Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

R0ckfish posted:

I finished up another Exocrine!

Sorry if you already answered this but what do you do for your bases? Apart from the gnarly water effects, what are the rocky outcrops?

I'm about to paint up some big tyranid beasties, and my usual bone drybrush on sand, plus some bigger bits of rock (goblin green rims of course) seems kind of bland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

IPA Regulations posted:

Sorry if you already answered this but what do you do for your bases? Apart from the gnarly water effects, what are the rocky outcrops?

I'm about to paint up some big tyranid beasties, and my usual bone drybrush on sand, plus some bigger bits of rock (goblin green rims of course) seems kind of bland.

The bases are an initial layer of sculptamold to form the river shape and give body, then followed by stirland battle mire over top other then the river bed which is just covered with wyldwood and drybrushed. Instead of battlemire I would recommend looking into vajello basing paste as it is very similar and way cheaper, I was stuck into GW basing paste by previous work.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

R0ckfish posted:

I finished up another Exocrine!

If it wasn’t for the fact I’ve already got Orks, so a second Xenos horde army seems redundant (I know Nidzilla lists are a thing but I’d rather go 1 Xenos, 1 Imperium, 1 Chaos and 1 each of horde, gunline and elite for my armies), I’d really think about getting because the bigger units look amazing, though not sure I’d ever make them look this good.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Anime_Otaku posted:

If it wasn’t for the fact I’ve already got Orks, so a second Xenos horde army seems redundant (I know Nidzilla lists are a thing but I’d rather go 1 Xenos, 1 Imperium, 1 Chaos and 1 each of horde, gunline and elite for my armies), I’d really think about getting because the bigger units look amazing, though not sure I’d ever make them look this good.

I have both nids and orks, I dont regret it too much. As for painting, it's just practice and finding a striking scheme which is not too much effort.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

jng2058 posted:

I'd recommend you get Battle Scribe ( https://www.battlescribe.net/ ). It usually updates within a week of some kind of army change, be it points changes or new unit types or whatever. It makes it a lot easier to calculate your points.

Also, use ButtScribe.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

xtothez posted:

PL is for people who build their new units exactly like the photo on the box without even thinking of trying to min-max each weapon option.

PL does literally the opposite of this, though, because it tells you that your plucky band of box art heroes are a fair fight for a min maxed monstrosity, which is emphatically not true. If that's what PL is supposed to be then it's failing super loving hard at it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

jng2058 posted:

I'd recommend you get Battle Scribe ( https://www.battlescribe.net/ ). It usually updates within a week of some kind of army change, be it points changes or new unit types or whatever. It makes it a lot easier to calculate your points.

thanks, this made life much easier

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Strobe posted:

PL does literally the opposite of this, though, because it tells you that your plucky band of box art heroes are a fair fight for a min maxed monstrosity, which is emphatically not true. If that's what PL is supposed to be then it's failing super loving hard at it.

I mean it's supposed to be a roughly equal fight, not a totally fair fight. Also worth bearing in mind that two armies can have the exact same points value anyway and it's not necessarily a fair fight, so that sort of logic is always a bit weird.

The way I see it points are GW's best stab at making two armies equally as good as long as their points values are the same. It's not perfect but they do their best to get it as close as possible.

PL is like that, but even less accurate designed for quickness and simplicity.

I wouldn't play a match with PL, but I can imagine situations where you would.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

xtothez posted:

PL is for people who spend most of their hobby time painting and/or reading novels, but still want to enjoy the occasional narrative game based on their favourite story.

That's me, I don't use PL because it doesn't work because it's a really really bad implementation of that idea. No one is confused by what it's supposed to do. It just does a piss-poor job of it.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Is the Remora Stealth Drone useful at all, or is it trash?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Kitchner posted:

I mean it's supposed to be a roughly equal fight, not a totally fair fight. Also worth bearing in mind that two armies can have the exact same points value anyway and it's not necessarily a fair fight, so that sort of logic is always a bit weird.

The way I see it points are GW's best stab at making two armies equally as good as long as their points values are the same. It's not perfect but they do their best to get it as close as possible.

PL is like that, but even less accurate designed for quickness and simplicity.

I wouldn't play a match with PL, but I can imagine situations where you would.

A five man unit of Death Company with bolt pistols and chainswords is the same as a five man with Thunder Hammers.

A squad of Crisis Suits with one Burst Cannon each is identical in PL to a same size squad with three Cyclic Ion Blasters each.

Power level loving blows at making reasonably balanced fights. Its only use is for making games where the number and type of models involved "looks right".

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

:monocle: Didn't know this existed, thanks!

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I think I have played four games with power level. One was when 8th first started and I brought in a random pile of models and said "someone teach me how to play"

The other three were when new people brought in their random handfuls of models and wanted someone to teach them how to play.

Strobe posted:

Power level loving blows at making reasonably balanced fights. Its only use is for making games where the number and type of models involved "looks right".

To this point though yea, anyone with a decent amount of experience at the game could probably eyeball a small force and plop down a reasonable number of models to make a reasonably fun learning match just as easily as matching power level.

The part where power level fails horribly is that it doesn't do anything to stop someone from bringing a horribly unbalanced minmaxed force of the same "power", and thus doesn't do anything to enforce a casual, friendly game which is what it is ostensibly for.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Improbable Lobster posted:

That's me, I don't use PL because it doesn't work because it's a really really bad implementation of that idea. No one is confused by what it's supposed to do. It just does a piss-poor job of it.

Yeah I think even in a casual game it's not great because it requires both players be on the same page. Something like Deathwatch Veterans become way more powerful in PL where the only real restriction is points affecting the weapons you bring.

Points have this problem too but they're constantly tweaking points while PL generally remains the same despite power creep.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Giant Isopod posted:

The part where power level fails horribly is that it doesn't do anything to stop someone from bringing a horribly unbalanced minmaxed force of the same "power", and thus doesn't do anything to enforce a casual, friendly game which is what it is ostensibly for.

PL operates with the assumption that none of the parties involved are min-maxing and trying to game the system. If somebody is thinking about how to maximize their army's efficiency they're already doing it wrong. PL is a casual way to play the game because it doesn't function properly unless all parties involved are playing it casual.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

PL is a casual way to play the game because it doesn't function properly unless all parties involved are playing it casual.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeahhh, like, if you're using points is basically the same as that mode where you and your opponent both just field as many models as you want

Its not the worst idea to have a less fiddly way to build armies, but building a list by points or power level, either is a giant pain in the rear end unless you use battlescribe so... just use battlescribe and then who cares about points.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Clawtopsy posted:

Apparently the Warp Spider Phoenix Lord's armor was recovered in the latest Psychic Awakening book.

This is good, because Warp Spiders are the coolest aspect, tied with Striking Scorpions.

And because they may finally stop using the sculpts that have been around since I was in middle school.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

the aspect rankings goes like this

Tier 1: Warp Spiders, Striking Scorpions
Tier 2: Fire Dragons, Incubi, Swooping Hawks
Tier 3: Dark Reapers, Howling Banshees
Tier 4: Shining Spears

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

As the OG Striking Scorpions, Incubi should be tier 1 :colbert:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Clawtopsy posted:

Where do the goofy rear end Forge World Shadow Spectres fit in?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

jng2058 posted:

Where do the goofy rear end Forge World Shadow Spectres fit in?

Fanfiction Tier.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

As the OG Striking Scorpions, Incubi should be tier 1 :colbert:

Incubi: we are DARK and SERIOUS and use big CLOUD STRIFE SWORDS

Striking Scorpions: we got face guns and chainsaws, lol :D

its no contest

e:: in fact in light of this im moving incubi down to T3with the other edgelords, dark reapers

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
GW hasn't had banshees for sale since the blood phoenix box I think? I guess they just desperately want people to buy from the recasters. I'd really like 10 of those and 10 striking scorpions for my eldar army. Warp spiders would be cool too, but they're kinda expensive, pointswise and modelwise, for what they do imo. With 3+ save and 21 of their sword attacks + 3 mortal wounds on average on a charge, striking scorpions aren't bad for 90 points I don't think. Shadow strike is like :confused: though.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Clawtopsy posted:

Incubi: we are DARK and SERIOUS and use big CLOUD STRIFE SWORDS

Striking Scorpions: we got face guns and chainsaws, lol :D

its no contest

e:: in fact in light of this im moving incubi down to T3with the other edgelords, dark reapers

This is a fair criticism. And in light of the fact that the Incubi used to have head guns but got rid of them in a bid to be more edgy, I think they should be pushed down to guardian tier.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I think all the aspect warriors are tier 1 except incubi.

Robot Uprising
Sep 19, 2006

Spinning Buzz Saws
People who kitbash the knights kits with the plastic sisters of battle might be my new favorite thing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Robot Uprising posted:

People who kitbash the knights kits with the plastic sisters of battle might be my new favorite thing.

That is awesome.

masam
May 27, 2010
I have extraordinarily expensive inspiration now.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Clawtopsy posted:

You forgot dire avengers but i imagine that was deliberate

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

You forgot dire avengers but i imagine that was deliberate

oh yeah lol theyre in the forgettable tier

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Robot Uprising posted:

Gallant

Goofus

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Any good sources for third-party Tau bits?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

goose willis posted:

Bandai? :v:

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

goose willis posted:

Red Dog minis is the only one I've been able to find other than Shapeways for bitz. Wargames exclusive of course makes cheesecake and non-cheesecake proxies.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

goose willis posted:

Its not much but

https://puppetswar.eu/models-and-bits-49/sci-fi/manga-bots.html?p=1

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Clawtopsy posted:

do Warp Spiders still have the rule where they have a chance of getting lost in the warp every time they teleport

actually it's been so long since I cracked an eldar codex that I'm not even sure if that was just a fluff thing

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
A friend and I had a Floorhammer game about a week and a half ago. I finally have enough terrain to host a decent, if small, game of 40k.

We played a monster mash - as many robits and daemon engines as we could cram/own. Points were 1250 - he was about a week out from being able to kick it up to 2000 with a shipment of used Custodian dreadnoughts, but the post had other plans. I played my XXth Legion, while he played Minotaurs with some Guard support (in the form of Sentinels and one unit of Scions). Our mission was War of Lies, from 30k. I thoroughly enjoyed it - the random objective values made playing to the bottom of turn six feel worth it, rather than one side getting an early lead that the other can't catch up to.

I was pleased to finally run this feller. He was an ebay rescue, and all I had to do was re-make the base. My plan for it was simple - distraction carnifex. He performed this admirably!

Some Terminators deep-struck, with Asterion Moloch in tow. I wasn't too worried - thanks to a strategem, they had to be a full twelve inches away from anything they wanted to kill. What's he gonna do, make a twelve-inch charge?

gently caress!

This combat lasted some time.

It ended with me continually falling back with my Moolerfiend, so my mostly-untouched Legionnaires could shoot the poo poo out of Moloch. Why didn't my bud ever scoot Moloch so he was out of the open? I dunno.

On the other side of the board, Hekaton proceeded to rip his way through many robits.

I stopped taking pictures at that point, but anyway the game pretty much ended when a boxnaught shot him point-blank with a missile and he blew up. Since I had two objectives and Slay the Warlord to his one objective, I came out with a comfortable lead. But hey, War of Lies - you never know. We're looking forward to playing that 2k version in the next month or so - good news for me, since I still have two Contemptors, two Maulerfiends, and a second Leviathan that didn't get to play.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Filthy Hans posted:

do Warp Spiders still have the rule where they have a chance of getting lost in the warp every time they teleport

actually it's been so long since I cracked an eldar codex that I'm not even sure if that was just a fluff thing

Not teleporting, surprisingly, but their flickerjump ability which allows them to phase out when getting shot at has chance of losing a model (2 on a 2D6)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

They used to have a rule that could kill them in the warp, but that was also the age of space marine jump troops landing on a bumpy patch then faceplanting themselves to death.