Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Why on earth would julie bindel be a member of the labour party anyway???

To vote for the transphobe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

OwlFancier posted:

Apparently we had about 100 people joining since the election, mostly in order to vote in the leadership elections, and that's a CLP of 500.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sure but like, the claim of being an upstanding member of the labour party cruelly ousted by the tyrannical leadership falls a bit flat when nobody would believe you'd be a party member normally.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Because only tru natal wymyn can go into labour.

Prince John posted:

Has the Matt Singh thread with lots of snippets from the big focus group been posted yet?

Quite a lot of info for those who don't want to read the whole report.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattSingh_/status/1227009423585021954
If you changed 'woke' to 'right on' and 'genders' to 'sexualities' then literally nothing has changed since this:

"Neil won't let us say the wogs are all raping and I'm not voting for that!"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Sure but like, the claim of being an upstanding member of the labour party cruelly ousted by the tyrannical leadership falls a bit flat when nobody would believe you'd be a party member normally.

There were articles in the Daily Telegraph called "why I left the labour party" by people who only joined to vote for Liz Kendall.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also fundamentally I don't think you're gonna win, or do anything useful, unless you can convince people that things need to change. So the idea that the UK is full of reactionary twats isn't saying much, we know that, they just voted for the tories. The point of politics is to convince people that things can, should, and need, to change. And I don't think anyone's gonna be convinced by saying "ok we'll do some rights but not others" or "let's spend a little bit more but not fix any problems in the long run."

If you're starting from the premise that labour has the abiltiy to change people's minds about things in order to legitimize their basis for being in government then why just go chasing what people already think?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

OwlFancier posted:

The entire idea that the army would not notice a dead guy on the base for 3 weeks is farcical as is, they're clearly hiding something and that's as likely as anything. I'd been assuming he was murdered probably by some officer or something. Or some toff's son or something.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It almost doesn't matter how he died - that he was left undiscovered for three weeks pretty much removes any benefit of the doubt you'd be willing to give, because that's a level of incompetence that is indistinguishable from malice.

Yeah the idea that the Army could just loving lose someone for three loving weeks is absolutely buckwild. A squaddie gets back from the pissup three hours late and he'll be getting the bollocking of a lifetime. A decorated soldier working in loving SIGINT? He wasn't even due to transfer to Dennison for another week. The army's apparent belief that we will believe they just went "This lad's not shown up for duty but he's probably just gone to Dennison ahead of schedule without orders from us or so much as a by-your-leave" is blowing my mind lmao.

And then his next deployment never called anyone up to say "Oi where's he at he was supposed to be here bright eyed and bushy tailed at 0700 sharp"??

I'd almost rather it's malice than incompetence because the degree of incompetence needed for this to be down solely to innocent fuckups implies a level of martial prowess somewhere around a blancmange.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Apologies if this has been discussed at length, but what the gently caress is the deal with Graham Linehan? I've seen it referenced a lot, but I've just been looking at how all in he's gotten with the Transphobia. It's literally all he talks about, and seems to spend every waking minute on Twitter. He's clearly totally addicted. Extremely damaged guy

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Answers Me posted:

Apologies if this has been discussed at length, but what the gently caress is the deal with Graham Linehan? I've seen it referenced a lot, but I've just been looking at how all in he's gotten with the Transphobia. It's literally all he talks about, and seems to spend every waking minute on Twitter. He's clearly totally addicted. Extremely damaged guy

He never could get over his beaver bother.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Some people when they hit their middle years, their great achievements behind them, they spend their TV millions on a sports car or something and peacefully wrap it round a tree three months later like a normal person.

Glinner just decided to go real hard on the idea of pop biology as the absolute basis of masculinity/femininity that definitely doesn't have any overlap with his recent bollock surgery.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Answers Me posted:

the gently caress is the deal with Graham Linehan?

He was right about stuff for ages, successful and then got on Twitter and was told he was wrong about something and this is the ongoing reaction and refusal to just accept it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

I'd almost rather it's malice than incompetence because the degree of incompetence needed for this to be down solely to innocent fuckups implies a level of martial prowess somewhere around a blancmange.
I'd almost rather it be malice because he found out some dark secret and they didn't trust him not to talk (even then it'd probably be because racism and "you know what those Gypsy families are like") than the more likely case of a jolly game of beat the Traveller went wrong as you were only supposed to knock him out a bit Jameo.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

He was right about stuff for ages, successful and then got on Twitter and was told he was wrong about something and this is the ongoing reaction and refusal to just accept it.
Yeah he stumbled blindly into something that has decades of nuanced biology and sociology behind it and was just starting to be whipped up again as a new gay panic by the American right and promptly shat himself.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Some people when they hit their middle years, their great achievements behind them, they spend their TV millions on a sports car or something and peacefully wrap it round a tree three months later like a normal person.

Glinner just decided to go real hard on the idea of pop biology as the absolute basis of masculinity/femininity that definitely doesn't have any overlap with his recent bollock surgery.

He has that special kind of transphobia that lies at the intersection of I loving LOVE SCIENCE, faux-progressiveness, and a deeply repressed need for an Other to attack. He'd spent a lot of time cultivating a self-image of nerd-cred and I'm sure he absolutely loved the positive reinforcement he got from both the Mumsnet crowd and the fedoras when he first started down the "gender-critical" route, and I think the Hbomb stream is what actually broke him because he realised how completely disconnected he actually was from the younger generation and now all he can do is keep digging.

I think hbomberguy himself said it at some point - something along the lines of "you had an out, you could have just pretended it wasn't happening, but every time you posted another grand got donated".

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Also he did a thing on Mumsnet or something & suddenly had legions of adoring TERF fans telling him how wonderful he was (whilst everyone else rightly called him a oval office) & he lapped that poo poo right up & decided to become the saviour of womankind *(offer not applicable to certain subcategories of woman)

Glinner isn't a TERF though. He's a FART.

e:f;b. Also he's only got one ball (whereabouts of the other unconfirmed) & apparently has a bit of a complex about it. I think there was an article or Twitter thread (lmao@AD2020, those 2 things are exactly as authoritative) about it?

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 11, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do worry that there's gonna be a moment at some point where something just breaks in my brain and I turn into an absolute lunatic and start demanding... gently caress I dunno, that the sexugederial hypermatrix isn't real and the postgender polyharmonic superorganism we have in the space year 2060 isn't real and gender is CLEARLY performative.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah the idea that the Army could just loving lose someone for three loving weeks is absolutely buckwild. A squaddie gets back from the pissup three hours late and he'll be getting the bollocking of a lifetime. A decorated soldier working in loving SIGINT? He wasn't even due to transfer to Dennison for another week. The army's apparent belief that we will believe they just went "This lad's not shown up for duty but he's probably just gone to Dennison ahead of schedule without orders from us or so much as a by-your-leave" is blowing my mind lmao.

And then his next deployment never called anyone up to say "Oi where's he at he was supposed to be here bright eyed and bushy tailed at 0700 sharp"??

Eh. Judging from stuff I heard and saw in the Swiss army (granted, completely something else), nearly no amount of incompetence of a military force will astonish me.
There are rumors about instances of having tanks and artillery misplaced till the farmer called to ask when he’d get the space in his barn back.
They used to more or less routinely shell some Italian alps cause they shot over the mountain.
Same for invasions of France or Liechtenstein, probably Italy and France too. This huge green line on the map, you think that’s important? (Germany less because the border is nearly all in the Rhine).
One I know personally: a friend went into the yearly service a week late cause he had the wrong date marked. You always get told that the military police will come to get you in cases like this. We always assumed you’d at least get called. But they didn’t manage that for a week and it only came out cause one of the other soldiers called to ask if he’d come for a loving reunion.

Add complete fuckups like the British army the Kuwait campaign or Iraq.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Answers Me posted:

Someone told him that a transphobic joke he wrote wasn't funny and it broke him.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

*ahem* more like Julie get-in-the-bindel

Ms Adequate posted:

The Firth of Forth consideration, surely? :thunk:

Even Ms A is accusing you of being an east coaster now mehall :v:

OwlFancier posted:

I really hate that there's an industry based around quantifying the kind of moronic poo poo you can find in any comment section.

Wait you can monetise comment or Commentariat?!

Oh and linehan has one less bollock than some women and he can’t get over that

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I definitely buy the theory that all of this is 99% a reaction to his bollock surgery lol.

Which sure, that can be a hard thing for some people to deal with, but like, you can't even call this a meltdown, this is tectonic activity forming an entire mountain range out of your issues. New continents are being birthed entirely filled with graham linehan's bollock neurosis. This is the creation myth, glinner descended from the heavens and cast his bollock unto the formless waters and thus was the domain of the earth formed.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 11, 2020

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/nadinebh_/status/1227280503411281920

This poo poo is loving sickening. The bloke's been here since he was 13, has three kids, and they just nabbed him one day when he went to sign on at the Home Office and stuck him in detention, and have now sent him back to Jamaica.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

a moment at some point where something just breaks in my brain and I turn into an absolute lunatic and start demanding...

I have bad news for you. Several times.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

OwlFancier posted:

I definitely buy the theory that all of this is 99% a reaction to his bollock surgery lol.

Which sure, that can be a hard thing for some people to deal with, but like, you can't even call this a meltdown, this is tectonic activity forming an entire mountain range out of your issues. New continents are being birthed entirely filled with graham linehan's bollock neurosis. This is the creation myth, glinner descended from the heavens and cast his bollock unto the formless waters and thus was the domain of the earth formed.

The sheer psychic will of his self torment will ironically be what shears reality asunder, rending us unto the warp under Slaaneshi rule, where literally everyone and everything will have more bollocks than him, creating unlimited amounts of energy.

Bardeh posted:

This poo poo is loving sickening. The bloke's been here since he was 13, has three kids, and they just nabbed him one day when he went to sign on at the Home Office and stuck him in detention, and have now sent him back to Jamaica.

The beeb were reporting it earlier and just went outright with “17 offenders have been deported”. This slide into fascism was definitely a sudden drop towards the end.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Borrovan posted:

Also he did a thing on Mumsnet or something & suddenly had legions of adoring TERF fans telling him how wonderful he was (whilst everyone else rightly called him a oval office) & he lapped that poo poo right up & decided to become the saviour of womankind *(offer not applicable to certain subcategories of woman)

Glinner isn't a TERF though. He's a FART.

e:f;b. Also he's only got one ball (whereabouts of the other unconfirmed) & apparently has a bit of a complex about it. I think there was an article or Twitter thread (lmao@AD2020, those 2 things are exactly as authoritative) about it?

I don't really feel like he's deserving of any kind of F at all to be honest.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Burgon just shared this: obviously headline writer can bearly bring themselves to put Bernie in the lead.

source: https://www.ibtimes.com/final-new-hampshire-primary-poll-shows-warren-top-second-choice-sanders-still-leading-2919580

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
God I want Sanders to win. The left in general need a win at some point.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"Top second choice" is a fantastic phrase lol.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Remain was top second choice! Where were our articles like this?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Oh and linehan has one less bollock than some women and he can’t get over that
Hell, he specifically has one less bollock than some cis women, but I don't see him shiteing himself in public over that.

Bardeh posted:

This whole thing is just terrible and it's deliberately designed to incite racialized fear.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Answers Me posted:

You've summed it up pretty well tbh. Just an extremely damaged, totally addicted, very deranged man.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

jaete posted:

What up fellow overpaid computer wanker buddy :hfive:

Did you do one of those bootcamp things or?

:hfive: A bit of both. I'd dabbled with some software development as a hobbyist on and off over the years, then applied it in practice automating a bunch of stuff at work that was wasting my time. Once I'd decided to make the jump, I then went with one of the more reputable bootcamps to make sure I was bit more professional and to check I enjoyed doing it full time.

I'd say my previous experience was a big help in making sure I got the most out of the bootcamp (I did not envy those who tackled it with zero experience), but the course was very good at immersing you in small software development teams, teaching practical software development skills, and giving you the confidence to self-learn and put yourself out there. Also very good at helping you build a portfolio and rounding up potential employers who have realistic expectations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I don't even know what you guys were talking about and I can't be assed scrolling back but as someone who was in an army, I can 100% believe a squaddie goes missing for 3 days and nobody notices. Especially when you get to those ranks where you get a bunch of leeway. I'm pretty sure my captain just vanished for 2 days at some point without telling any officers and his 2nd covered for him. Nobody talked about it. I also saw 2 officers go out drinking on a weekday, come back at 2am and decide to drill the on-duty squad (the absolute fuckers). You know how incompetent everyone and every single company is? Once you get out of basic training, the army's worse.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
3 weeks though, and as a SIGINT guy? That's less believable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also in his own barracks. Like he's just been rotting in the barracks for 3 weeks and nobody noticed?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

My phone just sent me an article about how wales is being discriminated against in terms of fast car charging points. Apparently wales has fewer fast charger points than milton keynes, so Saith I'd like to apologiche. This cannot be right. I'm just lucky I've got no reason to go to wales after they were rude and unwelcoming the last time.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/trashfuturepod/status/1227211139454513152?s=19

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

E: ^

OwlFancier posted:

Also in his own barracks. Like he's just been rotting in the barracks for 3 weeks and nobody noticed?

Hard to smell much when everyone is wankered on port.

Seriously though, as much as I buy “it’s actually super easy to get away with being an absent jack bastard” as viable, three weeks is way too much. Especially when you consider the guy had a Traveller background, there’s no way there wasn’t a poo poo in a higher position than him that would have relished beasting him over an absence of a day never mind three weeks.

Sanitary Naptime fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 12, 2020

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I think... this isnt bad?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Typical tory trying to get away with making the public pay for his housing.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

https://twitter.com/markdistef/status/1227305349876789251?s=21

RIP the podcast :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
First internet watchdog? What about the ones that existed to police gay hookup newsgroups the bad child abusers and only that and nothing more?