truck, and just step inside/jettison yourself off of it in a natural-feeling smooth way. Funny how so many players tend to notice the same things that the devs apparently never do...
I was worried I was veering off into petty grievances again, but looks like the train of thought was more on point than expected.

I do think the prawn module making it desperately hang outside is one of the few cases of "...Okay, give these guys a pass or they might want to kill themselves". Which also ties back into the subject of cyclops auto leveling, because the Cyclops tilting while being attacked as I tried to dock lead to a whole bunch of my "warp into a nearby mountain or building" instances.

But that doesn't change the fact the prawn docking module seems like the most lackluster of all. At least the fabricator does something in itself while taking up a whole room. But I guess a broom closet to fit a pre-made UI panel is easier to add than "Let your PDA menu detect a docked prawn by proximity". Or making all modules variable so the rear one functions as your docking point by default. Or any number of cool things what wouldn't look like somebody forgot to finish making it.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 23, 2020

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Comrade Koba posted:

“Re-designing the entire game around one specific thing that it turned out a lot of players liked” isn’t exactly stellar game design either, at least not if you ever want to see a final release.

They had a long EA period and pivoted on major mechanics and design decisions multiple times (although I don't think this made good business sense, it made a better product in the end). The seamoth was also always a crowd pleaser, they didn't make the entire game and then find out "oh, I guess this part is fun".

We were also talking about a sequel so I mean yeah, they literally could design the entire new game/expansion around a popular part of the previous title, sort of feels like that makes total sense....

Still, it's not like I'm writing off the expansion because it doesn't have the seamoth. Seatruck is a conceptually cool idea, hope they iron it out before release.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The truck definitely has some issues, but I like the idea that at its simplest it is more or less like the seamoth, and that you can easily attach the prawn to it.

I am in the minority in that I hate every single second I am forced to use the cyclops, and I find it overall a bad vehicle, and I like that they went out of their way to make a bunch of new stuff for what is simply an expansion.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean, doubling down on features that people actually like is doing better than some early access games.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Played BZ for about two hours last night and it definitely feels like an expansion. Haven’t gotten the sea truck yet and it’s odd that you have to go out and find the fabricator (still hate that basic circular rooms aren’t in there by default so you have to start with tubes, but it makes sense) and the map does feel a lot more limited geographically in that so far I’ve only seen the two biomes and the others aren’t very obvious. Twisty bridges are cool though, I’m looking forward to getting down there a little deeper once I get my way stations built.

Two hours got me a basic base, food, the rebreather and two oxygen tanks, knife, scanner, basic equipment etc so it’s not too much slower than regular subnautica but it’s slightly differently paced

Also the voice acting is unbelievably bad lmao

Ed: getting back to it and I like the oxygen plants as a facilitator for deeper dives into the spooky squid shark zone, it’s a nice touch. Tried to build a little stop down there but no light reaches beneath the twisty things so I guess I gotta build a bioreactor, which I don’t recall happening in the original but might have. It’s funny that I was able to build the mobile vehicle bay but it’s useless cus I don’t have any schematics for the sea truck

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 24, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Down in the mines and found these guys doing some weird crabby ritual, which isn't all that weird I guess.

If I didn't turn around again to find it getting larger.

Regarding the Mine
FYI I was able to navigate my Seatruck and 1 storage module into the vents in front of the ramp to rocket island.
With some bumps and scrapes it leads down to the mine

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Punchy lobster fight club

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Can you attach multiple storage modules to it? Seems like maybe dropping a fabricator attachment and storage one might be a decent moveable base for manufacturing food and airing up while leaving it hanging outside caves and stuff. Multiple ones would be good cus they have poo poo locker slots for their size

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Frog Act posted:

Can you attach multiple storage modules to it? Seems like maybe dropping a fabricator attachment and storage one might be a decent moveable base for manufacturing food and airing up while leaving it hanging outside caves and stuff. Multiple ones would be good cus they have poo poo locker slots for their size

This is what I did for moving a lot of material down below, had 2 storage and 1 prawn attachment. It was slow, but adding the fabricator module onto that and it was so horribly slow that way.
Wonder how many modules to bring it to a halt?

Also in the new large rectangular room, steps leading out to other rooms or a hatch do not work.
Its like they have an invisible wall in front of them.
Though if you run first it gets you through.

I do like the way the containment fits in, though it does take a lot of space.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OgNar posted:

This is what I did for moving a lot of material down below, had 2 storage and 1 prawn attachment. It was slow, but adding the fabricator module onto that and it was so horribly slow that way.
Wonder how many modules to bring it to a halt?

Also in the new large rectangular room, steps leading out to other rooms or a hatch do not work.
Its like they have an invisible wall in front of them.
Though if you run first it gets you through.

I do like the way the containment fits in, though it does take a lot of space.

Huh. No planters in the new alien containment? That's lame.

Does it at least have a higher population cap than an individual Multipurpose room version? Casual google has only turned up old news "Pop count is ten" just like the base game.

Given how many windows I crammed into my MP pillar bases, I do like that they added glass roof options though.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Section Z posted:

Huh. No planters in the new alien containment? That's lame.

Does it at least have a higher population cap than an individual Multipurpose room version? Casual google has only turned up old news "Pop count is ten" just like the base game.

Given how many windows I crammed into my MP pillar bases, I do like that they added glass roof options though.

It only uses the same materials as the standard size so it only goes up to 10, once I realized that I put a standard double stack of rooms off to the side with 2 containments.
With the scanners higher power usage I tend to use 2 bio reactors where I don't have sunlight so need as many fish as I can get when scanning.

As it is now, just having a scanner room built but not working almost loses power with just a bio reactor running. Before I added a second on my main base I would just hit it with Q to partially unbuild it when I left for a bit.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 25, 2020

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OgNar posted:

It only uses the same materials as the standard size so it only goes up to 10, once I realized that I put a standard double stack of rooms off to the side with 2 containments.
With the scanners higher power usage I tend to use 2 bio reactors where I don't have sunlight so need as many fish as I can get when scanning.

As it is now, just having a scanner room built but not working almost loses power with just a bio reactor running. Before I added a second on my main base I would just hit it with Q to partially unbuild it when I left for a bit.
Indoor vines are a proud tradition that needs two stories of glass tube for your fish to swim around, yes. Hopefully the large room version gets something to make them look less bare bones.

Also I could have sworn scan rooms stopped draining power when the scan stopped? Or did they change that for Below Zero because All QoL Must Suffer?

Bioreactors have always been slow to keep pace with constant drain on their own though without time to build back up. Their capacity is amazing, and they have saved my rear end from "oops, your relays+thermal reactors were far enough away that the thermal vents themselves didn't spawn yet" a few times in the main game. But their actual recharge rate is something crazy slow like, 2 energy per second.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 25, 2020

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
Is there any sign at all of when Below Zero might leave early access? I played Subnautica quite a while after it was released and went in completely blind and really loved it, so I'm trying to do the same with Below Zero.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Check back next year.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

7seven7 posted:

Is there any sign at all of when Below Zero might leave early access? I played Subnautica quite a while after it was released and went in completely blind and really loved it, so I'm trying to do the same with Below Zero.

It will probably be a few months, it is a little hard to know.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
Ah, OK thanks. I was half optimistic there might have been a rough ETA not too far away.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Is there an easy way to get all the notifications turned back on for the various points of interest I've visited? Stuff like the various Degassi habitats, some of the lifeboats, etc? I have visited a bunch of them but it was sort of in a rush to grab the tech and now that I've finally unlocked beacons (apparently should have gone in the direction of the Aurora earlier?) I'd like to be able to go back and drop a bunch of actual beacons at the various biomes and places.

Edit: I don't mind using the console.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Arcturas posted:

Is there an easy way to get all the notifications turned back on for the various points of interest I've visited? Stuff like the various Degassi habitats, some of the lifeboats, etc? I have visited a bunch of them but it was sort of in a rush to grab the tech and now that I've finally unlocked beacons (apparently should have gone in the direction of the Aurora earlier?) I'd like to be able to go back and drop a bunch of actual beacons at the various biomes and places.

Edit: I don't mind using the console.

It's in your PDA: you can turn the beacons on and off.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Arcturas posted:

I've finally unlocked beacons (apparently should have gone in the direction of the Aurora earlier?)

Fragments for any given tech should show up in a bunch of places, but the distribution is semi-random.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks for the info about turning the radio signals back on. That'll help.

Hwurmp posted:

Fragments for any given tech should show up in a bunch of places, but the distribution is semi-random.

Ah, fair enough. Right now I want to find some prawn drill bit fragments, because after doing the Aurora I can finally build both the Cyclops and the Prawn suit, and I built a prawn suit hoping it'd let me more quickly collect the mats for a cyclops. Unfortunately I still need the drill blueprint, so it feels like the prawn suit is a little pointless. I also need to find somewhere with nickel to build the depth upgrades - I don't recall how deep it can go without them.

(I also started my first nuclear reactor! Huzzah! My favorite base is in a mushroom tree forest with those nifty jellyfish, perched on the edge of a cliff down into a blood vine area. I was able to take the seamoth down the blood vine zone until I got a warning about fossilized remains and then ran from crabs stealing uranium until I had 12, and used those for a set of 4 rods. I was too scared to go farther because I saw some sort of big monsters swimming around...)

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 10, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Being cautious around the big monsters is generally a good idea. They've got set patrol areas, though sometimes they can be lured out (accidentally or otherwise) and end up hanging out in a different place than intended.

Might be just as well that they originally planned on having wandering Leviathans who patrolled almost the entire map, but it turned out to be technically infeasible.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
On my, like, 12th playthrough, currently, I decided to build a series of bases around the *checks notes* starboard side of the Aurora in the crash zone, a few hundred meters down, somewhat close to the basin edge. In my first trip past the last of these bases, truckin' on past the bow/front of the ship toward the Bulb Zone, I got rocked by like five reapers, over and over again, taking me down to like 1/8th health on my cyclops as I rammed my way into a volcano and got out to fix it at the end.

...so on my first trip BACK that way, this time, I built a bunch of beacons, and laid down a 'highway' between three of them, each of them around 250 to 400 meters apart that would let me avoid those screechy bois on the way back (or forth, in the future).

Long story short: Yes, sometimes it's a good idea to observe and scope out their preferred territories, and take a specific route to avoid them.

Or just barrel through again, because that's fun.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Comrade Koba posted:

The Seamoth was way too good in Subnautica and should probably have had a hard, non-modifiable depth limit of 200m or so.

lmao

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Is there a mod to correct the spelling of Degrassi in this game

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I thoroughly enjoyed the Prawn but then I always loved giant robots. It's such a cathartic feeling to be able to go back to where your Seamoth was more or less defenseless and flip the sea monsters off with a giant steel finger.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the prawn is best with double grapples, they absolutely nailed the movement with the grappling hook in that game.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I just realized you can scan for wrecks and data boxes and this is a game changer.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Arcturas posted:

I just realized you can scan for wrecks and data boxes and this is a game changer.

I find the data box scanning quite frustrating in both Subnauticas. After you make your way all the way over to it, it just disappears because you already had that info.
I'm assuming that, because they disappear on me constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Data boxes, unlike Fragments, are still around after you get the blueprint and will continue to show up on scans.