Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Is that a...common theme in pop country?

Literally every bro country song is about lifted trucks, calling every woman "girl", and driving down dirt roads to get them drunk and take advantage of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

DildenAnders posted:

Idk, yeah it comes off as a bit crotchety, but I think he has correctly identified the NFL's messaging problem: it's far too diverse and not nearly jingoistic enough. Hell, with war with Iran possibly on the horizon, how in white Jesus's good name did they leave Pat Tillman's grave unexposed?!?!
/s

what are you talking about they had that incredibly out of place visit to Pat Tillman's statue in that commercial with the kid running the ball into the arena. Can't leave out a memory of Pat Tillman (although you can leave out literally all of the context behind why he died because no one wants to hear about that because it might make the military look bad)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

DeimosRising posted:

yes

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

DeimosRising posted:

yes

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I have to imagine Spotify will slowly move their new purchases behind the paywall at some point. Just paying way too much money to recoup off MeUndies ads.

Lockback posted:

I clicked on the side banner thing in a desperate attempt to make this sports blog something attractive to spin into something real and I noticed the amazing custom URL dashlane is using for it:

https://www.dashlane.com/lp/herb

A password manager owned by a credit reporting agency. What could go wrong?

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
https://www.truthdig.com/articles/after-pats-birthday-2/
In all seriousness this should be read aloud before every NFL game instead of the national anthem.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I just want to say that I live in Ohio, and I like it. But you know what?

gently caress the heartland. More people live in Los Angeles county than in most of the loving heartland.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Niwrad posted:

I have to imagine Spotify will slowly move their new purchases behind the paywall at some point. Just paying way too much money to recoup off MeUndies ads.

By most reports the Ringer podcasts have been wildly profitable. I think podcasts have been free for too long for a paywall model to work.

Id imagine Spotifys model here is to take established podcast brands and launch new podcasts that can only be listened to through Spotify.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The New Republic has an article up on the Spotify/Ringer deal: https://newrepublic.com/article/156483/spotify-acquisition-ringer-says-online-media

Core point - Companies and publishers see podcasts as a growth market with robust advertising possibilities, which is the grim opposite of online text content.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

FMguru posted:

The New Republic has an article up on the Spotify/Ringer deal: https://newrepublic.com/article/156483/spotify-acquisition-ringer-says-online-media

Core point - Companies and publishers see podcasts as a growth market with robust advertising possibilities, which is the grim opposite of online text content.

companies and publishers are also loving morons who think that audio advertisements and autoplay video ads are good ideas

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

companies and publishers are also loving morons who think that audio advertisements and autoplay video ads are good ideas

Are audio advertisements bad ideas? Seems like I read somewhere that podcast ads have a higher hit rate than nearly any other medium, especially the live reads from the hosts.

They dont bother me too much with podcasts as long as the 30 second skip button is available.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Pivot to podcasting.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Pivot to podcasting.
Tangentially related but

The fact that Drew and Roth dont have a Patreon supported podcast is a loving crime

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

General Dog posted:

Are audio advertisements bad ideas? Seems like I read somewhere that podcast ads have a higher hit rate than nearly any other medium, especially the live reads from the hosts.

They dont bother me too much with podcasts as long as the 30 second skip button is available.

thats why theyre not useful; its easy to skip ads in podcasts and its hard for podcasters to read copy in an engaging way

the only podcast ad that ever actually worked on me was homefield apparel on the fullcast, but even then i just went to the site and never bought anything

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

live reads work well on live broadcasts, especially if they're read by broadcasters who know what they're doing

when they're skippable and read by some plain white nerd who ums and uhs his way through it, not so much

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

thats why theyre not useful; its easy to skip ads in podcasts and its hard for podcasters to read copy in an engaging way

the only podcast ad that ever actually worked on me was homefield apparel on the fullcast, but even then i just went to the site and never bought anything

Those shirts are really nice, I got two hoodies when they added Iowa stuff. Kinda pricey though.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Friend of mine brought this up again after stumbling on the Vick 30 for 30

https://www.espn.com/espn/commentary/story/_/id/6894586/imagining-michael-vick-white-quarterback-nfl-espn-magazine

:stare:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Peanut President posted:

NJ Devils are named after a mythological creature that's half horse half bat half demon

chris christie is real though?

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

wow

quote:

So let's look at him a different way. Let's see him as someone in the third act of the epic movie that is his life, leading a team that many expect to see in the Super Bowl. Bob Marley's "Redemption Song" is playing underneath because the humbled protagonist has finally overcome his personal demons and has begun living up to his athletic promise. And to those who believe we should judge a man by how he responds when dealing with the worst life has to offer -- with how he climbs after he hits rock bottom -- Michael Vick has become heroic.

And that has nothing to do with race.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Were you guys not using sports forums when that story came out?

Also the part of the doc where Rob Thomas is randomly being asked about his sentencing at like an aiport(?) and says Vick should be hanged is loving insane.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

I'm not American so it never really came up on my radar. I only heard about Vick maybe a year or two ago at most.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

amenbrotep posted:

I'm not American so it never really came up on my radar. I only heard about Vick maybe a year or two ago at most.

You missed what was at the time the greatest pseudonym, Ron Mexico.

Later passed by Carlos Danger, Pierre Delecto, and Joanie Pepperoni, the name a cop used when people tried to hire a hitman off the dark web.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

JOEY FRESHWATER

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also the part of the doc where Rob Thomas is randomly being asked about his sentencing at like an aiport(?) and says Vick should be hanged is loving insane.

Rob Thomas isnt crazy, hes just a little unwell

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think there was even a White Vick themed Photoshop Phriday

Edit: for your reading pleasure

https://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/football-seattle-seatoxx/5/

General Dog fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 7, 2020

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

General Dog posted:

hell even Sammy Sosa got in on it

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

General Dog posted:

Rob Thomas isn’t crazy, he’s just a little unwell

Boooooo

PotatoJudge posted:

You missed what was at the time the greatest pseudonym, Ron Mexico.

Later passed by Carlos Danger, Pierre Delecto, and Joanie Pepperoni, the name a cop used when people tried to hire a hitman off the dark web.

That was a fantastic era for the early sports blogs. So, so good.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

General Dog posted:

Edit: for your reading pleasure

https://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/football-seattle-seatoxx/5/

the lady who did that is like a professional photo retoucher and poo poo and she has all these beautiful images on her website and then smack dab in the middle is White Vick, its bananas

imagine being proud of that and putting it on your portfolio

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Chris Christie is absolutely among the lucky few with 3 "halves".

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyB64gnC4Qs

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Apparently one of the writers that SI scooped up post-Maven was Sam Amico, a guy mostly known for posting mountains of horseshit NBA rumors on Twitter

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/danroan/status/1225832271703351301

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I just randomly saw the link on ESPN to an article about rebuilding the greatest dynasty in sports with a picture of a young woman basketball player. Out of curiosity I clicked on it and its about the #1 womens basketball recruit who is apparently committed to UConn and the authors premise is that the UConn program has fallen on hard times and needs rebuilt.

Just so were clear. UConn has been to 12 straight final fours and is currently 20-2 and ranked in the top 5.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh my god you aren't kidding

quote:

But the UConn team Bueckers will be joining hardly resembles that of the most dominant team of the past decade. Although the streak of 12 consecutive trips to the Final Four remains unbroken, in each of the past three seasons, the Huskies have failed to claim a title. Add to that the graduation of WNBA Rookie of the Year Napheesa Collier and fellow WNBA first-round pick Katie Lou Samuelson, a 2019 recruiting class that saw only two signings in No. 21 Aubrey Griffin and Anna Makurat, a 16-point loss to No. 6 Baylor in early January and an 18-point loss to No. 3 Oregon in early February and this season appears to be a continuation of a slow, albeit almost imperceptible decline that has nudged UConn from its perch atop the women's game.

"They've spent over a decade going to the final four but haven't won a championship in THREE WHOLE YEARS!! The dynasty is crumbling!"

:psyduck:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The game's done passed Geno by, Pawwwla

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A team that has spent the last decade going almost completely undefeated, and at one point had a 111 game win streak... is in desperate need of rebuild because this year they're 20-2.

E: and a 90 game win streak!

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 10, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They're washed, Dawn Staley is the new hotness

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Im gonna pretend this is all Oregons fault for flushing UConn at home in the biggest loss in the arenas history :smugdog:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
20-3 now, just lost to the Cocks today. End of a dynasty!

Since 1993-1994, btw, the Huskies have gone 910-68.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

hell even Sammy Sosa got in on it

underrated post