Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
oh poo poo busted.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
I don’t understand how folks are doing just the class story and staying levelled enough. On my knight ive just finished Tatooine and I’m still level 25, which makes alderaan a fair bit into the orange. I’m also using the xp boosts.

What else should I be doing?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

a neurotic ai posted:

I don’t understand how folks are doing just the class story and staying levelled enough. On my knight ive just finished Tatooine and I’m still level 25, which makes alderaan a fair bit into the orange. I’m also using the xp boosts.

For me, it's class + planet arc + story flashpoints at a minimum, with the occasional side/exploration quest. With XP gear and boosts, I'm 75 around Corellia or Ilum.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 8, 2020

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

a neurotic ai posted:

Yeah I find that literally doing only the class missions, even with all available boosts, isn’t quite enough to keep me current, you have to supplement with other activities. Fortunately the xp rewards are tuned so high that you can do whatever you want really. Soloing heroics is fastest, but doing the planetary quest lines is worth it at least once to see the stories for each faction.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

a neurotic ai posted:

Once again I'm going to recommend putting a group together and blowing through some planetary heroic missions. They're not too hard to solo, usually, but XP and rewards increase with group size. You can get a crazy amount of XP very fast this way, and they also flood you with blue gear. If you do this just once or twice on a new character, you can bank enough levels to basically never worry again.

My usual routine with new characters was to run the newbie planet, then do the intro to crafting quests / talk to all the crafting trainers on the fleet (which gave you a crazy amount of XP at low levels for some reason), and then run heroics with my friends until the character was somewhere around level 25-30, which was not a serious time investment at all. From there, you're clear to do only the class story and you should finish comfortably above level 50.

Disclaimer: This is old info because it's been a couple of years since I played this game really heavily.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Cross-Section posted:

For me, it's class + planet arc + story flashpoints at a minimum, with the occasional side/exploration quest. With XP gear and boosts, I'm 75 around Corellia or Ilum.

Mostly this, but I do all the exploration missions. There is a poo poo ton of xp in those for some reason, especially the bonus missions at the end of Balmorra and Tarooine.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Guild boost
Legacy boosts (class mission + exploration)
DvL armor
XP consumable
Level 1 companion from emails
Rested XP boost

etc.

Just opening the mail I get starting a character earns me a level in XP

I also do the story flashpoints as I go

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Knight tends to be quite generous with missions and bonus stages for xp but its story does tend to preclude stopping to pitch in to the wider conflict on a planet as every mission is a race against time before the galaxy is destroyed (and then off to the next one quick quick). If you're not subscribed and don't have fancy event xp armour then you still need to get stuck in to exploration/planetary quests every few planets to stay current. Or do the flashpoints.

When the story gives you reason to raise hell without breaking the flow (like Sith Warrior on Balmorra) you want to take it.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

On double XP days I'll usually hit level 3 on a new character just opening space emails.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Standing offer for anyone on Star Forge who wants to run through heroics, ping me on a discord and I can help you.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Are there any in game bonuses if you sign up for EA's vault access subscription thing?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nope

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It seems the Factor Jarvus bilocation bug is still a thing.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Y'know what would be a cool weapon for the cartel market? A vibroblade rifle. Just grab one of the early game rifle's, change the grip so you use it like a club.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Siegkrow posted:

Y'know what would be a cool weapon for the cartel market? A vibroblade rifle. Just grab one of the early game rifle's, change the grip so you use it like a club.

If only you could use the Zakuulan Exile rifle like that. I guess you'd cut your fingers off though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Siegkrow posted:

I've repeatedly asked Nonentity for a lightsaber that's just a stick with the sound effect someone making lightsaber noises themselves but noooooo immersion. But a flying log with a bike bell is perfectly okay.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

I still want my dancing platform mount. <:mad:>

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Bilirubin posted:

Just opening the mail I get starting a character earns me a level in XP

That takes more time than grinding mobs, though. :downsrim:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

You shouldn't have to grind anything in this game haha.

See the assholes who do nothing but repeatedly kill the entry mobs in KP and reset and repeat for conquest XP. I can't see how they think that's fun.

If only we had a developer in this thread who could convince the boss to nerf that just so I can thrive in the tears of Conquesters.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Medullah posted:

You shouldn't have to grind anything in this game haha.

See the assholes who do nothing but repeatedly kill the entry mobs in KP and reset and repeat for conquest XP. I can't see how they think that's fun.

If only we had a developer in this thread who could convince the boss to nerf that just so I can thrive in the tears of Conquesters.
There was a dude in the guild I was in who did nothing but kill the first bosses adds in the Crisis on Umbara FP over and over and over until he got bored and left to join some guild where people would do it with him. I didn't understand it at all.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

That's nothing, on these very forums back at launch someone admitted to staying in the first area you come to on Korriban grinding K'lor'slugs until he was like level 3 or 4 because the last MMO he had played was Everquest and he thought that's just what you were supposed to do.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Moon Slayer posted:

That's nothing, on these very forums back at launch someone admitted to staying in the first area you come to on Korriban grinding K'lor'slugs until he was like level 3 or 4 because the last MMO he had played was Everquest and he thought that's just what you were supposed to do.

I mean, I've done that by chance, nowadays getting up to lvl 4 takes like 3 minutes of killing slugs, and most of that time I spent it checking my skills lol

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Moon Slayer posted:

At least that's an honest mistake. This dude just optimised a late-game FP run and died over and over to make number go up for the guild and thus get slightly better gear at a slower rate than just actually running Red Reaper over and over like everyone else was.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Moon Slayer posted:

That was me hahahaha.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Yo is the game's script online anywhere?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

New patch is up and has a couple of cutscenes that address the choices you made in Jedi Under Siege.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

New patch is up

Yeah it's awesome, 12 Bug Reports in 20 minutes of gameplay. The naked comps in SH bug is back with a vengeance it seems, there were like 12 of them in my Jugg's SH and they would randomly disappear only to be replaced by a different comp.

Also this expansion has been around for 4 months and the Embrace the Pain Tactical still hasn't been made available. :bang:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Also this expansion has been around for 4 months and the Embrace the Pain Tactical still hasn't been made available. :bang:

I'm sure it'll be on Kai tonight!

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!
So I'm just finishing up my last class to finish off all the class stories and am looking at making a Bounty Hunter (my first class to 50 before expansions) with a skip token to get to new stuff. I first leveled Powertech and am now finishing Commando on Trooper, so I've played both subclasses effectively. However, I haven't played Powertech for ages, so I have no idea what its current state is. I do mostly solo play with occasional group dungeons or whatever and never PvP. If I've enjoyed both types of ability sets at one point or another, which would you guys suggest might be better to actually play the newer content with?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Right now Pyrotech Powertech is my #1 favorite DPS. They are still in a rough spot in PvP compared to Mercs, but you said you don't PvP. So much fire everywhere.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

Medullah posted:

Right now Pyrotech Powertech is my #1 favorite DPS. They are still in a rough spot in PvP compared to Mercs, but you said you don't PvP. So much fire everywhere.

Awesome. I'll probably just make a new version of my existing Powertech then (since I don't want to bother leveling him through every expansion). I remember liking Powertech a ton at release.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Their main drawbacks in PvE are being melee with no AoE DR, the strictest resource management in the game, and having no real aggro dump. Otherwise Meteor Brawler (even after the nerf) and Superheated Fuel are probably the most op Set Bonus/Tactical combo in the game in terms of raw damage potential.

In PvP you just got to learn to be sneaky and not present a target which is impossible in Arenas and counter intuitive for a heavy armor Tank AC. Don't try to 1-on-1 anyone good and don't get separated from the pack, the PT should be the one doing the separating. Yeah their defenses are a bit weak but they still have the only AoE hard stun and are the only AC that can set up 3 single-target hard stuns before capping resolve which is monstrous in terms of cleave potential and dealing with healer/tank pairs. Travel with Lightning Sorcs I would recommend. PT's are basically underpowered solo while being crazy overpowered in a good premade.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Their main drawbacks in PvE are being melee with no AoE DR, the strictest resource management in the game, and having no real aggro dump. Otherwise Meteor Brawler (even after the nerf) and Superheated Fuel are probably the most op Set Bonus/Tactical combo in the game in terms of raw damage potential.

In PvP you just got to learn to be sneaky and not present a target which is impossible in Arenas and counter intuitive for a heavy armor Tank AC. Don't try to 1-on-1 anyone good and don't get separated from the pack, the PT should be the one doing the separating. Yeah their defenses are a bit weak but they still have the only AoE hard stun and are the only AC that can set up 3 single-target hard stuns before capping resolve which is monstrous in terms of cleave potential and dealing with healer/tank pairs. Travel with Lightning Sorcs I would recommend. PT's are basically underpowered solo while being crazy overpowered in a good premade.

I mean, in solo PvE does aggro dump really matter? I don't think I've switched my companion off of healer since switching their spec was an option.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Wow, two characters I was not expecting to see again

Aryn and Zeerid (and presumably his daughter) from the Deceived tie-in novel

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Cross-Section posted:

Wow, two characters I was not expecting to see again

Aryn and Zeerid (and presumably his daughter) from the Deceived tie-in novel

There are tie-in novels?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Zelmel posted:

I mean, in solo PvE does aggro dump really matter? I don't think I've switched my companion off of healer since switching their spec was an option.

Solo PvE no. Aggro dump is for raiding, keeping the boss off you.

You should try putting your companion on DPS. For most fights they'll tear through enemies super quick. You may need to rest after a fight but the time spent doing that is easily saved by shortening fights.

Edit - And if your companion has aggro, remember you can heal them instantly after a fight by mounting and then unmounting

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

sassassin posted:

There are tie-in novels?
IIRC three novels and three trades worth of comics.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

sassassin posted:

There are tie-in novels?

Arquinsiel posted:

IIRC three novels and three trades worth of comics.

Yup. Deceived came out before the game even did, and it was quite good (at least compared to the other books).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

Medullah posted:

Solo PvE no. Aggro dump is for raiding, keeping the boss off you.

You should try putting your companion on DPS. For most fights they'll tear through enemies super quick. You may need to rest after a fight but the time spent doing that is easily saved by shortening fights.

Edit - And if your companion has aggro, remember you can heal them instantly after a fight by mounting and then unmounting

Thanks for the advice, I'll give this a go when I make the push to finish the Trooper story (finally) today and leave behind the republic forever.