Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
here's a spicy sonic take for y'all: as a kid my favorite game was 3d blast, because i was too bad to beat any of the other games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Playing Final Fantasy 12 for the first time. I like it, but.. is this just Star Wars? It sure seems like Star Wars!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Its very cool that Yakuza games let you walk around in first person

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Without stopping to think about it immediate answers only how many Final Fantasies are about a rebellion against an evil empire

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Baller Time posted:

Playing Final Fantasy 12 for the first time. I like it, but.. is this just Star Wars? It sure seems like Star Wars!

It absolutely is Star Wars, except Chewbacca is bae

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Without stopping to think about it immediate answers only how many Final Fantasies are about a rebellion against an evil empire

Only like.... 3 of them, I think?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'll say 7, but I think it depends on how loosely you define evil empire

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MMF Freeway posted:

Any capitalist society counts.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chev posted:

That's five years after Calvin & Hobbes, yet that was still defining enough to matter for your choice of avatar.

.....lmao wtf?

The point was not "everything from the past is irrelevant" if you like a book from 200 years ago that's fine

The point of the context of that post was talking about the reality of pc gaming, so hardware having been available for the last 20 years that solves the issue is relevant

The gently caress are you even thinking you're saying here????

"Shakespeare is still good ergo 8kB RAM should be enough" something like that??? Lmao. Jeeze dude you really got me with that one!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 11, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
By a the usual definition I see of "empire" (a state that structures itself as a central homeland extracting resources and wealth from disenfranchised provinces), it's very difficult to say whether or not most states in final fantasies are empires, because we don't get the geopolitical background necessary to make that judgment

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

do religious institutions count? if so then all of them except for maybe most of 11

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the evil empire is squaresoft and you defeat them by unplugging the console while it's saving

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Baller Time posted:

i don't know how to break this to you but star wars doesn't have a very unique plot

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
anyways, of the ones I've played, only 2 and 6 are explicitly about resisting imperial ambitions. The villains in 7 defy easy classification because they're some kind of hybrid of a state and a corporation but I wouldn't die on the hill of saying they aren't imperial. Most of the other ones I've played, the enemy isn't a state but to be fair I have no idea what the story of 13 is despite having played it to completion

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 11, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

cheetah7071 posted:

anyways, of the ones I've played, only 2 and 6 are explicitly about resisting imperial ambitions. The villains in 7 defy easy classification because they're some kind of hybrid of a state and a corporation but I wouldn't die on the hill of saying they aren't imperial. Most of the other ones I've played, the enemy isn't a state but to be fair I have no diea what the story of 13 is despite having played it to completion

The villains in 13 are the Pope and God

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

cheetah7071 posted:

anyways, of the ones I've played, only 2 and 6 are explicitly about resisting imperial ambitions. The villains in 7 defy easy classification because they're some kind of hybrid of a state and a corporation but I wouldn't die on the hill of saying they aren't imperial. Most of the other ones I've played, the enemy isn't a state but to be fair I have no diea what the story of 13 is despite having played it to completion

Yeah, plus another complication is how much of the story centers around the rebellion. In FF4 I'd say Baron counts as an evil empire, and you certainly stand against them, but then the plot goes elsewhere so idk

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

precision posted:

The villains in 13 are the Pope and God

Backed by the state.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my final fantasies usually involve being mangled by some form of industrial equipment, or a really cool explosion

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Going through the list, and remembering that the "rebellion against empire" is a good correlate for quality:

Operating under the definitions that "empire" involves historical or present conquest and a coherent rebellion includes resistance to the former with at least one major plot-relevant character involved

1. No empire or rebellion
2. Both empire and rebellion
3. No empire or rebellion
4. Empire, no coherent rebellion
5. No empire or rebellion
6. Both empire and rebellion
7. Both empire (Shinra) and rebellion
Tactics: Unclear (closer to civil war)
8. Both empire and rebellion (Timber counts!)
9. Empire, no coherent rebellion
10. No empire or rebellion
11. Empire, no coherent rebellion
12. Both empire and rebellion
13. Both empire (close enough) and rebellion
14. :yeah:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjOlEQq4xhk
15. Empire, no coherent rebellion

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 11, 2020

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Well I guessed right then, where's my prize?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Looks like the only one we're missing is rebellion but no empire, someone get on that

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Baller Time posted:

To this day I still don't see the Star Wars connection.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

15. no coherent

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

15 owns love to t ake a road trip with my 4 beautiful lads

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I said come in! posted:

At the very least, you don't see how Balthier and Fran are Han and Chewie?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

UBISoft announced a new expansion for Division 2. I completely forgot this game existed, and I even own it. There was nothing really that wrong with it, I mean it was no Anthem, but its playerbase dropped off extremely fast and the game has been dead since about a month after release.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

But I just read on Kotaku today that FF2 is the Star Wars one. Who do I believe?

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Also some of the flying ships in the intro looked very prequel inspired!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

I said come in! posted:

the music and shot composition play a part. The spawling shot when you first get to arcadia could have come straight from one of the prequels

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i'm cautiously hyped for the new matsuno content in ff14 coming up, the ivalice raids end in a big cliffhanger where fran from ff12 implies that you're gonna meet up with ashe and kick off the revolution. and now this new thing follows on directly from it and is explicitly about going and helping the hrothgar (aka ronso) rebel against the empire. glad they are paying matsuno to write ff fanfics

Weedle
May 31, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

the music and shot composition play a part. The spawling shot when you first get to arcadia could have come straight from one of the prequels

The prequels wish they looked as good as a PS2 game

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Weedle posted:

But I just read on Kotaku today that FF2 is the Star Wars one. Who do I believe?
2 isnt even the one where biggs and wedge show up

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

homeless snail posted:

i'm cautiously hyped for the new matsuno content in ff14 coming up, the ivalice raids end in a big cliffhanger where fran from ff12 implies that you're gonna meet up with ashe and kick off the revolution. and now this new thing follows on directly from it and is explicitly about going and helping the hrothgar (aka ronso) rebel against the empire. glad they are paying matsuno to write ff fanfics

An FF14 x FF12 crossover might be enough to get me to play again. I really liked the sidequests from FF15 where FF14 characters showed up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Back in the 90s~

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
In conclusion, FF12 is the best Star Wars rpg, due to the lack of the force and it's dumb light/dark side stuff.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

In FFXIV catboys are popular but not catmen

poor kimahri

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wish sonic died

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

I wish sonic died

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Is final fantasy 12 any good? I liked what I played of xenoblade on the Wii and it seems to have the same combat system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Convex posted:

Is final fantasy 12 any good? I liked what I played of xenoblade on the Wii and it seems to have the same combat system.

It's bad. You just set up your gambits and then try not to fall asleep as the game plays itself for 95% of the encounters. The Xenoblade combat system was way more involved.