Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Been a slow day for coronavirus news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

unpacked robinhood posted:

We need a flightradar for all the plague ships

https://www.marinetraffic.com/

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Spinz posted:

Just read most of the c spam thread about this tonight, much more informative lol
But some real whackos too (and they diss GBS in there, so stupid)

The main takeaway is the length of time you are asymptomatic and spreading it may be 24 DAYS.

:aaaaa:

The main report of an asymptomatic carrier being highly contagious has been withdrawn. Long incubation time is still bad because it means people are more likely to travel while carrying it, and quarantines are way harder. But people are not spreading the thing during that incubation time.

(It was based on interviews with the people who got sick, not the person who spread the virus. Later they got in touch with the woman and she said she was sick, she just took a bunch of OTC meds so she could attend her important business meeting.)

Klyith fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 11, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I was told virus has a tendency to mutate into more contagious/less lethal variants.

Maybe people carried it to Singapore and UK have the long incubation/less deadly favor.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Whoah cool

I thought they were in the port but it seems they are actually parked at sea ?

e: they arent far from a tanker called MAGIC WAND

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 11, 2020

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Chrs posted:

Been a slow day for coronavirus news

They finally named it. Covid 19.

Catchy!

Althalin
Nov 19, 2019

Putting the ham in Chamon
Pork Pro

Saros posted:

Catchy!

I mean, it's a little bit less obnoxious than the official designation of "2019-nCoV"

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

stephenthinkpad posted:

I was told virus has a tendency to mutate into more contagious/less lethal variants.

Maybe people carried it to Singapore and UK have the long incubation/less deadly favor.

Nah not this type. It has a built in error fixing mechanism

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/juliettekayyem/status/1227239641197182976

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Do you know the person who told you that, or could it have been a load of corona viruses in a trenchcoat and hat?

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Saros posted:

Catchy!

That’s a poo poo name

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Saros posted:

Catchy!

Sounds like the name of a gang of drug dealing crows.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

I really don't understand this. Am I missing something here? What are the better options? Letting the "healthy people" (you don't actually know that) off and potentially infecting the whole country? Why are senior scholars at blah de dah doing poo poo takes like this.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The fastest way to get them off the boat is probably just to spread the virus to japan asap, then there will be no reason to keep them.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nurge posted:

I really don't understand this. Am I missing something here? What are the better options? Letting the "healthy people" (you don't actually know that) off and potentially infecting the whole country? Why are senior scholars at blah de dah doing poo poo takes like this.

We could assume japan has the infrastructure to quarantine a few hundred people in a place where they aren't guaranteed to get infected eventually

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

stephenthinkpad posted:

More contagious and less fatal are not strictly correlated. Evolutionary pressure is strong for making a virus more contagious, but pretty weak for making it less fatal. Viruses can be pretty drat fatal and still work just fine. For example, smallpox was contagious as heck and killed 30% of people who got it for centuries (way higher if you were native american). And there's no biological mechanism where a mutation that increases contagious-ness automatically makes it less fatal.

If you do happen to get a mutant strain that's more contagious while also coincidentally being less lethal, it should quickly out-compete the more lethal strain. It gets there first and protects the person from subsequent infection by the more lethal version. I think in a fast-spreading airborne disease like flu or coronavirus it would be a pretty rapid turnover? But I'm not an epidemiologist or virologist so that's just speculation.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Gmail who knows what's up is giving me ads about discount cruises

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

unpacked robinhood posted:

We could assume japan has the infrastructure to quarantine a few hundred people in a place where they aren't guaranteed to get infected eventually

It's not about the 3000 people on the boat, it's about 126 million people who live in japan. Compassion is nice but it's hard to make the napkin math look good when you're talking about hundreds of plague victims disembarking on an island with no plague. 1 employee fucks up or someone pays to break quarantine or something and you could have city quarantines in japan in a few weeks. The only silver lining here is that at least all those poor fuckers are on a boat, at sea, where a perfect quarantine is easy.

Honestly though I'm surprised some foreign passengers haven't gotten themselves disembarked via government intervention. If we really wanted our citizens off of there they'd be home by now.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

poverty goat posted:

Honestly though I'm surprised some foreign passengers haven't gotten themselves disembarked via government intervention. If we really wanted our citizens off of there they'd be home by now.

I'd really like to know how those things are supposed to work. Presumably any gvt is free to show up and pick up their citizens ? (but they don't because it's someone elses problem atm)

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

How effective would my period-authentic plague mask be for keeping coronavurus at bay? Please know I only use the freshest herbs and camphor in the beak.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Facebook Aunt posted:

Hello, sailor.

whoa momma!!

bones 4 beginners posted:

I fell for the toilet paper rumor. I just kept seeing people around town all carrying multiple packs. I got nervous and bought some too. I missed out on all the rice, masks, and sanitizer, so I had to panic buy something.

I tried to warn you earlier in the thread. I hope you like muddy asses!

Chrs posted:

Do you think the queen actually said “hashtag coronavirus”?

YES. I do.

A Grand Egg posted:

No you're right, 4th hand evidence and the word of a poster who sounds credible is fine.

Theres only 86 pages of crap and a hoard of dumbasses reading.

they're figuring it out chap, calm down

stephenthinkpad posted:

Yap. Every 2 day you have 1% more people tested positive and they have to reset the quarantine day counter and there will be more sick people the next time they test it.

To be honest unless the quarantine is actually effective in keeping the customers 100% separate from other infected people, that sounds like a great way to get an entire cruise ship full coronavirus victims

Rinkles posted:

uh where's the door? I feel claustrophobic just looking at it

It's really only for sleeping and a place to keep your stuff, generally, so it's not as big a deal. Suddenly it becomes very coffinlike when you're forced to spend 24 hours a day in the thing, sounds like a nightmare.

That's not even the crew quarters, keep in mind. The crew quarters will have cramped bunkbeds and people slammed together in incredible profusion, due to the fact that normally they sleep in shifts.

Play fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 11, 2020

Play
Apr 25, 2006

This is more like what cruise ship crew quarters are like... not the best for restricting the flow of disease

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is the lighting lovely blue LEDs or yellow rear end CFLs because it has to be

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It's not about keeping the people on the ship from getting sick. It's about keeping everyone on land from getting sick.

And outside of the cabin fever a cruise ship isn't the worst place in the world for this to happen. They have a known population that was exposed and can control their access off the ship. And the ship has medical facilities and the crew is trained on illness prevention and cleaning (for norovirus).

Imagine if it happened at Tokyo Disneyland. There would be no way to contain everyone and give them checkups.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zero One posted:

Crew is trained on illness prevention and cleaning (for norovirus).

Lol sure

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Zero One posted:

It's not about keeping the people on the ship from getting sick. It's about keeping everyone on land from getting sick.

And outside of the cabin fever a cruise ship isn't the worst place in the world for this to happen. They have a known population that was exposed and can control their access off the ship. And the ship has medical facilities and the crew is trained on illness prevention and cleaning (for norovirus).

Imagine if it happened at Tokyo Disneyland. There would be no way to contain everyone and give them checkups.

I realize that, I'm just kind of surprised there aren't better options than keeping everyone cooped up on the same boat. They don't necessarily have to go ashore, they could put the people who are almost certainly not infected into another boat, then once the correct period of time passes without symptoms let them ashore. Hell, Japan may even have more than one extra boat! Keeping them cooped up in a room that small seems like a disaster in the making once one person manages to catch it.

Of course, no one cares about them because they are basically Indian serfs. It's certainly safer alone in your stateroom cabin, although who knows if its actually safe. I wonder about the air circulation

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Play posted:

I realize that, I'm just kind of surprised there aren't better options than keeping everyone cooped up on the same boat. They don't necessarily have to go ashore, they could put the people who are almost certainly not infected into another boat, then once the correct period of time passes without symptoms let them ashore. Hell, Japan may even have more than one extra boat! Keeping them cooped up in a room that small seems like a disaster in the making once one person manages to catch it.

Of course, no one cares about them because they are basically Indian serfs

Nobody on the ship is or has been "almost certainly not infected" for some time

Play
Apr 25, 2006

poverty goat posted:

Nobody on the ship is or has been "almost certainly not infected" for some time

Then they waited a bit too long didn't they. They could've separated those infected and likely to be infected, in fact the earlier they separated folks and the more groups they created would probably mean several of the groups would end up completely disease free, instead of what we have now where it seems pretty clear that basically everyone on that ship is going to get the disease.

Not pretending to be an expert here, just a regular guy. I understand the concept of the quarantine, just wondering if it could've been executed a bit differently.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I'm going to do this Burt!!!! working title is "The Bug Boat" but if you guys can think of a better one let me know

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Forgot pic :doh: ^^^^

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
If you want hot takes from "typical" cruise passengers I highly recommend this https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2730905-diamond-princess-passenger-tested-positive-for-wuhan-coronavirus/page/44/

quote:

Some Americans are asking Trump to get them off the ship . Its possible it could be done. Send transport planes to Yokohama . Either use buses to the airport or send a navy ship or two to take them off. An aircraft Carrier would have room for all of them and they have good medical facilities. Not sure if viable but worth exploring. The US Navy has two hospital ships birthed in San Diego. Here is the information on them.
When not in use, these ships operate with a skeleton crew. But in as little as five days, each can be converted into a 250-, 500- or 1,000-bed mobile hospital with a crew of 1,200 Navy physicians, nurses, corpsmen, technicians and support staff. These are some of the most highly trained medical personnel in the world – working together as only a Navy crew can – with the skills to handle primary, trauma, pediatric, and orthopedic care. Each ship has 12 operating rooms, with specialized trauma centers and post care-unit beds included.
It is amazing what can be accomplished medically on these ships, both for military personnel and civilians. No wonder these two ships have become a symbol of hope around the globe whenever disaster strikes.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

My solution to this would be to park a hospital ship next to the cruise and transport there the ill people. Take extra care not more people on the ship is infected and release then once the quarantine period ends. Then sink the ship in the pacific.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

All those people posting there should be put on a boat and the boat taken out to sea and sunk.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
i dont think i would ever go on a cruise seems really expensive for a hotel that takes you to a few tourist areas.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Right now all they have to do is completely disinfect 1 cruise ship once all passengers are dead hospitalised or proven not ill. That's way more convenient than disinfecting an aircraft carrier, multiple quarantine sites or similar...

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
No but you see these people are being inconvenienced. The American government needs to do whatever it can so these white Americans vacations are rescued.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Hopper posted:

Right now all they have to do is completely disinfect 1 cruise ship once all passengers are dead hospitalised or proven not ill. That's way more convenient than disinfecting an aircraft carrier, multiple quarantine sites or similar...

Rename the ship, so their next visitors dont find is the plague ship

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
General Bullshit > We Are All Gonna Die: RIP Burt Sexual

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
I just remembered that in some cases, some symptoms are digestive problems and diarrhea. Add on to the fact that this is airborne.

Could one vector of transmission that people are missing out is actually farts??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
All of this because those juicy pangolin titties were just too good to pass