Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I played RAGE blind, about the same time I played Borderlands 2 blind, both single and co-op. After I realized what a goddawful waste of time Borderlands was, with poor shooting ontop of awful everything else, RAGE was positively delightful! A strange insistence on using the car a lot, but no biggie the gunplay was great. And then the game suddenly ended as they ran out of funding, with a blurry cutscene playing at the end of a corridor hidden in the arse end of an unpopulated second half of the map.

I'd recommend it to anyone who likes shooting things who can find it for $10, doesn't mind silent protagonists, and has no desire to see an ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I started RAGE twice before it clicked with me, the beginning isn't great, but then I really liked it for a while.

It starts getting repetitive though so I quit when the story made me go through a clinic (?) I already cleared from the other direction for a mission before.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I can't remember Rage's ending exactly, but I remember the feeling. I also remember the gratuitous texture pop-in.
-
I'm back to playing FH4 and Dirt Rally. The former for the wacky hijinks and dumb engine swaps/conversions and the latter providing that hudless vroom vroom cockpit experience. Dirt Rally - me driving poorly in the rain GOG Galaxy makes it too easy to keep track of the non-Steam games. Very nice.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

vaginite posted:

:( is there anything modern that can even start to compare to Wizardry? I've waited for so long.
Try Chrono Ark. it’s like Slay the Spire mix with Etrian Odyssey

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Given my current love affair with Destiny 2 I'm unwilling to throw down dosh on Rage 2, but in the future as it keeps going on sales (or gets into a humble monthly perhaps) I will pick it up and try to enjoy it!

I installed RAGE today due to whim and 'cause I bought like a million older shooters over xmas and I've been trying to play them on and off. It's neat installing stuff I bought and never played, as it feels like a surprise present from past!me to present!me. (see also: I finally installed Dangan Ronpa 2 and marathoned it and drat that was fun! Absolutely wild writing with some cool twists and I enjoyed the ending. Very fun and I hope to pick up Ultra Despair Girls and/or V3 at some point when they're on sale.)

I would recommend that you skip Ultra Despair Girls. I started watching a playthrough because I heard the gameplay was mediocre (it's a third person shooter, not a Phoenix Wright-esque game), but skipped out fast once they started using child abuse for character building on characters who are still literally children. Wish someone would have warned me about that beforehand.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

OutOfPrint posted:

A few pages back, someone asked for a big flashing lights hack and slash ARPG like Diablo. Grim Dawn can get there despite the somber tone of the game with poo poo exploding all around in barely controlled chaos, but I'm going to recommend Chronicon.

Despite it being out in early access since 2015, it's continually updated and one hell of a one man project. Each of the four classes has four skill trees representing different subclasses and respec potions are cheap and common enough for experimentation between them. It's a genuinely fun game, and for $10, you won't find much better.

Hey this is pretty cool looking, thanks

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Oh hey, I always kind of thought Chronicon was just yet another turn-based roguelite thingie. I already have way too many of those, but now I'm interested, too.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Floodkiller posted:

I would recommend that you skip Ultra Despair Girls. I started watching a playthrough because I heard the gameplay was mediocre (it's a third person shooter, not a Phoenix Wright-esque game), but skipped out fast once they started using child abuse for character building on characters who are still literally children. Wish someone would have warned me about that beforehand.

I'm gonna 2nd this. I just watched a youtube video for the plot points and moved on. If you really want the total story, play DR 1 and 2. Watch Despair Girls on Youtube\read summary. Watch DR 3 anime. That actually ends the original DR timeline. V3 is considered a whole new thing.

Piekuuns
May 15, 2009

Adhibhautika posted:

Check out https://store.steampowered.com/app/985950/Operencia_The_Stolen_Sun/

It's also on gamepass where I've been playing it.
I haven't really put a lot of hours in it yet, but it scratches the itch better than Bard's Tale 4 I think.

It's kinda like an eastern european wizardry. A bit janky but I like the folklore in it.

Just ignore the horrible voice acting in the tutorial area.

The horrible voice acting does not end at tutorial area.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Why in the name of Gabe's knife collection does steam uninstall every loving game in the default library when you uninstall the client? What the gently caress? I just want to reinstall the client because it started crashing:

(I ended it via task manager since as you can see the cancel button is greyed out)

E: I just moved the common folder out of the steam folder to keep all my games, it's really stupid it's neither an option or pops a warning before just starting to delete everything. Jesus.

E2: Still crashing after a reinstall. The problem is steam suddenly forgot my password and when I try to type in the password box it freezes :(

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 11, 2020

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Darkrenown posted:

Why in the name of Gabe's knife collection does steam uninstall every loving game in the default library when you uninstall the client? What the gently caress? I just want to reinstall the client because it started crashing:

(I ended it via task manager since as you can see the cancel button is greyed out)

E: I just moved the common folder out of the steam folder to keep all my games, it's really stupid it's neither an option or pops a warning before just starting to delete everything. Jesus.

E2: Still crashing after a reinstall. The problem is steam suddenly forgot my password and when I try to type in the password box it freezes :(

Yeah I also had to re-install steam recently and thought :wtc:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Is Wolcen going to increase in price once it is out of Early Access?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, from $30 to $45 I think

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ZearothK posted:

I hope this is a good game. I bought it on Early Access a few years ago and then completely forgot about it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Heads up, serial abuser Alexis Kennedy is trying to rehab his image and claim that his victims had an agenda. He's floating around doing a kickstarter again, too. Be extremely careful around him, he's one hell of a liar.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Is there going to be a massive patch for the Wolcen release or something, because I bought it last week and there are literally "insert cinematic here" title cards, and you can't open the map overlay in the overworld because apparently that hasn't been implemented yet? It feels more like an alpha than something that's going into final release the day after tomorrow.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Floodkiller posted:

By the way, thank you. I knew about this. I know that buying UDG is... well, let's just say that I'm going to get it whenever it goes back on a steep sale so if I wind up hating it I don't blow thirty bucks. I'll be braced for the worst, but I'm too stupid/curious not to read it myself. (And yes, I know there's an LP, but... I want to try it myself. I'm stupid, I know.)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The trailer, and I assume the actual DLC itself, for the Metro Exodus expansion is out. Looks not dissimilar to the first area of the game, at least in the way it plays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qta2HNDHYo

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Not Steam but The Division 2 is $3 right now.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Darkrenown posted:

Steam is DRM, why wouldn't it remove the games.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

God drat that’s a discount right there.

I really enjoyed D2. It wasn’t perfect but it has a lot of fun changes to the structure of the endgame so that you always have fun stuff to do.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Samuringa posted:

Because there is a ton of them, it can recognize and re-index previous library folders and there are lots of reasons why you would want to de- and re-install the Steam client separately from all the many, many games that you have already installed.

I mean, the Steam Client even natively gives you an option to backup game files, they obviously know that you might occasionally want to have one but not the other.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Good lord, that is a price I am willing to pay! I loved D1 and I'm down for the second at this price. Thanks for the heads up!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

StrixNebulosa posted:

Heads up, serial abuser Alexis Kennedy is trying to rehab his image and claim that his victims had an agenda. He's floating around doing a kickstarter again, too. Be extremely careful around him, he's one hell of a liar.

He goes on about a competitor smearing him, whose that meant to be? I thought most of the people he abused either worked for him or had now left the industry.

Samuringa posted:

Because when the client fucks up and you have to reinstall it you shouldn't have to re-download 500gb of games like in my example? Because the DRM is still there and you can't launch the DRMed games anyway. And because it only removes the default library so it's not like it's an effective way to either remove games you're "not allowed" to play anymore or free up diskspace.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
New video for People Can Fly's (Bulletstorm peeps) new game. Not a lot to go on, I dunno, my guess is some kind of coop thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVlzMyPlKek
You know, videogames really need to do better with the whole "woe is me, I've lost my humanity by gaining these sick magic powers and edgy body-mods" and just loving go all out. I'm talking real body-horror and/or mental dissolution stuff.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Adhibhautika posted:

Check out https://store.steampowered.com/app/985950/Operencia_The_Stolen_Sun/

It's also on gamepass where I've been playing it.
I haven't really put a lot of hours in it yet, but it scratches the itch better than Bard's Tale 4 I think.

It's kinda like an eastern european wizardry. A bit janky but I like the folklore in it.

Just ignore the horrible voice acting in the tutorial area.

I’ll take a look this looks interesting

GrandpaPants posted:

Etrian Odyssey? (please port these to PC thanks)

I was always more a Might and Magic guy and I would probably kill for World of Xeen but with a modern UI because wow is equipping poo poo in that game frustrating now.

Played the hell out of those - I wish they’d put em on PC too not a fan of DS - or even just switch.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Darkrenown posted:

Because when the client fucks up and you have to reinstall it you shouldn't have to re-download 500gb of games like in my example? Because the DRM is still there and you can't launch the DRMed games anyway. And because it only removes the default library so it's not like it's an effective way to either remove games you're "not allowed" to play anymore or free up diskspace.

My desktop has three separate steam libraries. I might make a dummy one to set as the default so I don’t have to worry about accidentally nuking all my downloads.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

He goes on about a competitor smearing him, whose that meant to be? I thought most of the people he abused either worked for him or had now left the industry.

Surely Failbetter - the CEO stood with the employees who came forward with their stories.

E: I’ve never actually uninstalled Steam - just reinstalling it over the existing files has always seemed to be enough

Stickman fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 11, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Aug 28th puts it on the day Meg Jayanth did her twitter thread so he is actually smearing his victims there. But yeah he is probably saying it was some conspiracy by Failbetter games to destroy this poor indie developer.
Edit for evidence: https://twitter.com/betterthemask/status/1166757334103842816

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 11, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

It's a frustrating situation because I rather liked Cultist Sim and would have enjoyed their new game, but.... garbage piece of poo poo. Don't abuse people and then lie about it. gently caress Alexis Kennedy.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

New video for People Can Fly's (Bulletstorm peeps) new game. Not a lot to go on, I dunno, my guess is some kind of coop thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVlzMyPlKek
You know, videogames really need to do better with the whole "woe is me, I've lost my humanity by gaining these sick magic powers and edgy body-mods" and just loving go all out. I'm talking real body-horror and/or mental dissolution stuff.
I'm willing to give this a shot based on pedigree alone but games explicitly designed for co-op only rarely have good campaigns.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

anilEhilated posted:

I'm willing to give this a shot based on pedigree alone but games explicitly designed for co-op only rarely have good campaigns.

Supposedly there'll be gameplay on Thursday but as is I can't even tell if it's first or third-person.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Welp. the Metro Exodus dlc came out on steam, but not the base game. Perhaps next week.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/inthekillhouse/status/1227297268040163330

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

funkmeister posted:

Welp. the Metro Exodus dlc came out on steam, but not the base game. Perhaps next week.

Looks like it came out on Feb 15 of last year, so I guess to honor that exclusivity it'll be on Steam in four days.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's a frustrating situation because I rather liked Cultist Sim and would have enjoyed their new game, but.... garbage piece of poo poo. Don't abuse people and then lie about it. gently caress Alexis Kennedy.

The victim smearing is the part I find it hardest to move beyond in terms of my perception of him, because the situation otherwise seems pretty ambiguous beyond him being a lovely boss--as far as we know, he's not a criminal or anything, and I think the abusive behavior that could be documented is the kind of stuff an apology and his current situation would have gone a long way toward convincing people wouldn't be repeated. By the current situation, I mean that fortunately he doesn't seem to intend to grow his company any time soon, so the only person working with him is his fiancee, but the super bristly 'Alexis did nothing wrong' attitude both of them have is extremely offputting even if he's not in a position to abuse anyone else now. There's still a decent chance I'll pick up their next game if it smooths out some of the more tedious aspects of his other work though. :shrug:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
both kennedy and his career can spend the rest of time in a toilet's s-bend

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I wish there were an ethical way to buy games second-hand so you can be sure the money doesn't go to the devs. Our closest bets are bundles or super steep sales, but like... I'm not comfortable paying full price for Borderlands 3, but if I could pick up a used copy in a random store, that would be great!

Mostly I'm thinking of how I'll buy certain books used because the authors are....not good, whereas I'll try to preorder or buy new books from authors I adore.

But because of the online nature of keys, our only choices are resellers (fanatical, humble) where afaik devs still get a cut, or... G2A, which is literal crime.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

But because of the online nature of keys, our only choices are resellers (fanatical, humble) where afaik devs still get a cut, or... G2A, which is literal crime.
I... don't think it actually is? These days they require real names and VAT tax on key sales, so while the industry really wants it to be illegal, I don't think that's really true, strictly speaking. I mean, not really any more illegal than re-selling records or books on Ebay, certainly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Failbetter games at least has no financial ties to Kennedy anymore, so if you buy the Sunless games he at least doesn’t get a dime.