Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

vaginite posted:

Awww drat :( it looked up my alley. Thanks,

Check out StarCrawlers maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MMF Freeway posted:

Star crawlers is good.

InXile makes stuff like Wasteland 2 and Bard’s tale 4 that’s slavishly devoted to being just like the old days. Game design has come a long way since then, so stuff like W2’s character build system has zero reason to exist. It doesn’t add challenge or interesting desicions, it just checks a “like the 80’s!” box and shits up the game.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

MMF Freeway posted:

Is this pretty good? It looks like it got mediocre reviews on launch but there’s been a lot of updates.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So that was that for Dishonored 2. Not sure how I feel about it. Played a non-lethal run and ended up wearing out my quickload key, partly due to my own impatience and inexperience, but also due to issues with the sound design and button prompts, among other things.

Definitely not a bad game, but not enough of an improvement over its predecessor for me to wholeheartedly recommend it. Weirdly and unexpectedly, the map I enjoyed the most was the one with the Timepiece. That was the one time it really clicked, for whatever reason.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

vaginite posted:

Awww drat :( it looked up my alley. Thanks,
You could do what I recently did and regret 30hrs of your life you'll never get back:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Oh, it's bad luck to be you...

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Phlegmish posted:

So that was that for Dishonored 2. Not sure how I feel about it. Played a non-lethal run and ended up wearing out my quickload key, partly due to my own impatience and inexperience, but also due to issues with the sound design and button prompts, among other things.

Definitely not a bad game, but not enough of an improvement over its predecessor for me to wholeheartedly recommend it. Weirdly and unexpectedly, the map I enjoyed the most was the one with the Timepiece. That was the one time it really clicked, for whatever reason.

The two most loved maps are Clockwork Mansion and Timepiece Mansion, so you aren't alone

Those were the standout but I even thought karnaca, asylum, palace were real good. I think the one I didn't really like was the dust district, conservatorium and return to dunwall (mostly from it becoming a frantic witch hunt) though it was neat at times.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

I'm holding out until it drops to something reasonable, like maybe $230

CA's MO is to regularly put their base games on sale for $10-15 after they've been out for a while, and the DLC usually goes down to 50-60% off. If you're not buying immediately at launch and wait for sales, each game comes out to ~$50-60 for the complete package. TA:W I has already been there for years, TA:W II is $20 right now, and all it's DLC except the one that released in December has been at least 50$ off.

Maybe $60 seems expensive for a three-year old AAA title + several of content-rich expansions, but it ain't Trainz.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 10, 2020

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

vaginite posted:

Is this pretty good? It looks like it got mediocre reviews on launch but there’s been a lot of updates.

Star Crawlers is okay. It gets pretty grindy and gameplay effectively ends about 2/3 of the way through when your team hits max level but it's fine for what it is.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

I've been playing Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines lately to prepare for the sequel. Never played it before and I can definitely feel the 2004 jank. I'm really enjoying everything except the combat - I think I'm missing some kind of cheese method for most fights. That bishop boss is just impossible but the quest to kill him seems to be optional so I didn't do it.

I was just told to go into Chinatown, is there much of the game still left?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Stickman posted:

CA's MO is to regularly put their base games on sale for $10-15 after they've been out for a while, and the DLC usually goes down to 50-60% off. If you're not buying immediately at launch and wait for sales, each game comes out to ~$50-60 for the complete package. TA:W I has already been there for years, TA:W II is $20 right now, and all it's DLC except the one that released in December has been at least 50$ off.

Maybe $60 seems expensive for a three-year old AAA title + several of content-rich expansions, but it ain't Trainz.

Yeah I really think being patient is a good idea with these games, knowing how expensive the total package will end up being otherwise. I preordered 1 and 2, and played them both enough to justify it, but I'm going to wait until there's a steep discount for 3. It really does get frustrating knowing that even the core factions aren't "complete" without DLC, even if they're fully playable from the start, but the good news is that by the time 3 comes out I'll still have a shitload of content to gently caress around with from the first two games to keep me distracted.

I've also been waiting for a good discount on 3 Kingdoms, but they've been a lot slower to significantly drop the price on that, I guess because they don't expect to sell as much DLC for it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Superanos posted:

I've been playing Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines lately to prepare for the sequel. Never played it before and I can definitely feel the 2004 jank. I'm really enjoying everything except the combat - I think I'm missing some kind of cheese method for most fights. That bishop boss is just impossible but the quest to kill him seems to be optional so I didn't do it.

It thins right out. You're maybe 2/3 through or even 3/4? Save your flamethrower fuel and don't be afraid to cheat, the chinatown boss is just awful.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I believe the cheese method was to play a Tremere.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Next on my list is Star Wars: Jedi Outcast. Played through most of the first level and it's not bad so far, very cinematic, pretty big leap coming from Dark Forces 2. For a 2002 game it doesn't even look terrible with 1080p modded in.

Still having trouble figuring out the best way to deal with enemies. Circle strafing like it's Doom doesn't seem to be very effective, but even when I stand completely still I miss most of my shots like an idiot.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

Next on my list is Star Wars: Jedi Outcast. Played through most of the first level and it's not bad so far, very cinematic, pretty big leap coming from Dark Forces 2. For a 2002 game it doesn't even look terrible with 1080p modded in.

Still having trouble figuring out the best way to deal with enemies. Circle strafing like it's Doom doesn't seem to be very effective, but even when I stand completely still I miss most of my shots like an idiot.

you get a better weapon later on

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

*installs and boots up RAGE*

wait, this is borderlands. how did I reinstall borderlands again?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

wait, it's like they decided to do borderlands/mad max/fallout but with zero sense of humor. or any color. this is the most brown game I have ever seen

Orv
May 4, 2011
RAGE 1 is bad. There are people who will tell you, nay insist that it has good enemy AI but they are perfidious knaves and should not be trusted.

Just skip it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I set the difficulty to normal and just died in the first proper gameplay section of the game, and I'd like to blame the ammo system because it's so unintuitive. You don't pick up ammo automatically, nor do you loot it from these enemies: you have to spot the brown boxes on the brown furniture and press e to pick it up. Then you have an extremely slow reloading sequence.

I get that it supports the feeling of horror and powerlessness - you're only barely surviving being in this bandit camp - but it's so weird, given my expectations from id's previous games and the marketing around RAGE 2. Shouldn't this be a fast power fantasy type shooter? Like, even Quake was all "yeah this place is hosed up, now shoot the bastards" about it.

I guess this follows more of the Doom 3 model, or...

idk, I'm curious about the history and trends in the FPS genre surrounding this game, but I'm also pretty sure I don't want to boot it back up and play through that section because it wasn't fun.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Stickman posted:

I believe every game with a ton of DLC should at the very least have the option of... you know, buying the game and the DLC all in a single package (a GOTY edition, if you will).

Superanos posted:

Guns become much more effective later on.

If you're using the Wesp patch (I think it might be pre-installed in certain versions of the game?) you shouldn't bother with the flamethrower, it was nerfed into the ground.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I will until my dying breath maintain that RAGE has some of the best gun feel in any game I've played; the sawed-off shotgun in particular is incredible and shooting a dude in the leg as he run towards you and watching him do a flip because his leg got thrown back by the impact will never get old.

...but yeah, I can't really recommend it outside of that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edmond Dantes posted:

I will until my dying breath maintain that RAGE has some of the best gun feel in any game I've played; the sawed-off shotgun in particular is incredible and shooting a dude in the leg as he run towards you and watching him do a flip because his leg got thrown back by the impact will never get old.

...but yeah, I can't really recommend it outside of that.

Rage was so good when you were shooting poo poo that it actually made the game more frustrating. Why would you make a game where the shooting is so fun and then pad it with so much stuff where you aren’t shooting poo poo!?

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

I set the difficulty to normal and just died in the first proper gameplay section of the game, and I'd like to blame the ammo system because it's so unintuitive. You don't pick up ammo automatically, nor do you loot it from these enemies: you have to spot the brown boxes on the brown furniture and press e to pick it up. Then you have an extremely slow reloading sequence.

I get that it supports the feeling of horror and powerlessness - you're only barely surviving being in this bandit camp - but it's so weird, given my expectations from id's previous games and the marketing around RAGE 2. Shouldn't this be a fast power fantasy type shooter? Like, even Quake was all "yeah this place is hosed up, now shoot the bastards" about it.

I guess this follows more of the Doom 3 model, or...

idk, I'm curious about the history and trends in the FPS genre surrounding this game, but I'm also pretty sure I don't want to boot it back up and play through that section because it wasn't fun.

I played Rage 2 on Game Pass, and it has a much more colorful palette and at least tries to have a sense of humor. The power ups also get pretty stupid once you get a few leveled up. It's not a full price game for me, but great for the $5 I spent on GP that month.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

So I finally got around to playing Coffee Talk and it's uh, bad. The writing is stiff, the characters are bland, it's a pretty unabashed knock-off of valhalla (even in situations that don't make sense, like your character running a coffee shop that opens from 11pm-5am because valhalla did it), and the characters themselves aren't really that interesting.

I think the biggest issue here is how dull it is, honestly. There's not much of a pull with your friend, who works as an aspiring writer on the side while working a job at the paper (echoes of Donovan here, though obviously not the boss). She's writing a novel based on your coffee shop, which :rolleyes:. Lua, the succubus and Baileys, her elf boyfriend, are your two first customers and they chat a bit about how Baileys has a bitchy boss (he does freelance design work for companies) before talking about how their parents don't want them to date because succubi are sluts and elves are holy creatures. There's also a very boring cop who shows up, a vampire and (i assume) his werewolf boyfriend, a catgirl idol singer, and multiple indie dev characters. If this all sounds really loving dumb, it is.

1/5

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If you want to play RAGE play the sequel. I don't think it's worth full price but as a 20 dollar game you can't go wrong. The guns and powers feel real good, the combat is meaty and fun, the open world isn't that good but it's fun blowing up enemy cars and convoys and the main character's VO (for male and female) are charmingly smug.

I wouldn't get it if it's more expensive than 20, though. It has a ton of filler but for 20 bucks the combat can carry you through that filler.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Given my current love affair with Destiny 2 I'm unwilling to throw down dosh on Rage 2, but in the future as it keeps going on sales (or gets into a humble monthly perhaps) I will pick it up and try to enjoy it!

I installed RAGE today due to whim and 'cause I bought like a million older shooters over xmas and I've been trying to play them on and off. It's neat installing stuff I bought and never played, as it feels like a surprise present from past!me to present!me. (see also: I finally installed Dangan Ronpa 2 and marathoned it and drat that was fun! Absolutely wild writing with some cool twists and I enjoyed the ending. Very fun and I hope to pick up Ultra Despair Girls and/or V3 at some point when they're on sale.)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i read a lot of terrible goon fiction and my #1 dialogue tip is 'don't write like people talk, write like people talk in good books'.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Orv posted:

RAGE 1 is bad. There are people who will tell you, nay insist that it has good enemy AI but they are perfidious knaves and should not be trusted.

Just skip it.

If you got RAGE for $5 play it on easy and quit the moment it is no longer fun. There have been so many other good FPS games since then, Prey, Dishonored, DOOM, Borderlands 2/3 I guess. If you really are hard up for a post apocalyptic wasteland game then Mad Max could fit the bill.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I quite like Rage (haven't picked up 2 yet though), but it's not essential playing. The gunplay is great, but outside of that you have the driving which was ok, but never especially engaging. The environments are nice, but you don't have many, and you're pretty well funnelled towards them all so there's little to really explore. Frankly, it didn't need the open world, it doesn't take advantage of it in the slightest and the driving between points is unnecessary and feels more like busywork than a necessary aspect of the game.

But oh man, that feeling when you've got a bunch of wingsticks, a pocketful of Fat Mammas, and a shotgun loaded with pop rockets and are just going to town on the enemies is great.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Orv posted:

Just skip it.

the pistol is one of the worst pistols I have ever used in an fps game

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
A few pages back, someone asked for a big flashing lights hack and slash ARPG like Diablo. Grim Dawn can get there despite the somber tone of the game with poo poo exploding all around in barely controlled chaos, but I'm going to recommend Chronicon.

Despite it being out in early access since 2015, it's continually updated and one hell of a one man project. Each of the four classes has four skill trees representing different subclasses and respec potions are cheap and common enough for experimentation between them. It's a genuinely fun game, and for $10, you won't find much better.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

GrandpaPants posted:

Star Crawlers is okay. It gets pretty grindy and gameplay effectively ends about 2/3 of the way through when your team hits max level but it's fine for what it is.

:( is there anything modern that can even start to compare to Wizardry? I've waited for so long.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

sebmojo posted:

i read a lot of terrible goon fiction and my #1 dialogue tip is 'don't write like people talk, write like people talk in good books'.

Yeah 'organic' dialogue has a place in film and television, and even then it's something to be used intelligently and not a default, but it really doesn't work in prose.

Like the advantage is it feels 'sincere' to hear people talk like they actually talk but that doesn't come across when reading. It's just annoying.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
RAGE had a really good shotgun. I wouldn't recommend Mad Max to anybody, the combat is about as bland as bland can be

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I thought Dungeon Warfare II might be better than the first one but now it's doing the same BS spinning plate stages where you have to account for everything when it wants you to.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

vaginite posted:

:( is there anything modern that can even start to compare to Wizardry? I've waited for so long.

Etrian Odyssey? (please port these to PC thanks)

I was always more a Might and Magic guy and I would probably kill for World of Xeen but with a modern UI because wow is equipping poo poo in that game frustrating now.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

vaginite posted:

You might want to check out the Old School PC RPG thread in the retro forum, that subject comes up there fairly regularly. The only name that stuck with me from the most recent one was Elminage Gothic, which is supposed to be pretty decent?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I'm guessing I'm about 50-75% through Disco elysium and I have strangely mixed feelings about it. While playing I am mostly sucked in by the writing and amount of thought put into the story and setting, but when not playing I don't really want to start it up again because of how drawn out and annoying the gameplay can be. Running all over the map with no fast travel is dull but at least they seem to have patched in "click and hold" to run in a direction rather than having to clickclickclickclick all the time. The pacing feels very up and down as I run out of stuff to do or get stuck.

For example, I was stuck for a while because I would die from a double morale hit every time I talked to the union boss for the first time when he spoke about my missing gun, but I was trapped in that area until I did. After far too long I found the numbers above my HP/moral bars were actually showing how many "health kits" I had for each and could be clicked to use them even during conversations. The game had never highlighted this and I only found it out because I gave up and looked up a guide on how to get out of the area. Speaking of unmentioned UI stuff, the game also never pointed out the Thought cabinet screen either, I only went looking and found it after seeing people talk about it here

The first day seemed full of things to do, but the 2nd was almost devoid of activities because Kim was off delivering the body and it turned out I needed him for most of the stuff I could do, so I ended up buying several books and just advancing time for most of the day. On the third day a new area opens up and there was a ton of stuff to do again, but now I'm on the 4th day and everything has come to a halt again because I've done everything except convince the Hardie boys to talk via a high level Rhetoric check. The problem is my Rhetoric sucks but I don't have much to do to level up anymore and the plot won't advance until I can. It's possible I might be able to level up or unlock helpful bonuses if I could pass some more of the white skill checks which your map screen helpfully has a list of, however despite it being a map screen it doesn't actually show the location of these checks and I have forgotten where many of them are. Even some of the ones I remember the location of seem buggy because the skill check doesn't appear, e.g. the map wall in the book store shows an Interface check but I am fairly sure that was to steal the map and either I did that or I bought it because nothing shows when I go there and I do have the map already.

Adhibhautika
Feb 28, 2004
Evil Beast of a Thousand bodies

vaginite posted:

Check out https://store.steampowered.com/app/985950/Operencia_The_Stolen_Sun/

It's also on gamepass where I've been playing it.
I haven't really put a lot of hours in it yet, but it scratches the itch better than Bard's Tale 4 I think.

It's kinda like an eastern european wizardry. A bit janky but I like the folklore in it.

Just ignore the horrible voice acting in the tutorial area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Guns become much more effective later on.

If you're using the Wesp patch (I think it might be pre-installed in certain versions of the game?) you shouldn't bother with the flamethrower, it was nerfed into the ground.

Thanks. I guess I'll start looking for guns as I just unlocked the last hub. Also got lots of money from the night club quest in Downtown so I'm not afraid of spending some.

I have that unofficial patch, it's required for the game to even run on a modern PC. I didn't get the "Plus" content though because everyone recommended the non-Plus version for a first playthrough.