Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

So y’all can track my death spiral

Cruise: 7 Night Western Caribbean & Perfect Day
Ship Name: Symphony Of The Seas
Date of Departure: 14-Mar-2020
Departing From: Miami, Florida

Deadly :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

All of this because those juicy pangolin titties were just too good to pass

This led me to wonder why there's only the one picture of a busty pangolin, which led me down a GIS rabbit hole of waxy nipples and 4-headed echidna penises.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Tei posted:

Rename the ship, so their next visitors dont find is the plague ship

Carnival is way ahead of you:

quote:

On February 10, 2013, Carnival Triumph, with 3,143 passengers aboard, suffered an engine room fire, leaving the ship adrift for four days in the Gulf of Mexico.[35] The engine fire led to a power outage on the ship, which in turn caused raw sewage to back up. The media dubbed the ordeal "The Poop Cruise".[36] The ship was towed to Mobile, Alabama, docking on the evening of February 14.

In subsequent litigation, Carnival documents were uncovered that revealed multiple generator maintenance problems creating a "disaster waiting to happen." In response, Carnival's court filing stated that the contract that passengers agree to when they buy a ticket "makes absolutely no guarantee for safe passage, a seaworthy vessel, adequate and wholesome food, and sanitary and safe living conditions."[39]

Following her $200 million, two-month drydock in Cadiz, Spain in 2019, she was rechristened as Carnival Sunrise.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Saros posted:

They finally named it. Covid 19.

Catchy!

Was DeathWeapon 666 RIP taken?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Burt Sexual posted:

That's a baller ship. I was involved in the christening of the Oasis class which is the same class but your ship is newer than the OG one I worked on.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Burt Sexual posted:

more like Symphony Of Disease

please dont die

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Play posted:

they could put the people who are almost certainly not infected into another boat, then once the correct period of time passes without symptoms let them ashore. Hell, Japan may even have more than one extra boat!

boats that can accommodate 5000 people aren't exactly sitting around

Play posted:

Then they waited a bit too long didn't they. They could've separated those infected and likely to be infected, in fact the earlier they separated folks and the more groups they created would probably mean several of the groups would end up completely disease free, instead of what we have now where it seems pretty clear that basically everyone on that ship is going to get the disease.

Not pretending to be an expert here, just a regular guy. I understand the concept of the quarantine, just wondering if it could've been executed a bit differently.

there's no way to know who was likely to have been exposed. a couple passengers had it, how do you track who they've been in close contact with on a boat where people are in close contact all the time?

and no, it's not clear that everyone on the boat is going to get it. the passengers at least are mostly isolated, and they're taking people that test positive off the boat. the crew are kinda hosed because they don't have individual rooms, they need to do something so they don't end up with a boat with all passengers and no crew.

so it could be better, Hong Kong proactively tested the entire crew of the other cruise boat. Japan should do that.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
China could build a boat for 5000 in 10 days.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Source4Leko posted:

No but you see these people are being inconvenienced. The American government needs to do whatever it can so these white Americans vacations are rescued.

I have a bit of empathy for these people that aren't retired. Given they are Americans, what this means is that being stuck on a cruise ship for too long means they'll be fired, meaning possibly no insurance anymore on top of no income, meaning they're hosed for life from here on out due to a non lethal disease.

America!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zero One posted:

Carnival is way ahead of you:

The generators self combust but the crew is totally trained to deal with epidemics on board

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

China could build a boat for 5000 in 10 days.

at first I was cynical about the quality and safety of a chinese hospital built in 10 days but at least it can't sink to the bottom of the ocean

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The CDCs guidelines to deal with infected passengers aboard quarantined ships include using N95 masks, the absolute buffoons. Just wash youre hands and your'e clear.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

I don't really care for the name COVID-19.

They should ask the pharmaceutical companies for drug names that got rejected by focus groups for "sounding too scary." I'm sure there are some doozies.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thousands of people at the computer, booking a cruise : "what's the worst that could happen, awaiting meaningless certain death in a windowless rooms for weeks on end ? Lol! "

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

The generators self combust but the crew is totally trained to deal with epidemics on board

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BgcMXGdNXo

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Been coughing for a week straight now. I pulled a muscle in my stomach from coughing. If I'm gonna get corona after this I'm gonna kick someone in the balls.

e: Or vagina I don't want to discriminate.

e2: Note that I almost certainly didn't pull a muscle in my vagina. I mean the thing in the end. Thank you!

Nurge fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 11, 2020

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Nurge posted:

Been coughing for a week straight now. I pulled a muscle in my stomach from coughing. If I'm gonna get corona after this I'm gonna kick someone in the balls.

e: Or vagina I don't want to discriminate.

lol same I got sick once last school year, its been like 4 times this year, so im sure ill get this poo poo too

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

lol same I got sick once last school year, its been like 4 times this year, so im sure ill get this poo poo too

same, it's not uncommon for me to get the cold/flu that's around but this winter I've had the cold and the flu one after another and the latter graduated into a sinus infection and bronchitis and none of it was incapacitating but it just dragged on forever. If I'd gotten coronavirus COVID-19 on new year's eve I'd be dead.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Saros posted:

Catchy!

What a bureaucratic, mealy mouthed, weasely, wimpy excuse of an identifying name.

It's the Wuhan Coronavirus.
Wuhan, as in China, where they eat loving bats (which are bugs) and pangolins (lizards).

The best part of all of this, the very best is that the PRC will re-open the wet markets after the world saves them from their latest fuckup.

namaste

e: good luck Mr. and Mrs. Sexual

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
they don't name diseases after where they came from anymore

altogether i don't really like your post at all tbh. it smells of casual racism and looking at your rap sheet my nose is working perfectly

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Saros posted:

Catchy!

Sounds like some scifi movie name. I would have called it the W-virus.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

nvm, dumb joke

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

booooo

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Nucken Futz posted:

Wuhan, as in China, where they eat loving bats (which are bugs) and pangolins (lizards).

pangolins have tits

heres the chinese classification of animals:

Those that belong to the emperor
Embalmed ones
Those that are trained
Suckling pigs
Mermaids (or Sirens)
Fabulous ones
Stray dogs
Those that are included in this classification
Those that tremble as if they were mad
Innumerable ones
Those drawn with a very fine camel hair brush
Et cetera
Those that have just broken a carafe
Those that, at a distance, resemble flies

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mozi posted:

altogether i don't really like your post at all tbh. it smells of casual racism and looking at your rap sheet my nose is working perfectly

the spanish flu didn't come from spain, it's just called that because spain was neutral in ww1 and everyone else was operating under wartime censorship so while the flu devastated the western front and spread from there to everywhere else the news was only allowed to report on it in spain, where the king was sick. what im saying is, better to call it covid 19 than wuhan coronavirus when everyone knows it came from the canadian lab but nobody's allowed to report it

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

The CDCs guidelines to deal with infected passengers aboard quarantined ships include using N95 masks, the absolute buffoons. Just wash youre hands and your'e clear.

I’m sure the hundreds of crew members living 4 to a cabin, sharing bathrooms, and working 13 hour days, 7 days a week for months on end are all following CDC best practices. Good luck making sure your N95 fits while you’re sleeping!

At this point I’m not sure why the original quarantine matters. It’s almost certainly being transmitted on the ship, which should reset the clock. Of course for some reason Japan only wants to test a couple hundred people a day, so at this rate it’ll take weeks before we know what’s really going on.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

it's the crew members who are truly in hell. they're stuck under quarantine, but they're also stuck at work

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

poverty goat posted:

the spanish flu didn't come from spain, it's just called that because spain was neutral in ww1 and everyone else was operating under wartime censorship so while the flu devastated the western front and spread from there to everywhere else the news was only allowed to report on it in spain, where the king was sick. what im saying is, better to call it covid 19 than wuhan coronavirus when everyone knows it came from the canadian lab but nobody's allowed to report it

why did it need to come from a canadian lab when the virus originated in bats in china and spread to pangolins in china before going to humans, again in china

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
the Canadians were working on some kind of man pangolin hybrid and then tried to dispose of the evidence

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

the Canadians were working on some kind of man pangolin hybrid and then tried to dispose of the evidence

:ssh: You weren't supposed to tell them about the mangolin! :argh:

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

McGavin posted:

Dude in a plaid flanell shirt sadly strums a mandolin and whispers to it "Close enough, eh?"

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

McGavin posted:

Mangolini's iron reign was hard but sexy

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

It was just too fuckable, no scientist could get any work done

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Does an AC130 have enough ammo to sink this sucker? Does US have A-10 station in Japan?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

Ah the noble Chinese. Surely they cannot fail, and any mocking of their ways must be racism.

Bats huddle in communal groups of several thousand making them perfect vectors. Eating wild bats is a shockingly bad practice well above and beyond eating any other wild game. Wild game markets are also bad unless your people are so poor they have no other choice.

Maybe I can use some whataboutism to avoid charges of racism? The people of the USA also had to be dragged kicking and screaming into adopting better practices 80 years ago. Its just human nature to resist changes, not because the Chinese are too dumb to know better.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I read about pangolins prepping for a thread and this is maybe some deserved karma on us all, starting with China which makes sense, loving stupid woo woo medicine, for their near extinction

:negative:

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
China enforcing international wildlife trade bans may be the one good thing to come out of this, particularly if it hurts their economy which is looking like it will. But after time who knows, maybe they DGAF again.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

while we're all focused on china NK is shooting for the moon. it could already be worse there than in china and we'd never know

https://www.thedailybeast.com/north-koreas-secret-coronavirus-crisis-is-crazy-scary

quote:

SEOUL–North Korea’s not saying a word about deaths or illnesses from the coronavirus, but the disease reportedly has spread across the border from China and is taking a toll in a country with a dismal health care system and scant resources for fighting off the deadly bug.

One sure sign of the regime’s fears is that it failed to stage a parade in central Pyongyang on Saturday, the 72nd anniversary of the founding of the country’s armed forces. Last year, Kim Jong Un himself presided over the procession that displayed the North’s latest missiles and other fearsome hardware along with goose-stepping soldiers in serried ranks.

This year, nothing about the nation’s nuclear warheads, much less the “new strategic weapon” that Kim has vowed to unveil. Rodong Sinmum, the newspaper of the ruling Workers’ Party, merely cited the armed forces’ supposed success combating “severe and dangerous difficulties”—and said nothing at all about the parade.

But reports have filtered out about Kim’s subjects falling prey to coronavirus despite the country’s decision to seal its 880-mile border with China, most of it along the Yalu River into the Yellow Sea to the west, and its 11-mile border with Russia where the Tumen River flows into the Pacific.

Among the first to report fatalities in North Korea, the Seoul-based website Daily NK said five people had died in the critical northwestern city of Sinuiju, on the Yalu River across road and rail bridges from Dandong, which is the largest Chinese city in the region and a key point for commerce with North Korea despite sanctions.

Daily NK, which relies on sources inside North Korea that send reports via Chinese mobile phone networks to contacts in China, said authorities had “ordered public health officials in Sinuiju to quickly dispose of the bodies and keep the deaths secret from the public.”

The victims had crossed the porous Yalu River border despite orders to cut off traffic from China as the disease radiated from the industrial city of Wuhan where the virus originated in December. As of Sunday, more than 700 people had died inside China.

One of the first patients in North Korea reportedly was hospitalized in Sinuiju “with symptoms similar to a cold and was given fever reducers and antibiotics,” said Daily NK, but the patient died as the fever rose. Two more patients died two days later in another hospital in Sinuiju and another two in a nearby town.

North Korea’s worries about an epidemic are all the more intense because of its shortage of basic medicine and equipment. As cases mount, authorities are working feverishly to contain a disease that, if unchecked, could undermine Kim’s grip over his 25 million people, most of whom live in poverty worsened by hunger.

“Because health conditions and health care in North Korea are so bad,” said Bruce Bennett, long-time analyst at the Rand Corporation, “they cannot allow the replication process to develop without severe intervention”—that is, they have to take drastic steps to keep the virus from spreading fast.

The country has just streamlined a headquarters to coordinate operations, Rodong Sinmun reported, marshaling 30,000 workers to combat the epidemic.

Besides blocking international traffic, the North’s Korean Central News Agency reported the headquarters had ordered tests for everyone entering the capital city of Pyongyang by road and for anyone who had traveled outside the country. Foreigners working in Pyongyang, including those with diplomatic missions or non-governmental organizations, were banned temporarily from venturing outside for shopping.

Even so, with hospitals and clinics largely bereft of needed supplies other than those serving the elite in the capital and elsewhere, a certain desperation was evident in the state media. Rodong Sinmun warned that “the fate” of the country was at stake, according to Yonhap, the South Korean news agency.

“North Korea lacks a vaccine or medical abilities,” said Bennett,”so they have to act by preventing the disease from coming into North Korea.” The point is to “rapidly contain any leakage—exactly what they are trying to do by preventing people-to-people contacts.”

That’s virtually impossible, however, as long as people move illicitly across the border, carrying on low-level commerce in the need to survive a decrepit system. JoongAng Ilbo, a leading South Korean newspaper, cited anonymous source saying that a woman had been diagnosed in the capital and that all those with whom she had had contact had been quarantined.

Unlike in China, North Korea officially has denied any cases while attempting to get people to cooperate in stopping the spread of the disease. JoongAng Ilbo quoted a North Korean health official, Song In Bom, as having called on North Korean TV for “civil awareness” and unity in dealing with the disease while assuring his audience there had so far been no cases.

“I believe absolutely nothing of what I'm hearing from Pyongyang,” said Evans Revere, a former senior U.S. diplomat who specializes in North Korean issues.

“It simply defies credibility that a country with a grossly inadequate public health infrastructure and a malnourished population, a country that depends on China for some 90 percent of its trade, and a country that had until recently opened itself up to a major influx of Chinese tourists in order to earn foreign exchange has avoided having a lot of victims,” said Revere. “The total closure of the border and other measures Pyongyang has taken reflect a real sense of emergency in the North about the threat.”

In fact, he went on, “I can't help but think it may also reflect panic if the number of patients is growing.”

Indeed, “the coronavirus arguably poses a unique threat to North Korea,” wrote Victor Cha and Marie DuMond of the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington in an article in Beyond Parallel, which is published by CSIS.

“The regime’s relative isolation from the international community hinders the widespread penetration of many diseases from abroad,” they wrote, but “the porous nature of the border with China and frequent travel is a clear vector for the virus’ transmission.” Thus, “If there are reports of the virus inside of North Korea, we should expect that the virus would spread rapidly given the state’s inability to contain a pandemic.”

By now, it may be too late for North Korea to stamp out all signs of the disease.

“Several suspected coronavirus infections have occurred in North Korea even though it shut all its borders,” said Chosun Ilbo, South Korea’s biggest-selling newspaper, citing anonymous sources. “The infections most likely spread through porous parts of the border with China that see plenty of smuggling and other clandestine traffic,” said the paper, reporting suspected cases among those “engaged in smuggling between the North and China.”

“Bottom line,” said Steve Tharp, who’s been analyzing North Korean affairs as both an army officer and civilian expert for many years here, “the coronavirus has tightened up sanctions enforcement more than any other measure over the years because the North Koreans are actually self-enforcing the sanctions, against their will, through the tight closing of their borders in order to save the regime from being wiped out by this human pandemic coming.”

North Korean leaders, said Tharp, “understand very well that this pandemic would rip through their population and be much more dangerous in North Korea than other places because of their inadequate medical infrastructure and the low resistance disease of the general population after so many years of surviving under near-starvation conditions.”

quote:

North Korea heralds herbal disinfectant as part of coronavirus containment strategy

SEOUL — North Korea has launched a society-wide effort to contain the new coronavirus, including production of herbal disinfectant from burdock roots.

North Korea’s official Korean Central News Agency said Tuesday that the new virus cannot be contained by health officials alone. It called for “workers at all levels and fields” to join in the nation’s battle against the virus.

One such effort is a “production battle” to make herbal medicine out of burdock roots as an “emergency prevention measure against the novel coronavirus,” North Korea’s state-run outlet Sogwang said Tuesday.

Sogwang said the “burdock antiviral solution” developed in North Korea in 2016 has proved to contain “a variety of virus” in an “highly effective manner” with “little or no side effects.”

Sogwang also carried a photo of the solution, on which its name is written in English and German. The propaganda outlet did not mention if the burdock solution is intended for export to foreign countries.

North Korea has taken extreme measures to seal itself from the outside world following the virus outbreak in neighboring China. It was one of the first countries to completely ban foreign tourists and cut cross-border air and train routes last month.

Over the past few weeks, North Korea’s propaganda machine has been trumpeting the Kim regime’s battle against the virus.

North Korea has not reported a single case of coronavirus infection, although nearly 200 virus cases have been confirmed in the Chinese provinces of Liaoning and Jilin that border the isolated nation.

Daily NK, a Seoul-based news service with informants in North Korea, reported Tuesday that a dozen coronavirus patients have been in quarantine at a hospital in Pyongyang, citing unnamed sources inside the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Medical insurance chat:

I have had a lot of experience with the medical system here in a European capital over the past two years (essentially all levels of severity, many dozens visits), so I feel qualified.

1. You can book appointments for GPs usually on the same day (because there are many in a city). You'll have to wait, but that's just the overrun from prior patients. Say, you have an appointment at 1pm. Then, you'll probably have to wait from 5 to 30 minutes. For my GP next door, it is generally also sufficient to show up without appointment, but then you are served by order of arrival (they have appointment days and non-appointment days). Then you may wait some more, like 1-2 hours. But again, you can always use an online tool to just book an appointment somewhere.
Not ideal.

Perhaps this is better in the USA where they may see you straight away in any case.

Just scheduled a GP and there’s a 28 day wait time here. I asked if that was normal and the clerk said it’s because of a busy flu season. My other doctor took about two weeks but on occasion I’d be able to slip in earlier if I asked about any cancellations. These are both at medical groups affiliated with the large universities in a west coast metro.

:rip: