Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jay_Zombie posted:

I distinctly remember having this:

But like, zero other terminator toys.

So naturally he had join up with JT Marsh and DeLeon to fight 3 out of 4 Ninja Turtles (gently caress you Leonardo), Gorilla Alien, Scorpion Alien and Phaeton.

NECA, the action figure company that currently has the Terminator license, recently did a modern “remake” of that figure (and a few others).

They’ve also done modern remakes of most of the old 90s Aliens/Predator toys and they’re rad as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Xenomrph posted:

NECA, the action figure company that currently has the Terminator license, recently did a modern “remake” of that figure (and a few others).

They’ve also done modern remakes of most of the old 90s Aliens/Predator toys and they’re rad as gently caress.

I saw that while I was looking for the other pic. I was like hey.... no wait... that looks too good to be the one I had.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Remember the thing that was flesh-colored play dough and a press mold that let you make Nude Arnolds around chromed plastic skeleton robots then tear the flesh off to expose the skelebot beneath and start all over again?

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Remember the thing that was flesh-colored play dough and a press mold that let you make Nude Arnolds around chromed plastic skeleton robots then tear the flesh off to expose the skelebot beneath and start all over again?

I do remember that thing. My little brother wanted it but my mom wouldn't let him have a "Little Naked Man Factory".

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Jay_Zombie posted:

"Little Naked Man Factory".

...mods?

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Toss that in the username thread.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jay_Zombie posted:

I distinctly remember having this:

But like, zero other terminator toys.

So naturally he had join up with JT Marsh and DeLeon to fight 3 out of 4 Ninja Turtles (gently caress you Leonardo), Gorilla Alien, Scorpion Alien and Phaeton.

Yes I had that one too! Also a car that shot a giant missile out of it.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yes I had that one too! Also a car that shot a giant missile out of it.

Boss!! We made way too many Barbie Dream Cars! But I think I know of a solution!

A kid in my class had that. He got it taken away because he shot another kid in the eye.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

They actually resurrected that toy for the Terminator Salvation toyline and even improved on the design so it worked better than the old 90s T2 one.

https://youtu.be/A1qsQgbJ48A

I got the Salvation one for cheap on eBay; I haven’t used the flesh gimmick but i also only really bought it for the endoskeleton - Marcus (Sam Worthington) actually had a unique endoskeleton in the movie, and the only merchandise depicting it is the endoskeleton with the bio-flesh playset thing.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

They actually resurrected that toy for the Terminator Salvation toyline and even improved on the design so it worked better than the old 90s T2 one.

https://youtu.be/A1qsQgbJ48A

I got the Salvation one for cheap on eBay; I haven’t used the flesh gimmick but i also only really bought it for the endoskeleton - Marcus (Sam Worthington) actually had a unique endoskeleton in the movie, and the only merchandise depicting it is the endoskeleton with the bio-flesh playset thing.

Shoot his bollocks off. That'll teach him!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

:vince:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
You get to see her boobies too!!!

The red head is the real sleeper.

Actually no I think it's Denise Richards. Dizzy is the better character though.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Why does he have a watch?

Owlbear Camus posted:

I had skeleton bot but made do with silly putty.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Why does he have a watch?

I had skeleton bot but made do with silly putty.

NECA creatively re-uses a lot of parts across multiple figures in order to keep costs down, it looks like that alternate arm is from one of the Arnold figures they did for ‘Commando’.

Edit—
Or Dutch from ‘Predator’, take your pick.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 12, 2020

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

The red head is the real sleeper.

For sure.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:lol:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Hahah that's so drat perfect.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Building Better Breakers

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The astonishing part of Starship Troopers was making Denise Richards repulsive. Physically amazing, but gross.

I cannot believe the number of levels that movie works at, and despite seeing it in a theater in the 1990’s it’s unreal that it was produced before 9/11, when it seems like a reaction.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Remulak posted:

The astonishing part of Starship Troopers was making Denise Richards repulsive. Physically amazing, but gross.

I cannot believe the number of levels that movie works at, and despite seeing it in a theater in the 1990’s it’s unreal that it was produced before 9/11, when it seems like a reaction.

I listened to one of those earlier posted videos about SST and test audiences loving despised her character.

Also yes, Paul Verhoeven is a prophet genius, Robocop made today would be as fresh as ever.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I listened to one of those earlier posted videos about SST and test audiences loving despised her character.

Also yes, Paul Verhoeven is a prophet genius, Robocop made today would be as fresh as ever.

Ehhh, they tried remaking Robocop in 2014 and it's… okay. I hate to say this but I think it being PG-13 neutered it's ability to be over-the-top in its satire.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Android Apocalypse posted:

Ehhh, they tried remaking Robocop in 2014 and it's… okay. I hate to say this but I think it being PG-13 neutered it's ability to be over-the-top in its satire.

I meant if the original was released for the first time.

The remake is hot trash, pg 13 robocop, gtfo with that poo poo.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Oh, yeah rereleasing the OG Robocop now would play well.

drat, now I want a local theater to do a screening. Maybe I should rent out a screen at the nearby second-run cinema & show it, like a former studio mate did with Akira on his birthday.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
They CGI in ST holds up really well too. They did CGI the way you were supposed to use it at that time period. You mix it in with practical effects. The tech just wasn't good enough for close up shots at the time, so you use models or animatronics. Then for the big epic far away shots, go to town.

Verheoven did great with effects.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

They CGI in ST holds up really well too. They did CGI the way you were supposed to use it at that time period. You mix it in with practical effects. The tech just wasn't good enough for close up shots at the time, so you use models or animatronics. Then for the big epic far away shots, go to town.

Verheoven did great with effects.

It deserved a way better fate, you're spot on about the effects and I think it was you mentioning the epic music for the drop on klendathu, that's goosebump material every single time

E: I love the motivational speech too, "we're going in first wave, that just means more bugs for us to kill"

:blastu:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hell yeah. That speech was so good. Everyone is about to fight a bunch of creatures no one has fought on the battlefield before (the Mormons tried their thing) and there were hundreds of thousands (millions?) of MI about to face them for the first time. What do you say to that?

Sounded like a Marine. The music was "epic." Just excellent which is another thing Paul V did so well.

I'm glad you got goosebumps too. Every single time I watch even that YouTube clip I get them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I rewatched Predators. The Predator really did make this movie look good by comparison. It’s just so flat and dull though. Never really feels like an alien world or like the two obvious main characters are in real danger.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I may have posted it in this thread before, but as far as Starship Troopers goes, the amazing thing about rewatching it is that it was made before 9/11. Had it been released in 2004 instead of 1998 it would make way more sense. I really wish Verhoeven would do more.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

E: I love the motivational speech too, "we're going in first wave, that just means more bugs for us to kill"

:hmmyes:

"You smash the entire area! You kill anything that has more than two legs! You get me?"

Additionally I like "I only have one rule. Everyone fights, no one quits. If you don't do your job I'll shoot you."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh-vuomKdRg

Michael Ironside does not have enough lines in that movie.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 12, 2020

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Jay_Zombie posted:

Michael Ironside does not have enough lines in that movie.

Seriously, he crushes every single one.

The line about "Figuring things out for yourself is the only freedom anyone really has. Use that freedom. Make up your own mind, Rico." cuts through the satire like a knife.

Also the reply to dickhead macking on your girl saying "we know each other from the field, no hard feelings?"

"Oh none at all...we won." :discourse:

I loving love the music from the prom also, for such a seemingly throwaway scene it's really stuck with me.

https://youtu.be/JOwtI8nLXIc

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

I loving love the music from the prom also, for such a seemingly throwaway scene it's really stuck with me.

Lol at Dizzy staring at Johnny like a dog watching you eat a steak.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Jay_Zombie posted:

Lol at Dizzy staring at Johnny like a dog watching you eat a steak.

Hell, same!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The line about "Figuring things out for yourself is the only freedom anyone really has. Use that freedom. Make up your own mind, Rico." cuts through the satire like a knife.
It really does. It's one of the strongest tells in a movie full of strong tells.

Ironside in 1998 was absolutely at his peak.

The writing is honestly a bit garbo-- full of filler phrases--but Ironside is killer as "Darkseid" in Superman: The Animated Series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz3Fw4SDsds

He's smart enough to know that Darkseid needs to be stoic, almost laconic, and detached... but just attached enough that he can be provoked and prove himself petty. In a better world, either he or John Goodman would do this role in a movie. Not any of the movies today though. For some reason after 2011 DC decided Darkseid needs to be weaksauce.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Maybe because Bowie owns?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Michael Ironside is amazing and can do no wrong.

I was way more upset than I probably should have been when they recast Sam Fisher for Splinter Cell: Blacklist, especially since Splinter Cell: Conviction had set up a great finale for Fisher’s character and they could have just passed the torch and had Fisher become the support/handler for the new guy like Grimsdottir was for Fisher. It was especially painful because Blacklist was otherwise a fantastic game and had some of the best gameplay in the series.

At least they brought Ironside back for the Ghost Recon Wildlands DLC I guess.

Edit- coincidentally, today is Michael Ironside’s 70th birthday. :toot:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 12, 2020

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Torquemada posted:

Maybe because Bowie owns?

That's pretty cool, I didn't realize it was a Bowie cover. Definitely makes sense, I love a lot of his earlier stuff but haven't listened to much from the 90s or beyond.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Lol. No love for poor Ace, huh?

Ace always has your back.
Everyone should have a friend like him.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 12, 2020

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
:lol: I forgot Jake Busey's name was Ace in the movie.

Even better now that one of my friends named his son Ace. I can totally see him growing up to be like Ace Levy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I love Jake Busey.