Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Every time I see Jennifer Aniston in a new movie I have to wonder if she just genuinely loves acting or if she is being horrendously blackmailed by someone.
I'd bet on lifestyle-bloat, in absence of other more compelling evidence (not that I care to gossip). Once you're a star it's not just your own finances, it's your kid's and your parents and your friends-turned-assistants and your dietitian and your agent and your so on until "Jennifer Aniston" is basically a catch-all term for a cottage industry of like 5,000 people worldwide whose entire livelihood rely on what this one woman chooses to star in.

That's why I don't have much respect for Tom Cruise or Jackie Chan and their whole "I do my own stunts" macho bullshit. Even with all their handlers protecting them, they're still gambling with other people's money just so their personas get a PR boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Skwirl posted:

Athletes and Actors are pretty much the only rich people who earn their money.

Maybe it’s more accurate to say they exploit the least amount of people getting rich?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dr Christmas posted:

Maybe it’s more accurate to say they exploit the least amount of people getting rich?

That's fair.

Edit: I still think athletes absolutely earn their money, and the major problem with sports is the non top performing athletes making poo poo while management makes insane amounts of money.

Air Skwirl has a new favorite as of 04:04 on Feb 11, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

New actors maybe, but all these celebrities are investing their money into things and are capitalists in their own right, and can in many ways dictate what portion of the studio's budget will belong to them alone, undercutting most of the other people in the production, since they own a resource (their likeness and name) that can't be easily cut or replaced. Steve Jobs did start his career as a technician, but by the end of his life he was a capitalist. It's the same thing.

Athletes straight up are exploited, they destroy their bodies so the people above them can make absurd amounts of money.

Beelzebufo has a new favorite as of 04:48 on Feb 11, 2020

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

No matter how much an athlete or actor makes, there's some bigger, worse capitalist making more money than they are off of their labour.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/NylaRoseBeast/status/1106367004305432576

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Rich athletes are rich because they can do things no other human can do, rich actors are rich because people want to see them in a movie, any movie.

There's a lot of people who are good at their job and deserve way more than actors or athletes make, but that just means they're underpaid.

And those are literally the only two fields where that can be. Literally the only two.

Like... what about authors? Artists?

Dr Christmas posted:

This isn't really true either.

Actors don't exist on their own. An actor you see onscreen is the result of scriptwriters, costume designers, hairstylists, directors, choreographers, stuntpeople, training, editors, etc, etc. An actor gets paid more because they are the face on the screen but they don't necessarily put in more work than anyone else on the film. (For certain stunt-heavy movies they probably put in significantly less work than the stunt people and CGI production teams.)

ImpAtom has a new favorite as of 06:52 on Feb 11, 2020

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

ImpAtom posted:

And those are literally the only two fields where that can be. Literally the only two.

Like... what about authors? Artists?

I'd include both of those under athletes. They do work in heavy sprints with lots of time off in between but their value only lasts as long as they produce wins.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Untrustable posted:

Trying to figure out how to make this my ringtone. Absolutely stunning. Listened to his album 'Europe'. on my way home today and it's all so good.

What type of phone do you have?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Push El Burrito posted:

I was hoping it would twist that there wasn't enough teabagging. There's never enough teabagging in video games.

I really loved teabagging in Overwatch.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Athletes and Actors are pretty much the only rich people who earn their money.

What about Paul McCartney

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/bodil/status/1226990035939086337?s=21

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/duffy_ma/status/1226971702678228993?s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mind the walrus posted:

That's why I don't have much respect for Tom Cruise or Jackie Chan and their whole "I do my own stunts" macho bullshit. Even with all their handlers protecting them, they're still gambling with other people's money just so their personas get a PR boost.

Why not include Keanu Reeves in that?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

mind the walrus posted:

I'd bet on lifestyle-bloat, in absence of other more compelling evidence (not that I care to gossip). Once you're a star it's not just your own finances, it's your kid's and your parents and your friends-turned-assistants and your dietitian and your agent and your so on until "Jennifer Aniston" is basically a catch-all term for a cottage industry of like 5,000 people worldwide whose entire livelihood rely on what this one woman chooses to star in.

Is this a parody post or is this a thing that people actually believe

E: changed Americans to people

Son of Rodney has a new favorite as of 14:12 on Feb 11, 2020

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Son of Rodney posted:

Is this a parody post or is this a thing that Americans actually believe

Why on earth would you try to pin that on Americans?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Why on earth would you try to pin that on Americans?

Good point, propably my preconception that Americans are more capitalist minded or something. Changed it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Platystemon posted:

Why not include Keanu Reeves in that?

I think the big difference with Reeves is that he's stated before that he doesn't do his own stunts, but he does perform his own fight scenes. Also, he doesn't really flaunt it around. There's nothing like the MI movies that have entire segments of their marketing campaigns centered around Tom Cruise jumping out of planes and poo poo. Also from what I've heard Reeves these days takes the lowest amount of money possible for staring in a movie, which is still like a million dollars, but to compare you've got assholes out there who command 20 million dollar per movie salaries for some god drat reason.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I think the big difference with Reeves is that he's stated before that he doesn't do his own stunts, but he does perform his own fight scenes. Also, he doesn't really flaunt it around. There's nothing like the MI movies that have entire segments of their marketing campaigns centered around Tom Cruise jumping out of planes and poo poo. Also from what I've heard Reeves these days takes the lowest amount of money possible for staring in a movie, which is still like a million dollars, but to compare you've got assholes out there who command 20 million dollar per movie salaries for some god drat reason.

Because rear end in a top hat studios are making hundreds of millions of dollars off of their work and Hollywood is an industry where nobody gets paid if they're not an rear end in a top hat about it. The Hollywood Economist is a really good book about it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Also from what I've heard Reeves these days takes the lowest amount of money possible for staring in a movie, which is still like a million dollars, but to compare you've got assholes out there who command 20 million dollar per movie salaries for some god drat reason.

How is that the lowest possible amount? No employer is going to say "No no, we couldn't possibly pay you any less than a million dollars!" if you insist on being paid less.

And couldn't he just negotiate for the highest pay and then have it all disbursed equally among the entire cast and crew or sent straight to some worthy cause or whatever?

This isn't even a criticism of whatever it is he's actually doing, I just don't know what it could possibly even mean that he's taking the lowest amount of money possible.

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Also from what I've heard Reeves these days takes the lowest amount of money possible for staring in a movie, which is still like a million dollars, but to compare you've got assholes out there who command 20 million dollar per movie salaries for some god drat reason.

To be fair, no one stares in a movie like Keanu Reeves.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite Hollywood accounting tweet

https://twitter.com/ed_solomon/status/1139031900931198976?s=21

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Tiggum posted:

How is that the lowest possible amount? No employer is going to say "No no, we couldn't possibly pay you any less than a million dollars!" if you insist on being paid less.

And couldn't he just negotiate for the highest pay and then have it all disbursed equally among the entire cast and crew or sent straight to some worthy cause or whatever?

This isn't even a criticism of whatever it is he's actually doing, I just don't know what it could possibly even mean that he's taking the lowest amount of money possible.

Probably something to do with the Screen Actors Guild and pay scales

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Super Waffle posted:

Probably something to do with the Screen Actors Guild and pay scales

SAG minimums are like $1000 a day (more for stunts but you get the point)

e. I guess not more for stunts but it doesn't really matter. Less on a weekly basis. I highly doubt Keanu Reeves works for the SAG weekly minimum. If anything he's known for giving his salary to production crew.

Phil Moscowitz has a new favorite as of 15:22 on Feb 11, 2020

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Vincent posted:

What type of phone do you have?

Nokia 6.1 running Android 10. I figure if there's a YouTube video I can rip it from there and use some sketchy app to make a ringtone.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Untrustable posted:

Nokia 6.1 running Android 10. I figure if there's a YouTube video I can rip it from there and use some sketchy app to make a ringtone.

https://tvidder.com/

Use this URL
code:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1225805881977311232

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I will not just stand by and let you people deride Keanu. He is a genuinely cool and nice person.

Despite how dumb as his recent gun-kata movies are I still like him.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Despite how dumb as his recent gun-kata movies are

:mad:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tiggum posted:

Actors of his caliber typically have agents who handle the back end work of auditions and contracts, which means he could be contractually obligated to be paid a certain minimum for his time. He has a net worth of about $360 million but apparently lives relatively frugally and gives away tons of money and expensive gifts to people instead of hoarding it or spending it all on drugs and alcohol. He's also repeatedly taken huge pay cuts on films he believes in to help fund them.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

I will not just stand by and let you people deride Keanu. He is a genuinely cool and nice person.

chitoryu12 posted:

He has a net worth of about $360 million but apparently lives relatively frugally and gives away tons of money and expensive gifts to people instead of hoarding it or spending it all on drugs and alcohol. He's also repeatedly taken huge pay cuts on films he believes in to help fund them.

In my head, I have a graph of 'doucheness/coolness' vs 'time' and two lines: one for Keanu and one for Johnny Depp and they are exact inverses.
I just need someone to give me the dates of when they started and when they both crossed the line from 'douche' to 'dude'

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Keanu wasn’t ever a douche

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Keanu wasn’t ever a douche

Maybe 'douche' is too strong.

Cool/uncool? There was definitely the joke that he had the acting range of a block of wood and no personality, while Depp was the cool kid. That's flipped around.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Shut up Meg posted:

Cool/uncool? There was definitely the joke that he had the acting range of a block of wood and no personality, while Depp was the cool kid. That's flipped around.

Yeah I’m not saying anything about his acting range. I just don’t remember anyone ever thinking he was a dick to other people or otherwise an rear end in a top hat. He’s always been this guy who made it in Hollywood, has been in a couple really cool movies, and never turned obnoxious.

Johnny Depp on the other hand you’re absolutely right about.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yeah I’m not saying anything about his acting range. I just don’t remember anyone ever thinking he was a dick to other people or otherwise an rear end in a top hat. He’s always been this guy who made it in Hollywood, has been in a couple really cool movies, and never turned obnoxious.

Johnny Depp on the other hand you’re absolutely right about.

Well...

https://twitter.com/redditspaces/status/1227262338090356738

zoux has a new favorite as of 17:08 on Feb 11, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shut up Meg posted:

https://observer.com/2018/09/film-crit-hulk-keanu-reeves-and-good-acting/

This article breaks down Keanu Reeves, Johnny Depp, and Nicolas Cage based on the joke on Community about "good bad acting vs. bad good acting." Long story short, Keanu was always himself and that means he'll seem off if you put him in a role that he's not suited for (like a historical drama) but he'll always provide a sense of authenticity and earnestness when he's in the right role, while Johnny Depp cottoned on to how much attention he got from Jack Sparrow and now basically acts at people, being a crazy method acting clown in everything that distracts from the rest of the cast.

And Nicolas Cage just does whatever the hell he wants.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
https://twitter.com/gokunaruto3000/status/1227092799369035776

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/cwarzel/status/1227284534011387905

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/KimZetter/status/1227300593074491392

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
https://twitter.com/MykeCole/status/1227294561426427907?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Despite how dumb as his recent gun-kata movies are I still like him.

hey don't talk poo poo on the grammaton clerics man :(