Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Part XI: You asked for this

Meet Gaius Brutus, our PC for the mercenary playthrough. He'll show us why a campaign relying solely on combat is an incredible pain in the rear end.

The prologue has us assigned as Gracius's guard. Our gear is fine for now, but that'll change soon.

: On my way.

Well, that could've been worse.

Crap. Who will pay us now? At least we can exact bloody revenge.

The assassin isn't hard to kill.

Poor Gracius. Might as well take his stuff, since he doesn't need it.

Notice we didn't pick up the metal sphere? Our PER is too low to spot it.

I'm sure it'll go smoothly. There have never been any complications in this game so far.

: Alright, let's go.

WHO COULD'VE PREDICTED

But seriously, how does Cado stay in business when he's backstabbing everyone?

Alright, time to chop these thugs down.

Again, not a hard fight. Vardanis is there, but don't expect him to contribute -- he does little damage and is certain to die after a few turns. Theoretically you can save him, but I've never done it.

RIP Vardanis.

A sound observation, game.

If you go see Cado, he extorts you on threat of death. Are you surprised?

Back to the inn.

Oh yeah, the money is gone too. Honest!

Off to Feng's.

Sounds good! :downs:

Fun fact: My first playthrough was as a mercenary and I totally bought Feng's horse poo poo. It wasn't until much later I discovered I'd been cheated.

I'll admit, Feng's a drat good actor.

Cassius dies, etc.

Feng sells us a fake ring as a reward. Thanks, Feng!

Time to join the Imperial Guards.

: Why do we have to act like raiders attacking our own people?

Good thing we have no morals!

: Yes.

So. This fight.

It's against two guards in light metal armor armed with axes (one-handed and two-handed), two guards in heavy armor with shields (one has a spear, the other has a sword), and a merchant constantly sniping you with a crossbow.

I hate this fight. Part of the problem is that I don't have enough levels in combat skills to tackle any big fights at this point, my equipment is dog poo poo, and the guards in heavy armor nullify most of my damage.

loving look at this. 7 points of damage and none of it affects his HP. At least his armor gets dented.

Whoops, looks like my AI partners are dead and I'm down to 7 HP.

That's another thing: the AI doesn't seem to have any tactics beyond "attack nearest target." Sure, they're not brain dead (they'll vary strikes, characters with ranged weapons try to stay at range), but it's not like they'll try flanking maneuvers.

I saw this screen four more times after this.

Death Count: 15

After the fifth death, I reloaded an earlier save and spent almost all of my money buying heavier armor and a bigger shield. I also forged an iron axe.

For fun, I decided to walk around town with nothing on.

Heeey! :mad:

I also tried some (ugh) tactics here by running around the wagon in the hopes of funneling someone towards me. It worked. Nets are super useful here.

Astonishingly, the three of us are alive with only the trader left.

This is for your sniping, you little turd.

Remember, no morals.

We rob the corpses of pretty much everything.

Man, this application process is brutal.

: Kill the other two?

Eh, hell with it.

Compared to the last fight, this one is a breeze.

: No spoils of war for the victor?

And just like that, we're a legionary in the Imperial Guards.

Next Time: Carrinas makes his move

rudecyrus fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I find the Merc/Guard playthrough where you don't worry about anything but pumping combat skills to be the campaign where you just totally ruin your enemies, past the early part. This is in part because the Guard gives you a bunch of bonus training, and like +20% to your defenses and attack skills on top of your normal stats and skillpoints gets pretty nuts. Similarly, you slowly accrue extra 'training' bonuses from getting enough experience and enough of a bodycount. By the end of the campaign, my full 'I know nothing about the plot, I just stab people' Guard character had like +30 or +35% to all combat skills from 'training' alone.

If you save Vardinis, you don't get anything; you actually make less money (though you can Streetwise him into paying you a bigger cut) for no gain.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 11, 2020

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wow, this really is the short end of the stick as far as the game plot goes isnt it?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One of the themes of this game is PCs who primarily and only Do Violence often end up the tools of others, because what else will they do?

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly, the playthroughs showcasing the other paths really do contrast this one very nicely. It's nicely done how the other stories that you know keep cropping up in this mission.... but you're just a heavy club that keeps getting swung.

The part with Feng was especially funny. Feng is REALLY good at what he does, but I think playing an ignorant character showcases that best.... but only with the context of knowing, first.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wondering how this is going to end up. just stabbed to death at night by assassins in bed.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The interconnected story aspect of this game is the single best part of it. The campaign isn't actually that long, and you'll still get a satisfying story playing a single plot, but you get the whole story by playing everyone. There's stuff in the Praetor plotline that seemed really random until I played the Thief, or when I saw the Merch playthrough in Teron here in the LP I'd just finished the Assassin and was like 'MOTHERFUCKERS'. It's great.

I think Feng is my favorite minor character in the game. Except maybe Militiades.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Hahahaha, I like the game calling you out on being 0/2 on properly guarding people.

These Imperial Guards are assholes but luckily for them, they got Brutus watching their backs.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Part XII: Blood for the blood god

We're at the Teron barracks. Before getting our next assignment, we need to get some things out of the way.

First, killing the poo poo out of the thugs near the tavern.

Then we convince Rhaskos to poison the wine at the Aurelian outpost and kill them too.

Man, this is a piece of cake compared to other playthroughs!

We finish up by slaughtering the bandits holding Tiberius hostage. I got the Terminator achievement, as you can see.

Enough of that; we need to get back to work.

Soundtrack: Imperial Guard I

Carrinas means business.

Geez, how green are these recruits?

Naturally, we go with the block option.

Any option is fine, but I prefer to attack the exterior guards.

The fight is nothing special: there are more enemies in the tower, but they're occupied by our allies.

Christ. I don't think I can convey how tedious some of the fights can be. When you've got multiple people in heavy armor and shields blocking damage or straight-up absorbing it, these scuffles become grinding bores.

We're officially awesome!

The quartermaster has a nice selection of items, which we'll make use of shortly.

Place your bets on whether this goes smoothly.

: My Lord. I'm sure you're aware of the situation...

Oops, I didn't put any points into the speech skills!

No regrets!

For a noble, Antidas is a tough old bastard.

Eep.

RIP Antidas. Unfortunately, this doesn't make the fight much easier.

Cue a long, interminable fight that ends in death.

And then two more after that!

Death Count: 18

Eventually, I start throwing bombs.

Sometimes it's pure luck whether you survive. Just before the above screenshot, I was hit with a CS which did something like 20 points of damage. I decided to reload a save, because gently caress that noise.

I stumble into a winning strategy by shanking Antidas and then retreating towards friendlies. Healing salves are a must, or else you'll take a dirt nap via blood loss.

That's Dellar, managing to hold off five Guards. I swear, the friendly AI is braindead at times.

Dellar finally dies and we mop up the lone spearman.

Thanks. Could you give us some people that aren't loving idiots, next time?

We're a centurion now! :hist101: Oh, and we're being arrested.

: Is it necessary?

: Why not go with the questioning?

: I can handle it. Trust me.

We could escape, kill the guards, and go to Maadoran that way... but I'm going to wait. The outcome is a little more intriguing.

One more side playthrough, and then it's back to Octavia.

Next Time: Kleptomania

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Antidas Fight is honestly one of the best fights in the game. There's a nice actual balance between trying to be a hero (because as you saw here, the friendlies will lose if you don't chip in; Dellar is a loving nightmare of a warrior and Antidas is no slouch with his heavy crossbow) and having to keep yourself alive by not biting off too much.

Also, if you have 6 Int, you can come up with a better plan during the tower assault and the Centurion promotes you and gives you 5% training in your melee skills as a reward. It was the one not-idiot thing my Guard hero did!

Similarly, a Guard who is much better at talking than fighting can actually prevent outright war here, and a really smart one can trick Antidas into letting Carrinas declare him an Emperor to defuse the whole situation. You actually get totally different training as you get a bunch of political tutoring instead! It's neat.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Night10194 posted:

The Antidas Fight is honestly one of the best fights in the game. There's a nice actual balance between trying to be a hero (because as you saw here, the friendlies will lose if you don't chip in; Dellar is a loving nightmare of a warrior and Antidas is no slouch with his heavy crossbow) and having to keep yourself alive by not biting off too much.

Also, if you have 6 Int, you can come up with a better plan during the tower assault and the Centurion promotes you and gives you 5% training in your melee skills as a reward. It was the one not-idiot thing my Guard hero did!

Similarly, a Guard who is much better at talking than fighting can actually prevent outright war here, and a really smart one can trick Antidas into letting Carrinas declare him an Emperor to defuse the whole situation. You actually get totally different training as you get a bunch of political tutoring instead! It's neat.

Oh yeah, there are a bunch of different outcomes for this quest, but this was the only one my thick-as-pigshit mercenary could take. :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hey, if you put those points in kill mans better, they pay off. You really, really feel the difference between 'giant fast healthy idiot' and 'more balanced PC who isn't a dumb axe swinger'.

And EVERY Guard quest can be solved by killing enough of the right people!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Huh, this is quite the different outcome to the other playthroughs! I thought the Imperial commander was always supposed to die.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Events will actually go very differently on the major storylines. It's why they're so fun.

It's also why I kind of find the developers going 'oh you play as a nobody in this game!' the wrong way to describe it. The PC is a serious lynchpin that really affects how the world goes; there's a default world state if you ignore everything but the main plot and just press ahead, but if you participate you really change events. Who became the PC matters a fuckton. You're no hero of super destiny or anything, and unless you minmax like crazy 5 armed guys in armor who know what they're doing are forever a serious problem (if a potentially surmountable one) but you matter. A lot. You're still the protagonist and still a highly capable individual, you're just more grounded.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
My take-away from that ending is that Feng is a loving cockroach who'd outlive every one of his enemies.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

you're the chaos butterfly

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Played a little of this and Dungeon Rats - so far reading is more fun than playing g.

Female thief named Jame?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I liked this game so much I bought Dungeon Rats to try, and man, Dungeon Rats is a much worse game.

In part because Dungeon Rats will really, really show you why no enemies ever use bombs in the main game. 20-30 damage 100% to-hit chance weapons that get a crit chance to stun you are, uh.

It's like playing X-COM but from the point of view of the aliens whenever grenades show up.

At heart the combat system is a bit more fun with more units, but in general combat just doesn't have the depth to be a tactics game, no matter how much the developers think it's 'deep'. All of the combat strategy is mostly just in how you built your PC. It's numberslam, where your numbers slam their numbers; it fits the tone of the game and I actually came to enjoy it as part of the main game once I 'got' the system (and as a way of making it feel meaningful when you can talk/sneak your way past it) but it can't sustain a game on its own.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 14, 2020

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Night10194 posted:

I liked this game so much I bought Dungeon Rats to try, and man, Dungeon Rats is a much worse game.

Told you so.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Part XIII: I'll take that. And that. And that. And that...

Our final side playthrough is as Gaius Impuratus, Forty Thieves member and all-around scoundrel.

Oh boy, Cado's our boss. I can't wait!

: I'm the one doing all the work...

I wonder how many times Cado had to tell us this.

: Where does the name "Forty Thieves" come from?

No no, prostitution is the oldest profession.

Climbing the wall seems safest.

There's the map. While we're here...

It takes a level 3 lockpick skill and a level 3 steal skill to get everything.

Sure, we could fool Cado, but we get a better reward if we hand over everything.

Like an increase in lockpicking!

Before we leave, we should chat with the other guild members. First up is the guy to our right.

: The one on the right.

Thanks for the dagger we'll never use, Lucius.

Next is the guy at the bar.

Kleitos functions as the guild trader.

okay fine, sell me on your weapons of death

I buy a standard crossbow from Kleitos, even though I plan to avoid combat.

Finally, there's this dude.

: What can you tell me about the guild's history?

: We operate openly...

Personally, I think the Forty Thieves are in a more precarious position than everyone lets on.

Oh, you're an enforcer. Got it.

Time to see Feng.

On the way I steal this merchant's purse, because why not?

I also break into Feng's house.

He's not even all that mad if you get caught -- he just wants you to come back with money.

Stealing from the blacksmith...

Stealing from the inn...

Stealing from random merchants! It's great when you don't have to buy anything.

We have a new option in the woman/mercenary encounter.

: Nice try, dear.

: Does Cado know you're running cons in this town?

So, is the mercenary just standing there with a dumb look on this face during this?

Anyway, we break into Thessalos's place (remember him?) and take everything not nailed down.

He's loaded! And he has poor taste in ancient erotica.

Also burgling the house of the noble lady with the pretty gems. After selling everything, I'm swimming in roughly 2000 gold.

If you're part of the thieves' guild, there's an extra option for dealing with the raiders holding Tiberius hostage.

: I'll run it by Cado then, see what he says.

Good to see the Forty Thieves graduated from the "pay me first" school of friendship. We're going with the "Steal" response since it's our highest skill right now.

: (does fancy poo poo with a coin) A favor for a favor?

We'll try the window. Seems like a safer bet.

Good thing I put points in traps this time!

The goblet is likely in the chest, so let's explore first.

Got it! Back to Cado.

Looks like Livia's here.

Why are you calling me "sugar," like a 50-year-old aunt?

Thanks for the impersonate training.

At least act glad to see us, Cado.

: Here is the goblet.

I did that so you'd have a new wine cup? Whatever.

Cross that off the list.

As for the mine, we sneak in like in the main playthrough, but with a different outcome in mind.

: The machines are working. They are turning iron into gold! Gold!

RIP everyone.

We can add "industrial saboteur" to our list of traits.

Our next job for the Forty Thieves involves making an ore shipment disappear.

Talking with the gate guards gives us a variety of options.

: They cut your pay?!

: I bet the Imperial Guards wouldn't risk their lives for nothing. What do they do anyway?

: When do you expect the next shipment?

: Wanted to ask about Flavius... Did he pay his debt?

Maybe we can ask Cado for help.

Remember the part in the merchant playthrough when Cado tries to trick us into giving him our signature? Instead of Gaius Goonius as the sucker, it's Zenon, and he signs.

: The Imperial Guards have a special shipping mandate. The gate guards can't even tough their shipments.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Cado.

Feng! :buddy:

All in all, we have four options:

1. Bribe the guards

2. Steal the mandate from the Imperial Guards when the shipment arrives.

3. Talk to Flavius about his debt

4. Forge a mandate with Feng's help

Ordinarily I'd leave the decision up to you lot, but I'm going with what I think is the optimal path.

First, we need to talk to Flavius.

: Doesn't sound like much of a problem, if you ask me.

We'll pick the lock.

Very clever, Kaeso.

: I changed my mind. I'd rather take cash. Two hundred imperials and we're even.

So what will we do now?

See Feng, of course!

: Cado sends his regards. He needs your help in a delicate situation.

Iron Tower should make a game starring Feng.

: I'm going to forge the mandate.

Hooray!

The next day...

: What did you want to talk about? Did you take care of the ore shipment?

Are you making GBS threads me? Did I do all of that just for Cado to change his mind at the last second?

: A fortune in gold?

: At night? They will ship it at night?

Let's use our big brainy brain and come up with a different plan.

: A direct attack *will* have consequences. The merchants guild will be bound to respond in kind. Maybe now would be a good time to use the paper you made Linos' man sign.

At the Commercium HQ, we find some guy in blue standing in the hall.

Dumbass.

: About the gold shipment...

Here's your drat ring.

: Yes, I'm sure.

Sudden merchant outfit.

Good thing Livia taught us how to impersonate a rich douchebag.

: You're not going to leave him with the gold alone, are you?

The trick is the sneak requirements get higher as you take more crates.

Level 5 in Sneak will get us every crate.

Off to Maadoran, then.

Let's say our goodbyes.

: And if I can't?

Thanks, Lucius.

: You do?

: Easier said than done.

Thanks, Aziz. I think.

Jesus Christ, not another complication.

We need to make our way to the main gate, but there are a bunch of people blocking our path.

Let's go for a diversion.

Easy.

Oh, right, the gate guards.

: Let me pass.

No dice.

: I'm on a mission of great importance. Unless you want to explain to Lord Antidas why you thought that his mission could wait, open the loving gate NOW!

: Were you supposed to? Does Lord Antidas have a habit of informing you about his latest plans? Listen, we're on the same side here. Don't make it difficult for me and I won't make it difficult for you. Now, open the gate, I've lost enough time chatting with you here.

Freedom!

gently caress

To hell with it, time for stabbing.

With that, we leave Teron for good.

Apologies for the massive update, but I'm eager to return to Octavia, which is what we'll do next time!

Next Time: Seriously, didn't you read the above sentence?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Forty Thieves intro storyline in Teron is pretty strong. They also give you a good sense of why you want to be in the guild; I think the Forty Thieves PC can throw around their connections and guild membership more than basically anyone but the Praetor. You also make a shitload of money, get some training, and stealing a huge black-money shipment for all that political intrigue the Merch and the Assassin were getting up to is a good intro plot.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Think the 40 thieves is my favorite so far we've seen beyond the Loremaster's

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You made out like a bandit. :O

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Hahaha Linos' power play ending like that is fantastic.

I assume the Imperial Guards take over now.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Actually, no; you just stole the money he was paying others. The deed already happened. This was the 'fifty thousand' Antidas asked of The Merch as a donation for signing off on their plan to go after the Guards.

It makes Linos look like an idiot and probably super pisses off Antidas, though. All that 'setting Teron on fire' and no profit from it. I imagine the Boatmen didn't get paid, either. Linos is probably in for a bad time later.

Though I think if the PC isn't a Boatman the Boatmen all die taking out the Guards instead of the PC surviving it with one or two others.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Huh. How much more gold does Linos have? Does this leave Antidas broke and incapable of replacing the Guard with mercenaries?

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Hypocrisy posted:

Huh. How much more gold does Linos have? Does this leave Antidas broke and incapable of replacing the Guard with mercenaries?

Nope! The Commercium is rich as gently caress, so presumably Linos sends Antidas more gold after the heist.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Only thing that struck me is that the Imperial Guard Commander didn't get assassinated in the Imperial Guard route, but nothing came up to explain that. Granted, it falls into the whole 'you're a nobody' that you wouldn't personally save the guy or what have you, but it sticks to me as something that doesn't make sense--especially considering he *does* get assassinated if you go on other routes, like Octavia did.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 21, 2020

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Every place has a default 'what happens if the PC doesn't get involved at all' outcome, usually based on who has the strongest hand locally. It is possible to betray the Boatmen, personally save Carrinas, then procede from there having started on the Boatmen route and switching to Guard.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Night10194 posted:

Every place has a default 'what happens if the PC doesn't get involved at all' outcome, usually based on who has the strongest hand locally. It is possible to betray the Boatmen, personally save Carrinas, then procede from there having started on the Boatmen route and switching to Guard.

Yes, I saw that option there. I was just curious why nothing came of it here--not even a passing mention of a failed assassination attempt.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think what happens is the Guard just move a day or two quicker when the PC is a Guard. It took awhile to convince Neleos to actually take the job, after all. Not to mention getting Antidas on board. If things moved just a little faster, Carrinas might make his move before the Boatment can be on-boarded.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Part XIV: It's a Maad world

Soundtrack: Maadoran

Last time, Octavia was "convinced" by Aurelian guards to travel to Maadoran and meet Lord Gaelius.

Well, when in Rome Maadoran...

: Yes, my lord.

Who can say no to that?

: I swear my fealty to you, my Lord.

tl;dr: go to tomb, deal with raiders, bring back helmet.

: Why is it called the Helm of Destiny?

: Maybe he was a good general?

: You mentioned Darius was quite mad when he was killed.

Don't wear the helmet. Got it.

Time to explore.

Maadoran is the largest city in the game, divided into five districts and serving as a noticeable bump in difficulty and complexity. If you had a hard time in Teron, you're going to be miserable in Maadoran. You'll see later.

For now, we'll get a room at the inn.

Whee! More stories!

Ouch.

Ibn Hadad again, showing up to save the day.

:black101:

: Did the scroll mention the name of that demon?

We'll keep an eye out for that name.

: What were the Magi working on before the attack on the city?

Personally, it sounds like the Magi were lording it over the commoners, but what do I know? I'm an apprentice loremaster.

: The Abyss used to be called the District of Wisdom?

Enlightening stuff. Let's get a room.

: I need a room.

I do the old "steal everything" routine, but it's much less successful. Something tells me you need to be at the Proficient level (around 5-6) in the thieving skills to get anything. It's still a good idea to get a room, because your stash can be transferred from city to city via a chest, something I neglected to mention before.

Back outside, we strike up a chat with a local.

: Asmara and Cippur?

: What can you tell me about Ganezzar?

Flying ships? Pull the other one.

: What can you tell me about Caer-Tor?

: You mentioned villages?

Honestly, I thought the stories of the realm being an empty, blighted wasteland were exaggerated, but things are more dire than I thought.

We need the lay of the land, so let's ask for help.

Of course it's not free.

Maadoran is making a good impression so far.

: How many districts are there in the city?

Especially if it's your masturbating hand!

Deadly fog? I'll keep that in mind.

: Who rules the city?

This question is funny, considering we met Gaelius five minutes ago.

Sounds like Gaelius has his hands full rooting out schemes from the other Noble Houses.

: Why do guards avoid the Slums? Surely, they can restore order?

Spoken like a true member of the bourgeoisie. :commissar:

: I'm looking for some people.

UGH, I guess we should check if Miltiades made it...

: Miltiades.

Oh. What a shame.

: Domitius Ulpius.

: Do you know a good loremaster?

Another crazy person. Excellent.

: Where can I find some work?

Arena? Maybe we'll take a look.

There's a tavern, but we can't do anything there at the moment.

A map of Maadoran. Ignore the gigantic crater for now. The Arena District doesn't have much going for it, save the titular building and the Fort.

As we approach the Arena...

Looks like it's time to make an rear end of myself!

: Is that what you do for a living? Rob and kill the newcomers?

Fool, I'm giving a righteous speech!

: Get out of here.

We have a body count of 12 at this point. That's probably enough to intimidate this dingleberry.

: Or I'll loving kill you.

Wait, what?

Naturally, I died. I died quite a bit.

Even the almighty power of bombs didn't keep me alive. I was surprised at how tough these dudes were -- they're not in heavy armor, but they do hit hard and inflict a lot of status effects: crippling, bleeding, armor damage, etc. If you don't stay on top of things, you're brown bread.

After some trial and error, I used liquid fire flasks to keep the group separated.

The fire persists for several turns, so you can put on the hurt if you're smart and lucky.

Finally.

Death Count: 23

We get a family heirloom as reward. Next time, don't rely on the kindness of strangers or heavily-armed women.

Geez, I'd hate to see what the Slums are like.

There's a new option when talking to the merchants of Maadoran: asking to see something "special."

: What happened to him?

Doesn't sound so impressive. I just fought three guys and won (barely)!

The special items are unique arms and armor with exorbitant prices that most players can't afford. We can craft our own stuff anyway.

This is likely a bad idea, but let's talk to the arena master.

Kinda need to work on the opening pitch, pal.

: Why not?

: The guild?

Our first fight is against an unarmored schmuck with a dagger.

Easy.

: Is there a healer around here?

We're going to become very familiar with the healer.

Next opponent is an old guy with an axe and shield. He's tougher, but not by much.

Like so.

We'll hold off on Isatis for now. My armor's pretty damaged.

Off to search for a blacksmith.

: Why did you come here then?

: Aren't you with the Commercium?

: Why do you stay out of small towns?

ignore the floating hand carrying the crate

: Who's running the Commercium here?

The Trade District has a lot to offer, but we're sticking to the blacksmith for now.

A map of the Trade District. Abukar's house is near, but again, I'm saving it for later.

Back at the Arena, Isatis is another easy enemy. His crossbow can gently caress you up, but his lack of armor is his undoing.

To the healer!

Dammit, I'm spending more than I make for these check-ups. I hope the payouts increase soon.

Papa Yochan has a big hammer, which means denting the poo poo out of your armor and big damage. Other than that, he's unremarkable.

The raider is our first dangerous combatant. He'll Poison you reliably and will block many attacks. I didn't realize this and died as a result.

Death Count: 24

He goes down on the second attempt.

We're reached the rank of Gladiator, but there aren't any fights available right now. Good thing, because I'm nearly dead.

:gonk:

There's a House of Ill Repute near the entrance to the Trade District. I could go for some company...

No, no, I won't be dissuaded.

You mean I can't pay for a prostitute in this game? LAME

Even the City of All Cities has problems with building codes.

Domitius is in a house next to the fallen minaret.

The first time I played, I was tearing my hair out looking for him. The guide hints he's in the Arena District, but I had searched every nook and cranny with no joy. Then, I stumble onto an unmarked building and he's standing inside. God, I was pissed.

: Lord Antidas sent me to find the temple. You're my first stop.

: Attacks?

: You mentioned a buried temple.

Hellgate was mentioned in the merchant playthrough. I don't know why people explore a place with a name like that, but I suppose the call of arcane knowledge is too strong.

Whatever Domitius saw, it scared him badly. Obviously, we need to find this place ASAP.

Another name. Ganezzar is the next stop after we're done..

Hmm. It's something to think about.

What the gently caress? Were you following me?

: And if I refuse?

Couldn't he simply extend an invitation? A little card with "Please see me immediately" on it?

: Alright, let's go see him.

None of your business, Shmulius Shmaesar.

: Antidas isn't a fool.

: So, you aren't tempted by the power at all?

Lord Gaelius is definitely cut from a different cloth than Antidas and Meru. Antidas wants the Temple because he'll use whatever's within to fulfill his destiny or some poo poo. We can infer Meru would want to find the Temple so he can bring back the Gods. Gaelius wants the Temple found so he can seal it forever. He doesn't believe in gods or demons and he's downright contemptuous of the Magi, thinking it's their fault the world is in such a mess. Don't meddle with things you don't understand, and so on.

This is a good place to end the update. We haven't even scratced the surface.

Next Time: The plot thickens

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Octavia is what, Sword 4?

Don't try to fight a lot with Sword 4, it's a recipe for sorrow.

Also, try a Khopesh. The lighter, faster swords are often the best and it has improved bleed chance since it's got inherent +Passive Value.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

That's Gladiator Jr. League Champion Octavia to you.

Gaelius is king of the dung pile so he's not willing to take any risk to his position even as the world disintegrates outside and he lives next to some death pit called the Abyss.

Antidas is so desperate he's buying glowing rings. The third guy sounds nuts but who knows.

OPEN THE HELLGATE!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am excited for Militiades times.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Well, it's pretty clear this place got literally nuked now, so I'm guessing the poor fools found a nuclear silo and hit the "launch" button, which would end great with the silo doors blocked. All this just makes the tales of gods and demons even MORE bizarre though: what were the demons, and what were the gods? Aliens? Vaulters? Not knowing if magic is real makes things difficult, who would have guessed!

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
The gods/demons were probably just people wearing power armor and toting energy rifles. Then again, if that's true, I'm sure we'd have found at least one surviving piece of power armor or a long-drained energy rifle.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Night10194 posted:

Octavia is what, Sword 4?

Don't try to fight a lot with Sword 4, it's a recipe for sorrow.

Also, try a Khopesh. The lighter, faster swords are often the best and it has improved bleed chance since it's got inherent +Passive Value.

If you're trying a hybrid build, what's the best combat half so you can get some talky skills? I keep getting destroyed.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

If you're trying a hybrid build, what's the best combat half so you can get some talky skills? I keep getting destroyed.

Axe, I think. Axe is the best combat half if you're doing hybrid because axe's weapon passive is basically a mini-crit, so it can dish out enough hurt that you won't necessarily need Critical Strike. Having 2 skills you need to pump to be able to fight instead of 3 helps a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What origin is Octavia again? I dont remember