Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Maybe she has amnesia? She would have learned from the best!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Things I liked: the nod to some of the old-series mythology like the Guardians; 14th century Aleppo as a setting. I liked the bad guy too, generally.

Things I didn't feel really strongly about: most of the rest

Things I disliked: how it came together.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Jerusalem posted:

Can You Hear Me gifs - click to view:

[url=xxxps://imgur.com/G10wjbx][timg]xxxp://i.imgur.com/G10wjbxm.gif[/timg]

I really dug the animated bit:

FYI your gifs never work for me, but now looking at your quote its because the image ends in m.gif but the link looses that, and doesnt lead anywhere

http replaced with xxx just to show

Or is SALR screwing it up somehow?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's an SALR thing, it's come up before either here or in the Wrestling Gif thread I used to run. Can't remember the workaround sorry but yeah the links are all working fine.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Look at Rosa or Demons of the Punjab for a better way to do it. The episode is completely immersed in conflict and racism - they didn't make a normal episode, reveal that the badguy was motivated by racism, and then deliver a speech about how racism is bad.
Rosa episode is incredibly dumb and shouldn't be used as example for anything, sorry. The episode tries to make you believe that whole civil rights movement won't happen ever if she's not arrested on that day. Makes you only laugh, since it's relatively well-known Rosa Parks planned the whole thing, and she'd just do it on the next day. Even if future racist killed her and hid the body, there were other activists to do it, even in the same town.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 10, 2020

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pyromancer posted:

Rosa episode is incredibly dumb and shouldn't be used as example for anything, sorry. The episode tries to make you believe that whole civil rights movement won't happen ever if she's not arrested on that day. Makes you only laugh, since it's relatively well-known Rosa Parks planned the whole thing, and she'd just do it on the next day. Even if future racist killed her and hid the body, there were other activists to do it, even in the same town.

Liberal media loves to paint Rosa Parks as a meek little lady who suddenly decided to take a stand, so what we got was enough of a step-up from my expectations that I was happy to forgive a bunch of other stuff.

Still, a clumsy message that's well integrated into the episode is way better than a clumsy message that pops up right at the end.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Decent episode this week. A few changes and it could have been a lot better, but I guess that's true of most of Chibnall era Who.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
This is the sort of episode where I liked every individual thing it did, but it either didn't do enough things to create a cohesive story, or didn't do any of those things it did so well that it could be forgiven for missing some pieces.

I'll echo that it's a weirdly great call that Ryan's fear uses Orphan 55. That nightmare is basically the good core of that episode in miniature, but also kinda can't exist without Orphan 55 itself, because it needs the Dregs as a 'face' for Ryan's fear of climate change.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yaz had some good moments this episode.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It was...an episode

Felt rather middle of the road and didn't feel like much happened, even though they sealed away two gods with an imaginary monster

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Cleretic posted:

This is the sort of episode where I liked every individual thing it did, but it either didn't do enough things to create a cohesive story, or didn't do any of those things it did so well that it could be forgiven for missing some pieces.

I'll echo that it's a weirdly great call that Ryan's fear uses Orphan 55. That nightmare is basically the good core of that episode in miniature, but also kinda can't exist without Orphan 55 itself, because it needs the Dregs as a 'face' for Ryan's fear of climate change.

i liked that ryans nightmare was experiencing Orphan 55 again. i suspect he's not alone

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Yaz had some good moments this episode.

Yeah it was nice to have some background and see the inspiration that drove her to be a police officer. I also like that Ryan is starting to have second thoughts about traveling with the Doctor, not because he doesn't enjoy it or doesn't like the Doctor but because he's worried about the growing gulf between himself and his friends back home. There's a lot of interesting places they can go with that, especially since his grandfather is also traveling with him, and Yaz has made it clear that she's still perfectly fine with everything going on and doesn't share his concerns.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

My husband just made this. This is why we've been together for almost 17 years. (Though I still think he should've used Maxill for Linked In)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
guardians and toymaker name drop like woah. a literal god clownin on a time lord. Time lord clownin right back

Really liked this episode a whole lot. Covered a lot of ground in a short amount of time. Celestial figures re-established in canon. Villain owned. That's right I loved it come at me :colbert:

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 11, 2020

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Chokes McGee posted:

guardians and toymaker name drop like woah. a literal god clownin on a time lord. Time lord clownin right back

Really liked this episode a whole lot. Covered a lot of ground in a short amount of time. Celestial figures re-established in canon. Villain owned. That's right I loved it come at me :colbert:

These parts were all good. The bad attempt at shoehorning in a message about mental health in as subtle fashion as a GI Joe PSA was not.

There was a time when science fiction was good at metaphors, and using futuristic/alien situations as clever parallels to our real world. Chibnall is one step removed from just having the Doctor look at the camera and state the premise.

"You see viewers, the Kaleds are literally Nazis, and the Daleks are Nazis, and the Thals are also kind of Nazis, and Nazis are bad, and war is bad! Intolerance is bad! Racism is very not good as well!"

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Chibnall needs fewer fingers in pies.

(The pies are the episodes)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Edward Mass posted:

Chibnall needs fewer fingers in ears.

ftfy

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Are we going to leave Earth in this season?

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
I mean, we did this last episode. Orbital space station, two detonating planets, all that.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Technically, a few seconds of Spyfall was on Gallifrey.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

To be honest, all the episodes so far having primarily taken place on Earth is something I'd not noticed until people started pointing it out. Orphan 55 is essentially an alien world episode, it's just that the Planet of the Apes twist means it actually technically isn't.

I'm assuming Gallifrey is going to play some kind of significant role in the finale.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Was there some reason they kept dancing around the word "depression" in their special episode about depression?

I mean I feel like the Vincent episode didn't shy away from it so much.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The doctor accidentally unleashing some all powerful gods on the universe felt like something they could have done a season arc with or at least a two parter. Setting them up and then beating them in 5 minutes of screen time felt like a real waste of a good villain.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Blasmeister posted:

The doctor accidentally unleashing some all powerful gods on the universe felt like something they could have done a season arc with or at least a two parter. Setting them up and then beating them in 5 minutes of screen time felt like a real waste of a good villain.

I thought that at the time, but thinking again afterward I realized that this is a trend. The Eternals, even the Guardians, are amazingly powerful and amazingly clueless. That’s been true of every single instance appearing in the show. This will work better if it’s setting up a real threat further down the line, but as a stand-alone I’m ok with the immortal beings who never learn being easy to defeat so long as you avoid going up against their strengths.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Interestingly, I noticed this is another plot that felt like something from Big Finish.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Seemed to me that the (laudable) goal was to do something about mental illness and how it shouldn't be a stigma, especially with that line from the Doctor about how the hospital in Aleppo was nice but it was a shame how badly they treated people's mental health. But while I'm normally a big fan of subtlety, Ryan's buddy and his issues were way too buried under the nightmare storyline, and the Aleppo girl's felt like they were left on the character bio and never actually put into the script.

The alternative doesn't need to be in-your-face or over-the-top but they gave it way too light a touch I think.

Since no one else has mentioned this.
The Doctor says "This must be one of the oldest hospitals in the world, course Islamic physicians were know for the enlightened way they treated people with mental health problems.", which reads as the opposite to me.
Tahira was there as a patient.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Has the Who elder gods lore ever worked very well?

I mean, Curse of Fenric, Greatest Show in the Galaxy and even The Magic Mousetrap are very good stories, but they keep their villains largely offscreen.

The stories that trade on that expanded lore, or try to play on their villains as active presences, don't really work.

Fake Edit: actually, Enlightenment is pretty good, and it's probably the biggest single contribution to the lore from the original series. Are there any others?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The Impossible Planet / The Satan Pit are technically about an elder god.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

EmptyVessel posted:

The Doctor says "This must be one of the oldest hospitals in the world, course Islamic physicians were know for the enlightened way they treated people with mental health problems.", which reads as the opposite to me.

I knew she was there as a patient, but I completely misheard the mental health line, thanks for correcting me :)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

EmptyVessel posted:

I was too struck by the hamfistedness of the line to think of much else. I mean, it's not untrue and it's good to educate people on, but there's just better ways to go about it.

Vishass posted:

Was there some reason they kept dancing around the word "depression" in their special episode about depression?

Now that was an excellent episode about the struggles of people with mental health problems that didn't come across as written by a committee consisting of writers from "The Get Along Gang" and well meaning educators and therapists. It made you think, it had a shocking but realistic ending, and didn't pull punches.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Vishass posted:

It wasn’t about depression imo. It was about anxiety. They’re comorbid, but this was very much the Body Mashes the Fear Button one and not the sad brains one.

As someone with more than a few problems of my own, I thought that entire episode was well handled. The group session at the end that ended with “I thought it was just me” is 100% on the nose, that’s usually the first time reaction to just about any support group. I realize that sounds obvious but Jesus Christ the moment of quiet relief when you say that...

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 12, 2020

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
huh, I actually loved this episode. mostly because it was great characterization for Yaz, Graham, and Ryan.

and it felt like the episode was unsubtly suggesting that the Doctor's refusal to be open about her own anxiety is A Problem. The nightmare doesn't really work on her, but in an emotional sense this is not a good thing. the others are all confronted with their own fears, and it changes them in positive ways. The Doctor is masterful at compartmentalizing, for better, and for worse.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Definitely going to have to sleep on this one (s12e07 for future reference). Mental health talk was overall good and cool but mate, having an old dude creep on a girl in her bedroom and attack her by flying fingers at her was - NOT OKAY AT ALL LIKE WTF.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lampsacus posted:

having an old dude creep on a girl in her bedroom and attack her by flying fingers at her was - NOT OKAY AT ALL LIKE WTF.

Um...it wasn't exactly portrayed as a positive thing.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Exterminating all non-Dalek life is NOT OKAY. Can't believe Doctor Who supports it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The flying finger worked surprisingly well for me, honestly. Probably because it's such a perfectly nightmarish image.

Not 'nightmarish' as in 'actually horrifying', of course. I mean 'nightmarish' as in 'your brain's conjured up this weird-rear end image that you're terrified of but will never really be able to convey the horrors inherent in'. It specifically works for me because it kind of doesn't work, and I love that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I feel like it could have been a slimy tendril or something. His actual finger sticking out of the ear looked incredibly pony.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I very much appreciated that I'd never seen anything quite like that before, which doesn't happen all that often these days.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The April Torchwood release is about a haunted relaxation tape.

None of regular cast.

Just a narrator.

SIR MICHAEL PALIN!!!!!!!!!!

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1227623396449456128?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Davros1 posted:

The April Torchwood release is about a haunted relaxation tape.

None of regular cast.

Just a narrator.

SIR MICHAEL PALIN!!!!!!!!!!

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1227623396449456128?s=20

if he doesn't read the whole thing in his Smarmy Host voice I'll be very disappointed