Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Shift-D actually just teleports you back to your ship while you are in a station, because you haven't got all day. But some people like walking once or twice until the novelty of the feature has worn off and they can experience the joy of playing stowaway.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I mean, technically true, because many of those are at the greybox stage, and whitebox is actually just a made CGI up term for greybox.

The "or better" part is... Well, ok, that's a lie.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Inacio posted:

pretend to be disappointed at the current pace of development, that seems to be a popular trend lately after the lovely roadmaps. and then post the coffee machine as proof that their priorities aren't in the right place.

unrelated: remember me?

Oh hell it is the mixmaster 5000? I figured it was about the IRL $15K coffee maker or the coffee maker that can spawn ships.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Yeah, but you see, some guy on some forum told us that this kind of delays is normal in every company*

*That is managed by Chris Roberts or is a defense contractor

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Colostomy Bag posted:

Oh hell it is the mixmaster 5000? I figured it was about the IRL $15K coffee maker or the coffee maker that can spawn ships.

oh no, the spectrum thing is. that's why i said the mixmaster image was unrelated

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Agony Aunt posted:

Imagine giving a dev $10 a month for 7 years for not producing a game!

:lol: Imagine trusting a Crobbear to make a game with no subscriptions, then 7 years later you realize you've been paying a monthly subscription for years for no game at all and no game in sight.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Antigravitas posted:

Shift-D actually just teleports you back to your ship while you are in a station, because you haven't got all day. But some people like walking once or twice until the novelty of the feature has worn off and they can experience the joy of playing stowaway.

Curses, CIG beaten again :argh:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

commando in tophat posted:

Sleep as in human sleep or computer thread sleep? Really can't tell in this particular industry. As a "fun" story, I ended up using spinlock (busy waiting) for some synchronization between game logic, rendering and input threads because sleep(0) was causing a lot of stuttering (of course this is only for waiting to e.g. push/pop some data from array or something)

Yeah that stuttering was because sleep is just a suggestion of what you want the OS to do to a thread. The OS does not guarantee that the thread will be woken at the stated time. Or ever, really.

Things like that are why something like the promise pattern is usually recommended to make a process asynchrous.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Inevitable consequences of subsumption NPCs :allears:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAy4VfHT42o&t=139s

Spawn points are a thing in the hangar- as you can see here, clicking on one brings up a menu of things you can spawn in that slot.

For some reason the coffee machine also features one of these, but:

a) it can be spawned into the PTU, if somebody bought one of those 300i starters and then spent an extra dollar or two for the coffee machine

b) It is bugged as though it were a landing pad spawn point

c) it will give you an inventory of everything the owner owns

This can lead to some great fun if you manage to get aboard somebody's 300i and start spawning their ships.

Thread is good again

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

valiantlife posted:

I keep seeing this kind of statement but yet to see anyone list a game that does everything SC does but better. No I'm not talking about worse management than CIG, but all the elements SC does together.

This is true. It's never been done before and that's why this thread exists. The things SC does just gets better and better with every patch and no one else would, or likely ever will, attempt it.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Yeah but what is 'grey' anyway

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
That video is FUD, not space citizen at all. Spaceman doesn't even turn the steering wheel in golf cart. In space citizen, you control the spaceman that turns steering wheel which turns golf cart. No fidelity :colbert:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
-We pledge to deliver the game and to respect you
-I pledge to give you :10bux: a month
-Game has been delayed indefinitely. You want shows? gently caress you!
-You greatly disappoint me CI-G, however, a pledge is a pledge and my honour demands I continue to give you the tenner. This shall be a lesson for thy!

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
If only your honour was quantifiable...oh wait...

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

AbstractNapper posted:

:lol: Imagine trusting a Crobbear to make a game with no subscriptions, then 7 years later you realize you've been paying a monthly subscription for years for no game at all and no game in sight.

Promise: a game with no subscription

Reality: a subscription with no game

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
As time goes on and nothing is released, my smugness from refunding grows more potent

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Time_pants posted:

mind.loving.blown.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Hezzy posted:

As time goes on and nothing is released, my smugness from refunding grows more potent

you're missing out on... the new empty planet and uh... the chance to buy some other ships for several hundred dollars?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Reminds me, what the heck was their last concept sale? The mole?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Colostomy Bag posted:

Reminds me, what the heck was their last concept sale? The mole?

was the mole a concept? i thought that was being sold on the store when the new patch dropped

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Time_pants posted:

:five:

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Sabreseven posted:

there is no place for "oh but darlings, this week is pink perm and glittery teddybear week, *fawn fawn, simper*"

I haven't caught up fully, sorry if i'm dredging stuff. But out of curiosity Saberseven is this how all people act in your imagination when they get to wear what they want? Can't help but feel there is some caricature being expressed here more to it than "not dressing in a suit and tie".

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Inacio posted:

was the mole a concept? i thought that was being sold on the store when the new patch dropped

Yeah sorry. I'm confusing concept ships that people bought/pledged 8 years ago versus new cash.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Star Citizen: mostly just fluff

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

valiantlife posted:

Got a link or a source to back this claim up?

I keep seeing this kind of statement but yet to see anyone list a game that does everything SC does but better. No I'm not talking about worse management than CIG, but all the elements SC does together.

What do you consider "everything."

Elite Dangerous does "everything" SC does right now, several things it's promised, and doesn't really crash. Except space legs.

No Mans Sky and Subnautica does most of what SC does including space legs.

But when people are talking about what you quoted they're talking about technical features.

64 bit object space has been done in Ogre3D forever (no major engines do it because there's not a point and until very very recently compute units on graphics cards were not 64 bit)
"Object container Streaming" or whatever else CIG wants to call it is a combination of what is "normally" called occlusion rendering and interest management. There are papers on both from before SC did it's kickstarter

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Just stumbled on this 2019 vid again, and I see Chris is the source of the persistence + 'no more wipes' daydreaming. Should have figured...

quote:

SO TO BE CLEAR, when we fix server side OCS, when that is working, then you'll have true persistence. To have server OCS we have to have true persistence in the game because the server has to know exactly the state when it throws it out of memory, and then it restores from that state. So once we're assisting the state of the universe to a database, when things are going on a server, that means we have true persistence. Probably around about that point of time is where we'll stop resetting everyone's database, so people can earn money towards accumulating ships

Best bit was how YT transcripted the last bit though: "so people can burn money towards accumulating chips"

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah sorry. I'm confusing concept ships that people bought/pledged 8 years ago versus new cash.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Wait what thats braindead.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

And somehow this isn't even included as a fine print in the infamous "Pledge".

Clown Stimperium posted:

You’ve pledged your money to earn your Citizenship.

Now it’s our turn.

You understand nothing of funding. We don't owe you anything. Nothing is mandatory on the roadmap. You're funding a project that we decide how it's done.

Signed,
Crobbler and Co
(spell correction mine, because gently caress Blowbber's syntax).

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 11, 2020

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

one's opinions/remarks.[/i]

:shepspends: "I'm cancelling my $10 subscription, but i'm still giving them $10 a month for Pay2Win credits, that'll show CIG!"
:allears:

:laffo: :gary:

So close, they were so close to getting there and then the end "I'm still gonna give you my money, but I really hope you change!". lol

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: Guessing Calling All Devs plans were shelved when the number 1 question was what's happening with SQ42 says everything.

Not bitter or quitting the project - just frustrated CIG can't even sit down and come up with a decent explanation for what is bottlenecking the progress or at least come up with a plan to discuss it all after the bottlenecks are cleared and explain that to us.

Understand completely the time it takes to get a game right never disputed that but I am getting tired of constantly waiting for SQ42 updates to be honest. The newsletters are ok but they don't give demonstrations and examples it's just words on screens.

I appreciated Road To Citizencon back in 2016 about the SQ42 demo being dropped and I enjoyed the Vertical Slice even to this day from 2017 showing off what to expect as well as directors commentary that made it even better.

But even with several grand spent in SC for the PU I am more interested and eager for the SQ42 game and that's what I want to hear about more of. It's tiring CIG keep pretending that we're not asking for more of it as if ignoring the question will make it go away.
:

:saddowns:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I am staying to think that Star Citizen as pitched will never see the light of day.

Or the dark of night for that matter.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Lladre posted:

I am staying to think that Star Citizen as pitched will never see the light of day.

Or the dark of night for that matter.

took you a while

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
CIG I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed...

*hands over :10bux:*

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Yay, a dose of Chris!

Star Citizen: Pillar Talk - Looking Into 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFmwlgWQFyg

Recorded at Citcon apparently

The first bits have been about glueing servers together and how there really will be a janitor that tidies up the server. Or something.

"[img posted:

https://i.imgur.com/jkBLM2b.png[/img]"]Why did they choose to release this now after withholding it for months? Also they talk about 3.9 but that was before they gutted it a few weeks ago.

quote:

Now they just look over-optimistic because we already know this stuff isnt going to make it into 3.9

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just checked the reddits and apparently the backers are beginning to suspect that maybe there is a small possibility that perhaps there may be some sort of issue with the development of the game.

Weird.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

valiantlife posted:

Got a link or a source to back this claim up?

SC also doesn't do all those elements together; they say they do, or say they will, but at the moment they don't. Chris is a pathological liar so his word has no value, and since he's in charge of the company, that conclusion can be extended to include all communications from CIG. When the game actually does what it says it will do, then it may very well be the first to do it. Doesn't mean it will be a good game, but some people only care about whether or not they can do something instead of worrying about whether or not it's a good idea. (It isn't, for reasons the Crobbler can't understand, but since he doesn't understand anything, that's not saying much.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

trucutru posted:

I just checked the reddits and apparently the backers are beginning to suspect that maybe there is a small possibility that perhaps there may be some sort of issue with the development of the game.

Weird.

You must be reading the wrong reddit.