Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Infinite Dendrogram sure took a loving hard right turn with this week's episode for a show about a teen playing a VRMMO :suspense:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Infinite Dendrogram sure took a loving hard right turn with this week's episode for a show about a teen playing a VRMMO :suspense:.

Post some spoilers please. Maybe I will begin watching then.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wasn’t kidding when I said that it’s literally an isekai masquerading as a VRMMO.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Allarion posted:

I wasn’t kidding when I said that it’s literally an isekai masquerading as a VRMMO.

It's not hard to notice with the big unsubtle hints dropped last week. I say even-odds the MMO world blurs into the real one a little by the end.

nielsm posted:

Post some spoilers please. Maybe I will begin watching then.

Main characters gets a quest to go rescue someone's kidnapped younger brother. The gang of NPC's in question is known for ransoming children for money, and the giant Minotaur that leads the gang will eat the children if the ransom is not paid. And then it gets even darker.

It just hard turns right into all that after an episode opener of some light-hearted MMO antics. I chuckled at him rolling another Tomb Pass though :allears:.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

sinky posted:

Wish I had the same level of self confidence as people who translate from Japanese to English without speaking either.

At that point I feel like it'd be less effort to just copy from sub scripts and the manga if you really wanted to go forward with it.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Maxwell Adams posted:

Oh, wait. Does that mean the censored version will no longer be available? That's hilarious.

This is honestly a shame because I think the censoring is funnier.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't like how this dumb show has become another culture war proxy.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1226900907742420993?s=19

Huh, guess I was ok on not renewing my Funi subscription after all. Hooray for my slacker ways

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The rightwing media companies had to shut it down because they were intimidated by its portrayal of a sexually confident GNC person who fucks women and hangs with the boys, and wears a sexy maid costume

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it really hasn't unless MAL scores count as culture

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I checked out the horny show and it was actually way more entertaining than I expected?? Also extremely horny

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

The rightwing media companies had to shut it down because they were intimidated by its portrayal of a sexually confident GNC person who fucks women and hangs with the boys, and wears a sexy maid costume

Absolutely.

Tales of Woe posted:

it really hasn't unless MAL scores count as culture

You have people in this very thread even talking about how it owns that funimation hosed over the translators cuz its somehow pwning chuds (?)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Who's ready for the anime awards hosted by xavier woods

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

lets hang out posted:

U

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Has it really, though? From my perspective it just seems like a dumb fuckup on Funi's side, but hardly the only one they've committed when it comes to shelving/dropping a show.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, with Vic's lawsuit in appeals stasis, there's gotta be SOMETHING.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's a culture war thing inasmuch as you subject yourself to the small number of people treating it as such

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
theres no culture war but there's a p common thing on this site, not exclusive to this sub, where people will imagine theoretical male reddit users getting mad at something and decide this is the ultimate good regardless of other consequences. like i remember some1 in some games thread thought it would be epic if the atelier games were explicitly straight because nerd dudes jack off to lesbians allegedly, nevermind the large lesbian audience for these games, and here the tlers did not get paid lol

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
dont mean to single that person out i just dont have a great memory, anyway its annoying imo

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ah yeah, it makes sense.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

there are absolutely some dudes on Twitter and the like who have no personality beyond “watches hentai” that are declaring war on funimation over their vicious leftist sjw censorship and blah blah blah just ignore them, they don’t matter.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 10, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lets hang out posted:

Whos ready for crunchyroll to stop paying their translators poverty wages

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

theres no culture war but there's a p common thing on this site, not exclusive to this sub, where people will imagine theoretical male reddit users getting mad at something and decide this is the ultimate good regardless of other consequences. like i remember some1 in some games thread thought it would be epic if the atelier games were explicitly straight because nerd dudes jack off to lesbians allegedly, nevermind the large lesbian audience for these games, and here the tlers did not get paid lol
I want to single that person out because their angle was specifically that rorona should explicitly have hosed a guy in the game where she has a daughter to 'show that shes grownup'

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If she has a daughter, I believe the deed was likely already done.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
*nodding* with Astrid's alchemical........................ ips cells

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Culture war was probably too strong of a label. I just dunno what else to call it. Just similar vibes to when xseed got majorly hosed finanically due to the senran kagura thing and people cheered as it being a good thing since theoretical chuds like senran kagura. It sucks!!!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Gust were a bunch of cowards for not having rorona's daughter be an advanced homonculus made out of horse poop and human bodily fluids

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not going to play them right now since I have to go through Hollow Ataraxia rn, but a question now that my curiosity's been piqued: Are the Atelier games a "Generational tale that you'll get a nice payoff if you've played them since the beginning" sorta thing, like the Joestar bloodline, or is it more of a "They share the Atelier (Person's Name) and mechanics, but nothing else" sorta thing?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

they come in trilogies within each of which there's returning characters and other minor payoffs for playing them in order.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

I want to single that person out because their angle was specifically that rorona should explicitly have hosed a guy in the game where she has a daughter to 'show that shes grownup'

the epic person saying "we need more good regular mom representation in jrpgs, so they should commit to her having hosed a man for her to be a proper regular mom"

Waffleman_ posted:

If she has a daughter, I believe the deed was likely already done.

she's an alchemist in a fantasy magic world where you can use alchemy to create artificial human life.

hell even if that wasn't the case it's not like she couldn't have an adopted daughter or something. bloodlines are fake

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 10, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Not going to play them right now since I have to go through Hollow Ataraxia rn, but a question now that my curiosity's been piqued: Are the Atelier games a "Generational tale that you'll get a nice payoff if you've played them since the beginning" sorta thing, like the Joestar bloodline, or is it more of a "They share the Atelier (Person's Name) and mechanics, but nothing else" sorta thing?
They come in sets of three. The arland trilogy (Rorona, Totori, Meruru), the Dusk trilogy (Ayesha, Escha & Logy, and Shallie) the mysterious trilogy (Sophie, Firis, Lydie & Suelle), and the Secret trilogy that just started (Ryza)

The general trend is rather than it being a blood relation thing, the next protagonist in the trilogy is the student of the previous character. So Totori is Rorona's student, and Meruru is Totori's student. The rorona trilogy recently got a fourth game to celebrate its anniversary, starring Rorona's daughter, but usually the gap between games in the trilogy is 5-7 years, not 20.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I feel like Rorona's daughter was adopted but I'm also not sure if I'm remembering that right because the game doesn't really make a big deal of it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tales of Woe posted:

they come in trilogies within each of which there's returning characters and other minor payoffs for playing them in order.

Endorph posted:

They come in sets of three. The arland trilogy (Rorona, Totori, Meruru), the Dusk trilogy (Ayesha, Escha & Logy, and Shallie) the mysterious trilogy (Sophie, Firis, Lydie & Suelle), and the Secret trilogy that just started (Ryza)

The general trend is rather than it being a blood relation thing, the next protagonist in the trilogy is the student of the previous character. So Totori is Rorona's student, and Meruru is Totori's student. The rorona trilogy recently got a fourth game to celebrate its anniversary, starring Rorona's daughter, but usually the gap between games in the trilogy is 5-7 years, not 20.
OK, so it seems like a rabbit hole that takes some investment.

From what Wikipedia's telling me, the Arland trilogy made it all to the switch, so maybe I should start with that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The games aren't especially plot heavy and each game has its own cast, the returning characters are mostly side characters. It's fun to see them grow over the course of a trilogy but you can just play one game in a trilogy and be fine.

The arland trilogy on switch is good, but keep in mind the version of Rorona on it is a remake, so it's actually got more modern conveniences in terms of gameplay than the two games 'after' it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Clarste posted:

I feel like Rorona's daughter was adopted but I'm also not sure if I'm remembering that right because the game doesn't really make a big deal of it.

She was

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

DisDisDis posted:

some1 in some games thread thought it would be epic if the atelier games were explicitly straight because nerd dudes jack off to lesbians allegedly, nevermind the large lesbian audience for these games

what in heavens, that's super dumb

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RottenK posted:

what in heavens, that's super dumb

a lot of people get very dumb about stuff like that because they hyperfocus on hypothetical straight men they can own instead of the diverse group of people that actually exist in reality and how they might be affected by stuff like that

even if atelier's audience was majority male itd still be a stupid thing to say, mind

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Endorph posted:

a lot of people get very dumb about stuff like that because they hyperfocus on hypothetical straight men they can own instead of the diverse group of people that actually exist in reality and how they might be affected by stuff like that

even if atelier's audience was majority male itd still be a stupid thing to say, mind

im not above gloating at upset chuds, but if someone wants to own them to the point of cheering on something that also upsets or hurts a lot of people who aren't terrible then they're taking it way too far

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

alright everyone, ill clear it all up

i knocked up rorona

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Beginning to think that championing puritan values in a bid to own the chuds might not be good.