Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I spent the first 27 years of my life in Wales, and it was drilled into me that there was a long legacy of the English loving us over. When I finally came over the border I found pretty much the same arguments, just directed towards BAME people. It's all just misdirected anger. We're all struggling in broadly the same way, for broadly the same reasons, and it's not a problem that will be solved by isolating ourselves

e: I'm cursed with poo poo snipes. Have a tsetse fly. They give birth to live young, and even produce milk for them

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
^^^'The people with the most power in society are loving us over' and 'the people with the least power in society are loving us over' are not the same argument. I'd fetch that dril tweet about good and bad things, but I don't do twitter.

Miftan posted:

Literally nobody is saying that, we're just saying it's a bad thing and it should die, just like capitalism.

They are though. When they come out swinging against us, they're ignoring that the English are, by and large, heavily nationalistic themselves, in a way that absolutely excludes us non-English Brits. It was this thread that taught me that if you don't resist the status quo, you are tacitly supporting it.

Sanitary Naptime posted:

My school only taught me french so obviously your school was better than mine

But why, ffrind? Why?? We're all equals, right? Surely, they must have taught you something about us, to help you see us as equals and not scary-sounding foreigners, right? Please tell me you can pronounce our alphabet? Or at least some of it? Just one letter... An easy one... The letter F? Please? Why wouldn't it be a part of the curriculum? God, I just can't figure it out.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

What the gently caress is happening in this thread today

I've never seen a Welsh nationalist before, this is fascinating.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Saith posted:

But why, ffrind? Why?? We're all equals, right? Surely, they must have taught you something about us, to help you see us as equals and not scary-sounding foreigners, right? Please tell me you can pronounce our alphabet? Or at least some of it? Just one letter... An easy one... The letter F? Please? Why wouldn't it be a part of the curriculum? God, I just can't figure it out.

Gee, I wonder why Welsh wouldn't be part of the Scottish curriculum, when we didn't even learn any loving Gaelic or traditional Scots.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

floofyscorp posted:

Do they blur out the faces of Plaid politicians on TV across the border or what?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

isn't british nationalism just english nationalism outside of england
They started getting very big on "English not British" around about the time that they realized that the British West Indies was full of British people who were allowed to live and work in Britain.

Ash Crimson posted:

okay but neither are going to die anytime soon
Not with that attitude they won't.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Saith posted:

Do they blur out the faces of Plaid politicians on TV across the border or what?

I'm Irish. Remember when Gerry Adams couldn't appear on the BBC without being overdubbed?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The days of getting out the dial up modem to go on Usenet and searching for Gerry Adams fansubs.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

floofyscorp posted:

I'm Irish. Remember when Gerry Adams couldn't appear on the BBC without being overdubbed?

Ahh fair. And nah, I'm only 26, I didn't even know who Gerry Adams was during the Troubles. I didn't even know what the Troubles were during the Troubles. I don't think I knew what a Pikachu was during the Troubles and that's wild.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Did someone spike all the water with LSD, or what?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

TheRat posted:

I fuckin' wish, it'd be making work go by faster.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

TheRat posted:

Nah, spice

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I spent the first 27 years of my life in Wales, and it was drilled into me that there was a long legacy of the English loving us over. When I finally came over the border I found pretty much the same arguments, just directed towards BAME people. It's all just misdirected anger. We're all struggling in broadly the same way, for broadly the same reasons, and it's not a problem that will be solved by isolating ourselves

A good post.

Saith posted:

^^^'The people with the most power in society are loving us over' and 'the people with the least power in society are loving us over' are not the same argument. I'd fetch that dril tweet about good and bad things, but I don't do twitter.

They are though. When they come out swinging against us, they're ignoring that the English are, by and large, heavily nationalistic themselves, in a way that absolutely excludes us non-English Brits. It was this thread that taught me that if you don't resist the status quo, you are tacitly supporting it.

I can probably pronounce some welsh stuff through cultural osmosis yeah.

Also what mehall said, how much Gàidhlig can you speak? Why would it matter if you could or couldn’t? Are you being wilfully obtuse over the idea that utilitarianism may be part of the school curriculum? Or is this a Scottish plot to silence the welsh language?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

floofyscorp posted:

It's like seeing a poo poo smeared unicorn.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:zaurg:
https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/status/1227195414295859205?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Welsh language chat:

I know it's extremely many moons ago now (1960s) but at my Welsh primary school in the Valleys we did English and French (at a time when Welsh primary schools taught French but English schools didn't start second language teaching til secondary school.)
The most Welsh we got was singing the Welsh national anthem and Ar Hyd a Nos once a year at the parents' day. Teaching Welsh in Wales only became a compulsory thing at primary schools in 1990 and in secondary schools in 1999.

Ed: I recall in the 1990s we were interviewing for secretaries at work (in London), one was from Bridgend. When asked about learning Welsh she said she had refused because 'while English kids are learning French or German which have got wide usage, we're stuck learning a dying language of limited use and cutting our chances.'

Ed2: A 'friend' was arguing on facebook that only muslims were terrorists, so I said hadn't she heard of Meibion Glyndŵr who used to go round fire-bombing homes they decided were English holiday homes? No she hadn't. She's only in her 40s bless her cotton baby socks.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 11, 2020

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

hey remember when Guto Bebb was in the news and a bunch of people in the thread were like "lol he sounds like a Star Wars character". that was cool. that was so incredibly cool

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

gently caress Wales.
gently caress England
gently caress Scotland

Cornwall is the real victim here, and your echo chamber makes you blind to its plight

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

Sanitary Naptime posted:

A good post.

I can probably pronounce some welsh stuff through cultural osmosis yeah.

Also what mehall said, how much Gàidhlig can you speak? Why would it matter if you could or couldn’t? Are you being wilfully obtuse over the idea that utilitarianism may be part of the school curriculum? Or is this a Scottish plot to silence the welsh language?

Nope! The English, with their English nationalism, destroyed your languages like they did to mine. And any time our languages are brought upin media, they're framed as pointless, divergent, and something to be mocked. That's why you didn't learn any Cymraeg. That's the answer to my riddle.

And there's definitely utility in learning just a little bit of Cymraeg. It's a lovely language. It feels really nice when you speak it. It just rolls off the tongue. I expect Gàidhlig and Scots is the same. It's one of history's greatest tragedies that, while we could have had Cymraeg, Gàidhlig, Francais or Kernowek, we ended up with this pig-tongue hamguage made up of grunts and squeals.

And you know, it would help to bind the UK together if we all respected one-anothers' languages but a lifetime of seeing old English pensioners protesting outside Ysgolion Gymraeg has made it so difficult for me to do.

Spuckuk posted:

It's like seeing a poo poo smeared unicorn.

Turn on your monitor.

Lt. Danger posted:

hey remember when Guto Bebb was in the news and a bunch of people in the thread were like "lol he sounds like a Star Wars character". that was cool. that was so incredibly cool

Enfys Nest actually is a Star Wars character tho and I think that's kind of cool. Shame she was played by an English woman.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ratjaculation posted:

gently caress Wales.
gently caress England
gently caress Scotland

Cornwall is the real victim here, and your echo chamber makes you blind to its plight

If my Cornish relatives are anything to go by, the Cornish will have gotten off lightly if they're just ground up to a fine paste and used to lubricate Rolls Royce wheels.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Saith posted:

Nope! The English, with their English nationalism, destroyed your languages like they did to mine. And any time our languages are brought upin media, they're framed as pointless, divergent, and something to be mocked. That's why you didn't learn any Cymraeg. That's the answer to my riddle.

And there's definitely utility in learning just a little bit of Cymraeg. It's a lovely language. It feels really nice when you speak it. It just rolls off the tongue. I expect Gàidhlig and Scots is the same. It's one of history's greatest tragedies that, while we could have had Cymraeg, Gàidhlig, Francais or Kernowek, we ended up with this pig-tongue hamguage made up of grunts and squeals.

And you know, it would help to bind the UK together if we all respected one-anothers' languages but a lifetime of seeing old English pensioners protesting outside Ysgolion Gymraeg has made it so difficult for me to do.

I agree that it would be nice, and also posit that under a left wing uk government and a bit of time would have way more chance of happening than if we just granularise away into the individual constituent nations.

Adult education, especially in languages, is something I’d like to see a lot more of. I’ve been trying to teach myself Russian and it’s a loving nightmare to do on my tod

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Kernew is a victim, I agree. Thankfully in recent years, there's been a huge push to revitalise the language. I remember speaking to a Cornish girl on a pokemon forum when I was an ickle boy and she was saying how there was just one old man alive who still spoke Kernewek fluently. I don't know how true that was but sometimes, good things are possible when the people whose interests are actually at stake get to decide what to do, rather than be dictated to.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Saith posted:

Kernew is a victim, I agree. Thankfully in recent years, there's been a huge push to revitalise the language. I remember speaking to a Cornish girl on a pokemon forum when I was an ickle boy and she was saying how there was just one old man alive who still spoke Kernewek fluently. I don't know how true that was but sometimes, good things are possible when the people whose interests are actually at stake get to decide what to do, rather than be dictated to.

Did you show her your pokeballs?

most of the kernow language revitalisation is funded by the EU lmbo

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

We should bring back Cumbric.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Spuckuk posted:

We should bring back Cumbric.

Turn your monitor off.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Lt. Danger posted:

member of parliament for the star wars expanded universe, guto bebb - that was me. you know i searched it a while back to see if i'd come up with that - i hadn't, there are four pages of posts of people all over SA independently coming up with the bit. it's a genuinely amusing linguistic coincidence that occasionally crops up, noticed by people who'd be unable to point out wales on a map.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

Ratjaculation posted:

Did you show her your pokeballs?

most of the kernow language revitalisation is funded by the EU lmbo

Nah, but I did get a pikachu ayyy

Nah, Pros don't bother learning Flash ayyy

Nah, Ekans can't even use Harden ayyyy

I dunno I'm bad at puns

Ratatataaaa

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Lt. Danger posted:

Welp guess we can't think Elon Musk is a funny sci-fi name now either because of the Boers or whatever

RIP also all mention of noted thread favourites Bambos Charalambous and whoa-oah Thangam Debbonaire

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Musk is a soutpiel and the Afrikaner people have done enough poo poo without being blamed for him.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

sebzilla posted:

Welp guess we can't think Elon Musk is a funny foreign name now either because of the Boers or whatever

RIP also all mention of noted thread favourites Bambos Charalambous and whoa-oah Thangam Debbonaire

People ITT: Stop saying mean things about England that's racist you racist :qq:

Also people ITT: You have funny names, get over it. It's just bantz fam :c00lbert:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Saith posted:

Also people ITT: You have funny names, get over it. It's just bantz fam :c00lbert:
This is exactly what I got told when I suggested someone not make cracks about Zarah Sultana's name, too.

Apparently "funny" names being "funny" are immune from racism.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Wales has a train that goes up a mountain and the rest of the UK doesn't. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 1 - 0 🇬🇧

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

jackhunter64 posted:

Wales has a train that goes up a mountain and the rest of the UK doesn't. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 1 - 0 🇬🇧

Um

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Funicular_railways_in_the_United_Kingdom

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

jackhunter64 posted:

We don't have a train that goes North to South though lol

Or a decent road for that matter

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Check mate cymrailures

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Saith posted:

That would be a good point if we were saying that all foreign names are intrinsically funny because of the foriegnness, and/or if conversely no English names were funny.

Neither is the case.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

thespaceinvader posted:

This is exactly what I got told when I suggested someone not make cracks about Zarah Sultana's name, too.

Apparently "funny" names being "funny" are immune from racism.

I agree, but also, I will never stop making fun of posh tory names.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
You guys should legit start using the word Cymry instead of Welsh tho when referring to a Welsh person

Partly because its easier and quicker to type, partly because its our word for ourselves, not based on a Saxon slur and partly because it basically means 'comrade'.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Saith posted:

You guys should legit start using the word Cymry instead of Welsh tho when referring to a Welsh person

Partly because its easier and quicker to type, partly because its our word for ourselves, not based on a Saxon slur and partly because it basically means 'comrade'.

I will happily do this so long as you assure me that it’s completely replacing of the word Welsh in all manners of syntax because I’d rather not look like a dumbass for using it.

Also if welsh is a Saxon slur, why hasn’t there been more work to fix that from within Wales? Is wales also a slur? I’m not being facetious here, I legit don’t know this poo poo and I’m curious

Sanitary Naptime fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Saith posted:

Not Cymraeg?