Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

nyttyn posted:

Cid's teeth are horrifying.

He processes the metal personally, with his mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Rynoto posted:

The level 30 promyvions were incredibly fun and not really that hard.

After they were nerfed it wasn't so bad, but originally they took an alliance to get through and were pretty brutal. It was a major roadblock for the first month or so and really turned a lot of players off.

Def a shame, COP is by far the best expansion. It's story rivals mainline FF games.

nyttyn posted:

And if anyone else is starting this game to try it and sees this, don't pick bastok. There's a part early on, the 1-3 mission, where it asks you to get items with a really low drop rate that cost a lot on the AH and are being camped by bots. Just went through it, super frustrating.

That's pretty lame. But also Bastok is the worst city anyways, don't pick it. There is a reason we all called it Lastok.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The feeling of accomplishment from actually getting through one of those level-capped fights was certainly something. Especially because you knew you typically only had one shot at it, and if you died you had to trudge all the way back through the dungeon or have a friend outside that could raise everyone.

keep it down up there! posted:

Bastok is the best city anyways, do pick it. There is a reason we all called it Bestok.

Fixed :colbert:

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I remember CoP being nerve wracking ages after it came out.

True sight Hippogryphs, everything in the Promy aggroing to blinking.

The only thing that rivaled that was forgetting the location of Chigoes in ToAU zones.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Bastok has the best music, and is therefore the best city.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Bastok always felt the most home-y. It wasn’t horribly spread out like Windy and wasn’t all king obsessed as Sandy.

Now getting around WotG areas can gently caress right off (at least pre-Adoulin). Certain random areas closed off so you have to go a way long way around your rear end in a top hat to get to your elbow...

What I find hilarious right now is the AH economy. There are a handful of things I have noticed. Things cost very specific tiers now with little variance in between. Probably the man variance is items over 2 mil.

2mil
100mil

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
While playing through again recently, I remembered Sandy always seemed the most popular. Funny how the most popular nation is also the one where the natives are really really racist and obsessed with their king and national lineage.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Sandy has the nicest starting area. I have fond memories of killing rabbits and getting aggroed by orcs.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

After they were nerfed it wasn't so bad, but originally they took an alliance to get through and were pretty brutal. It was a major roadblock for the first month or so and really turned a lot of players off.

I still have this image from CoP launch, when the old VEWS linkshell went in as one huge blob. As I recall, none of the parties that made it to the top of the tower actually beat the boss that night. :v:

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
People talking about classic / progression servers, have you tried any of the various private servers? I've played on several and have landed on one recently which I quite enjoy. You can really find one for any level of commitment.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

CyberLord XP posted:

People talking about classic / progression servers, have you tried any of the various private servers? I've played on several and have landed on one recently which I quite enjoy. You can really find one for any level of commitment.

I played a lot of Nasomi and if I were to win the lottery / become bedridden by a horrific injury I'd probably keep playing

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Nasomi is a loving slog, and didn’t really scratch the XI itch. I mean dunes parties camp in weird spots and go after weirder enemies because crabs and flies are way too loving hard.

Like this is XI at launch with no buffs what-so-ever.

I got War to 37 (I think) and immediately said “nope” and never looked back.

Coming back to XI after quitting just before Seekers came out has been much more satisfying as a lot of needed easy buttons have been hit (leveling, skill ups, availability of cheap low end gear). Hell I took a 49Thf to 99 casually solo only in like 2 days with trusts.

Getting 3200 exp on a worm in Zeruhn was amazingly satisfying.

Was considering getting the rest of my jobs to 99 for the poo poo of it and RoV stuff but Jesus that’s just too much. Focusing on Cor has been tough. Logging in with like 1.5mil was never so depressing. I’ve gotten a few hand outs and some help but holy poo poo everything is overly expensive. And of course I chose to take on Cor which is drat expensive to begin with...

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
I played on Eden up to 52 and I enjoyed it a lot. The custom content on nasomi kept me from ever playing there seriously.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Def a shame, COP is by far the best expansion. It's story rivals mainline FF games.
The biggest issue with FFXI is that CoP came out around the same time as WoW did and nobody wanted to stick around for level cap bullshit when they could go play a less demanding game instead.

The population would have stayed higher for much longer if they did everything different with CoP. Outside of the rings and Limbus, it was pretty awful to be honest.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
Siren is good. Lots of summoners are saying her Hysteric Assault will replace Ramuh's Volt Strike as the main AF/AC dps attack.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
One of the main strategies for a few of the CoP fights was "fight boss, run into a corner and die and hope auto-raise works, finish off boss before their HP regenerates". You would still lose exp of course. :ughh:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Necrosaro posted:

Siren is good. Lots of summoners are saying her Hysteric Assault will replace Ramuh's Volt Strike as the main AF/AC dps attack.

Not just that, her af ability also applies a massive buff to her.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

CyberLord XP posted:

I played to lv 40 on multiple classes on a hardcore server (you die on a job you go back to lv1) it was an interesting concept until the server owner started breaking the rules to keep players from giving up and leaving.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

That sounds miserable

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Yeah, especially because if you were a Taru you're that much more likely to be one-shot by some boss AOE attack.

Took a look into the private server code, looks like public code to reproduce all the missions doesn't exist yet, or private server owners may have coded it for their own servers and never added that to the public repository?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

You could go back to 1 just trying to level

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ghostinmyshell posted:

I played to lv 40 on multiple classes on a hardcore server (you die on a job you go back to lv1)

ryan_reynolds_but_why.gif

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I can't imagine playing vanilla FFXI and saying "no, no, I need it to be more annoying and lovely" and gleefully going onto a hardcore FFXI server.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

World War Mammories posted:

ryan_reynolds_but_why.gif

I dunno it felt like a survival game at that point where you are scraping by having to do your own crafting and pretty much everything and I leveled tons of alts in retail so it was a casual thing I did 2-3 hrs a day for fun. Got my ffxi fix out of my system for the year. It was a better experience than paying $15 logging into retail into a dead goon shell and realizing everyone I know is gone :smith:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

ghostinmyshell posted:

I dunno it felt like a survival game at that point where you are scraping by having to do your own crafting and pretty much everything and I leveled tons of alts in retail so it was a casual thing I did 2-3 hrs a day for fun. Got my ffxi fix out of my system for the year. It was a better experience than paying $15 logging into retail into a dead goon shell and realizing everyone I know is gone :smith:

When i hear 'for fun' the absolute last thing i expect is a permadeath 75 era xi private server.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
idk i kinda like it but i’m also nuts

what’s the state of private servers like Eden right now?

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Eden was shut down for about two weeks due to a C&D scare but it just came back up a day or two ago. I'm not really interested in playing again, though.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Private servers are all terrible, mainly because they are run by terrible people who don't know what they are doing or play favourites with their pals and make end game unfair.

You are better off just playing retail. The 75cap nostalgia isn't as fun as it seems.

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 21, 2020

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Says you.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

There are plenty out there that wax poetic over playing content at 75 and swear the 99 increase ruined the game.

I’ve heard of shells dedicated to playing some content at 75 only (may have been in here actually), but that private server poo poo is horrid.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Private servers rehash the worst era of FFXI.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

On a whim I decided to try to reclaim my old FFXI account to get the collection for $10 and god, just like last time I made an attempt to do this, it's just so unbelievably difficult. Somehow the SE support portal is broken and it keeps telling me a required field is empty even though I've entered the relevant info in it, no matter how many times/different things I type in the box it won't let me submit

it's genuinely enraging

ed: anyone know how to get around this?

no matter what I type it tells me the field is empty. i tried the phone, email, and chat submission and none would let me reach someone without that field, which seems to be broken. :psyduck:

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 27, 2020

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Since the seekers is $10 on steam I might just say gently caress it and start a new account, but before I do that, does anyone have a world pass to a semi-populated server?

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Frog Act posted:

On a whim I decided to try to reclaim my old FFXI account to get the collection for $10 and god, just like last time I made an attempt to do this, it's just so unbelievably difficult. Somehow the SE support portal is broken and it keeps telling me a required field is empty even though I've entered the relevant info in it, no matter how many times/different things I type in the box it won't let me submit

it's genuinely enraging

ed: anyone know how to get around this?

no matter what I type it tells me the field is empty. i tried the phone, email, and chat submission and none would let me reach someone without that field, which seems to be broken. :psyduck:

Isn't the POL ID something in the format of ABCD1234. Can you create a Square Enix Account (if you don't have one already)?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

WarMECH posted:

Isn't the POL ID something in the format of ABCD1234. Can you create a Square Enix Account (if you don't have one already)?

Hmm, I honestly can't remember, my POL ID was (I thought, at least) the same general name I used online when I first made it at PS2 launch in 2002, and it seems to fit but doesn't work for submitting a support ticket. I do have a SE account already from when I played FFXIV at launch, so I was hoping to link my super old account to it...I've heard support can usually take care of that in a jiffy, but since I can't get through the form to submit to them, I'm a bit stuck. I'll re try it using the format you just mentioned and see if that allows me to submit.

ed: dope that worked, I just tried the first four letters of my old account name and 1234 and it at least let me submit the ticket

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 27, 2020

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Speaking of private servers I had a lot of fun playing on the nightbrood server. It goes up to wotg Era, but maintains a bunch of qol improvements like xp gain, hp warps, stocked ah, and a bunch of other stuff. It's kind of like classic ffxi with just enough cheat codes to keep it challenging without being frustrating.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Ok, so if I haven't played this horrible game in a decade what do I need to buy? The last expansion I bought was WotG, so does buying the normal Aldouin expansion give me Abyssea or do I need to buy the Ultimate Starter Edition?

Honestly is it worth recovering my account with a single 75 and Zilart/CoP story completion or would starting from scratch with 30 free days be more efficient money-wise?

Can I just buy off Steam and apply the key(s) to my old account?

Is there anything else I should know (besides Don't Do It)?

And yes, I know how the game has changed and all the things mentioned in the OP.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Francis posted:

Ok, so if I haven't played this horrible game in a decade what do I need to buy? The last expansion I bought was WotG, so does buying the normal Aldouin expansion give me Abyssea or do I need to buy the Ultimate Starter Edition?

Honestly is it worth recovering my account with a single 75 and Zilart/CoP story completion or would starting from scratch with 30 free days be more efficient money-wise?

Can I just buy off Steam and apply the key(s) to my old account?

Is there anything else I should know (besides Don't Do It)?

And yes, I know how the game has changed and all the things mentioned in the OP.

Ultimate seekers edition will get you everything.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

They couldn’t retrieve my old account with my birthdate, email, name, address, and POL ID, none of which have changed since 2002, so I’m gonna buy it and start fresh via steam

Someone hook me up with a world pass plz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
World pass code:

Edit:redeemed

Necrosaro fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 28, 2020