Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

I hear it chaffs the nips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

Based on the reports coming from the ground/behind the great firewall, the official number is basically meaningless at this point. The official number going down probably means that they're running out of personnel to run the tests more than anything else. (The casualty rates amongst medical workers is apparently very high.)

Here are some of the better videos that have leaked out from behind the great firewall: (I've been plugged into Chinese social media deeply enough that I've watched these videos and many like them emerge and then start to be scrubbed, these are the best versions of these videos that I could find still operating at the moment.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksuThUZQLnc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AI3R41dGnU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX9_Ty0xuX4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1wQmvvzyG4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCEFzL66oKg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFZfzh0zvqY

Fake edit: I know I said I was done with this silly website but this particular topic drew me back in, as I believe that a significant global pandemic is extremely likely at this point in time and even (setting aside the disease itself) the social/economic disruption of this event is going to have an impact on pretty much everyone's life.

I’m late to this but you can gently caress off from here and never ever come back you dumb loving moron. “Yo guys, I don’t speak English but I’m hella plugged in to US Twitter! And wait till you see these random YouTube videos. And this infowars article seems important.” Shut the gently caress up forever you cretin.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

lmbo pj flouncing into a thread and immediately making authoritative pronouncements on a subject she knows nothing about, based on absolutely no expertise or rigorous study?! say it ain’t so!!!

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Reports coming in that wuflu is killing every single person who makes a racist post in a China thread

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

careful if you bully pj too much she'll get her cultists to complain to the manager

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Haven't seen this in this thread,

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911826&pagenumber=102#post502427642

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

succ posted:

Nobody knows what the gently caress is going on.

I would imagine we aren't any more than a month away from the CDC and WHO having to come out and explain to the world's public that the situation is actually much much worse than they've been led to believe.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Well since Trump said it will peter out in April, I have stocked up for 2 months of corn beef and favored sparkling water.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

New cases from Hubei continuing to drop, but new deaths holding steady for now: https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1227355340238446592

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

Am I wrong in thinking there is going to be some sort of political fallout if this explodes in other countries after weeks of the Chinese Goverment telling everyone not to worry about this/fiddling with the data?

probably! I doubt any data being hosed with is affecting the way other countries are responding. and I don’t know why you think they are telling everyone not to worry I mean do you think they need to be issuing press releases saying “WE’RE ALL GOING TO DIE” or something?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Telsa Cola posted:

Am I wrong in thinking there is going to be some sort of political fallout if this explodes in other countries after weeks of the Chinese Goverment telling everyone not to worry about this/fiddling with the data?

Prester Jane posted:

I would imagine we aren't any more than a month away from the CDC and WHO having to come out and explain to the world's public that the situation is actually much much worse than they've been led to believe.

China shut down like their entire economy over this, most major cities, global standing be damned -- what more do you want from them? Honestly, what?

Arming the public with slightly different information would have absolutely miniscule effect compared to that, so who gives a poo poo?

And they even threw number under the bus, which is all that any of us want. It'd be nice if someone developed a cure next to save as many people as possible but I'm pretty happy with the state response so far given the above.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Very good title op

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Quit posting Chinese reported numbers. They are obviously faked.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dumb Lowtax posted:

China shut down like their entire economy over this, most major cities, global standing be damned -- what more do you want from them? Honestly, what?

At this point China should be calling in international support because Wuhan needs much more medical personnel and supplies than they have on hand. The "quarantine"/"mold case" facilities have no real medical equipment and cannot offer much beyond a bed with an electric blanket- because they don't have the resources for anything else. It's basically impossible to avoid becoming infected if you're sent to one of the quarantine centers, meaning that it's effectively impossible to leave the quarantine center until you've survived the virus. A few days from now there are going to be many deaths in those quarantine centers- if they had called in international support already they would not need to be relying on such a crude solution.

quote:

Arming the public with slightly different information would have absolutely miniscule effect compared to that, so who gives a poo poo?

And they even threw number under the bus, which is all that any of us want. It'd be nice if someone developed a cure next to save as many people as possible but I'm pretty happy with the state response so far given the above.

At this point the public needs to learn the truth because it's going to find out one way or another eventually, and I need to learn the truth in the way that does the least damage to the credibility of our institutions, because the credibility of our institutions is going to be one of the most important tools the world has in combating this epidemic.

Imo there would be some genuine gain if it could be acknowledged that a very large portion of China's economy isn't coming back online anytime soon, so that that way people could begin preparing alternative solutions and start trying to patch up the immense hole in the global logistics network that China's prolonged absence is going to create.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 11, 2020

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

Prester Jane posted:

guess what I'm saying is I'm judging a videos accuracy and authenticity by the lengths to which the Chinese government has gone to suppress the particular video and the individuals involved in it, all of the videos I posted (for one reason or another) meet that criteria.

seems like a bad test to me! fake videos probably get censored very aggressively. why wouldn't they?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Pizza Segregationist posted:

seems like a bad test to me! fake videos probably get censored very aggressively. why wouldn't they?

I have been watching events play out in real time on the internet since there's been an internet capable of allowing such a thing. I've seen all kinds and manners of fake videos over the years- they always accompany a major event like this. I've never seen anything like what I'm seeing week out from behind the great firewall.

There are hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of videos that paint a picture that clearly portrays that the situation in Wuhan is much worse than is being admitted to, and there are a number of Chinese citizen journalists to release some very long and very detailed videos showing conditions at the hospitals or in other areas of Wuhan, and at one point it was possible to see these individuals live streaming themselves being arrested, but almost all of their videos are gone now and you can generally only find bits and pieces other videos still existing and little collages here and there.

Well they're absolutely are fake videos out there like that Infamous box one, the sheer staggering quantity of videos all showing the exact same state of affairs would be basically impossible to replicate on a scale that it's occurring. You would need a budget of at least tens of millions of dollars and at least a hundred mandarin-speaking actors- there is some real poo poo going down in Wuhan and the world isn't (yet) being told the truth about it.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 11, 2020

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

suspected case in my city here in UK, oh boy! 😱

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

guys there isn't really a bioweapons lab in wuhan is there, please tell me that's bullshit

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

gh0stpinballa posted:

guys there isn't really a bioweapons lab in wuhan is there, please tell me that's bullshit

China has one level four biologic super lab, located in Wuhan approximately 20 miles from the site of the first outbreak. Based on articles that have been published about this lab in the past it does actively study animal coronaviruses.

I mention this because the conspiracy theory Community is going absolutely batshit with this information+ there are already people like Steve Bannon loudly pushing the idea that it's an accidental release of a bioweapon.

I personally don't think it's an accidental release of an organism that was under study- but at some point Fox News is probably gonna go with that angle.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

gh0stpinballa posted:

nothing that's happened so far suggests this is an escaped bioweapon

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

okay, cheers guys.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's a bioweapon with Chinese characteristics.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Prester Jane posted:

At this point China should be calling in international support because Wuhan needs much more medical personnel and supplies than they have on hand. The "quarantine"/"mold case" facilities have no real medical equipment and cannot offer much beyond a bed with an electric blanket- because they don't have the resources for anything else. It's basically impossible to avoid becoming infected if you're sent to one of the quarantine centers, meaning that it's effectively impossible to leave the quarantine center until you've survived the virus. A few days from now there are going to be many deaths in those quarantine centers- if they had called in international support already they would not need to be relying on such a crude solution.

Well they've definitely been getting and accepting international aid because one of the things the mandarin language forums made fun of this week was that all the countries announced their relief packages in units of tons, except for Russia which announced theirs in units of meters cubed for some strange reason... And their figure for meters cubed exactly matches the published volume of the inside of the supplies plane that they packed up and sent to China lol

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Imo the WHO is starting to set the groundwork for telling the global public that the true scale of the outbreak is at least an order of magnitude larger than they have been lead to believe.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1227370479155138561?s=19

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1227379147644788737

:ironicat:

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Holy shitballs

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Well they've definitely been getting and accepting international aid because one of the things the mandarin language forums made fun of this week was that all the countries announced their relief packages in units of tons, except for Russia which announced theirs in units of meters cubed for some strange reason... And their figure for meters cubed exactly matches the published volume of the inside of the supplies plane that they packed up and sent to China lol

They aren't yet getting international aide anywhere near the scale that they need to though.

China has over 60 million people that it has to keep confined and provided for, no individual country has that kind of logistics network- and even if they did it coul DC not bs maintained eith most of the factories sitting empty.

The CCP are setting themselves up for a massive humanitarian crisis because the logistics network is already starting to lose ground and food lines are forming, increasing people's exposure and therefore the spread of the virus.

Keeping well fed people confined to a small space is one thing, keeping hungry people confined to a small space is quite another.

On Chinese social media there are widespread reports of medical personnel becoming infected and dying.

Their have also been a number of videos of medical personnel having a (public) complete psychological breakdown after they had been diagnosed.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 12, 2020

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
The Hubei report for today included the line “ here were 11,295 suspected cases, 6,756 were excluded on the day; 4890 new clinically diagnosed cases were added."

Looks like the 5000 number is the positive labs ones but not showing severe symptoms.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Prester Jane posted:

On Chinese social media there are widespread reports of medical personnel becoming infected and dying.

Their have also been a number of videos of medical personnel having a (public) complete psychological breakdown after they had been diagnosed.

The chinese doctors/nurses are also reduced to extremes such as wearing diapers to work since there's not time for bathroom breaks.

Meanwhile the Chinese government does Soviet style spin on how everything is in control.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

etalian posted:

The chinese doctors/nurses are also reduced to extremes such as wearing diapers to work since there's not time for bathroom breaks.

Meanwhile the Chinese government does Soviet style spin on how everything is in control.

I think the reasoning for the diaper is that going to bathroom break the seal of the full body suit.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sum posted:

WHO doesn't like naming diseases after places, animals or ethnic groups to avoid stigma. This leads to stupid names like "coronavirus disease 2019" but its better than calling it the Celestial Wuhan Bat Flu which everyone else is doing

when did they adopt that stance? i'm looking at ebola and bird flu and west nile virus and thinking you got fooled

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

careful if you bully pj too much she'll get her cultists to complain to the manager

Wha?? NAY!!!

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

succ posted:

Quit posting Chinese reported numbers. They are obviously faked.

*posts arabic numerals*

*claims they are chinese*

*illuminati*

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think the reasoning for the diaper is that going to bathroom break the seal of the full body suit.

And because of that you have to re scrub/reclean yourself from scratch and consume a whole new set of protective gear, and by all accounts they are running low on protective gear and have barely enough for the medical staff.

In addition to video circulating around Chinese social media there's also a variety of images. There are a large number of images that show the face and hand of nurses and Wuhan, and their faces have welts and rashes and in some cases have bleeding welts from having worn masks/protective suits for so long, and their hands have been exposed to disinfectant so often that they look like they've been sitting in water for 6 or 7 hours.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1227388316842065921

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they should just all get it and get the ordeal over with asap. if a few die at least they arent stuck on a boat anymore

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
That is such a large number. I'd guess at least two thousand of them are going to die, at minimum.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1227357184012570625

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Real hurthling! posted:

when did they adopt that stance? i'm looking at ebola and bird flu and west nile virus and thinking you got fooled

After MERS I guess there was some backlash from the region for its name it looks like.

Here’s the new WHO guideline (2015)

“WHO, in consultation and collaboration with the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), has identified best practices for the naming of new human diseases, with the aim to minimize unnecessary negative impact of disease names on trade, travel, tourism or animal welfare, and avoid causing offence to any cultural, social, national, regional, professional or ethnic groups.”

https://www.who.int/topics/infectious_diseases/naming-new-diseases/en/

And some general info on naming for this new virus before from a few weeks ago
https://www.statnews.com/2020/01/23/its-been-sequenced-its-spread-across-borders-now-the-new-pneumonia-causing-virus-needs-a-name/

Turtle Watch fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 12, 2020

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
From what I could tell this is from a fairly well-regarded southeast Asia English language News Network.

Watch this report.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c_SRviE1sg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

That news report is an assault on the senses. It's got the style of like if the young turks hosed fox news