Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Golden ending route where Byleth hits endgame, realizes she can fix everything with her full control over time, and then Divine Pulses all the way to the beginning of the game.

She then punches all three Lords and Rhea with her S+ Gauntlet rank until they work together to actually fix poo poo instead of starting a gigantic war.

The Agarthians are easily defeated afterwards and everyone is happy and full of punch wounds forever after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blaze Dragon posted:

Golden ending route where Byleth hits endgame, realizes she can fix everything with her full control over time, and then Divine Pulses all the way to the beginning of the game.

She then punches all three Lords and Rhea with her S+ Gauntlet rank until they work together to actually fix poo poo instead of starting a gigantic war.

The Agarthians are easily defeated afterwards and everyone is happy and full of punch wounds forever after.

Come with me if you want to fish.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
byleth of the north star

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

You are already motivated.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Eimi posted:

You are already motivated.

You are already fed.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

You are already fed.

:vince:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

All the relics are made out to be much bigger deals than they actually are (as are crests in general). When talking about the Lance of Ruin, Sylvain makes it sound like it allows a single man to go out qnd destroy an entire army. It's far from that strong.

The sword of the creator gets hyped up as even stronger than that, where it can supposedly cut through anything and destroy whole forts and etc.

3 houses biggest flaw in my opinion is that it is very prone to telling instead of showing. It tells us all about how the Crests cause people to be stronger and smarter and better at magic and have a huge advantage outside of relics, but they mostly.
. Let you do combat arts slightly better. They tell you that the relic weapons are absurd super weapons that level battlefields. They tell you Jeralt is some super god of battle who as a knight could defeat entire armies of rhea's foes. They tell you that byleth is godlike super powerful. They tell you that the agarthians are totally competent and not a bunch of idiots who keep screwing themselves up and cannot do literally one thing right.

And it also cant get it straight between supports, and some of them talk as if Crests are fake and not-gay, and some like no, they actually do impart real advantages and this itself is unfair too, and some that they're cool and awesome and amazing.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Agreed, three houses should have been a bonkers character action game.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

"I was wrong Rhea, you're not greedy. You're BAT poo poo INSANE!"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
tbh I always figured that the whole "Jeralt the Blade Breaker, the greatest knight in the history of knights!" thing was supposed to be intentionally overblown in universe. Jeralt himself never makes a big deal out of it and when people talk up his strength around him he shrugs it off. Him being not that strong in the game is a combination of him being over the hill, and that while yeah he used to be pretty strong, he was never what people make him out to be. He's just a cranky old man who likes to drink and fish.

Crests are definitely for the most part underwhelming though. Both mechanically and how we're shown the ways they've warped society in the narrative. We get told by loving everybody who you lock eyes with how crests are a blight on society, but we never see it. Even something as simple as crestless students and teachers getting ostracized for it, or talked down to, or bullied, or... something? Anything?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Well there is the chapter where the crestless firstborn son gets disinherited and becomes a bandit

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Zoran posted:

Well there is the chapter where the crestless firstborn son gets disinherited and becomes a bandit

And goes around destroying villages to lash out with his newfound "power".

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
crests could stand to be more impactful, whether that's by being the same effectiveness and happening more often or being even more overkill than they are now. the crest of blaiddyd mostly just breaks my iron lances faster

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
what are some general tips for maddening? this poo poo is difficult. I'm actually having to use divine pulse

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I'd recommend just finding a Hanneman Support video for all your "the crest system is fundamentally broken and Edelgard Did Nothing Wrong" needs.

Wait, I'm on the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRygYsiribI&ab_channel=CollectorTogami

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CmdrKing posted:

I'd recommend just finding a Hanneman Support video for all your "the crest system is fundamentally broken and Edelgard Did Nothing Wrong" needs.

Wait, I'm on the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRygYsiribI&ab_channel=CollectorTogami

Yeah but again that's telling, not showing.

Zoran posted:

It's basically the only time in the game we actually get to see that crests are poo poo and have collectively broken the nobility's brains.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Sydin posted:

Yeah but again that's telling, not showing.

It's basically the only time in the game we actually get to see that crests are poo poo and have collectively broken the nobility's brains.

Ingrid's paralogue too, kind of. And Dorothea, y'know, existing.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think crests and relics being a minor deal, gameplay-wise, is preferable to the FE4 system where holy blood gives you large growth bonuses and holy weapons are several tiers above anything else, and your units end up split between ones who can solo entire armies and ones who just hang around to assist across those lines.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Sylvain also goes into pretty explicit detail about how he's surrounded by people who hunger to have his crest babies and how this has completely broken him as a person.

Mercedes' mother was used as a brood mare for her crest and had to flee with her daughter into religious life, and even there she wasn't safe.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there's a ton of stuff on how crests are bad (edelgard and lysithea being the most obvious examples) but it doesn't really come up in the plot in all routes

like dimitri's route basically doesn't mention it at all iirc but it's obviously more important in edelgard's

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

indigi posted:

what are some general tips for maddening? this poo poo is difficult. I'm actually having to use divine pulse

Use your initial class or you won't survive the first post timeskip chapter. Darting Blow and Death Blow are saviors and you want them on as many people as possible and you should be speccing towards them ASAP. You generally want to move slow outside of maps with vulnerable objectives or lots of reinforcements. Stride and Impregnable Wall are by far the best gambits and you want as many as you can get. You also really want someone with Warp trained so you can emergency shove through difficult maps that can be circumvented by killing commanders.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

I am midly upset that defeating the Death Knight did not result in him being transformed into a sick-rear end guitar.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The golden ending is that Jeralt doesn't follow Alois back to the monastery after the prologue and the rest of the game is just about cool mercenary things while nobles fight each other in the background, until they fight a dragon and/or hegemon at the end for some reason.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Manatee Cannon posted:

there's a ton of stuff on how crests are bad (edelgard and lysithea being the most obvious examples) but it doesn't really come up in the plot in all routes

like dimitri's route basically doesn't mention it at all iirc but it's obviously more important in edelgard's

excuse me, dimitri's route demonstrates how his crest makes him lovely at sewing

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Eimi posted:

I am as ready as I am disappointed that my boy Hubert once again got snubbed on being able to fly.

This is the worst and I really thought they were going somewhere with Hubert wanting to fly and later announcing a flying magic class :argh:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Sylvain also goes into pretty explicit detail about how he's surrounded by people who hunger to have his crest babies and how this has completely broken him as a person.

Mercedes' mother was used as a brood mare for her crest and had to flee with her daughter into religious life, and even there she wasn't safe.

Remove crests and all that would still happen, just maybe to other people. That’s thats how feudalism/nobility work and basing inerhitance on crests instead of primogeniture would make little difference in that.

Like Sylvain even spells this out, without crests his and his brothers roles would just have been reversed.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

RBA Starblade posted:

I think my favorite bits in the game in retrospect are when Shamir pipes up every now and then with a "what the gently caress is happening on this continent you people are mutant lunatics", as Dimitri tears another human being in half down the middle, or Hilda's Pulsing Nightmare Axe destroys another mech.
Agreed. Shamir's constant low-key "hey, what the gently caress, guys" was the best. Especially after you merge with Sothis - "so, is this just something that happens in this country, or is your hair turning green uniquely weird?"

Hellioning posted:

The golden ending is that Jeralt doesn't follow Alois back to the monastery after the prologue and the rest of the game is just about cool mercenary things while nobles fight each other in the background, until they fight a dragon and/or hegemon at the end for some reason.
Alois insists Jeralt come back to Garreg Mach with him, Jeralt looks him flat in the eye and says "make me."
The rest of the route is just really contrived bandit encounters during fishing trips. The final boss is a manakete that looks suspiciously like moby dick.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Avalerion posted:

Like Sylvain even spells this out, without crests his and his brothers roles would just have been reversed.

For the most part crests vs regular feudalism are the same. In this case though, if there were no such thing as crests Sylvain still would have been a backup heir in case the older one died. So he probably would have been treated better than his elder brother was with crest-based inheritance.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
They show how powerful Relics are lore-wise in the literal opening cutscene. Nemesis nukes like a whole army of troops with the Sword of the Creator.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

McTimmy posted:

Ingrid's paralogue too, kind of. And Dorothea, y'know, existing.

Dorothea is never ostracized for not having a crest though. The closest that we get with her is gossip about how she's a peasant who must have slept her way into the academy, which is the same kind of poo poo that happens in real life quite often and has nothing really to do with crests.

Ingrid's paralogue... yeah I guess, but on the other hand Ingrid's paralogue is hilarious nonsense so I refuse to give it credit for anything besides making me laugh.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Feb 11, 2020

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Relic combat arts could have also dealt a ton of damage to the target's battalion, that could have done something to represent scale of power and also give them more tactical uses than a lot of them have.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Eimi posted:

"I was wrong Rhea, you're not greedy. You're BAT poo poo INSANE!"

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Sydin posted:

Dorothea is never ostracized for not having a crest though. The closest that we get with her is gossip about how she's a peasant who must have slept her way into the academy, which is the same kind of poo poo that happens in real life quite often and has nothing really to do with crests.

Ingrid's paralogue... yeah I guess, but on the other hand Ingrid's paralogue is hilarious nonsense so I refuse to give it credit for anything besides making me laugh.

I meant Dorothea's story about meeting the man who might have been her father. She was sired with the intent of bearing a Crest and tossed aside when she wasn't with her mother even getting fired.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Three Houses might have the largest amount, both absolute and proportional, of bad dads of any game in history. Even the ones who aren't outright bad are usually of dubious moral character and have strained relationships with their kids. They honestly just need to make a DLC where you get to go around beating them up.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

galagazombie posted:

Three Houses might have the largest amount, both absolute and proportional, of bad dads of any game in history. Even the ones who aren't outright bad are usually of dubious moral character and have strained relationships with their kids. They honestly just need to make a DLC where you get to go around beating them up.

They die. It's the same thing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I still can't believe that in the Church route you put Bernie's abusive piece of poo poo dad back into power after defeating Edelgard, and Bernie has an honest to god panic attack over it once she finds out. Meanwhile in CF that fucker gets unceremoniously thrown in the deepest darkest dungeon and never heard from again.

Edelgard did nothing wrong.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Cobbsprite posted:

They die. It's the same thing.

Most of them live though. It depends on the route admittedly.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Behold the ultimate Three Houses Bad Dad list

Byleth: Jeralts not perfect but he does an alright job considering the circumstances
Edelgard: Did a bad job protecting his family but wasn’t actively bad to them
Hubert: Bad Dad, gets killed for it
Ferdinand: Bad Dad, gets varying degrees of comeuppance depending on route
Linhardt: We know he’s “prideful”, sides with Edelgard, and is taller than Caspars dad. If he’s bad he never gets comeuppance.
Caspar: Strained relationship but no outright maliciousness, is willing to make himself a scapegoat and get executed to protect the lives of innocent soldiers on SS, otherwise gets away with it.
Bernadetta: Absolute scum, Gets of scot free on non-CF routes, usually gets no comeuppance for it and comes out ahead.
Petra: Dead, not enough information.
Dimitri: Dead, seemed nice enough. I assume him screaming at Dimitri to live a life of revenge was just a hallucination.
Dedue: Dead, not enough information
Felix: Strained relationship, game seems to want you to like him but what he did to Felix was kinda hosed up. Dies to unrelated causes in all routes.
Ashe: Step Dad went a little murder-crazy but seemed nice otherwise, of course you could argue he died a freedom fighter so it’s a wash.
Sylvain: Irredeemable scumbag, never gets a comeuppance.
Mercedes: One of, if not the, worst, tried to rape his step-daughter, Got off scot-free until the Jeritza patch retconned him getting killed.
Annette: Bad dad, only gets comeuppance for it if you recruit Annette on CF. Dies elsewhere for unrelated reasons.
Ingrid: Tries to marry her off, but is willing to let her refuse, so I’ll let him slide considering the whole trapped by feudalism thing.
Claude: Endangers son with dangerous Horse shenanigans, seems nice otherwise.
Lorenz: Bad dad, never gets his comeuppance
Raphael: Dead, not enough information
Ignatz: Jerk dad, never gets comeuppance.
Lysithea: Nice Dad
Marianne: Real scummy Step Dad, in most endings is actually rewarded for being a bad person.
Hilda: Seems nice
Leonie: Does she ever even mention him?
Flayn: Best Dad

We have a total of 9 unambiguously Bad Dads of which 3 get comeuppance and 2 get situational comeuppances. 3-5 Strained relationships, and the rest are either good or never sufficiently characterized.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

What are the good classes/skills to master? I finally finished my first playthrough (CF), and by the final few chapters a bunch of my units felt a bit lacking. Which is fair, since I was just kinda doing whatever with lesson goals, but for a second playthrough I'd like to try and make people a bit more optimized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

galagazombie posted:

Behold the ultimate Three Houses Bad Dad list
Some slight additions:

Felix: Rodrigue may have survived on VW, maybe.
Mercedes: Baron Bartels was actually stated dead in the base game. Mercedes's second adoptive father isn't exactly fun either.
Leonie's dad is a hunter and probably the one who convinced her village to fund her tuition.