Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I just got an email that Lou Zocchi's garage burned down. So that's tons of vintage dice and old wargames and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

I just got an email that Lou Zocchi's garage burned down. So that's tons of vintage dice and old wargames and whatnot.

That sucks for him. I also wish I hadn't just read the phrase "vintage dice."

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

That's awful, but one more step towards me having the biggest library of old RPG poo poo anywhere. Good thing I store it here in nice, safe Southern California.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

theironjef posted:

Good thing I store it here in nice, safe Southern California.

And all of the archival copies that I’ve stored safely on Kangaroo Island, Australia.
Now I’m going to take a big swig of water before answering this phone call.

VirtualBasement
Jun 5, 2006

"Be not afraid..."

theironjef posted:

That's awful, but one more step towards me having the biggest library of old RPG poo poo anywhere. Good thing I store it here in nice, safe Southern California.

Ah good old reams and reams of paper sitting on wooden shelves in Southern California. What could go wrong?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

dwarf74 posted:

That's the Library of Alexandria for wargames. Real shame.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

VirtualBasement posted:

Ah good old reams and reams of paper sitting on wooden shelves in Southern California. What could go wrong?

My uncle lost hundreds of books and thousands upon thousands of pages of campaign/character notes when his Moreno Valley house was foreclosed in the 2008 crash. Does that count?

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

dwarf74 posted:

Am I allowed to be amused that we’ve lost records of games that tend to boil down to tons of detailed record-keeping?

VirtualBasement
Jun 5, 2006

"Be not afraid..."

Zurui posted:

My uncle lost hundreds of books and thousands upon thousands of pages of campaign/character notes when his Moreno Valley house was foreclosed in the 2008 crash. Does that count?

Yes it does. :thejoke:

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

e: eh

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
TotalCon 2017 - 100% male guests of honour
TotalCon 2018 - 100% male guests of honour
Totalcon 2019 - 100% male guests of honour
Totalcon 2020 - 89% male guests of honour (Notorious harasser Bill Webb still an industry guest, may or may not have chaperones this year)

Well it's an improvement, having 3 women as industry guests but..wow do they have a diversity problem in general, and with 7 of their 27 guests being partners in, or worked for Frog God, yeah, that's definitely sending a message about the type of convention it is and what you can expect there.

https://www.totalcon.com/industry-guests.php

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

PST posted:

Well it's an improvement, having 3 women as industry guests but..wow do they have a diversity problem in general, and with 7 of their 27 guests being partners in, or worked for Frog God, yeah, that's definitely sending a message about the type of convention it is and what you can expect there.
What's the deal with FGG?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Elephant Parade posted:

What's the deal with FGG?
It's the Bill Webb thing, if you're familiar.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

dwarf74 posted:

It's the Bill Webb thing, if you're familiar.
I'm not, but I was able to look it up.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Maybe don't do any business with Judges' Guild anymore, folks.

https://batintheattic.blogspot.com/2020/02/concerning-judges-guild.html

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Wow, such wonderful people over there at judge's guild.

Exciting Jeff
May 23, 2005
I missed this thread to the point where I was ready to get myself canceled to revive the thread.

I just wish the impetus for its resurrection was not related to the con I am attending for the first time in a week. Other than steering clear of Bill Webb, anything to watch out for at TotalCon? I basically wanna play minis.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember years of hearing about how loving old pulp fantasy, exactly as it was when it was published, is in no way an indicator of reactionary conservative beliefs. And then it's just a couple clicks from those guys' blogs to some insane neo-monarchist shrieking about how the Turk is going to recapture Vienna.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Oh they missed this one. Both RB2 and his kid RB3 are terrible.

I shouldn't be that surprised; nothing good comes out of Decatur.

fidgit
Apr 27, 2002

And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.

Exciting Jeff posted:

I missed this thread to the point where I was ready to get myself canceled to revive the thread.

I just wish the impetus for its resurrection was not related to the con I am attending for the first time in a week. Other than steering clear of Bill Webb, anything to watch out for at TotalCon? I basically wanna play minis.

The hotel does a horrible job of keeping the bathrooms clean. It pays to get a room if only to have a clean place to poop. Otherwise, it's a really fun con.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

holy poo poo

holy fuckin' poo poo that's some antisemitism, how did they stay hidden for so long

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I'm gonna go with "no one was looking".

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Combo of "no one was looking" and "no one wanted to talk about it" is my guess.

There's a lot of "I game with this person, they can't be too bad" in nerd culture, sadly.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
This whole industry needs to be burnt to the ground. Seriously.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Well, if the big fat black eye I got from the CSIO Kickstarter wasn't enough to keep me from doing that...I mean...wow.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

This industry still manages to be consistently slimier then electronic gaming, and electronic gaming is in the middle of a underage gambling fed stock bubble! :stonk:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mors Rattus posted:

holy poo poo

holy fuckin' poo poo that's some antisemitism, how did they stay hidden for so long
I like how the other commenter is casually going by "Ty Goebbels."

That's some stormfront level poo poo there.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Holy gently caress it goes deeper

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

^^^^^ :shopkeeper:

StratGoatCom posted:

This industry still manages to be consistently slimier then electronic gaming, and electronic gaming is in the middle of a underage gambling fed stock bubble! :stonk:

Nah, everything is poo poo. The biggest differences are the bigger crowds in video game development for shitheads to hide in, and they aren't as egregiously underpaid as in TTRPGs.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 11, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
This industry has huge problems, but I don't think the failson inheritor of a small OSR company represents the industry. I'm a lot more concerned about scandals at bigger companies that don't get a "Who? What?" response when I mention them to literally anyone I play with.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Halloween Jack posted:

This industry has huge problems, but I don't think the failson inheritor of a small OSR company represents the industry. I'm a lot more concerned about scandals at bigger companies that don't get a "Who? What?" response when I mention them to literally anyone I play with.
Historically, JG is extremely important and integral to understanding the early days of the hobby.

Presently, they're a dinosaur. Apparently a nazi dinosaur.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Does/did Judge's Guild do anything particularly relevant? I looked at their wiki page, it mostly looks like their heyday was pumping out a bunch of generic licensed stuff for major games in the early mid 80s. Since 99 it seems like it's been even more minor attempts to get on the d20 wave and license their 1-2 nostalgia properties.

I mean, it's still awful and I'm glad what seems like their only publishers are cutting ties. But aside from technically going back to the early days of D&D through their now deceased founder, they don't seem any different from any other fringe player, or to have done much of note for decades.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
City-State of the Invincible Overlord was a hugely influential product. The Wilderlands of High Fantasy was one of the first "campaign settings," and the eponymous book was released before World of Greyhawk and a decade before the Forgotten Realms Campaign Set.

For a long time now they mostly license their IP to other people to publish.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Early TSR was really reluctant to produce premade adventure modules (most of what they did publish were repurposed tournament adventures), so Judges Guild filled in the gap with plentiful, not-too-expensive, and cheaply-produced modules, most of which were pretty dreadful (but I still have a soft spot for Dark Tower). They stopped being important right around the mid-1980s (as TSR started to produce more material at a much higher quality level) and the company largely wound down by the late 1980s. They had a revivial in the early 2000s (as they re-released some of their classic modules for D20) and again now (re-re-releasing their classic stuff for the OSR and 5E).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Reportedly, when someone showed Gary & Co. a copy of Wee Warriors' Palace of the Vampire Queen, they were bewildered at the notion that anyone would want to buy a premade adventure or setting for their home campaign. (TSR was writing adventures at that point, but only for tournaments.) They distributed some Wee Warriors products, but Judges Guild was the first company they actually licensed to produce product for D&D.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Desiden posted:

Does/did Judge's Guild do anything particularly relevant? I looked at their wiki page, it mostly looks like their heyday was pumping out a bunch of generic licensed stuff for major games in the early mid 80s. Since 99 it seems like it's been even more minor attempts to get on the d20 wave and license their 1-2 nostalgia properties.

I mean, it's still awful and I'm glad what seems like their only publishers are cutting ties. But aside from technically going back to the early days of D&D through their now deceased founder, they don't seem any different from any other fringe player, or to have done much of note for decades.
They were the first notable producer of supplementary third-party material for RPGs. They had adventures and campaign settings on the market before TSR started selling them.

They are a key player in the earliest days of D&D - probably #2 next to TSR itself.

Modern players won't recognize most of their stuff - CSIO, maybe; Wilderlands perhaps - but they shaped a lot of D&D's direction in the 70's and early 80's.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Halloween Jack posted:

Reportedly, when someone showed Gary & Co. a copy of Wee Warriors' Palace of the Vampire Queen, they were bewildered at the notion that anyone would want to buy a premade adventure or setting for their home campaign. (TSR was writing adventures at that point, but only for tournaments.) They distributed some Wee Warriors products, but Judges Guild was the first company they actually licensed to produce product for D&D.
Yeah, Gygax and crew thought the whole point of the game was building your own world and drafting your own adventures to play through, and they were just baffled by the idea that people would want to play in someone else's world with modules that someone else put together. Which actually makes a lot of sense considering they came up through miniatures gaming (where play groups were expected to assemble their own armies and terrain and design their own scenarios and kitbash and houserule whatever ruleset they used). Gygax designed and published several minis rulesets (Tractics, Chainmail, Don't Give Up The Ship) before working on D&D.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Halloween Jack posted:

It's more that it's a constant nonstop :zaurg:, is more the thing.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

FMguru posted:

Yeah, Gygax and crew thought the whole point of the game was building your own world and drafting your own adventures to play through, and they were just baffled by the idea that people would want to play in someone else's world with modules that someone else put together. Which actually makes a lot of sense considering they came up through miniatures gaming (where play groups were expected to assemble their own armies and terrain and design their own scenarios and kitbash and houserule whatever ruleset they used). Gygax designed and published several minis rulesets (Tractics, Chainmail, Don't Give Up The Ship) before working on D&D.

While this is true, a lot of wargaming does involve poring over history books and military manuals to duplicate uniforms, equipment, and formations from specific periods of history to create your armies, and then doing the same thing with campaigns and battles to create your maps and OOB.

So it's not that logical. It's like... well, it's Gygax-logical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
TSR was also slow to realize that there was an audience for the RPG hobby beyond people who quibble over uniforms and rank insignia of the Napoleonic wars.