Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Knowing nothing about Altered Carbon outside the Netflix show I enjoyed it and want more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
In very broad strokes The Quellists weren't space jedis, that's wholecloth bollocks. The central character was an Envoy, a soldier for the central government that sought to keep the human civilisation from what it became. That is why he is special and feared. The future he inhabits is a failure of that effort.

His sister is not in any way an active main character as she is in the show.

Like I said what they changed doesn't make sense, and all of it weakens the otherwise pretty drat good TV show.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 11, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I know that sci-fi is the domain of Strange Character Names so I don't know why Quellcrist Falconer sounds like such an idiotic name to me, but it does.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

gohmak posted:

I really don’t want to create a new thread and the season 1 is archived

https://youtu.be/_MzbLQBeR9Y

Altered Carbon season 2 trailer. Looks like the hacks scrapped the Broken Angels plot but kept Takeshi in a black body.

Love Anthony Mackie. Between this and that Falcon & Bucky show he must've been burning the midnight oil.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It's absolutely baffling why they did what they did with the first season oher than feeling the need to put their own stamp on Altered Carbon. The parts changed from the books iwere all failures. The parts that were kept faithful were by far the best elements of the programme.

A completely wasted opportunity for Netflix to have its own answer to Expanse.

Yeah, I don't get it either. They could have filmed each book, as-is, clearly.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Where can i read about the differences? (I've never read the book)

I enjoyed the show but it did have its flaws, would be interesting to know if those flaws are because the showrunners hosed it. ending was deeply unsatisfying

Honestly, just read the books.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

davidspackage posted:

Love Anthony Mackie. Between this and that Falcon & Bucky show he must've been burning the midnight oil.

I think the one-season-and-only-one-season commitment lets them get a higher tier of actor than they normally would otherwise.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I stopped watching Altered Carbon after the sister being behind everything reveal which I thought was stupid as hell and never got back to it. But there was a lot in there I did enjoy. Was the thing I disliked in the book?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's been awhile but I don't think there is a sister in the books. While I thought the show was a fine cyberpunky sci fi series, the book really gets into the meat of the mind/body problem and the philosophical, economical and psychological aspects of stacks and sleeveing. This is much easier to do in a first-person novel than a TV show, so I get why that stuff is downplayed. As the only FTL in the universe is needle-casting, most travel between worlds is done by downloading a person into a sleeve on the destination planet. Envoys are special forces, mentally trained to quickly adapt to a new sleeve and conditions on the ground, they're basically scary badasses. I think the show got way more into Quellism than the books did actually, but again it's been some time since I read them. Also the first book is in a hard boiled noir detective style, so it's mega cyberpunk. Also the hotel is Jimi Hendrix not EAP.

Actually here's an article detailing the differences

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 11, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

marktheando posted:

I stopped watching Altered Carbon after the sister being behind everything reveal which I thought was stupid as hell and never got back to it. But there was a lot in there I did enjoy. Was the thing I disliked in the book?

No that's a tv show change. In the books it's just some random person.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That reveal was the exact point I checked out. Nice to know the book isn't as dumb.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who checked out of Altered Carbon at the same moment. What a bizarre turn for the story, even if it wasn't his sister. Detective or shows based around a mystery are not very satisfying when it's some rear end-pull character out of nowhere like that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Richard K Morgan is actually real good at mixing action sci-fi with high-concept sci-fi. He does a good job with a book satirizing yuppie capitalism using a premise where junior executives seek advancement through Mad Max lethal demolition derby combat on public streets. (Market Forces)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
OK, now that's a vehicle I can get behind.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

zoux posted:

Richard K Morgan is actually real good at mixing action sci-fi with high-concept sci-fi. He does a good job with a book satirizing yuppie capitalism using a premise where junior executives seek advancement through Mad Max lethal demolition derby combat on public streets. (Market Forces)

Battle Angel Alita?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He also wrote, by far, the most explict gay fantasy series ever written. Well besides those Wraeththu novels I guess.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Hey stop its my fad to derail threads!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Y'all ever read any Mercedes Lackey novels? I think I have to thank her for making me so chill with gay characters, during a time when I was partially being raised to believe ridiculous things about it. I got into her books because she had a series with Gryphons on the cover, and she spelled Gryphon the way I liked, so I bought em all up. Then got into her Valdemar series, which is a fantasy kingdom where "heralds" get chosen by psychic horses who are the ghosts of past heralds, and you know, they go around and try and be heroes n stuff. There was one book I got halfway through before having to start over because I was confusing my internal visuals, the main character was a boy who was falling in love with this other boy, but I kept thinking he was a girl. Re-read it once I sorted it out and by the end of it, it's got you as fired up against their kingdom's lingering bigotry as the characters were.

I remember later getting to her Oathbreaker series, there were these two women with a kind of xena/gabrielle thing but the gabby was a badass sword-sorceress. They go for like 3 books worth of all these ordeals together, but then they have them pivot and some dude outta nowhere like marries the characters whose arc started as trying to escape a bad hetero marriage! I kept thinking they'd finally settle down and have their own family thing outside all the BS they'd been fighting against.

Sorry for derail, zoux comment just had me think of the gayest fantasy I've yet read

Matbacon
Aug 5, 2014

zoux posted:

He's gone a bit brainworms lately.

Click at your own peril (Trust me, don't read if you don't want to read lovely stuff):
https://www.richardkmorgan.com/2020/01/the-trouble-with-twitter-2-2020-vision/

tl;dr: he's a TERF

Matbacon fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 11, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well yeah, he's English, it's TERF island over there

Though I guess that's odd considering the potential gender implications of the sleeveing process

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 11, 2020

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Having just watched the first 3 episodes of Picard I am annoyed by two minor points:

Why is Raffi bitter about being poor and living in a trailer while Picard has a fancy house? What happened to being post-scarcity?

Several times it's been mentioned that either millions or tens of millions of Romulans died, but surely there would have been billions in just their capital system, and even more if the nova somehow destroyed multiple systems as seems to be implied. Logically, perhaps the Roms evacuated like 99% of their population and the "millions" were just the small % they couldn't fit that the Federation was going to save. But nothing about this has been mentioned, everyone is acting like the Federation fleet was the only evacuation attempt and because it failed the entire population, a few million people, died. Nothing makes sense.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 11, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Darkrenown posted:

Why is Raffi bitter about being poor and living in a trailer while Picard has a fancy house? What happened to being post-scarcity?

She is bitter about other things and trying to make Picard feel guilty. Her words are designed to harm, not to reflect reality.

As already discussed to death itt, she has a house in the countryside with all the X she can replicate and wants for nothing. That's pretty loving post-scarcity

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
^^^ :argh: you utter bastard

Darkrenown posted:

Having just watched the first 3 episodes of Picard I am annoyed by two minor points:

Several times it's been mentioned that either millions or tens of millions of Romulans died, but surely there would have been billions in just their capital system, and even more if the nova somehow destroyed multiple systems as seems to be implied. Logically, perhaps the Roms evacuated like 99% of their population and the "millions" were just the small % they couldn't fit that the Federation was going to save. But nothing about this has been mentioned, everyone is acting like the Federation fleet was the only evacuation attempt and because it failed the entire population, a few million people, died. Nothing makes sense.

Thread has been arguing this since page 65.

Not to be rude, but start there.

We seem to be at a cease fire right now, it's Christmas day and folks are playing football in the no man's land before Thursday night's whistle sends us back to the trenches.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 11, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is the only TVIV thread I’ve ever seen where it’s better between episodes

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Darkrenown posted:

To your latter point, The Romulan Star Empire is a star empire. They have warp capable ships with transporters. They absolutely mounted their own colossal rescue effort, and it makes sense that they would have moved billions.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

In very broad strokes The Quellists weren't space jedis, that's wholecloth bollocks. The central character was an Envoy, a soldier for the central government that sought to keep the human civilisation from what it became. That is why he is special and feared. The future he inhabits is a failure of that effort.

His sister is not in any way an active main character as she is in the show.

Like I said what they changed doesn't make sense, and all of it weakens the otherwise pretty drat good TV show.

Having never read the books and as someone who got increasingly unengaged with a show that had a neat premise, was the book the self aware sleaze of the first few episodes or the embarrassing highschool boy levels of randiness of the latter half?

Also, does it make any sense that the antagonists who are portrayed as so unassailabley powerful would just allow themselves to be arrested by a totally ineffectual police force in said book?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

To your latter point, The Romulan Star Empire is a star empire. They have warp capable ships with transporters. They absolutely mounted their own colossal rescue effort, and it makes sense that they would have moved billions.

Yeah and the Feds were probably moving the space poors or whatever social minority the Romulans saved for last, which makes Picard feel even worse

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Bloop posted:

Yeah and the Feds were probably moving the space poors or whatever social minority the Romulans saved for last, which makes Picard feel even worse

:rip: Remans

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

Don't worry, the Star-Trek-likers (a thousand curses upon their heads) have already come up with head canon for that one.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Arglebargle III posted:

Don't worry, the Star-Trek-likers (a thousand curses upon their heads) have already come up with head canon for that one.

Regardless of whether it's actual canon or not, I like the idea of chosen living conditions in post-scarcity reflecting a broken mental state, like the tropes related to dreams and virtual reality, but in reality

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Darkrenown posted:

I think the answer to this is that, as usual, Star Trek is just failing at getting scale right. Writers on these shows classically under-depict the sizes of populations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Starfleet right through to DS9 is, canonically, seven vessels and a ferret called Steve.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DS9 gets fleet figures about right given what we know about the size and membership of the Federation and the service life of starships. 1500 to 1800 starships is reasonable. 2500 if they keep everything in service for 80 years.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They said that the evacuation effort relocated 900 million. The nova shockwave would spread at lightspeed, so it's entirely possible there are still people in the path after the initial evacuation of Romulus itself was completed: hell, it's possible they evacuated people from Romulus to worlds still in the path nearby to get them off quickly before the planet was destroyed with plans to then ferry them further out afterwards, and now with Starfleet abandoning the effort they're expected to fend for themselves as it approaches. The kill radius for a generic supernova is about fifty light years, although past about 10 you could probably survive in shielded structures, although the planet would be hosed.

900 million isn't a lot but they are long-lived space elves, which traditionally have low populations, and lowballing the populations makes the evacuation more narratively plausible.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 12, 2020

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

zoux posted:

He also wrote, by far, the most explict gay fantasy series ever written. Well besides those Wraeththu novels I guess.

For those whom have never read Richard K Morgan, his sex scenes are Literotica worthy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

zoux posted:

Which series is this? And is it any good, boning aside? I've got a hankering to read some decent genre gay.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 12, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm a big fan of his previous work and I had really high expectations for the series and it's low, low fantasy, but I read Joe Abercrombie's Logan Nine Fingers books right before it and that's like the best low fantasy I've ever read, so the series never grabbed me. But there's enough graphic sex in the first book that there could be zero more sex in the trilogy and it would still top, heh, the list

It's A Land Fit for Heroes and the first book is The Steel Remains.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Starfleet right through to DS9 is, canonically, seven vessels and a ferret called Steve.

I want to watch the Steve show

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I want to watch the Steve show

Steve the Ferret is actually Aquiel's dog and it just killed everyone on one of those seven vessels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Arglebargle III posted:

So you say you need a prequel season to explain how Raffi is drowning in her depression, having all but wanting nothing?