Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Rolo posted:

Is there any way to disable the screenshot sound? I take a lot of screenshots and it’s annoying and sounds like I’m taking pictures.

The ‘silent mode’ switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Rolo posted:

Is there any way to disable the screenshot sound? I take a lot of screenshots and it’s annoying and sounds like I’m taking pictures.

Mute your phone you weirdo.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I end up forgetting to unmute it :saddowns:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Maybe he has a Japanese phone and he can't mute the camera sounds.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Rolo posted:

I end up forgetting to unmute it :saddowns:

What’s the problem?

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

yamdankee posted:

Yeah something similar happened to me a few months ago. I was out doing some errands and stuff not even using my phone. I take it out at the checkout line to see 3 messages from Verizon, "you're almost out of data!", "you're out of data!", "you've been charged again!" So I call Verizon immediately in a panic, worst case scenario in the back of my mind that they won't cooperate with me or believe it's some kind of glitch. After like 30 minutes finally getting to a real person, transferred multiple times after repeating myself a bunch, I describe the problem again and again, they have me do the usual idiot checks, "Did you know sir that apps like Instagram can update even while you're not..."

"...Oh snap, you at 24GB in the last 3 hours!" I smile as his reading-from-a-prompt tone fell apart and he finally understood something was actually wrong. They temporarily switched me to an unlimited data plan for the month and had me install some kind of app that uploaded data usage to them, as dubious as that sounds...

A month later I get a "Welcome to unlimited data!" email with a much higher bill. Another phone call/chat session to go back to the old plan. A month after that? "Welcome to unlimited data!" as the person a month ago didn't make it a permanent reversion to the old plan. Man it was a mess.

They waived all fees, though.

lovely as it is to say, I’ve been watching carefully and my usage has been normal since the incident, so rather than deal with all of their poo poo I’m just going to eat the $30. At this point I’ll chalk it up to an Overcast bug and count my lucky stars that this kind of fuckery doesn’t happen more often with all the free apps I use.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

:siren::siren: The iPhone SE2 is just going to be a $400 iPhone 8. :siren::siren:

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

I’m so ready for it. iPhone 8 nor X can’t use the fancy T-Mobile band I need.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

RIP phones sized for human hands. :’(

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
... my SE seems to have developed a quirk where it auto-mutes a call when I switch out from the call to something else.

Which makes using the phone to create appointments really difficult.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

quote:

According to one of the publication’s sources, the new handset will retail at $399. That’s the same price that the original iPhone SE sold for in 2016.

It is unlikely to employ Face ID, which Apple introduced with the iPhone X in 2017. It is likely to have a 4.9-inch display, and could reuse the design from the iPhone 8.

Apple sells the iPhone 8 today for $449, so they're just going to announce a $50 price drop and name change then?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The other persistent rumor is that it'll have current-gen innards

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Apple sells the iPhone 8 today for $449, so they're just going to announce a $50 price drop and name change then?

using the same form factor says nothing about the internals. the quote you're pulling from even talks about a bigger screen.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The original SE had a 6s' innards while the current iPhone was a 7. So this should be a XR or X in a smaller iPhone 8 form factor. But the XR still cost $600 so I think we all know what Apple is going to do.

The SE was an aberration. This is going to be another 5c in terms of value, which is to say it won't be one.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hey buster I liked my blue 5c.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The 5c was a decent phone and I really liked the feel of the plastic back, but it was also at the tail end of carrier subsidies. If you paid full price it was $100 cheaper than the 5s and more than $100 worse in every way. As far as 'cheap' iPhones it wasn't a good value at anything near retail price. Like a smaller iPhone 8 in the year 2020 for $400.

Apple is probably doing this for the Indian market, not for the American one. They already produce 6s' in India because tariffs pretty much force cell phone makers to produce the phones domestically. Maybe Apple will surprise us, but I don't think this is supposed to be a good deal for Americans. I'm a little surprised they're not making the new SE2 in the 6s design since I'm not sure if developing markets are ready to get rid of their headphone jacks.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
It's gonna be a plastic XS chassis size with huge fuckkoff bezels on every side to get it from 5.7" to 4.9". :newlol:

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy

e.pilot posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good IPTV app?

GSE IPTV has worked fairly well for me. iPhone/iPad support alongside Apple TV support too.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Something weird has been happening with my phone over the last several hours. Any time I wake my phone, it does the inverted color scheme for the lock screen. When it unlocks and goes to the home screen it reverts back to normal color scheme.

Any ideas on how to solve this.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Something weird has been happening with my phone over the last several hours. Any time I wake my phone, it does the inverted color scheme for the lock screen. When it unlocks and goes to the home screen it reverts back to normal color scheme.

Any ideas on how to solve this.

Try going to Setting, Accessibility, Display and see if Smart Invert got turned on somehow.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

The original SE had a 6s' innards while the current iPhone was a 7. So this should be a XR or X in a smaller iPhone 8 form factor. But the XR still cost $600 so I think we all know what Apple is going to do.

The SE was an aberration. This is going to be another 5c in terms of value, which is to say it won't be one.

Unless it’s got 11 parts in an 8 body, with night mode. Than it’s a great buy while Apple figures out in screen finger print, Face ID, and can go finally notchless

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Krispy Wafer posted:

Believe it or not the SE actually came out when the 6s was the current phone. It had "flagship" innards at the time of its release. An incredible deal, and if you got in on one of the last vestiges of carrier subsidies it was an unheard-of bargain (my 64GB model was $50 out of pocket).

You're conflating a bit with the 5c, which released with 1-generation-old specs.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 11, 2020

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

They’re pulling iPhone 8 inventory , so this makes a lot of sense.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Isn’t the iPhone 8 already an iPhone X in an iPhone 8 form factor?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I think it will be called iPhone XE.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Will it have dual SIM?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

LODGE NORTH posted:

I think it will be called iPhone XE.
I just hope someone at Apple at least raised the idea of it being the iPhone SE X

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fallom posted:

Isn’t the iPhone 8 already an iPhone X in an iPhone 8 form factor?

Yes, which is why this will certainly be at least XR guts, and probably 11.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

TSMC's 7nm is pretty stable, high yield, will be available for a long time, Apple's already sunk all the cost into the design. At this point it would probably not be that much cheaper to build them on A12 rather than A13? So I'd bet on A13 in any new low-end iPhone.

A14 will be on 5nm so they'll want to recover the design costs and use them in high-margin lower-volume devices.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

please someone make a small phone

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Anyone still on an SE has Stockholm syndrome. Just get an 8. It is not a large phone and the UI is actually designed to fit the screen.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Weedle posted:

Anyone still on an SE has Stockholm syndrome. Just get an 8. It is not a large phone and the UI is actually designed to fit the screen.

Totally agree with this, although if they’re about to release a new phone it’s probably good to wait for the new phone with same size form factor.

iPhone X/XS/11 Pro are pretty spot on perfect size in hand in my opinion , and edge to edge screen makes a big difference. So if the lower end gets an edge to edge iPhone 8 screen, that’ll sell very well. The iPhone 11 is just slightly too big for some people.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

My SE is fine, why would I get a new phone?

I just want a small phone to be available when it dies at some point

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

My SE is fine, why would I get a new phone?

I just want a small phone to be available when it dies at some point

That’s fine, I’m just agreeing with the other posted that whenever you do need a new phone, you’ll probably have to settle for a phone about the size of the iPhone 8, and it really isn’t that much bigger.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Hot take: The 4/4S was the best looking design and feel, the 5/5S/SE was really where size his a sweet spot.

Give me a slightly smaller 11pro with a design similar to a 4 with the screen size of a 5. :gizz:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm not sure if this belongs in one of the other apple threads but I've lost access to my iphone recently and now my other apple devices are asking for a verification code apple is pushing to my old phone before I can use them. Is there a way to detach the iphone from my account?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm not sure if this belongs in one of the other apple threads but I've lost access to my iphone recently and now my other apple devices are asking for a verification code apple is pushing to my old phone before I can use them. Is there a way to detach the iphone from my account?

I can't remember how to do it on a device but you can login to iCloud.com and manage your devices. Make sure as poo poo that you have another device setup as a trusted device before you do anything or you're gonna be in worse shape.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Minidust posted:

Believe it or not the SE actually came out when the 6s was the current phone. It had "flagship" innards at the time of its release. An incredible deal, and if you got in on one of the last vestiges of carrier subsidies it was an unheard-of bargain (my 64GB model was $50 out of pocket).

You're conflating a bit with the 5c, which released with 1-generation-old specs.

I think the 5c was a missed opportunity. With carrier subsidies it was pretty cheap, but the retail price was way too close to the 5s. Which is odd because Apple had a hell of a time making 5's. Apparently manufacturing them required a lot more effort than the 4's so the bulkier 5c was significantly cheaper to build. There was no good reason for it to be that close in cost.

And yeah, if you're getting a carrier subsidy why would care what the MSRP is. I was substituting middle school at that time so all the kids had 5c's, but AppleCare+ didn't yet exist. So if(when) Tommy broke his phone the replacement was really expensiv...oh wait, now I see a good reason for it to be so close in cost. well poo poo I guess it had already come out, so much for that conspiracy theory

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 11, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
AppleCare+ was absolutely around for the 5C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Now you’re most secure. You’re welcome.