Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

City-State of the Invincible Overlord was a hugely influential product. The Wilderlands of High Fantasy was one of the first "campaign settings," and the eponymous book was released before World of Greyhawk and a decade before the Forgotten Realms Campaign Set.

For a long time now they mostly license their IP to other people to publish.

drat. Possibly the best (as opposed to the oldest) work Judge's Guild ever did and two of the best D&D modules ever, were Dark Tower and Caverns of Thracia by Jennell Jacquays. She is decidedly not a Nazi, so I checked her Facebook. She has a statement - and apparently it's all work for hire

Jennell's Facebook posted:

I'm aware of the drama shitstorm surrounding Judges Guild right now.

Judges Guild still owns the rights to all the work-for-hire projects that I created for them as an employee in 1978-1979 and the rights to The Dungeoneer, my D&D fan magazine. That includes Dark Tower for AD&D, Caverns of Thracia, the Book of Treasure Maps, Legendary Duck Tower and Other Tales, The Hellpits of Nightfang, and The Dungeoneer Adventuresome Compendium.

Many of those products are still available in various forms today, and I know they are still popular with DMs and players. I don't receive any form of compensation from their sale or licensing. If you choose not to buy recently reprinted copies or PDF versions of those products, I won't be injured by your decision.

Bob jr. returned the rights to my content in The Dungeoneer to me several years back. I am currently developing new products based on that content. They are being produced under my own brand, Fifth Wall Games & Miniatures.

I am currently involved in a project with a Judges Guild licensee that has been in development for several years now. Not sure what it's fate will be, but it deals with the history and legacy of JG, not its current handlers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

TSR was also slow to realize that there was an audience for the RPG hobby beyond people who quibble over uniforms and rank insignia of the Napoleonic wars.
I'd recommend Playing At the World to anyone who's interested in that history - it's fascinating how D&D more or less by accident got noticed by the SF/fantasy fandom at the time, whose influence as felt via fanzines of the era caused a significant shift in the direction of the game's evolution and arguably paved the way for less wargamey RPGs to emerge.

Part of the reason D&D is so perennially confused as to what sort of game it is boils down to it having two astonishingly different audiences in the early days - the wargamers, for whom much of the tactical stuff was targeted, and genre fandom, who brought in more emphasis on story and treating your character as a role to explore rather than just your playing piece.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

StratGoatCom posted:

It's more that it's a constant nonstop :zaurg:, is more the thing.

yea at this point Judges' Guild is a pretty nothing company to most everyone but it's more that it's so rare you see one of these guys go 100% full on 'the jew', usually it's just kinda the run of the mill 'look I'm just saying women can't handle being in a game and that's because they're dumb not because I had a 20 minute rape scene in her first session' shithead stuff. Don't see a lot of 'YEA THE JEW MEDIA LIES ABOUT HATE CRIMES AND THE BLACKS ARE SAVAGES, WHAT OF IT?!'

Also it does blow that such a historic kinda part of the hobby is headed by such a complete scumbag.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
lmao, predictably over on ENworld, Celebrim has already made the story all about him and his oppression as a conservative white catholic.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I went and read that thread, and I'm aghast. No, they're not defending Bledsaw, they're just being obnoxiously pedantic to one another for no apparent reason. It's worse than TheRPGSite, and I don't say that lightly.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Halloween Jack posted:

I went and read that thread, and I'm aghast. No, they're not defending Bledsaw, they're just being obnoxiously pedantic to one another for no apparent reason. It's worse than TheRPGSite, and I don't say that lightly.
Yeah.

The "no politics" rule there is pernicious and makes it impossible to discuss nazis in 2020 context.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

dwarf74 posted:

lmao, predictably over on ENworld, Celebrim has already made the story all about him and his oppression as a conservative white catholic.

Jesus, I want to stuff this dipshit in a locker.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Are you sure? Because the RPG Site thread contains takes such as:

"It's a shame he is an anti-semite and dislikes all Jews. The Jews on CNN are bad, but some Jews like Ben Shapiro are very good."

And:

"Some of those racist posts are actually fair and accurate, if you assume he's not being racist".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Oh, I just meant as regards the general forums culture of being pointlessly antagonistic because, well, TheRPGSite was founded on being a haven for the banned. Politically, it's even worse. Much worse.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I am hearing through the OSR grapevine that Goodman has cut them loose, too.

I have no link to share; take that as the hearsay it is.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I did not wake up expecting to see the word 'holohoax' today but here we are.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

I did not wake up expecting to see the word 'holohoax' today but here we are.
why can't that word be about cool vr conspiracies or something like making people believe in the wrong candidate or whatever

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

So Bob II and Bob III are lovely; I bet the late Bob I was lovely too if he raised a son and grandson to be like that. I'm glad I've never given Judges Guild a single penny in my life.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh, I just meant as regards the general forums culture of being pointlessly antagonistic because, well, TheRPGSite was founded on being a haven for the banned. Politically, it's even worse. Much worse.

Thats true. Posters on the RPG Site are pretty much in furious agreement about their terrible opinions.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lumbermouth posted:

Jesus, I want to stuff this dipshit in a locker.
Years ago I had an argument with him about making the hobby (particularly shops and cons) safer and more welcoming for women.

His position was - and I swear I'm not making this up - "The people making the hobby safer are the real sexists because they are depriving women of the opportunity to confront sexism and abusiveness."

Only he used about 13,000 words for it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Is he Somebody? It seems despite ENW's lovely modding he gets a talking-to pretty often anyway. Why is he still there?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

That Old Tree posted:

Is he Somebody? It seems despite ENW's lovely modding he gets a talking-to pretty often anyway. Why is he still there?
He's just a right-wing die-hard religious nut grognard who posts too loving much.

It's super hard to get actually banned from enworld. And he's adept at playing the "I'm not touching you" game that place engenders.

fidgit
Apr 27, 2002

And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.

dwarf74 posted:

I am hearing through the OSR grapevine that Goodman has cut them loose, too.

I have no link to share; take that as the hearsay it is.

There should be an announcement soon. There’s something more that Goodman is going to do, but it was need to know and I didn’t. The footing is precarious, because they were about to put out Jennell Jaquays’s compiled collector’s edition.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's pretty cool that every time someone starts getting upset about people painting the OSR with too broad a brush somebody inevitably comes along and goes full mask off.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

It's pretty cool that every time someone starts getting upset about people painting the OSR with too broad a brush somebody inevitably comes along and goes full mask off.

The Bledsaws themselves aren't OSR people, and the OSR people who are licensing stuff from them seem to be universally unreservedly cutting ties as part of this. I'm not sure what else you want.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

That Old Tree posted:

He was a regular exhibit in the old grognards.txt threads.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The Bledsaws are "in the RPG industry" in the same sense that Harmony Gold is "part of the anime industry". :rolleyes:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Also: happy one-year anniversary to the last time Mike "The Abuser's Friend" Mearls made a public statement about anything.

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/1095486649977384960

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

BattleMaster posted:

So Bob II and Bob III are lovely; I bet the late Bob I was lovely too if he raised a son and grandson to be like that. I'm glad I've never given Judges Guild a single penny in my life.

There's a couple of posts on RPG.net from people who knew or met Bob I and they say he wasn't.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Halloween Jack posted:

TSR was also slow to realize that there was an audience for the RPG hobby beyond people who quibble over uniforms and rank insignia of the Napoleonic wars.

Has anyone written Arthur Wellesley's exciting adventures in the Penisuala as a RPG or fantasy novel? Swap the black powder for bows and swords and catapults and add some magic and evil clerics to stand in for the French.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Comstar posted:

evil clerics to stand in for the French.

What's there to change?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Xiahou Dun posted:

What's there to change?

Convert the Highlander battalions to Amazons wearing skirts.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

PST posted:

TotalCon 2017 - 100% male guests of honour
TotalCon 2018 - 100% male guests of honour
Totalcon 2019 - 100% male guests of honour
Totalcon 2020 - 89% male guests of honour (Notorious harasser Bill Webb still an industry guest, may or may not have chaperones this year)

Well it's an improvement, having 3 women as industry guests but..wow do they have a diversity problem in general, and with 7 of their 27 guests being partners in, or worked for Frog God, yeah, that's definitely sending a message about the type of convention it is and what you can expect there.

https://www.totalcon.com/industry-guests.php
Fun fact one of the women was described as aggressively misgendering a non-binary person in the defense of Webb so somehow they managed to make it worst.

Also, let me tell you how bad of a warning sign it is. You forgot I told you that they snubbed a women game designer who attended the convention while recovering from severe injuries (Linda Zayas Palmer). Not only did they snub the women there is a non zero chance that they tried to deflect criticism using her co-worker (Tonya Woodbridge). I can't say with certainty because I know she was supposed to attend but not in what capacity.

And I think I mentioned this before to you but it's not that they were lacking in local personalities that they had to resort to a company who employs Gail Gygax's harasser and a neo nazi supporter.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Comstar posted:

Has anyone written Arthur Wellesley's exciting adventures in the Penisuala as a RPG or fantasy novel? Swap the black powder for bows and swords and catapults and add some magic and evil clerics to stand in for the French.

Pretty close to Brian McClellan's Powder Mage series, complete with evil French! And mages who draw power from snorting/igniting gunpowder.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
https://twitter.com/GoodmanGames/status/1227633412015476741?s=19

From what I understand they have already put a lot of time and money into a Tegel Manor reboot.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I swear to god, finding out that an industry person is a Nazi is this thread's version of Magechat. Every time I suddenly see fifty new posts it's never a good sign.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Froghammer posted:

I swear to god, finding out that an industry person is a Nazi is this thread's version of Magechat. Every time I suddenly see fifty new posts it's never a good sign.

Nah, it's honestly a great sign. More of it needs to be happening and faster.

It may suck sort of but kill your idols.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I mean it's good they're getting outed but I'd rather they not be there in the first place.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

neongrey posted:

I mean it's good they're getting outed but I'd rather they not be there in the first place.
This. I don't mind ferreting out secret Nazis, I mind that this hobby is full of secret Nazis

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

neongrey posted:

I think the scarier part as pointed out earlier is no one loving knows about the more overt ones. Like Alexander Macris is the most overt neo Nazi in the entire industry and yet I've seen people get completely flummoxed by his existence and relationship with people.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

MadScientistWorking posted:

I think the scarier part as pointed out earlier is no one loving knows about the more overt ones. Like Alexander Macris is the most overt neo Nazi in the entire industry and yet I've seen people get completely flummoxed by his existence and relationship with people.
He's basically been driven out of the industry, last I checked. Nobody gives a gently caress about his OSR game anymore.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Even for those who might be interested in keeping up on the topic, tabletop gaming is an incredibly fragmented hobby with no real journalism to speak of to systematically provide coverage of what's going on. Most gamers aren't frequenting forums like this one, or following gaming parts of twitter or Google+ when that was around or whatever.

Like, I know Alexander Macris is a piece of poo poo. But I learned that first from tech journalism sites that reported on gamergate. If he hadn't been involved in that bullshit specifically, I probably wouldn't have been aware of any of his fuckery until it was brought up in a thread like this. Hell, I wouldn't have even known about him for gamegate if a more general tech site hadn't covered it, as aside for looking for announcements on what's coming out, I don't really follow gaming news to any great degree.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Desiden posted:

Even for those who might be interested in keeping up on the topic, tabletop gaming is an incredibly fragmented hobby with no real journalism to speak of to systematically provide coverage of what's going on. Most gamers aren't frequenting forums like this one, or following gaming parts of twitter or Google+ when that was around or whatever.

Like, I know Alexander Macris is a piece of poo poo. But I learned that first from tech journalism sites that reported on gamergate. If he hadn't been involved in that bullshit specifically, I probably wouldn't have been aware of any of his fuckery until it was brought up in a thread like this. Hell, I wouldn't have even known about him for gamegate if a more general tech site hadn't covered it, as aside for looking for announcements on what's coming out, I don't really follow gaming news to any great degree.

The weird thing to me is Macris doesn't even have a wikipedia page. Their page for The Escapist barely even mentions him.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Isn't the latest version of the story that he barely had anything to do with the Escapist, honest?

...you gotta be deep in denial to believe it, but I've seen it in the wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Isn't the latest version of the story that he barely had anything to do with the Escapist, honest?

The current attitude of the people with the rights to The Escapist (or at least the Youtube part) is, so far as I can tell "Thank gently caress that rear end in a top hat ran The Escapist into the ground so we were able to buy the rights to all the content we created before he fired us and replaced us with Gators at a bargain price. And we hope he absolutely hates what we're doing with the brand." Or possibly that's just Bob Chipman's attitude.