Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

agscala
Jul 12, 2008

We're considering refreshing our X-Wing token designs. Which do you guys prefer?

Also, have there been any new tokens since the strain tokens came out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

agscala posted:

We're considering refreshing our X-Wing token designs. Which do you guys prefer?

Also, have there been any new tokens since the strain tokens came out?

There are deplete tokens.

I wish the regular tokens (left) had the bright colors of the new tokens (right). My ONLY complaint with my burger tokens is that they’re not vibrant enough.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

I wish the regular tokens (left) had the bright colors of the new tokens (right). My ONLY complaint with my burger tokens is that they’re not vibrant enough.

Same. But if it's only between A or B I still like A best. Also if I could buy stuff like focus calculate shields ect all without buying stuff like target locks that'd be great too. Basically I'd love to be able to buy mini sheets of certain tokens that I use a lot of since epic is a thing again.

Your tokens are without a doubt the best xwing related purchase I've made for the game and I'm seeing them pop up at tournaments more recently.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

To add to that I'd love a "booster pack" that just had some of the new tokens that have come out since 2.0 started.

Then if more is needed to fill out a sheet it would be cool to have basically themed packs. Stuff like a hazard pack with all the negative effects, a charge pack with things like force/charges/shields, etc...

agscala
Jul 12, 2008

Well maybe someone can give some tips on how we can more efficiently split our tokens across packs.
Ideally I'd like to end up with one 50 or 60 token pack, and then a couple of 25 token packs.

Here's the totals for all the tokens if someone bought each of our sets:

14 shield charge (enabled and disabled double-sided).
12 standard charge (enabled and disabled double-sided).
8 force charge (enabled and disabled double-sided).

10 calculate.
9 strain.
5 focus.
5 stress.
4 calculate.
4 evade.
3 tractor.
3 ion.
2 jam.
2 reinforce (front and rear double-sided).
2 critical.
1 cloak.
1 disarm.

9 lock (white and black double-sided).
6 open/close (double-sided).

? deplete
? passive sensors (customer suggested)
? victory (from Epic rules, customer suggested)
-------- ??

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
FWIW I love B.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

agscala posted:

Well maybe someone can give some tips on how we can more efficiently split our tokens across packs.
Ideally I'd like to end up with one 50 or 60 token pack, and then a couple of 25 token packs.

10 calculate.
9 strain.
5 focus.
5 stress.
4 calculate.
4 evade.
3 tractor.
3 ion.
2 jam.
2 critical.
1 cloak.
1 disarm.

? deplete
-------- ??

Since I’m new to the game can I ask where I can buy your tokens?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I am far too happy with myself over this dumb theme list I made up

Poe, A pilot. An Xwing pilot

(68) Poe Dameron [T-70 X-wing]
(2) R4 Astromech
(1) Heroic
(2) Black One

(70) Rey [Scavenged YT-1300]
(6) Korr Sella
(9) Rose Tico
(10) Finn
(2) Contraband Cybernetics
(2) Rey's Millennium Falcon

(27) Vi Moradi [Resistance Transport Pod]

Total points: 199

agscala
Jul 12, 2008

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Since I’m new to the game can I ask where I can buy your tokens?

Most of the x-wing tokens are out of stock right now, but they can be found at https://www.burgertokens.com

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

agscala posted:

10 calculate.
9 strain.
5 focus.
5 stress.
4 calculate.
4 evade.
3 tractor.
3 ion.
2 jam.
2 critical.
1 cloak.
1 disarm.

? deplete
-------- ??

I'd split this into "essentials" and "special" groups.

Essential tokens are those that you MUST have to play the game, but don't cover special mechanics. If you want to sell a slightly smaller "booster" pack of these, that's fine, but I probably wouldn't. I'd probably just make two SKUs of this, one with locks 1,2,3... and another with locks 5, 6, 7... Alternately you could put the higher-number lock tokens in the "special token" pack.

Here are your essential tokens, in rough order of "need the most" to "need the least".

Shields (lots) (many ships have shields. I routinely use 10-12, and occasionally more)
Calculate (lots) (in-game, these often come in pairs. It's really easy to need 6-8, and a droid-based list could need 12+.)
Charges (lots) (many pilots and upgrades need charges, I routinely use 5+, and it's possible, but rare, to need 20+)
Focus (many) (more ships have the focus action than any other action; can easily need 6-8 total)
Stress (many) (every ship can get stressed, and a double-stress crit is in the damage deck.)
Lock (many) (a common action)
Evade (a few) (a less-common action)
Ion (a few) (a crit gives ion, and large-base ships need up to 3 to be ionized, so 3 is a good target number)
Crit (a few) (every ship can be critted; anecdotally, this is the token I most often wish I had more of!)
Strain (a few) (gas cloud obstacles now give strain, making this an essential token)

Special tokens are those where only certain ships use them, or where only a specialized list will need essential tokens beyond than those in the essentials pack. This may be a good place to put higher-number locks (or use an alternate marking scheme like ABC)

Ion (many) (ion-based lists can deal out quite a few ion tokens, and large-base ships can cart them around for a while before becoming ionized)
Tractor (many) (tractor-based lists can deal out quite a few tractor tokens)
Open/Close (many) (with current points, you can need up to five. Note that 'open/closed' should be generic, since we have upgrades with open/closed states on multiple ships now)
Passive Sensors (a few) (could potentially replace with a generic on/off token; could be useful for multiple things.)
Cloak (a few) (I *think* the max you can get in a list is four)
Jam (a few) (Jam is not super common, so about 3 probably works)
Deplete (a few) (currently only one ship uses Deplete, and using more than 2 is rare)
Strain (a couple) (some ships/upgrades give strain, so you may need these on top of the ones in the essentials pack)
Reinforce (a couple)

I have no idea about victory tokens, but if you do, an "epic pack" I would include these and a booster of shields, charges, focuses, and calculates. If you have space left, start picking from things that I labeled "many".

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
If you have a 3D Printer, or access to one, I've been designing my own tokens.

You can find my X-wing designs here.

https://www.thingiverse.com/ElectricFeel/designs

I've got some rulers and obstacles too. Slowly hoping to replace all cardboard cut-outs with printed objects. Just designed a deplete token I'll post up later.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I really like the pointy nubs on those. Gonna print up a batch tonight

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

socialsecurity posted:

I really like the pointy nubs on those. Gonna print up a batch tonight

Thanks, we've found them really useful in our playing.

Question: Friend is running a Decimator with Cap Oicunn & Intimiation. Does the -1 def apply to all attacking ships even if the Dec is the only one at range 0?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Burning_Monk posted:

Question: Friend is running a Decimator with Cap Oicunn & Intimiation. Does the -1 def apply to all attacking ships even if the Dec is the only one at range 0?

Yes

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Ft. Worth system open is this Saturday, and I'm struggling like mad to find something that can reliably take on four Fearless Skull Sq Fang Fighters without getting bodied by everything else. I've tested, and rejected, pretty much every non-TIE swarm list in both Imperial and First Order. The best I've had so far was Vonreg with Daredevil + Backdraft + 2 generic TIE/sfs, which does moderately well.

Today I'm going to test an updated version of the resistance 5s from back in the day. I haven't decided if I should have double concussion, double mag pulse, or one of each. I'm pretty happy with the rest of the list, tho. That Jarek build is surprisingly good.

New Resistance 5s

(40) Zizi Tlo [RZ-2 A-wing]
(6) Concussion Missiles
(1) Heroic
(4) Advanced Optics

(36) Tallissan Lintra [RZ-2 A-wing]
(6) Mag-Pulse Warheads
(1) Heroic
(4) Advanced Optics

(55) Nien Nunb [T-70 X-wing]
(0) Integrated S-foils
(1) Heroic
(6) Adv. Proton Torpedoes

(33) Jarek Yeager [Fireball]
(2) R4 Astromech
(3) Advanced SLAM
(1) Heroic

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

It's kind of crazy how much knowledge I've absorbed in my first month of playing this game at the local game shop.

Since the four fang fighters were brought up I have to say that after trying a ton of different ships, fang fighters are where it's at for me (Skull Squadron pilot w/ fearless). They allow me to move fast with good firepower and thanks to their pilot ability/fearless synergy, they have plenty of evasion. Being a new player, one of their other boons for me is how simple they are to fly and I don't have a bunch of skill stuff to look out for.

I've also found I love dropping bombs/charges. That poo poo is a lot of fun. Having a heavily armed Boba Fett flanked by two fang fighters is great.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I've also found I love dropping bombs/charges. That poo poo is a lot of fun. Having a heavily armed Boba Fett flanked by two fang fighters is great.

My friend plays this and he's kicked my rear end twice with it. How do you beat it?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cage Kicker posted:

My friend plays this and he's kicked my rear end twice with it. How do you beat it?

Boba is a tough nut to crack. His defensive re-rolls and high-health make him very, very tanky. You should try to avoid being at range 1 of him, although that's hard with his title allowing him to change directions, followed by his boost action. If you can't avoid the range 1 fray, go hard or go home.

Bombs are the worst for Fangs, especially proton bombs. Try to plan your moves so you're out of bomb range if at all possible. Hit him at range 3, scatter, and hit him at range 3 again.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Yep, just stay at far range and keep spread apart if you have fast, lighter craft. Stick and move, not letting him get close. In this scenario I'd try and take down the fang fighters before tackling the firespray.

If you have some heavies though, I'd recommend making the firespray your first priority. Stay spread out, but get multiple shots with heavy ordinance (torpedoes, etc) as quick as you can on Boba to try and get him off the board first.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Holy poo poo someone showed up last night locally with 7x Black Squad TIE fighters with Intimidation and wrecked everyone.

If you're moving last you PS kill things, and if you move first, it's bump city (that reduces their agility).

I'm super tempted to take this crowd of angry bees to Ft Worth this weekend.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

:stare: that sounds like something I’d want to bring to a local tourney this weekend.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I'm debating between 4 t70s and 5 t65s
Help

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Go classic. 5 t65.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Strikers > X-Wings. 6 > 5.

quote:

"Pure Sabacc" (44)
Ruthless (1)

Ship total: 45 Half Points: 23 Threshold: 2

Planetary Sentinel (31)
Ship total: 31 Half Points: 16 Threshold: 2

Planetary Sentinel (31)

Planetary Sentinel (31)

Planetary Sentinel (31)

Planetary Sentinel (31)

Total: 200

Embrace the dark side and die in a ball of fire and ailerons.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'm debating between 4 t70s and 5 t65s
Help

I prefer T70s because Heroic and Optics make you so drat consistent.

But 5 65s is a hell of a lot of firepower.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

If anyone is gonna be at Ft Worth this weekend, hit me up and we'll have awkward nerd conversations!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Tbf 4 t70s is Poe and three generics.

So 5 t65s?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

ConfusedUs posted:

Holy poo poo someone showed up last night locally with 7x Black Squad TIE fighters with Intimidation and wrecked everyone.

If you're moving last you PS kill things, and if you move first, it's bump city (that reduces their agility).

I'm super tempted to take this crowd of angry bees to Ft Worth this weekend.

Anecdotal, but I tried this list out in Fly Casual for a few games and its absolutely hilarious how crazy it is. Any medium or large base with an agility of 1 melts quickly since if done right, 6 2-dice attacks or 3-dice R1 attacks just spit out damage. Smaller bases makes it more insane since they're forced into taking crap moves to avoid a bumble swarm and typically don't have multiple arcs to defend themselves.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Ringo Star Get posted:

Anecdotal, but I tried this list out in Fly Casual for a few games and its absolutely hilarious how crazy it is. Any medium or large base with an agility of 1 melts quickly since if done right, 6 2-dice attacks or 3-dice R1 attacks just spit out damage. Smaller bases makes it more insane since they're forced into taking crap moves to avoid a bumble swarm and typically don't have multiple arcs to defend themselves.

I did too. Of course, I think the RNG is wonky. First round of shooting I lost 3 ties, because the enemy rolled precised three hits, and I rolled 4 blanks. 3 times in a row.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Tbf 4 t70s is Poe and three generics.

So 5 t65s?

There are a handful of 4 t70 lists. Jess and 3 Red Experts (all i3). Kare Kun and 3 Black Aces (all i4). Poe and 3 Blues. I won't take anything below i3 in my meta, but you've gotta decide for what's going to work best in yours.

5 t65s (i2) is out for me, but Jake and 4 Red Vets (i3) is good.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So tomorrow's tournament is Extended, and I don't have enough cards/dials to run the 7x Black Squadron Ace w/ Intimidation...so I'll be running this instead.

4x Black Squadron Ace
-Intimidation

2x Saber Squadron Ace
-Outmaneuver

196/200

I think I can still create traffic jams with 4 TIEs, and 2x interceptors throw as many red dice as the 3x TIEs they replaced...plus maybe I can drop a 2-agi ship to 0 if I play it just right?*

*won't happen, I'm too far out of practice

tl;dr: No shields? No problems :black101:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So I'm teaching like 5 players at once tomorrow. Anyone know of some sort of easy to read like 1-2 page rules refresher I could print?

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Lol, blanking out on 4 green dice.... then Heroic.... then again 4 blank dice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz1G_Y_aKaA&t=4054s

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Went 1-2 with the list I posted earlier. I think it has some legs, if I could’ve gotten any practice with it beforehand.

Game 1 was vs 3 generic ARCs and Matchstick (Republic Y-Wing). This was my best game, it was outright devastation vs the ARCs. Black Squad Aces did their blocking magic, and the interceptors rolled extremelyhot on both attack and defense. Lost one interceptor and 2 TIEs, but managed to bring down his entire list with like 20min to spare in the round. Won, 200-98.

Game 2 was vs 2 B’s (Braylen and Ten) and a Y (Dutch). Dutch got brutally murdered by a TIE and an Int, the TIE stripped his shields and the first crit the Int landed was a Hull Breach...which was followed by 3 more now face-up damage cards. Got half of another B-Wing before time was up, but I just couldn’t seal the deal on either one. Lost, 200-90 (ish).

Game 3 was vs Wedge, Fenn (shuttle) and Gavin Darklighter (e-wing). I couldn’t figure out my target priority on that, although Fenn ended up dead and I got half points on Wedge. Another 200-90ish loss.

Seems like there’s some solid legs to it, I’m going to play it the next few times I’ve got a chance to actually play this game :v:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

polynominal-c posted:

Lol, blanking out on 4 green dice.... then Heroic.... then again 4 blank dice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz1G_Y_aKaA&t=4054s

:xcom:, but X-wing

agscala
Jul 12, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

I'd split this into "essentials" and "special" groups.

Essential tokens are those that you MUST have to play the game, but don't cover special mechanics. If you want to sell a slightly smaller "booster" pack of these, that's fine, but I probably wouldn't. I'd probably just make two SKUs of this, one with locks 1,2,3... and another with locks 5, 6, 7... Alternately you could put the higher-number lock tokens in the "special token" pack.

Here are your essential tokens, in rough order of "need the most" to "need the least".

Shields (lots) (many ships have shields. I routinely use 10-12, and occasionally more)
Calculate (lots) (in-game, these often come in pairs. It's really easy to need 6-8, and a droid-based list could need 12+.)
Charges (lots) (many pilots and upgrades need charges, I routinely use 5+, and it's possible, but rare, to need 20+)
Focus (many) (more ships have the focus action than any other action; can easily need 6-8 total)
Stress (many) (every ship can get stressed, and a double-stress crit is in the damage deck.)
Lock (many) (a common action)
Evade (a few) (a less-common action)
Ion (a few) (a crit gives ion, and large-base ships need up to 3 to be ionized, so 3 is a good target number)
Crit (a few) (every ship can be critted; anecdotally, this is the token I most often wish I had more of!)
Strain (a few) (gas cloud obstacles now give strain, making this an essential token)

Special tokens are those where only certain ships use them, or where only a specialized list will need essential tokens beyond than those in the essentials pack. This may be a good place to put higher-number locks (or use an alternate marking scheme like ABC)

Ion (many) (ion-based lists can deal out quite a few ion tokens, and large-base ships can cart them around for a while before becoming ionized)
Tractor (many) (tractor-based lists can deal out quite a few tractor tokens)
Open/Close (many) (with current points, you can need up to five. Note that 'open/closed' should be generic, since we have upgrades with open/closed states on multiple ships now)
Passive Sensors (a few) (could potentially replace with a generic on/off token; could be useful for multiple things.)
Cloak (a few) (I *think* the max you can get in a list is four)
Jam (a few) (Jam is not super common, so about 3 probably works)
Deplete (a few) (currently only one ship uses Deplete, and using more than 2 is rare)
Strain (a couple) (some ships/upgrades give strain, so you may need these on top of the ones in the essentials pack)
Reinforce (a couple)

I have no idea about victory tokens, but if you do, an "epic pack" I would include these and a booster of shields, charges, focuses, and calculates. If you have space left, start picking from things that I labeled "many".

This was super helpful. It's looking like our final distribution will be the following (if someone has any improvements, let me know!)

12 Shield
10 Calculate
6 Charges
4 Force
8 Focus
5 Stress
5 Lock
4 Evade
3 Ion
2 Crit
3 Strain
-- 60 total
-------------------

5 Ion
5 Tractor
5 Shield
5 Calculate
5 Charge
-- 25 total
-------------------

1 Disarm
3 Passive Sensors
3 Cloak
3 Jam
3 Deplete
2 Strain
2 Reinforce
4 open/close
4 Locks 5-9
-- 25 total

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Glad I could help. I'd probably find a way to get 2 Disarm into that last group, though. I'd probably drop a Jam token to get it.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Anybody go to the Texas or UK System Opens this weekend? How'd you all do?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ft. Worth System Open Report

I had the worst tournament performance I've ever had in the history of X-Wing. I went 2-4 in the main event, and 0-3 into drop on the extended tournament.

My squad was:

New Resistance 5s

(40) Zizi Tlo [RZ-2 A-wing]
(6) Concussion Missiles
(1) Heroic
(4) Advanced Optics

(36) Tallissan Lintra [RZ-2 A-wing]
(4) Ion Missiles
(1) Heroic
(4) Advanced Optics

(55) Nien Nunb [T-70 X-wing]
(0) Integrated S-foils
(1) Heroic
(2) Black One
(6) Adv. Proton Torpedoes

(33) Jarek Yeager [Fireball]
(2) R4 Astromech
(3) Advanced SLAM
(1) Heroic

On my four losses in the main event:

* I lost the first to awful variance on the last round. I had a fully-modded concussion missile shot on a 1-hp Y-Wing that did zero damage, and was taking an unmodded shot on a focused Nien at range 3 that did enough damage to drop Nien to half. If I had killed the Y -or- not got halved on Nien, I would have won. Instead, I lost by 9 points.
* I lost the second, legit. Dude outflew me. (Cool list with Vonreg, Holo, LeHeuse, and Lt Rivas; it was a lot like my list, but at 6-5-5-1 instead of 5555)
* In the third loss, guy slow-played like a loving madman once he got slightly ahead. We did three rounds in the last 30 minutes of the game. It was infuriating. He won by like 10 points and a single extra round would have won me the game.
* I honestly have no clue how I lost the fourth. It was baby Ani/Obi/Plo/Broadside. I traded Nien for Plo, half of Ani, and half of broadside. Then took FIVE ROUNDS to kill that goddamn Y-Wing, while he slowly chipped away at me. I actually lost all four ships in this game. It was so weird.

On the list itself:

* The ion missiles were useless. I didn't ionize a single thing. The concussion missiles Did Work. The APT made me fly Nien too aggressively.
* If I were to fly this more, I'd do double concussion (or MAAAYBE one Mag pulse), and swap the APT for Optics on Nien
* Jarek was, no poo poo, MVP of the list. More on him in a minute.

On the lists I faced:

* I did not face the same list twice. However, I only played against one list with less than 4 ships (double firesprays, which I crushed).
* The second loss (Vonreg/Holo/LeHeuse/Rivas) was my favorite game of the day. And that list looked super fun. I may pick up a second Vonreg's TIE just to try this out.
* Braylen/Ten/Garven/Dutch has some ridiculous action economy, at I4. If you face this, kill Braylen first if you have the opportunity. He packs the biggest punch by far. It's not even close.

On the Fireball:

* Jarek was amazing. That 39 point build is a fuckin' steal. Sure, he's only got two dice, but nothing that moves before him will ever shoot him, and he WILL slip into range 1 eventually.
* Adding 2 points for the title is probably worth it on Jarek, but spending it on Coaxium might be better. Jarek lives or dies on his SLAMs, and "I can always SLAM" is really loving good.
* There were only two fireballs at the entire main event. The other was Kaz, who I feel is not worth his cost. It's better to just take one of the named A-Wings.
* I kinda want to test Chewie + 5 fireballs as a meme list for the cancer tournament. It could be hilarious.

I flew the 7x Intimidation TIEs in the extended event because I thought it would be funny. Instead, I got utterly wrecked. The less said about that experience, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

ConfusedUs posted:

* In the third loss, guy slow-played like a loving madman once he got slightly ahead. We did three rounds in the last 30 minutes of the game. It was infuriating. He won by like 10 points and a single extra round would have won me the game.

Christ almighty I would have been pissed, what a fuckin' rear end in a top hat.