Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'm of two minds on this. I do agree that home ownership in a market where capital is investing in homes in order to extract wealth is a bad idea. But I've seen how changing zoning laws at the federal level like what got done in Japan worked for them.

The middle class has way too much of their equity in homes. Making homes an investment is literally the worst idea because then some people can't have homes. You need shelter to survive. And while I could delve into a huge thing about use value versus exchange value, what I'll say is that opening up property to development for homes is cool and good.

My worry in the future is that when the boomers die they sell their homes who will buy them will largely be corporations and so no one can own a home. Everyone has a landlord. And that will cause massive instability. Then no one has a stake in the market and you're screaming towards barbarism or fascism as there's another crisis of capital because people are furious at constant theft.

The Japanese seemed to have conquered this particular demon. And while they having falling birthrates, so it's easier, they were able to largely solve this problem decades ago. Houses are artificially scarce for bullshit reasons. Eliminate the bullshit reasons. Build more houses to the point where investing in one other than to live in it would be stupid.

If every suburban homeowner rented their house instead, they would more accurately perceive their class interests, rather than seeing themselves as petty lords. They’d also have no incentive to block the construction of new housing, and would be much more supportive of things like nationwide rent control. Plus a crash in housing values would only affect the corporations that owned them, rather than wiping out ordinary people’s life savings.

I agree with the Japan example. Housing should be treated like a long term consumer good, something you buy because you need it, like a car. We should be subsidizing other more socially useful means of wealth creation for the middle class instead, like selling government bonds that could also be used to fund infrastructure projects.

Polybius91 posted:

On the plus side, it will hopefully radicalize more millennials and zoomers as we grow up because none of us can afford homes and so we're not tied up in the homeowner mentality.

Capitalism devours the middle class it depends on.

It’s already happening. Look at the most recent Irish elections. Failure to build enough housing was probably why a lot of young people voted for the left wing party.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

spouse posted:

As long as we get our own version of Sargon of Akkad running for office.

it's what ended up happening to the scandinavian social-democratic parties. the labour movements lost control and suddenly there were petes everywhere, gnawing on all the wiring

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

spouse posted:

Me, explaining to a crowd at a city hall debate about why it's perfectly legitimate to donate money on patreon to rule 34 artists and that I should be seen as a patron of the arts, as the website's name implies.

Whatever, kinkshaming is the bedfellow of queershaming and sexshaming. Tell em to shove it. As long as it’s not evil, the heart wants what it wants.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

spouse posted:

As long as we get our own version of Sargon of Akkad running for office.

Jordan Peterson is currently dying in a Russian hospital.

edit: gently caress he's canadian isn't he

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is that from his all beef diet?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

John Wick of Dogs posted:

i think it's from the drugs to which he was hopelessly addicted, though i'm sure the diet didn't help

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Benzo addiction, complicated by his all beef diet.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The only reason his daughter is not dying is that she wasn’t stupid enough to actually partake of her own grift.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1227048316497780736

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Vermin Supreme spotted!

https://twitter.com/people4bernie/status/1227042153051738112?s=21

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

V. Illych L. posted:

AOC has obama-level charisma and is a true godsend for the left. a generational talent

Presidential talent? :kiddo:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1227042472628510720

Edit:

Mayor Cheat really going full press for the Boomer vote.

https://twitter.com/carolinerkenny/status/1227049546418720769

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 11, 2020

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

This seems poorly thought out.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This seems like it could actually gently caress Bernie over?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Apparently he won the Libertarian primary in NH last month

Imagine following the Libertarian primary so closely and editing the Wikipedia for it to such detail

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Uh, why?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Actually, Bernie voters are young and energized. If it fucks anyone, it will probably be elderly centrists who really aren’t invested in any one candidate.

“What? The street’s closed? I have to walk an extra 7 blocks to vote? But there’s no ramp on that side! Well, who really cares. I’m just gonna vote for whichever nice person ends up winning.”

Unfortunately, it also really hurts disabled voters.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

gandlethorpe posted:

Apparently he won the Libertarian primary in NH last month

Imagine following the Libertarian primary so closely and editing the Wikipedia for it to such detail

I last met up with Vermin in July last year, at Rainbow Nationals in Wisconsin. He told me he was going to pursue the libertarian party nomination, laid out some math that made it seem perfectly achievable, we talked a bit about whether he'd do a 'colbert turn' and run authentically, or preserve his clown persona. His personal views are basically all summed up with the words 'Mutual Aid.'

e: in the overton window at the time was Trump accepting help from foreign entities, which Trump was arguing is perfectly fine (and the DOJ was clearly going along with it), so I asked Vermin if he's ever been approached, he said no, I asked if he'd accept it, I think we arrived upon 'why the hell not at this point?'

We had a jolly laugh.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 11, 2020

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Actually, Bernie voters are young and energized. If it fucks anyone, it will probably be elderly centrists who really aren’t invested in any one candidate.

“What? The street’s closed? I have to walk an extra 7 blocks to vote? But there’s no ramp on that side! Well, who really cares. I’m just gonna vote for whichever nice person ends up winning.”

old people vote. a lot. when they die, it will be with a badly in their hand

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Weird BIAS posted:

Benzo addiction, complicated by his all beef diet.

Benzo addiction that he didn’t want to treat like a normal person, so he went to Russia because every US doctor refused the procedure he wanted (being put in a medically induced coma, so he could “fast-forward” through the withdrawal process). Now he is handicapped for life and can’t speak.

And this is the guy that the alt-right turn to for guidance on self-improvement...

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Cpt_Obvious posted:

They can/should vote absentee.

Anyone who can vote absentee should. New Hampshire limits who is able to, but the disabled is one of those classes.

Stonelegs
Apr 15, 2003

I'll have a coke...

Cpt_Obvious posted:

My observation, as someone who lives in a retirement community, is that nothing can stand in the way of seniors voting. But I can see minor inconveniences stopping Gen-Xers from voting.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Presidential talent? :kiddo:
I wouldn't mind seeing her be the light world version of Pete: running for president as soon as she's able.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

If you're disabled and don't vote absentee... well, why? It's specifically to make your life easier.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

My entire TL is dunking on Pete tonight, seems like:

https://twitter.com/proustmalone/status/1227007500119150592

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TyrantWD posted:

Benzo addiction that he didn’t want to treat like a normal person, so he went to Russia because every US doctor refused the procedure he wanted (being put in a medically induced coma, so he could “fast-forward” through the withdrawal process). Now he is handicapped for life and can’t speak.

And this is the guy that the alt-right turn to for guidance on self-improvement...

wait seriously? is he brain dead now?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TyrantWD posted:

What? ...What?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wait seriously? is he brain dead now?

it's not really clear since his huckster daughter is the only person giving any info

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Trump will do something like this in Wisconsin in November. It's going to be an extremely dirty election and people need to prepare for it.

Oh and yeah, Trump will absolutely weaponize the DoJ against Jane Sanders.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

kidkissinger posted:

it's not really clear since his huckster daughter is the only person giving any info

what is she saying? could she be faking the whole thing and he will just appear "cured".

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Maybe. It seems like it would piss people off though as well.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Mat Cauthon posted:

My entire TL is dunking on Pete tonight, seems like:

https://twitter.com/proustmalone/status/1227007500119150592

Wowsers.
Also, healthcare is a reach but yeah totally just gonna pass a constitutional amendment to take money out of politics

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

didnt he finish it a few hours ago?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

TyrantWD posted:

gently caress I forgot about that part.

Yeah he was in a coma for 8 days or something. It's all just loving stupid wild.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Young and energized, but also poorer and with Jess time to spare

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah, that rally was today, happening parallel to the Bernie events drawing massive lines.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah it seems like he did: "tried to rattle Democrats on Monday with a rally"

Are we all just arzying for no good reason now?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Hey folks a Trump rally Monday won't hurt voter turnout on Tuesday.

Grouchio posted:

Yeah it seems like he did: "tried to rattle Democrats on Monday with a rally"

Are we all just arzying for no good reason now?

Pretty much what this thread will be for the next several months.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Office Pig posted:

This seems poorly thought out.

These people are idiots. Almost no one lives in the areas they shut down. There’s a hotel, the arena, and some commercial buildings with a handful of apartments on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

TyrantWD posted:

Do you have a source for that? I believe the russia medicine thing, I've seen stories on that... but the rest of it... what the gently caress?