Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.
As a general rule, attack boons apply to dash attacks. I think Hermes' attack speed boon is an exception, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Affi posted:

I’m guessing dash attack bonuses are independent of attack bonuses? I almost always dash madly when I play so attack bonii should be worthless right?

They stack additively. E.g. +100% Artemis dash, +30% chaos dash boon, +50% attack boon from some god will do 150% damage in regular attack, 280% damage when dashing.

This is pretty nuts with Hestia rail and certain bow upgrades.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Captain Lavender posted:

Oof, my game just crashed on my first 11 heat run right as I was about to kill Theseus. I had like 1700 gold from a chaos boon too. When I loaded, it had me back in the House of Hades.

Ouch. I thought it autosaved at every door. I guess not so much.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

Ouch. I thought it autosaved at every door. I guess not so much.

I don't understand the games saving options at all. Sometimes when I hit start I can quit and sometimes I can only give up. Seems completely arbitrary.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

BobTheJanitor posted:

Also it's usually best to prioritize all the other things he throws out before attacking him again, unless he's on his last sliver of health. Letting a bunch of skulls or jars or summons stack up will get you overwhelmed quickly. Just try to keep an eye on daddy while you're dealing with everything else, or you will get a spear up the backside for your trouble.
You don't need to clear all the jars; you just need to prioritize making a safe spot so that when he inevitably follows up with the spinning lasers or a spin attack you have somewhere to go.

The summon phase of the fight might actually be the hardest part, since he can summon a bunch of Elysians who run around doing the usual Elysian bullshit.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Does dodge chance stack additively? :getin:

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

bamhand posted:

I don't understand the games saving options at all. Sometimes when I hit start I can quit and sometimes I can only give up. Seems completely arbitrary.

It saves when you clear a room and when you transition.

The save is invalidated when you gain information or take a hit. Things like buying a boon count as gaining information. I don’t know why it doesn’t just save the game again. Fishing also invalidates, I think.

If your save is invalid you have the “Give up” option, which puts you back at the house of hades in the state you were in when you began this escape attempt (all gems, nectar, shadow, and keys from the run are lost). Your next escape attempt will re-use the same seed for room rewards and gods.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Incoherence posted:

You don't need to clear all the jars; you just need to prioritize making a safe spot so that when he inevitably follows up with the spinning lasers or a spin attack you have somewhere to go.

The summon phase of the fight might actually be the hardest part, since he can summon a bunch of Elysians who run around doing the usual Elysian bullshit.

I agree, the first-phase is actually the hardest because getting a bunch of flaming armored wheel barrows and armored-shieldbearers just absolutely loving sucks. Pretty much any elysium summon takes forever to kill and then he just ends up summoning more shortly after anyways so it feels almost futile to bother. I try to dodge and power through that phase ASAP once the summoning starts because gently caress that. the second phase is a lot more manageable imo.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Captain Lavender posted:

You have to sacrifice a boon at the end of each area, but I've found, I almost always have a boon that isn't critical, and I get paid to give it up.

Oh poo poo, that punishment just forces you to sell a boon? That’s barely a hassle. Definitely going to be my next choice to crank up Heat

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Incoherence posted:

Yea, having a really strong call is a huge help on the Hades fight purely because of the summons. Being able to drop a Zeus or Poseidon call and instantly kill all the summons completely changes the difficulty of the first phase.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I hope they'll figure out a way to keep Zagreus's comically contrived post-ending demises around once the game has a proper epilogue. That Looney Tunes stuff just is too amusing to patch out and forget about. :allears:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Impermanent posted:

i literally just scan this thread every couple months waiting for people to say "glad they fixed the theseus and asterius fight" because its not even challenging its just boring as gently caress and gates the interesting new content.

The Thesus and Asterius fight is a lot of fun, I don't know whether that's different from 3 months ago or whatever because I wasn't playing back then :shrug:

The_White_Crane posted:

I cannot loving beat the last boss.
I can make it to him reasonably reliably now, but I feel like I'm just ramming my face against a brick wall?
My last run I had an extremely good Spear/Zeus/Ares build which let me massacre my way through the rest of the game with absolute ease, I went into the fight with 250 health, all three uses of Death Defiance and Skelly's Tooth, and I barely got him to the second phase before I'd used them all.
Does anyone have any advice? Because as it is, I just feel like I constantly get hit by his relentless assault of giant AOE attacks which do massive damage, and I don't feel like I'm getting any better at this fight. It's really sapping my desire to play at this point.

It's just a matter of practice, everything that he does can be dodged or mitigated but you have to be on the lookout for his tells. Learning those tells is hard because you only get to challenge him after completing an entire run.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

kaschei posted:

It saves when you clear a room and when you transition.

The save is invalidated when you gain information or take a hit. Things like buying a boon count as gaining information. I don’t know why it doesn’t just save the game again. Fishing also invalidates, I think.

If your save is invalid you have the “Give up” option, which puts you back at the house of hades in the state you were in when you began this escape attempt (all gems, nectar, shadow, and keys from the run are lost). Your next escape attempt will re-use the same seed for room rewards and gods.

Wow, if this had been designed intentionally to punish players for crashes, it couldn't have been done better. Why in the world wouldn't it just revert to the last door?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nevvy Z posted:

Does dodge chance stack additively? :getin:

Yes.

That said I don't think there's many opportunities to get Dodge. There's up to +30% from Hermes, which I think is ineligible for poms. The feather keepsake gives +1.2% per encounter cleared fast enough, so that's maybe another +35%? It doesn't give you benefits in non-encounter chambers like fountain rooms or stairways

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BobTheJanitor posted:

Wow, if this had been designed intentionally to punish players for crashes, it couldn't have been done better. Why in the world wouldn't it just revert to the last door?

It's to prevent save-scumming. A lot of players would probably sit there Alt+F4ing to repeat the last boss encounter for instance

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
My least favorite thing about 'Give Up' is that there's no 'Surrender' option. I've been in the situation where I know my build sucks, fighting Hades is going to be a chore, I'd rather just die and and restart rather than trying to beat him. But because Give Up keeps the same seed, you can't use that. Instead, you have to sit there and let enemies kill you through your 3 Death Defiances. :sigh:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

It's to prevent save-scumming. A lot of players would probably sit there Alt+F4ing to repeat the last boss encounter for instance

Balancing around how someone might cheat at a game is never a good idea. Determined cheaters are going to back up the save externally if they really want to repeat the fight over and over. Or just use cheatengine and unlock everything or make their weapons hit for 1000 damage per swing or something. I'd bet that anti-cheat measure ends up screwing over way more players just playing normally than it will ever prevent those attempting save-scumming.

And aside from that, it's a single player game, so your actions won't affect anyone else. Who cares if someone wants to repeat rooms over and over?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sure but kind of like how a lock on your front door won't stop a determined burglar, it's still an effective preventative measure a lot of the time. Someone who might normally save scum a fight may not be willing to go through the extra effort of using cheat engine, backing up their save, etc. Preventative measures don't have to be perfect to be effective

I think the game has only ever crashed on me once, and in Early Access no less, so I haven't personally been impacted by this. And I don't think there's any meaningful method for measuring the number of times this design prevents save-scumming vs causes someone to lose progress due to a game crash.

I don't know what their justification is for having anti-cheat measures in a singleplayer game, but many players attach sometimes bizarre levels of significance to achieving something "legitimately"; maybe it's as simple as trying to appease those emotions. It's not that uncommon for developers to want to do that

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I seldom bother clearing the skulls in the final boss fight. They take a good few hits to kill and dashing through the wave isn’t that hard. Also if they’re on the far side of the room they’ll be out of range anyway. I definitely prioritise killing the adds though

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah, it's this. Even more so to prevent you from peeking at boons and hammers though. It used to just revert to the last room with any mid-game exit, but they changed it to differentiate between Quit and Give Up in an update. I know this because I used to do it sometimes. It's still useful to do to some degree in the early rooms. A couple of times when I've been doing a higher heat run, I ran through the first few rooms to see what kind of stuff was going to pop up and then reloaded and planned my build accordingly. Honestly, what they've got now is a big improvement. I know it's single player and all, but there are lots of people who will ruin their own fun if given half the chance. That goes for me too sometimes if I'm being honest.

QuarkJets posted:

The Thesus and Asterius fight is a lot of fun, I don't know whether that's different from 3 months ago or whatever because I wasn't playing back then :shrug:

I also really like this fight. I'm pretty happy with where Elysium is at in general too, especially since they reduced the number of shield carriers. I feel like people get frustrated there because that whole level is really the most major test of your build. By the time you reach Styx, you pretty much always have something workable for boons, so it seems comparatively easier.

Wafflecopper posted:

I seldom bother clearing the skulls in the final boss fight. They take a good few hits to kill and dashing through the wave isn’t that hard. Also if they’re on the far side of the room they’ll be out of range anyway. I definitely prioritise killing the adds though

You're right that they aren't usually that hard to avoid, but they can be good to kill anyway sometimes with the right build because they count as an enemy kill. That means if you have the boon that gives 200% on next strike after a kill or that marks a nearby mob for increased chance of crit damage, popping a skull will trigger it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
You can still save-scum by the give up option, and it's even less fun because you can't avoid it really. Each run is seeded. If you start a run with a weapon and a god trinket, and the first boon gives you a rare attack bonus, epic special bonus, and epic cast, no matter when you give up you'll always get those same levels and variety of choices, no matter what weapon and trinket you start with.

Maybe there's a way to give up and generate a new seed, but I haven't experimented.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
Yeah, that's what I was saying. The way you give up and generate a new seed is you go stand in lava or something like that. There's no quit from the menu that gives you a new seed. I'm wondering if they're going to change that when they get out of Early Access. I'm guessing that it's useful to have forced seeds for experimentation and balancing purposes. Doesn't seem like there's much benefit when the game is "done" though.

I think it's usually worth finishing a run up, even if it isn't going to plan. Sometimes I stumble on a nasty boon combo I wouldn't have tried otherwise. I find that being forced away from my preferred or optimized play-style have led to noticeable skill improvements too. It also feels great to get a skin-of-the-teeth clear with a non-optimal build.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

It feels really, really bad to stumble at the last hurdle on a well built run though :(

I had 1004 gold leaving Tartarus, got all the status effects in the world (Hangover on attack, Weak on special, cast was Demeter's Icy Trippy Shot doing 500 damage a pop), weak gives more Hangover stacks and trippy hangover gives bonus damage.

Died because I'm just not used to the 20% speed boost when dodging skulls and I hesitated to use Poseidon Aid to get behind a rock when he fired his lasers (I thought I was almost definitely behind it and it makes you move funny so I was more worried about running out in its effects). And because no Defiance charges were for sale in Styx.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Anyone have tips on the Hydra fight? I've made it to the Hydra a few runs in a row now, but am having trouble beating it. Specifically, I'm having trouble during the additional heads phases. There's too much stuff flying around combined with too many 'don't walk here' areas making it too hard to both avoid and put out damage at the same time and eventually I lose the war of attrition in the second additional heads phase.

I feel like maybe I need to focus more on dodging and less on doing damage and taking pot shot when I can, but wondering if there's anything big I missing or if it's just about practice.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PotatoManJack posted:

Anyone have tips on the Hydra fight? I've made it to the Hydra a few runs in a row now, but am having trouble beating it. Specifically, I'm having trouble during the additional heads phases. There's too much stuff flying around combined with too many 'don't walk here' areas making it too hard to both avoid and put out damage at the same time and eventually I lose the war of attrition in the second additional heads phase.

I feel like maybe I need to focus more on dodging and less on doing damage and taking pot shot when I can, but wondering if there's anything big I missing or if it's just about practice.

Nope you've got the gist of it, I try to clear the first hydra I see as fast as possible just to create space and then focus on dodging. Once you realize that the hydra heads have a very predictable alternating pattern then the fight becomes a lot easier, but the heads aren't synchronized so you still need to watch your surroundings

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

On the final multi-head part, if I'm feeling pressed, I will sometimes just go in a circuit, poking each head and moving on. Ideally, I'd stick to one til it's dead, but rotating when things are rough helps both to avoid dodging backwards into something, and makes the big head chase you. It usually gives me some breathing room, and once one or two are dead, I can focus on them individually again.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

PotatoManJack posted:

Kill the green heads first, they make more enemies. For the most part, you just need to learn their patterns, so you know when to fall back, when to dodge sideways vs when to dodge backwards, etc.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

QuarkJets posted:

Nope you've got the gist of it, I try to clear the first hydra I see as fast as possible just to create space and then focus on dodging. <SNIP>
That's what I do too. Kill a head fast. If possible, get the neighbor next. That gives you some space to work from. Also, for those who are newer and struggling with the hydra, consider taking god keepsakes for one or both rounds instead of health or the coin purse. At least the first time. It's been said before but... The bosses in this game are all damage sponges to one degree or another, more so from Asphodel onward. Prioritize getting *some* kind of high damage attack option going as soon as possible and you won't have too much trouble. Everything in the game is easier and more fun when you're hitting like a truck. Keepsakes that force boons can help with getting you there a lot. Both for the boon itself and also for the increased likelihood of it being rare or better. For a specific recommendation, try to get Athena on your dash and Artemis on your most powerful attack. These two things will solve many problems in completely opposite ways.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I don't think I could have lost this run, even if I tried. Everything just straight up melted asap (also noted that I had fully loaded, too).

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Thanks for the advice everyone.
I guess I'll just keep plugging away. :sigh:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I think I won the game for the first time on like my 40th run? Now I'm pretty consistent.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I think my run count is close to 60 and I have something like 7 wins. Obviously I'm bad at video games, but the game really pushes you to try new combinations of boons and hammers and a lot of those aren't really good. Once I started explicitly trying for effective builds things started gling a lot smoother. Also the sheer momentum of stats and leveled trinkets.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

One thing that really upped my game was clearing the prophecy for each Pact of Punishment option, and clear with each weapon, as early as possible, while it was still possible to do the tougher ones like Budget Cuts and Tight Deadline at low-ish heat.

The bonus 20 Blood makes a big difference for maxing out a few weapons so you can play at a higher level, and it's less of a handicap to try and get all the hammer and boon options.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

For the Hydra I tend to split the arena into two halves when the extra heads come out, and spend around 20 seconds or so just in one half dodging and getting hits in on the nearest heads whenever I can, and then when it starts to get too hectic I dash over into the other half of the arena where there's space, because they haven't been focussing their fire there, and do the same. The mobs travel slowly enough that I can see them coming across the screen and get them if I need to, or simply dash back over to the other now-clear half again if the "don't walk here" patches are starting to pile up and the mobs are starting to surround me.

Always be dodging, but only dodge into the specific half of the screen you're in until it's time to move over. The strat works well enough that I rarely lose a life to that fight now.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
If I haven't cleared the final boss at 0 heat and then I clear it at 1 heat do I get double bounties for the last boss? WIll it even let me go into 1 heat if I haven't? I need so many diamonds rn

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

If I haven't cleared the final boss at 0 heat and then I clear it at 1 heat do I get double bounties for the last boss? WIll it even let me go into 1 heat if I haven't? I need so many diamonds rn
When the pact is unlocked you can add as many punishments as you like. Clearing with any sufficient amount of heat only increases the heat requirement for new bounties by 1. Clearing with no more heat than a previous clear awards shadow instead of a bounty.

So if you clear with, say, sword at 0 heat first, then clear the rest of the weapons at two heat, then die in Asphodel with sword at five heat: you need 1 heat to get bounties for all weapons, but there’s no amount of heat that will get you Titan Blood for beating the furies with the sword (previously claimed bounties award shadow instead).

There are a couple quests that award diamonds, try talking up Skelly.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

if your heat level equal to or higher than the prize threshold, you will be rewarded the prizes for that threshold and no others

for example, i just cleared a 16-heat run when my prize threshold was 4 heat. i got the 4 heat prizes, and the threshold was then set to 5 heat

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Nevvy Z posted:

You don't get double bonuses, but you can go into 1+ heat even if you haven't cleared at 0 heat for that weapon, and it will reset the first 3 bosses bounty rewards.

You won't be able to go on to the next heat to reset the first acts' rewards, unless you clear the last boss. If you play at zero heat, and do clear the final boss for the first time, you get the Titan Blood even if you already beat it at some level of heat.

TLDR: Each heat level, including 0, for each weapon is a seperate rewards pool. You can't get any of the rewards for the next heat level until you finish the previous heat in full, except for the 0 heat rewards.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The pact screen also makes it really obvious. It shows the blood/diamonds/ambrosia/blood again rewards spread out with those already completed at that heat with that weapon checked off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Or to put it another way, you can't lose out on blood rewards by overheating, you're just making it harder on yourself when you have more heat than what is required on the pact screen.