Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The_Doctor posted:

What is the year in MHA anyway?

I think it's implied that it's actually in the future, but technology kind of stagnated after quirks emerged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The_Doctor posted:

What is the year in MHA anyway?
I'm putting this in spoilers because I don't know if the answer I remember has been put on film yet. However, it's a setting detail only and not a storyline spoiler.

Deku refers to something along the lines of "we'd be a century further along if it hadn't been for the problems Quirks caused!" and I think Deku is in the fifth generation post-quirks. Presumably some mix of social instability and the challenges of accomodating Quirk users slowed down major changes in society and so forth, while various versions of Momo were lashed to giant turbines and so on to address many of the specific problems we are facing down right now. It is a little strange that shops, houses etc. all look the same but some of this is probably just genre window dressing and/or Japan being deeply in love with lotsa robust concrete construction.

So, probably somewhere between 2080-2120 depending on when you think Quirks began. I'm not sure how long All Might's era of peace lasted, but presumably it was at least a decade or so, right?

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011
I like the idea that MHA is just set a hundred years after X-Men, the mutant gene is so commonplace that it's become the norm, and modern hero society is just the end point of mutant registration.

I do sometimes wonder if we'll learn anything more about early instances of quirks. Seems like it'd be an interesting and chaotic time. I can only imagine the conspiracy theories of that era, and the crusades that came about from it. Was there a cult based around that that glowing kid? Were there any clashes between quirk-having militants vs an oppressive government? I can see how that sort of chaos might set society back a hundred years.

That said, it's all such ancient history by the time of the series that they probably won't bother.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Some guy got "can walk on water" as a Quirk and boy howdy did he make a lot of money in the USA.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

The current year is measured by the epoch of the arrival of All Might. Like you would ABY/BBY in a Star Wars timeline.

It’s something like 16 AAM

All Might has been around much longer than that. He was already #1 and had been for a while when Endeavor became #2 and that was 25 years ago.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Some guy got "can walk on water" as a Quirk and boy howdy did he make a lot of money in the USA.

It was actually three guys in a trenchcoat, one had a walk on water Quirk, another had a turn water into something else Quirk, and the third had a bring back the dead Quirk.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
In Vigilantes, they talk about the city in Rhode Island which first licensed Quirk users. The popular assumption is that this is a backdoor reference to the City of Heroes MMORPG, which Horikoshi has mentioned as one of his influences. In CoH, Paragon City, R.I. got their first licensed super team in 1923.

If we're five generations along from there, then it's probably around 2050.

This is of course a total crack theory, but it kinda lines up.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Mirage posted:

In Vigilantes, they talk about the city in Rhode Island which first licensed Quirk users. The popular assumption is that this is a backdoor reference to the City of Heroes MMORPG, which Horikoshi has mentioned as one of his influences. In CoH, Paragon City, R.I. got their first licensed super team in 1923.

If we're five generations along from there, then it's probably around 2050.

This is of course a total crack theory, but it kinda lines up.

It's a Justice League reference not City of Heroes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
More accurately, it's referencing the same thing that City of Heroes is.

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Adder Moray posted:

All Might has been around much longer than that. He was already #1 and had been for a while when Endeavor became #2 and that was 25 years ago.

Yeah I'm pretty sure All Might has been #1 for like 30-35 years at this point.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

BlitznBurst posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure All Might has been #1 for like 30-35 years at this point.

Yep. He's also pushing 60 if he isn't already in his sixties. He was around Deku's age when Nana Shimura's kid was a small child. It's been long enough for that kid to grow up, have a kid of their own, and for that kid to grow up.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
In today's episode of My Hero Academia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxGf51Tghvc

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Bakugo passing on his experiences to the younger generation owns

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Aoyama went from being lame and annoying to good and wholesome in 5 seconds flat.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Gruckles posted:

Deku's dad is Van Hohenheim, and when we finally see him in a family photo he'll be shooting waterfalls out of his eyes.

Nah, 2003 Hohenheim's kid was the other green-haired guy who reminds people of a tree.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Man they were having a lot of fun with the aoyama reveal.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

In the manga, the shot of Aoyama standing outside Deku's window was the end of the chapter. That was a fun week of speculation.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yeah that stinger in the manga made everyone poo poo their pants.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

What a cute episode. I always forget this guy exists, glad he got some love.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i appreciate bakugo being able to understand the leader kid through the power of also thinking he's better than everyone

i like aoyama. excited for him to only have cameo roles for the next 20 episodes

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Fabricated posted:

Yeah that stinger in the manga made everyone poo poo their pants.

Not just Aoyama.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Aurora Borealis? At this time of year, at this time of day, in this part of the country, localized entirely in the provisional license remedial training?!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rhonne posted:

In the manga, the shot of Aoyama standing outside Deku's window was the end of the chapter. That was a fun week of speculation.
It pretty much singlehandedly restarted the "who's the traitor" argument in the manga thread for a solid month. :allears:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Mirage posted:

It turns out Deku's mom never had a husband. She was impregnated by midichlorians to create balance in the Force some funky power AfO has.

BABY BEAAAAM

I've heard people curious what the chaos looked like when quirks first emerged, but now I'm curious about the armageddon that'll break out when a few more generations pass and quirks are too nuts for anyone to control

also I like the idea that deku's dad is a criminal to parallel shiggy's grandma being a hero, but his dad shouldn't be anybody important, just some deadbeat and that's why deku doesn't care about him

edit: deku's grandparent(s) on his dad's side were some kind of minor villain(s), deku's dad rejected that path but is still kind of a low life. this is my head canon for the next ten minutes

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 10, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This is my head cannon.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

https://twitter.com/todobaku__/status/1226071594180599809

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

No, not at any time! Only when it was funny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtfHaJKW1zQ

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Bakugo only shows that face to Kirishima

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cephas posted:

Bakugo only shows that face to Kirishima

Which is a shame because Kirishima is a good boy who can do much better.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Lunatic Sledge posted:

BABY BEAAAAM

I've heard people curious what the chaos looked like when quirks first emerged, but now I'm curious about the armageddon that'll break out when a few more generations pass and quirks are too nuts for anyone to control

The Quirk Singularity Doomsday theory is one of the most intriguing aspects of the setting imo. Imagine how crazy the next Eri will be in 80 years. I like how it kind of ties into Aoyamas thing too, with him being someone whose own quirk negatively affects him and can't be controlled.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Nephthys posted:

The Quirk Singularity Doomsday theory is one of the most intriguing aspects of the setting imo. Imagine how crazy the next Eri will be in 80 years. I like how it kind of ties into Aoyamas thing too, with him being someone whose own quirk negatively affects him and can't be controlled.

It's also interesting because it's a problem that can't be easily solved by superheroes. I suspect the show won't get into it much because it's too complex an idea that won't pay off for generations, but it feel a little like the superpower equivalent to climate change. Makes me wonder what, if anything, society does to try to deal with it. Seems unsolvable, but then again, we were just introduced to someone who can apparently roll back evolution.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The solution is to petrify everyone on earth and let nature reclaim it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

TheBystander posted:

It's also interesting because it's a problem that can't be easily solved by superheroes. I suspect the show won't get into it much because it's too complex an idea that won't pay off for generations, but it feel a little like the superpower equivalent to climate change. Makes me wonder what, if anything, society does to try to deal with it. Seems unsolvable, but then again, we were just introduced to someone who can apparently roll back evolution.

Watch the show "From the New World" the entire premise is what society would look like in this exact scenario 1000 years from now.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

We're heading into DC's Kingdom Come territory with the singularity. (Though that world still had non-powered people.)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

M_Gargantua posted:

The solution is to petrify everyone on earth and let nature reclaim it.

The idea of MHA and Dr. Stone happening in the same universe is not one I had thought about but I am interested in this crossover.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

TheBystander posted:

Well, from my understanding it's less "quirks explicitly get stronger as you go down generations" and more "as people with powerful quirks interbreed you get progressively more powerful quirks," like what happened with shoto but on a mass, societal scale

So basically the obvious solution is "reverse eugenics" and I'm not sure how I feel about that

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

The idea of MHA and Dr. Stone happening in the same universe is not one I had thought about but I am interested in this crossover.

It occurs to me that for all I’ve heard the name, I don’t know a thing about Dr Stone.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

ninjewtsu posted:

Well, from my understanding it's less "quirks explicitly get stronger as you go down generations" and more "as people with powerful quirks interbreed you get progressively more powerful quirks," like what happened with shoto but on a mass, societal scale

So basically the obvious solution is "reverse eugenics" and I'm not sure how I feel about that

Seems like Overhaul was right all along

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

It occurs to me that for all I’ve heard the name, I don’t know a thing about Dr Stone.

Caleb Cook, MHA's manga translator, also does the translations for Dr Stone and he also does the trivia threads. From what I've seen it's pretty madcap. The protagonist is a genius scientist and uses crazy chemical reactions and engineering applications to get himself out of situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
mha hero society is already just barely avoiding total societal collapse. even where the anime is, if eri could control her powers, she and momo together would be capable of producing an infinite amount of matter.