Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

FilthyImp posted:

Coworker wants to ditch their Prius for a Lincoln MKZ or Lexus CT 200 Hybrid. Said they want to drive something that handles better than an Ikea sofa.

They're crazy right?? Are those reliable enough? Seems like the maintenance costs would suuuuck.

The lex is basically a Prius both maintenance and driving experience. Mkz is a nicer fusion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

FilthyImp posted:

Coworker wants to ditch their Prius for a Lincoln MKZ or Lexus CT 200 Hybrid. Said they want to drive something that handles better than an Ikea sofa.

They're crazy right?? Are those reliable enough? Seems like the maintenance costs would suuuuck.

if they want a fun to drive car they're barking up the wrong tree

the CT200h is kind of a prius but somewhat more premium
the mkz is an unloved ford fusion

edit: goddamnit teach me to not look at the next page

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There's a twin turbo V6 variant of the MKZ that gets like 400 hp though. :smuggo:

FWIW my friend owns a MKZ. It's a nice, comfortable couch to drive. The heated/cooled seats in the back are a nice touch. They can be a solid value on the used market because nobody wants them.

Brotein_Shake posted:

What this is sounding like is a Subaru is a pretty meh choice. Accurate?

If you get a 2010+, you won't deal with the issues the previous posters are talking about. However, many 2010-2015 Subarus had oil consumption issues. They're still using that same family of engine and I've heard newer Subarus still having oil consumption issues. There was a class action lawsuit against Subaru if you're interested in learning more.

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 11, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Hah. I suppose anything short of a Spark/SmartCar would be an improvement over the Prius, though...

This all got started because I mentioned that I wish I could afford a Niro because of the gas mileage and my coworker saying they were sick of their Prius despite the gas savings. I guess the "practical and modest" choice at 30 just doesn't cut the same at 39.

poo poo, I should just point them to a used Stinger.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mariooncrack posted:

It's a nice, comfortable couch to drive.

the dude literally said he don't want a couch

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

This all got started because I mentioned that I wish I could afford a Niro because of the gas mileage

in general spending money to get better fuel economy is a fool's errand, you're almost always better served from a cost perspective by keeping whatever you've got

edit: also from an environmental perspective

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
True. It just sucks having to refill every week when I could be refilling every *2* weeks. :3:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the dude literally said he don't want a couch
Luxury couch vs Prius couch may make enough of a difference?

Uh oh. I mentioned the cheap Stinger and now it's a rabbit hole of Genesis and Audi TTs... :randstare:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

do not let your friend buy an audi TT unless you don't actually like them

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I feel like this is the right place to post this question. (Didn't read the forum rules originally; sorry about that.)

I'm about to buy a car from a reputable dealership for the first time. How much should I try talking them down on the price?

My options:

2015 Subaru Impreza sedan, less than 80K miles; sticker price $12500
2017 Toyota Camry, less than 70K miles; sticker price $14000

I'm getting a really good trade-in on my rolling dumpster with a leaky rack & pinion from either place ($1000 and $1500, respectively.) Both cars have clean Carfax histories.

Additionally, I'm checking out a 2013 Impreza hatchback with less than 50K, but that one's got a salvage title from collision damage. Seems to run OK; I'm having it checked out today, though. $10000 for that one, less a $500 trade-in for my aforementioned shitbox. (This place isn't a dealership; more a fix-n-flip operation.)

Any advice will be welcome.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do not let your friend buy an audi TT unless you don't actually like them

Are they any different from a turbo Beettle

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

DoctorDelaware posted:

I feel like this is the right place to post this question. (Didn't read the forum rules originally; sorry about that.)

I'm about to buy a car from a reputable dealership for the first time. How much should I try talking them down on the price?

My options:

I'm getting a really good trade-in on my rolling dumpster with a leaky rack & pinion from either place ($1000 and $1500, respectively.) Both cars have clean Carfax histories.

Additionally, I'm checking out a 2013 Impreza hatchback with less than 50K, but that one's got a salvage title from collision damage. Seems to run OK; I'm having it checked out today, though. $10000 for that one, less a $500 trade-in for my aforementioned shitbox. (This place isn't a dealership; more a fix-n-flip operation.)

Any advice will be welcome.

See thread title RE: salvage titled car. Invest no more time/money into the thought.

The impreza would be interesting if it were a hatch, but as a sedan it's uglier, thirstier, and requires more diligent maintenance than the Toyota.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

euphronius posted:

yes, all of the audi-specific stuff is priced as audi parts and it has a haldex awd system to break and wear out too

you shouldn't let your friend get a turbo beetle either

DoctorDelaware posted:

My options:

of those two buy the camry

did you like, read the title of the thread or nah

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

euphronius posted:

All the maintenance and consumables are "premium"?

Yeah I think I'll suggest they get acquainted with the offerings on Turo before they ditch the Prius. This is getting crazy.

quote:

How much should I try talking them down on the price?
You could do some quick math on tax and title costs and factor that in.
Say the car is 12k sticker and you know it's $900 tax, $300 for new plates and $50 Dealer Mystery Cost. Try for 10, 750 and you end up just paying the cost it was priced at.

How aggressive you can be depends on if you can walk away from the deal and how willing they are to play ball.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 11, 2020

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Anyone have any experience with Kia Motors Finance?

I financed a car with them last year, and because I thought I was a smart guy, I've been paying double the minimum amount every month in an effort to pay this thing down faster and with less interest.

But because I am actually dumb, I never checked out where these payments were going until recently. It turns out I am basically paid up through the rest of the year because Kia was just taking my additional payments and applying them to future payments on the loan. So I wasn't actually paying anything down quicker or lessening the amount of interest I would pay.

ANYWAY, that's what brings me here to ask if anyone knows how to go about making additional payments to be applied directly to the principal on a Kia Motors Finance loan. Their website doesn't mention this at all, and I emailed their customer support about a week ago and haven't heard back.

I've heard for other loan companies you should just mail them a check and a letter that says to apply it purely to the principal, but I'd like to hear if anyone here has done this specifically with Kia.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

Anyone have any experience with Kia Motors Finance?

I financed a car with them last year, and because I thought I was a smart guy, I've been paying double the minimum amount every month in an effort to pay this thing down faster and with less interest.

But because I am actually dumb, I never checked out where these payments were going until recently. It turns out I am basically paid up through the rest of the year because Kia was just taking my additional payments and applying them to future payments on the loan. So I wasn't actually paying anything down quicker or lessening the amount of interest I would pay.

ANYWAY, that's what brings me here to ask if anyone knows how to go about making additional payments to be applied directly to the principal on a Kia Motors Finance loan. Their website doesn't mention this at all, and I emailed their customer support about a week ago and haven't heard back.

I've heard for other loan companies you should just mail them a check and a letter that says to apply it purely to the principal, but I'd like to hear if anyone here has done this specifically with Kia.

Call them. Ask. Also ask them to recharacterize the current overpayments as principal payments.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Budget: 10k USD
Style: Four door sedan.
Usage: Driving to work in-town. Probably uber/doordash food delivery on the side. Bachelor car.
Priorities: Lowest cost of ownership (gas/insurance/main) > cruise control > power windows
Where?: Central Cali

Prius seems like an obvious choice, but I havent had much luck finding anything newer than 2010 with this price range. Also, a lot of these are around 150k mileage, which is apparently when the battery warranty in CA is up. These things can go up to 3-4k? I 'd like to think im flexible with options, but cost to ownership is key here. Its a tool to get me from A to B.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

buglord posted:

Budget: 10k USD
Style: Four door sedan.
Usage: Driving to work in-town. Probably uber/doordash food delivery on the side. Bachelor car.
Priorities: Lowest cost of ownership (gas/insurance/main) > cruise control > power windows
Where?: Central Cali

Prius seems like an obvious choice, but I havent had much luck finding anything newer than 2010 with this price range. Also, a lot of these are around 150k mileage, which is apparently when the battery warranty in CA is up. These things can go up to 3-4k? I 'd like to think im flexible with options, but cost to ownership is key here. Its a tool to get me from A to B.

civic/corolla

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Anything more? I was looking at those a bit today but I was hoping for more insight on this.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

buglord posted:

Anything more? I was looking at those a bit today but I was hoping for more insight on this.

Mazda 3 is the perennial thread favorite.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

buglord posted:

You sound boring. Carollas are boring cars. Ergo, they're perfect.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

buglord posted:

Mazda has less reliability pedigree and manufacturing output but they're in the same ballpark in terms of build quality and for some reason they're seen as the "fun" one of the three

e: also yeah, you asked for a low cost transportation appliance, what did you expect?

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 12, 2020

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
What about Hyundai? I saw a few today below 10k. Arent those supposed to be pretty awesome value picks lately? Or does it depend on the year?

What im saying is I was hoping for a little more reason as to why I would instantly pick a corolla/civic. Just saying "corolla/civic" doesn't really tell me more than I have already heard.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Toyota Corolla is the perfect low tco driving appliance. We can give you alternatives if you want but there’s a reason everyone is saying Corolla.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Toyota has made reliable cars since forever, and you asked for the most reliable car with the lowest TCO. There's nothing more to it because you gave us literally nothing else to go on.

Edit: Technically, the lowest TCO vehicle that can go on the highway and get you from a to b is a Kawasaki Ninja 250. You'll buy a beat-up one for $2k and sell it for exactly the same amount in 3 years. Bonus points for pink.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 12, 2020

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

KillHour posted:

Toyota has made reliable cars since forever, and you asked for the most reliable car with the lowest TCO. There's nothing more to it because you gave us literally nothing else to go on.

Yeah and im fine with gettin another corolla. I just figured companies had that cycle where they're fantastic for a period of time, then quietly slip because they're still living off expired reputation. If another corolla or civic lasts me as long as my totaled 2002 corolla, I'm happy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

buglord posted:

Yeah and im fine with gettin another corolla. I just figured companies had that cycle where they're fantastic for a period of time, then quietly slip because they're still living off expired reputation. If another corolla or civic lasts me as long as my totaled 2002 corolla, I'm happy.

They do, but up until literally last year, Corollas were still using the same 2ZR-FE 1.8L engine that came out in 2007. Seriously.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Mazda has less reliability pedigree and manufacturing output but they're in the same ballpark in terms of build quality and for some reason they're seen as the "fun" one of the three

e: also yeah, you asked for a low cost transportation appliance, what did you expect?

the mazda3 is nicer to drive and handles better than the corolla by a wide margin and the civic by a bit depending on generation. that's why they're seen as the fun one.

hyundai has had some issues with engine reliability. the Elantra is pretty good but the Nu engine has some knock/piston slap/sludging issues which HMA is pinning on faulty maintenance. that may be true but it's not a great sign and you don't usually know whether the car was well maintained on the used market.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I was helping somebody set up an Uber account, that was 6 years ago or so, and they had a list of cars you're allowed to use. Not sure if it's still the case. We settled on a four-cylinder barebones Ford Fusion, because it's the nicest vehicle he could have gotten with lowest miles for under 10 grand. That car went from 60k to 190k without any major repairs, just maintenance, afaik

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the 2.5 is probably better for longevity than the various ecoboosts

it's a good point re app driving, although i think the allowability rules are getting more lax. a guy picked me up in a 2009 Saturn Aura the other day.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Everyone around here Ubers in the most beat up, rusted small SUV or minivan they can find. Except for the one person who stuffed me in the back of a Sentra because they apparently hate tall people.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

KillHour posted:

Everyone around here Ubers in the most beat up, rusted small SUV or minivan they can find. Except for the one person who stuffed me in the back of a Sentra because they apparently hate tall people.

I've gotten mostly small Honda SUVs and Corollas. I got one beat to poo poo minivan, but when specifically asking for a large vehicle to take bags to the airport.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Here in Philly I've mostly seen newish midsize crossovers or small suvs from japanese makers with the occasional minivan. A few old sedans, but these are getting less common.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SEMI is of course a lot of domestic stuff plus a poo poo ton of nissan rogues

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Mexico city is all tiny rear end cheap cars we don't get here like VW ventos, ford figos, and Renault Logans. Not the most comfy at 6'4", but uber is also cheap as gently caress in Mexico.

On the west coast, it mostly seems like a random smattering of newish family sedans, cuvs, and pruii.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

do they get the Renault (Dacia) Sandero there? It sucks.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do they get the Renault (Dacia) Sandero there? It sucks.

Yes, but I haven't had the pleasure of ubering in one.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

nm posted:

Mexico city is all tiny rear end cheap cars we don't get here like VW ventos, ford figos, and Renault Logans. Not the most comfy at 6'4", but uber is also cheap as gently caress in Mexico.

On the west coast, it mostly seems like a random smattering of newish family sedans, cuvs, and pruii.

I lived there in 2014 and i have ridden in so many aveos and tiidas

gently caress aveos

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
Update: I've decided against the salvaged Impreza after talking to my mechanic (and reading the title of the thread.) He did say that it was in really good condition, but that if I was going to go for it, I should counter at 30% less.

Currently leaning towards the Camry; I don't give a gently caress about ugly but I give a lot of fucks about ease of/cost of repairs. That dealer won't come down on the price at all, since I'm already getting a ridiculous amount on my trade-in. Having it looked at on Friday.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

luminalflux posted:

I lived there in 2014 and i have ridden in so many aveos and tiidas

gently caress aveos

The pink cabs still have aveos, but the sitios and uber seem to have moved away from it. (I don't live there, just been visiting a lot lately) Tiidas are universal.
And Aveo is probably better than a Tsuru though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

nm posted:

The pink cabs still have aveos, but the sitios and uber seem to have moved away from it. (I don't live there, just been visiting a lot lately) Tiidas are universal.
And Aveo is probably better than a Tsuru though.

My mind had blanked out Tsurus thankfully. I never ubered there, just sitios and red cabs on Yaxi. Also the only place where I’ve paid for a cab ride entirely in spare change.