Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

pile of brown posted:

Hiring someone just because they are a woman is equally as bad as not hiring someone because they are a woman.

That said when I'm hiring, I'll hire the best candidate in front of me based on skills and experience, gender doesn't/shouldn't affect their work

It really isn't.

Edit seriously, this is a dumb as gently caress post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

pile of brown posted:

Hiring someone just because they are a woman is equally as bad as not hiring someone because they are a woman.

That said when I'm hiring, I'll hire the best candidate in front of me based on skills and experience, gender doesn't/shouldn't affect their work

... I don't think anyone was suggesting that?

Ugh, I knew posting my "hey, what if I Joan of Arc'ed" idea would cause turmoil. I'll just shut up and go back to the kitch --- WAIT A SECOND

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Someone literally just posted that they would hire a woman over any man.

That's dumb as gently caress.

Edit: and if for some reason I need to defend being feminist, 75% of chefs I trained under were women and I've hired plenty of women. But hiring someone BECAUSE they are a woman is not progressive.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

pile of brown posted:

Someone literally just posted that they would hire a woman over any man.

That's dumb as gently caress.

Edit: and if for some reason I need to defend being feminist, 75% of chefs I trained under were women and I've hired plenty of women. But hiring someone BECAUSE they are a woman is not progressive.

No I don't give a gently caress about progressivism. I legitimately think any generic man is significantly more likely to be a bad hire than any generic woman.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Angular Cyrus posted:

They'll Do It Every Time 9/3/46

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Sextro posted:

No I don't give a gently caress about progressivism. I legitimately think any generic man is significantly more likely to be a bad hire than any generic woman.

Great, that's literally what sexism is, and the opposite of feminism.

Men and women can both be lovely or great employees and choosing who you hire based on their genitals is sexist as gently caress.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 11, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

pile of brown posted:

Great, that's literally what sexism is, and the opposite of feminism.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Skwirl posted:

It really isn't.

It actually precisely is

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Can we get back to less controversial topics like how much BOH sucks and how much FOH rules?

A little more seriously: I think the people saying they'd hire women over men are mostly talking about back of house, which is a very male dominated area and they are being hyperbolic because they've likely seen a poo poo ton of sexist poo poo happen back of house, and also a ton of sexual assault happen back of house.

Not to say the harassment or assault doesn't happen up front either, just no one loses out on a job waiting tables for being a woman

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

pile of brown posted:

It actually precisely is

It really isn't.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
"Can we stop this slap fight?"

*continues slapfight in next post*

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Explain how, I'm genuinely interested how you can determine someone's hirability based on their sex without being sexist.

Edit: I hire in back of house, and I've hired qualified female candidates who have applied, but I don't sort candidates by sex because that's both a) sexist, and b) a stupid thing to do

Edit 2: how is maintaining a sexist hiring practice helping to end sexist culture in BOH?

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 11, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

pile of brown posted:

Explain how, I'm genuinely interested how you can determine someone's hirability based on their sex without being sexist

They can't, because they're wrong.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

It's a good thing I've nothing to do with hiring and hopefully never will. Sorry to get folks all wound up.

That said, let's hash out what's worse. Valentine's day or The last Friday of Restaurant Week.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Tails on shrimp in tossed, heavily sauced pasta. Surgery with knife and fork, wasted protein and a pile of shell fragments.

I don't understand. I don't understand.

Anne Whateley posted:

Agreed. If it's something like shrimp cocktail, leave the half-tails on for a handle. If it's a shrimp boil, leave on all the heads and legs and everything, I don't care. But if it's in pasta, gently caress that, I don't want to reach into my pasta and get sauce all over my hands every two minutes.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 11, 2020

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
In my town restaurant month peters out.

Wednesday Valentine's day was one of the worst weeks of my life.

Discendo Vox posted:

Tails on shrimp in tossed, heavily sauced pasta. Surgery with knife and fork, wasted protein and a pile of shell fragments.

You eat the tails too

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Sextro posted:

I can understand this position without agreeing with it. A woman in a kitchen (that's good) HAS to be driven and kick a lot more rear end/haul a bunch more weight to get recognized in the industry; if they have experience, you know they've earned it.

But I also think its equally biased to go 'there are lazy kitchen workers that exist, most cooks are male' and leap of logic that to 'dudes tend to be lazier'.

What's even more concerning to me is that this viewpoint seems to work for them; and is thusly reinforcing itself, even if its rooted in wrongness.

Sextro posted:

That said, let's hash out what's worse. Valentine's day or The last Friday of Restaurant Week.

Mothers day. Restuarant week is pbad tho.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
At my last place graduation weekend for the local college was the worst of all... Last year I bought so much food I didn't put butter or eggs into the fridge because there wasn't room and I still ran out of food halfway through Sunday

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Had a 45 top doing all you can drink on Friday. The first order was for 42 of our draught beer and 3 oolong teas which kinda made me laugh for some reason. I just barely survived.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shot

https://twitter.com/AshToTheFuture/status/1225734828215107586?s=20

Chaser

https://twitter.com/CosplayMei/status/1225832601560051712?s=20

Front of house wise, I try and not work valentines, whether it's a diner or somewhere with a $150 prix fixe.

Edit: I would take someone out to a restaurant during restaurant week, I would never eat out on Valentines, if my better half can't cook I can make something pretty good myself and we can either stay in or go to a bar or a club after.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 11, 2020

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Olive Garden wife, Olive Garden life.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Discendo Vox posted:

That post is from 2017. I am honored

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Olive Garden wife, Olive Garden life.

I have thankfully never served a table where someone proposed during the meal. I have no idea what I would do, I guess stand back and pretend to be happy assuming the other person said yes. But probably just try and get as far away as possible.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Sextro posted:

It's a good thing I've nothing to do with hiring and hopefully never will. Sorry to get folks all wound up.

Clearly Valentines by a mile.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hey thread, any thoughts on https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-10/george-calombaris-restaurant-empire-in-voluntary-administration/11951504 ?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Geez Louise, I didn't think my post would start this big of a slapfight. Sorry, posters/mods.

A place I applied for couple months ago to be a cook (I really like their menu and looks like a promising venue) just posted a CL ad looking for a dishwasher. I'm no stranger to dishpit, and I loving need the money. How do I sell myself to this place? Like, I want to say "I will basically do anything short of sucking cock, please just give me a paycheck" but looking so desperate (which I am) ain't a good look either.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Good. Pay your people mother fucker.

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

You know, Maine has a really cool underground hip-hop scene...

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Geez Louise, I didn't think my post would start this big of a slapfight. Sorry, posters/mods.

A place I applied for couple months ago to be a cook (I really like their menu and looks like a promising venue) just posted a CL ad looking for a dishwasher. I'm no stranger to dishpit, and I loving need the money. How do I sell myself to this place? Like, I want to say "I will basically do anything short of sucking cock, please just give me a paycheck" but looking so desperate (which I am) ain't a good look either.

Walk into the place resume in hand and ask to speak to the chef. Tell them you have experience and are willing to do whatever needs to be done. After that it's just a matter of proving yourself.

You might be stuck in the dishpit for a bit but so be it. If you need the money then you need the money.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skwirl posted:

If you're talking about who I think you're talking about, they're permabanned, tried re reging once or twice and was also permabanned.

Man and His Dog, also lol.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Chalk is Cheap posted:

Walk into the place resume in hand and ask to speak to the chef. Tell them you have experience and are willing to do whatever needs to be done. After that it's just a matter of proving yourself.

You might be stuck in the dishpit for a bit but so be it. If you need the money then you need the money.

If you walked into my restaurant while it was open with a resume asking to speak to me, I would tell you to gently caress off. If you don't have the basic understanding that we are busy and don't have time for that, I don't want you. What kind of boomer poo poo is this?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Manuel Calavera posted:

Man and His Dog, also lol.

Like you were pretty clear it was that rapist dipshit.

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

If you walked into my restaurant while it was open with a resume asking to speak to me, I would tell you to gently caress off. If you don't have the basic understanding that we are busy and don't have time for that, I don't want you. What kind of boomer poo poo is this?

You work inside security at an airport. Obviously that changes things. I'll admit timing makes a difference, don't walk in at peak hours.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Chalk is Cheap posted:

You work inside security at an airport. Obviously that changes things. I'll admit timing makes a difference, don't walk in at peak hours.

I haven't always worked in an airport, obviously. And my statement stands now too. There is a reason why online job postings usually say poo poo like "do not apply in person, do not contact the establishment during business hours".

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

I haven't always worked in an airport, obviously. And my statement stands now too. There is a reason why online job postings usually say poo poo like "do not apply in person, do not contact the establishment during business hours".

Zero interest in a pissing match, so olive branch time. What would your advice to JD be?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Now I'm going to do this. And I'm going to ask you if the burger us any good.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Chalk is Cheap posted:

Zero interest in a pissing match, so olive branch time. What would your advice to JD be?

What others have said probably, don't put the first name on the resume. They live in small podunk towns which are almost universally racist and sexist, and a feminine or "ethnic" name is a handicap in those environments.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Now I'm going to do this. And I'm going to ask you if the burger us any good.

It's the worst one you'll ever have, just go to McDonald's.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Good. Pay your people mother fucker.

Yep. I'm a fan of George's from the show, but that's a huge amount of underpaying. gently caress him.

And now I'm waiting with bated breath for the announcement of the new judging team.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Challenge accepted.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Whether you'd make preference to a woman hire over a man is simply if you believe in affirmative action. I would hire a not white male given two otherwise equal candidates and call it progressive. Similarly people like my boss think white men are UNDER ATTACK and will give preference to me and other pasty white dudes even if we are underqualified. It's NOT RIGHT that there are MINORITIES in HARVARD. You'll find more of the latter in small towns ime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Absolutely do not never ever go to a place in person while they’re open for business to drop of resumes, good loving lord.