Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I like it but it’s a Divisive game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

An FF14 x FF12 crossover might be enough to get me to play again. I really liked the sidequests from FF15 where FF14 characters showed up.
that's what Return to Ivalice was pretty much, in a weird way that synthesized FFT and FF12 while also putting them in the context of the world of FF14. dalmasca is canonical place in 14 now, and all the characters of FFT and many of them from 12 exist in 14

all the ff14 people are big matsuno fanboys

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I haven't played xenoblade but I think you push less buttons in ff12

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

The 7th Guest posted:

Otaku is the debut novel from former NFL player and tech enthusiast Chris Kluwe, with a story reminiscent of Ready Player One and Ender's Game.

Ditchtown.

A city of skyscrapers, built atop the drowned bones of old Miami. A prison of steel, filled with unbelievers. A dumping ground for strays, runaways, and malcontents.

Why does every hack genre writer call their lovely neighbourhood like 'ditchtown' or 'crimeville' or 'bloodhaven' or some poo poo. No one called Cabrini Green 'violenceberg' in the 90's, it was just called what it was.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

I like it but it’s a Divisive game

Yeah, divisive is the best way to put it. Some people like it a lot and some really don't.

I think it's one of the worst FFs.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Hmm ok. As someone that enjoys making excel macros it seems like something I might enjoy in a strange way :v:

Weird to think that I've only ever finished two jrpgs in my life, chrono trigger and the first mario & Luigi.

Also just realised my phone automatically capitalises Luigi but not mario :tinfoil:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Convex posted:

Is final fantasy 12 any good? I liked what I played of xenoblade on the Wii and it seems to have the same combat system.

Game owns. A lot of people complained about the gambit system and it just auto doing everything for you, but its a completely optional feature. I've finished the game both with it exclusively, and exclusively never using it, and then using it a reasonable amount. I really like the characters, gameworld, and soundtrack. The ending credits song is one of the best Final Fantasy tracks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqxnAz2czpk

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I love it but it’s a Divisive game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Convex posted:

Hmm ok. As someone that enjoys making excel macros it seems like something I might enjoy in a strange way :v:

If you like excel...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qM7wr8k2H_b9OAToAgPsPip8QAjB2ET6z22jHDy4wCs/htmlview

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Convex posted:

Also just realised my phone automatically capitalises Luigi but not mario :tinfoil:

That is because Luigi is the superior sibling.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Game owns. A lot of people complained about the gambit system and it just auto doing everything for you, but its a completely optional feature. I've finished the game both with it exclusively, and exclusively never using it, and then using it a reasonable amount. I really like the characters, gameworld, and soundtrack. The ending credits song is one of the best Final Fantasy tracks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqxnAz2czpk

FF12 without using the gambits at all would be horrible, The whole game is built around the system and playing without it at all is really cumbersome.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

Back in the 90s~

lol

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

:psyduck:

Did you really use the not at all designed for it UI to manually control 3 characters throughout the whole game? Jfc why

The best thing I can say about 12 is that it was basically the alpha version of the 13 combat system.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if only 13 had gambits

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

12 and 13 are both good

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

did anyone even like gambit he was essentially pepe lepew that threw exploding playing cards from what i remember

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The best thing I can say about 12 is that it was basically the alpha version of the 13 combat system.

I really don't see many similarities aside from the characters kind of doing their own thing 13 without your input. Everything else is totally different.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:psyduck:

Did you really use the not at all designed for it UI to manually control 3 characters throughout the whole game? Jfc why

It was pure madness. :v: please note that I said nothing about whether it was fun or not. But if you must know, it wasn't fun. :v: But I did complete a full playthrough like this!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Tactics Ogre was also Star Wars

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

To this day I still don't see the Star Wars connection.

Judge = Darth

Airships = spaceships

Ashe = Leia

Balthier = Han

Fran = Chewie

Vaan = baby luke

It goes on and on

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lets hang out posted:

Tactics Ogre was also Star Wars

Stupid question but is Ogre Battle & Ogre Battle 64 in the same series as Tactics Orgre? I've only played Ogre Battle 64 and that game was really cool.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Stupid question but is Ogre Battle & Ogre Battle 64 in the same series as Tactics Orgre? I've only played Ogre Battle 64 and that game was really cool.
same series but very different games. tactics ogre was the prototype for final fantasy tactics, before matsuno, yoshida, and minegawa left for square

ogre 64 wasnt a matsuno game though, that was developed after he left

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

How do you solve a problem like Mario

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hwurmp posted:

How do you solve a problem like Mario

Very carefully

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Andrast posted:

I really don't see many similarities aside from the characters kind of doing their own thing 13 without your input. Everything else is totally different.

I saw it as a very simplified version of the 13 system in that you can turn gambits on and off in combat and that you are generally worrying about the bigger picture of when to attack / heal like in 13 rather than worrying about what spell or ability to use.

e: This only applied to the 5% of content where you couldn't just beat it with 1 gambit ie the last few hunts and superbosses.

I said come in! posted:

It was pure madness. :v: please note that I said nothing about whether it was fun or not. But if you must know, it wasn't fun. :v: But I did complete a full playthrough like this!

I salute your dedication :patriot:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 11, 2020

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cowcaster posted:

did anyone even like gambit he was essentially pepe lepew that threw exploding playing cards from what i remember

For at least 15 years he was the second most popular X-man after Wolverine, and it wasn't even close. Which is why Fox stubbornly refusing to include him in the movies other than a brief cameo and his solo film constantly getting delayed and canceled was really baffling. He's been in a couple decent comics here and there but his popularity has definitely faded, and now it's too late to cash in on a character who's profile was like 10x that of Iron Man's when that first movie came out.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I said come in! posted:

UBISoft announced a new expansion for Division 2. I completely forgot this game existed, and I even own it. There was nothing really that wrong with it, I mean it was no Anthem, but its playerbase dropped off extremely fast and the game has been dead since about a month after release.

It makes literally the exact same mistakes as every other Destiny-like. Ubisoft also said all the dlc would be free but we'll see how that ends up.

(Also the setting is far less fun than the first game.)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the free dlc is done, this is gonna be a $40 expansion

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Khanstant posted:

That is not, nor has it ever been, a defining quality of PC gamery. If anything, as a PC Gamer, you should point to your wealth of potential controllers, joysticks, and that thing you plug into your butt for rumble.

What kind of PC Gamer don't have they own controller? A shameful PC Gamer.

controllers suck and i genuinely don't like playing games with them

i have played games with kb/m for the majority of my life and have way way more skill with it than any controller. all my muscle memory is kb/m.

i own multiple controllers but i don't feel like they're some magical device that makes everything better. maybe if you're the opposite of me and have only ever played games with controller, and that's where all your muscle memory is. but that's not everyone.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

also i have tiny hands

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

kb+m solidarity

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

12 & 13 combat are pretty different because 13 is about swapping paradigms rather than conventional menuing. 12 still has conventional menuing and i much prefer that

i also much prefer 12 to xenoblade because i like the gambits, and being able to pause and go into a menu to plan. i guess technically it's RTWP like a loving filthy disgraceful point and click CRPG. but somehow i like it instead of really dislike it, like i really dislike all RTWP in CRPGs that are the root of human sin

also xenoblade is boring as poo poo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's less boring as poo poo than FF12, a game I beat by holding the left stick in the correct direction for 40 hours at x4 speed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Andrast posted:

FF12 without using the gambits at all would be horrible, The whole game is built around the system and playing without it at all is really cumbersome.

Maybe, but its there.

I really like the idea of "gambits but you can take over control if you want"

Liked that more than 13's combat

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I will keep saying it, but I want more gambit (ff12) / Tactics (dragon Age Origins) systems in games

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

Cajun man was extremely cool in the comics and cartoon

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I liked long coats when I was a teen

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

See: Vincent valentine of ff7 fame

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Jay Rust posted:

I wish sonic died

the sonic movie is in theaters this friday and sonic dies in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

It's less boring as poo poo than FF12, a game I beat by holding the left stick in the correct direction for 40 hours at x4 speed.
not for me. i beat ff12 and in xenoblade i checked out by prison island. i stopped caring about anything that was going on and i was bored of the spammy-rear end combat

the only xenoblade i like is X and it's not because of the combat but because of the loop of exploring the hexes and increasing the map% and setting up the resource chains