Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Nm
Lol

Spinz fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

QuarkJets posted:

Remember, hospitals in China aren't just treating coronavirus patients right now; if those kids died of cancer or something they'd still need to be taken away

They aren't necessarily treating people which can make it worse. My boss's father in law is an oncologist and they're just telling people not to come in for treatment and wait it out.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I heard most medicine in china is "traditional medicine", so basically placebos. I have no idea how true it is.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Luckyellow posted:

I just remembered that in some cases, some symptoms are digestive problems and diarrhea. Add on to the fact that this is airborne.

Could one vector of transmission that people are missing out is actually farts??

and to think Hong Kong already run out of toilet paper..

we're facing a disaster of epic proportions here, a literal coronavirus shitstorm. poo poo in the streets, poo poo in the air, poo poo in the water, poo poo everywhere. the winds of poo poo approacheth

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 23, 2021

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

Thats what I thought until I saw that video of they putting dead kids in the same body bag.

Why would that matter? What difference would the cause of mortality make if there's a body bag shortage?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Play posted:

Then they waited a bit too long didn't they. They could've separated those infected and likely to be infected, in fact the earlier they separated folks and the more groups they created would probably mean several of the groups would end up completely disease free, instead of what we have now where it seems pretty clear that basically everyone on that ship is going to get the disease.

Not pretending to be an expert here, just a regular guy. I understand the concept of the quarantine, just wondering if it could've been executed a bit differently.

How do you go about determining which people to put on new boats? We know that the incubation rate is long, so there's no way to determine who has been infected that early; do you just assign all of the asymptomatic people to a new boat and cross your fingers? That's nearly certain to not succeed, leaving you actually worse off since it's exposing a new crew to infection and creating a new vessel that needs to be disinfected.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the virus allows you to hear the voices of the dead

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

No way man crows get enough poo poo as it is. They're smart and friendly birds and if you're nice to one they will literally tell their friends that you're okay.

Yeah, fair call! Australia's corvids at least are great animals.
What is the distinction between crows and ravens, anyway?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

No difference really, just like with schooners and sailboats.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

No way man crows get enough poo poo as it is. They're smart and friendly birds and if you're nice to one they will literally tell their friends that you're okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4tHk3ZY0yI

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.
my father had a neighbor (who "accidentally" cut down a bunch of beautiful huge old trees on his property) so he tossed pennies on his roof, then fed any crows that would bring them back to him. in a month there was a huge flock circling this guys house trying to find pennies, covering most of his property in bird poo poo

Crows are loving great

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CodeJanitor posted:

my father had a neighbor (who "accidentally" cut down a bunch of beautiful huge old trees on his property) so he tossed pennies on his roof, then fed any crows that would bring them back to him. in a month there was a huge flock circling this guys house trying to find pennies, covering most of his property in bird poo poo

Crows are loving great
lmao what the gently caress, did your dad often do stuff like this? that is amazing

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.

hallelujah posted:

lmao what the gently caress, did your dad often do stuff like this? that is amazing

He will feed any animals that come around to the house so we get wild rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, deer, blue jays, crows, etc. that will eat out of our hands.
Had a very malnourished bear come wandering in last year and we stood on our porch and fed him as he sat about 10 feet away.
best was when 3 raccoon mamas came up to eat with their new babies and we sat with them holding and petting the little ones. one fell asleep on the edge of the porch and fell off :3:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Do they eat crows in china?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Tree Bucket posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9-wTnqIidY

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
One has a writing desk.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

sincx posted:

Imagine if chiropractors were treated like actual doctors. And that the proportion of homeopathic "medicine" in drug stores makes up half the store instead of about a quarter.
My friends don't understand why I will go out of my way to poo poo on anyone that treats "alternative medicine" as anything remotely serious. The more pseudoscience gains a foothold, the effects go from a localized "wow, this dead rear end in a top hat seriously believed drinking bleach would cure their hangnail" to a broader "JFC, I'm immunocompromised and, now that everyone believes godsdamned cupping prevents the measles, I can't leave my home due to outbreaks in my neighborhood."

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

CodeJanitor posted:

Crows are loving great

Made me think of this story: https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31604026

Girl feeds crows and over time they start bringing her gifts in return, whatever shiny things happen to catch their eye.

Tree Bucket posted:

Ravens are bigger, don't tend to gather in big flocks like crows do, and I think there are some visible differences in their beaks. I'm not sure if ravens tell their buddies about people they interact with or not like crows do.

edit: https://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/26/science/26crow.html Crows tell other crows that dude in a mask is an rear end in a top hat.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

CodeJanitor posted:

Crows are loving great

Your father hosed up.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Check out this guy's twitter: https://twitter.com/FWucinski

Married to a chinese woman in Wuhan, he and his 3 year old were recently evacuated to California, forced to leave his wife in Wuhan with her infected father who has just died, billed $2,200 for the flight, wife isn't allowed to have any sort of funeral for her dad, might also have coronavirus, and he and his daughter need to get to the east coast where he has some family, but he has no money, no job, no health insurance.

This stuff is all awful, but seeing it through the lens of one person like this is pretty powerful.

Hyped
Jan 28, 2004
Crows are brilliant creatures also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gui3IswQ0DI

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I love all these beast masters anecdotes you guys shared. I now will daydream to train birds on my city to do my will.

USA people: vote yourself some healthcare

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

QuarkJets posted:

Why would that matter? What difference would the cause of mortality make if there's a body bag shortage?

You missed my point. I am worry that I see multiple dead kids of grade school age in the same video, not putting them in the same bag.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

i am harry posted:

Check out this guy's twitter: https://twitter.com/FWucinski

Married to a chinese woman in Wuhan, he and his 3 year old were recently evacuated to California, forced to leave his wife in Wuhan with her infected father who has just died, billed $2,200 for the flight, wife isn't allowed to have any sort of funeral for her dad, might also have coronavirus, and he and his daughter need to get to the east coast where he has some family, but he has no money, no job, no health insurance.

This stuff is all awful, but seeing it through the lens of one person like this is pretty powerful.

He has to think of the child. At least this is safe for the child.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Shaocaholica posted:

Do they eat crows in china?

No, costs too much face.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

RandomBlue posted:

Your father hosed up.

My boss got served a few months ago because one of his trees is apparently growing onto the neighbor's property. It's insanely bougie. People get freaking blood red mad over trees.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

You missed my point. I am worry that I see multiple dead kids of grade school age in the same video, not putting them in the same bag.

Ah I thought you were associating them with the coronavirus outbreak specifically rather than just expressing general woe at the sight of dead kids, which is totally understandable

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm General Woe, hi

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Did the AIDS/alopecia treatment cocktail they experimented with ever go anywhere ?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Burt Sexual posted:

So y’all can track my death spiral

Cruise: 7 Night Western Caribbean & Perfect Day
Ship Name: Symphony Of The Seas
Date of Departure: 14-Mar-2020
Departing From: Miami, Florida

Deadly :synpa:

More like Symphony of disease

Edit: beaten spectacularly like a Uighur with a sniffle holding an umbrella in Hong Kong on the anniversary of tiannemen square.

Kingo Ligma fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 12, 2020

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I make my living training crows to steal cards and cash off of bars and tables across the city. They accept pay in peanuts.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i pray that burt lives; but also that if he doesn't, that he remains lucid enough to post until the end

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

My wife is distant acquaintances with someone who is on the Diamond Princess and they keep posting updates on Facebook

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ruggan posted:

My wife is distant acquaintances with someone who is on the Diamond Princess and they keep posting updates on Facebook
are they interesting, or just "update #4403 still stuck in my cabin" with a bunch of people doing the crying like

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
you know, this thread causes me legitimate moral anguish. the simmering sinophobia makes me want to post human-interest stuff, like the nurse air-hugging her daughter, but the reality is that 90% of the goons will just rubberneck at it like it's a movie and only the chosen few might think "wow! these chinese also feel love and fear as i do???" so i tend to err on the side of not exploiting the tragedy of strangers for the crowd's entertainment

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ruggan posted:

Well don’t leave us hanging!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

hallelujah posted:

you know, this thread causes me legitimate moral anguish. the simmering sinophobia makes me want to post human-interest stuff, like the nurse air-hugging her daughter, but the reality is that 90% of the goons will just rubberneck at it like it's a movie and only the chosen few might think "wow! these chinese also feel love and fear as i do???" so i tend to err on the side of not exploiting the tragedy of strangers for the crowd's entertainment

I regret to inform you that PRC people hate other PRC people too, up to and including boarding up peoples apartments and cops harassing them because they came in from wuhan

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bob dobbs is dead posted:

I regret to inform you that PRC people hate other PRC people too, up to and including boarding up peoples apartments and cops harassing them because they came in from wuhan
that's not hate, it's the effects of prolonged dread, panic, and confinement

i pray this virus doesn't come to america, but if it does, you'll see the same behaviour in cities there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Don’t forget about the attitudes PRC peeps have towards Hong Kongers and vice versa

hallelujah posted:

the ethnic/political majority in every single country of the world is racist against somebody, you weird little man

Best not to be racist in your anti racist screed lol

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 12, 2020