Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Keeshhound posted:

Has anyone done story where it turns out that all of Superman's rogues are actually on the government's payroll to keep him entertained so he doesn't decide to remake the world in his image?

"Yes, I know he's Clark Kent. I get paid 12 million dollars to do something stupidly illegal where he can punch me, then I go to jail for a month, and get quietly released until it's my turn to be a 'problem' again. No, we will not try to 'raise the stakes' by attacking his loved ones, that's a stupid idea, and none of us are going to to gently caress with the gravy train anyway."

This is an amazing idea.

I guess the twist is whether it's:

A.) Superman accidentally kills someone and all the "villains" quit

B.) The Justice League finds out and debates whether to tell Superman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Keeshhound posted:

Has anyone done story where it turns out that all of Superman's rogues are actually on the government's payroll to keep him entertained so he doesn't decide to remake the world in his image?

"Yes, I know he's Clark Kent. I get paid 12 million dollars to do something stupidly illegal where he can punch me, then I go to jail for a month, and get quietly released until it's my turn to be a 'problem' again. No, we will not try to 'raise the stakes' by attacking his loved ones, that's a stupid idea, and none of us are going to to gently caress with the gravy train anyway."

Gaiman kind of did that in "Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader", except it was Alfred keeping Bruce occupied

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Red posted:

This is an amazing idea.

I think the most interesting outcome is that Clark finds out and has to grapple with the idea that the world is *that* scared of him, but that's also the potential story beat that I expect would get bungled the hardest.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
They did a version of that for Batman when they killed him off (What ever happened to the caped crusader). All of his rogues were part of Alfred's acting troupe* from back in his carny days, so they would go and commit petty crimes, Batman would stop him, and that would keep Bruce's depression from spiraling out of control. Unfortunately, two things happen, 1) Batman finds out that his whole crusade has been a lie and 2) One of the actors goes off script and ends up killing Batman.

BTW, Alfred Pennyworth is the only character who has more bullshit explanations and a deeper back story than Batman himself. He was a butler for the Waynes, but before that he was part of a traveling acting troupe, but before that he was part of MI6, but before that he was a medic in the Brittish army, but before that he was a bare knuckle boxer, but before that he worked on a shrimp boat...

ED: Beaten

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
There was also that SNL skit with The Rock playing Clark, who's actually incredibly terrible at keeping his identity secret. His muscles are huge, his costume pokes out of his regular sleeves, he answers to "Superman" even when wearing his glasses. Everybody at the Planet is laughing at him behind his back.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Flash villains also do this-- these goofy-rear end motherfuckers will often send one of their own like Captain Boomerang to do a big attention-grabbing gimmick crime that he'll get caught and thrown into jail for, while the actual crime happens at the other end of the city and is some competent-but-boring theft. Then the Rogues can bust Boomerang out a bit later on the downlow, and everyone gets paid.

Concepts like that date back as far as the 1950s.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Red posted:

This is an amazing idea.

B2) Batman says "you better not undo all my work."

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Keeshhound posted:

I think the most interesting outcome is that Clark finds out and has to grapple with the idea that the world is *that* scared of him, but that's also the potential story beat that I expect would get bungled the hardest.

Welllllllll, but we kind of got that via the letter written by Luthor in Red Son. I think you can certainly put on a new spin on that, but I feel like Clark having to remember to exercise restraint and feeling isolated is a theme they remember to plug in once every few years.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

B2) Batman says "you better not undo all my work."

The more I think about it, the more I love the idea about the League in a lead cell, debating this issue. The only way it works is if Batman tells the rest of the JL to shut the gently caress up.

Batman: Of course we don't tell him. I can hire all new actors. We need Superman for global threats; otherwise, we just let him rescue cats from trees.
Martian Manhunter: Do we really not trust Superman?
Batman: It's not about trust. You manage personalities in a team. Clark needs to be a hero. We're simply... training him to be the hero we need.
Flash: Then why does this feel like we're doing something wrong?
Wonder Woman: Because we are.
Batman: Fine. Who wants to tell him?

Batman: That's what I thought. Give me a few weeks, and I'll have replacements ready to go.
Martian Manhunter: If he discovers the truth, we will have all been complicit in this deception.
Aquaman: Not me. I'm not participating in ... this. I have a kingdom to-
Batman: It's too late for that. We all know, and we're all going to have at least some measure of culpability. Go back to your routines, and let's get out of this box before He comes back.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Red posted:

Welllllllll, but we kind of got that via the letter written by Luthor in Red Son. I think you can certainly put on a new spin on that, but I feel like Clark having to remember to exercise restraint and feeling isolated is a theme they remember to plug in once every few years.

I think my pitch would be to have the first half open with Luthor explaining to a new "villain" that their purpose is to distract Clark from becoming a tyrant, but then show how almost everything in Clark's life is actually a Truman show style hoax meant to keep him content dealing with petty crime and the occasional supervillain. Then when the twist happens, Clark goes and mopes for a while in the fortress of solitude. Intersperse with Luthor expositing that they started the Superman Containment Project to prevent him from becoming a power-mad tyrant, but that it's purpose has gradually shifted to keeping him distracted from the deeper injustices of capitalist society. Cut to Clark emerging from the fortress saying that he needs a change of perspective, and that Nicaragua is lovely this time of year. The story then ends on Luthor's horrified face as he watches a news report on how anti-authoritarian uprisings around the world are now benefiting from Superman's support.

I mostly just like the idea of it being the inverse of the doctor dinosaur comic; "But with your power you could rule the planet as it's GOD!" "But I don't want to be a god, I want for people to live free and happy lives as best they can, everywhere it's possible."

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 12, 2020

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
If Batman did it, it would be a quietly perfect plan until one tiny piece went awry.

If the US government did it, it would be handled by two competing departments, one of which also regulates jewelry because of obscure interactions with Green Lantern, with no information on each other's plans, resulting in instability in Khandaq and an increasingly expensive 'War on Superman'.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I feel like having Batman (willingly) go along with it is a step too far.

I mean, even at his most untrusting and paranoid, all his contingencies were made with the hope that he would never need to use them.

Course he did create a surveillance state in several continuities so what do I know

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 12, 2020

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Keeshhound posted:

I mostly just like the idea of it being the inverse of the doctor dinosaur comic; "But with your power you could rule the planet as it's GOD!" "But I don't want to be a god, I want for people to live free and happy lives as best they can, everywhere it's possible."
If you want to get double reverse mindfuck about it, have Clark seem really calm about the entire thing as it unravels, being gentle to the greatest extent he can with the paranoid cases behind it, and when one of them finally calls him on why, he says, with a certain weary warmth, "Do you think this is the first time?"

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Elfface posted:

If Batman did it, it would be a quietly perfect plan until one tiny piece went awry.

I think it's best to frame Batman as having a reason, not much different than the Luthor letter.

"People don't fear you because you save kids from drowning and and burning houses; they know you could wipe out the planet in minutes, but you don't - because you're Superman. If you want to take away a symbol of hope, go ahead. We paid an unemployed actor to dress up like an elf and throw exploding presents at a God so that people could feel safe.

Because they were, Clark."

Keeshhound posted:

I think my pitch would be to have the first half open with Luthor explaining to a new "villain" that their purpose is to distract Clark from becoming a tyrant, but then show how almost everything in Clark's life is actually a Truman show style hoax meant to keep him content dealing with petty crime and the occasional supervillain. Then when the twist happens, Clark goes and mopes for a while in the fortress of solitude. Intersperse with Luthor expositing that they started the Superman Containment Project to prevent him from becoming a power-mad tyrant, but that it's purpose has gradually shifted to keeping him distracted from the deeper injustices of capitalist society. Cut to Clark emerging from the fortress saying that he needs a change of perspective, and that Nicaragua is lovely this time of year. The story then ends on Luthor's horrified face as he watches a news report on how anti-authoritarian uprisings around the world are now benefiting from Superman's support.

I love the idea of the Superman Show, but I think him just leaving is the only ending that actually makes sense.

Here's a funny comic to stay on topic:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Keromaru5 posted:

There was also that SNL skit with The Rock playing Clark, who's actually incredibly terrible at keeping his identity secret. His muscles are huge, his costume pokes out of his regular sleeves, he answers to "Superman" even when wearing his glasses. Everybody at the Planet is laughing at him behind his back.

Or Conan O'Brien playing Moleculo.

I think the BEST twist is that Clark knows the whole time and does it anyways because it makes people feel safe.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Keeshhound posted:

If I’m remembering right this is exactly the twist of Mark Millar’s Marvel Knights Spider-Man miniseries from like 2002 or so.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Na the best one is Alfred paying everyone to laugh at Bruce's jokes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Keeshhound posted:

Intersperse with Luthor expositing that they started the Superman Containment Project to prevent him from becoming a power-mad tyrant, but that it's purpose has gradually shifted to keeping him distracted from the deeper injustices of capitalist society. Cut to Clark emerging from the fortress saying that he needs a change of perspective, and that Nicaragua is lovely this time of year. The story then ends on Luthor's horrified face as he watches a news report on how anti-authoritarian uprisings around the world are now benefiting from Superman's support.

Alternatively:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Splint Chesthair posted:

If I’m remembering right this is exactly the twist of Mark Millar’s Marvel Knights Spider-Man miniseries from like 2002 or so.

Pretty much. The rich were funding super villains to keep the heroes from go after the real evils in the world.

You can easily see Trump being involved. Great villains, all the best powers.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Keeshhound posted:

Wasn't this kinda/sorta the idea behind the Grounded arc?

On the other hand, The Authority tackled this. "In between supervillains, why aren't we deposing violent dictators and the like?"

Unlucky7 posted:

I feel like having Batman (willingly) go along with it is a step too far.

I mean, even at his most untrusting and paranoid, all his contingencies were made with the hope that he would never need to use them.

Course he did create a surveillance state in several continuities so what do I know

Batman was the only member of the JL, as I recall, that objected to mind-wiping criminals. Rather violently.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TheCenturion posted:

Batman was the only member of the JL, as I recall, that objected to mind-wiping criminals. Rather violently.

If Batman had the ability to do the mind-wiping, you know he'd be completely in favor of it.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Toshimo posted:

Unavailable... in America???
must be far from home

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
that crossover with knight rider was the worst

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Frank is a SovCit.

Is this the prequel to that Batman ice cream panel?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

That’s funny until you realize there are millions of dudes out there who have the exact same thought, right down to “I’m the Punisher.”

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Punisher Classic #1 (1989)
W: Mike Baron
P: Mike Vosburg

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

prefect posted:

If Batman had the ability to do the mind-wiping, you know he'd be completely in favor of it.
Batman is the hero who gets to have his cake and eat it at every opportunity, and then choose to mope in the rain and whine anyway.

Splint Chesthair posted:

That’s funny until you realize there are millions of dudes out there who have the exact same thought, right down to “I’m the Punisher.”
An actual police precinct in Kentucky tried to do this:

Until people said "loving no that's too far even for us."

But they tried, and got far enough that the cars actually rolled out PR before getting removed. It even has the dogwhistle "Blue Lives Matter" on it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

mind the walrus posted:

Batman is the hero who gets to have his cake and eat it at every opportunity, and then choose to mope in the rain and whine anyway.

An actual police precinct in Kentucky tried to do this:

Until people said "loving no that's too far even for us."

But they tried, and got far enough that the cars actually rolled out PR before getting removed. It even has the dogwhistle "Blue Lives Matter" on it.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Nessus posted:

If you want to get double reverse mindfuck about it, have Clark seem really calm about the entire thing as it unravels, being gentle to the greatest extent he can with the paranoid cases behind it, and when one of them finally calls him on why, he says, with a certain weary warmth, "Do you think this is the first time?"
they break into the fortress of solitude and superman is in there eating hostess pies. he's been sending his robot supermen to take care of all the minor stuff and supes only really shows up for meetings and supervillains.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

InsertPotPun posted:

they break into the fortress of solitude and superman is in there eating hostess pies. he's been sending his robot supermen to take care of all the minor stuff and supes only really shows up for meetings and supervillains.

Yes. This is the right answer. Silver Age Forever!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

InsertPotPun posted:

“Superman, how can you ignore the world’s problems?”
“How can you ignore the tasty filling of Hostess Cream Pies? Mmm mmm! They’re super!”

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

That's an lot of words to say "Don't be me, be better than me," but I guess comic book characters aren't known for brevity.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cabbit posted:

That's an lot of words to say "Don't be me, be better than me," but I guess comic book characters aren't known for brevity.

It's like he's telling them that society gives them great power and they have a responsibility to use it well. Or something along those lines. I'm sure there's a better way of saying it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Uthor posted:

It's like he's telling them that society gives them great power and they have a responsibility to use it well. Or something along those lines. I'm sure there's a better way of saying it.
Ils doivent envisager qu'une grande responsabilité est la suite inséparable d'un grand pouvoir.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cabbit posted:

The writer is trying to communicate to people who are definitely not going to pick up on anything subtle or unstated.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Uthor posted:

"guys, we live in a society"

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Red posted:

“Superman, how can you ignore the world’s problems?”
“How can you ignore the tasty filling of Hostess Cream Pies? Mmm mmm! They’re super!”
"I'm not ignoring them, I'm sending robots. Now hurry Flash: you have to marry a gorilla in ten minutes or the world will end!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

InsertPotPun posted:

"I'm not ignoring them, I'm sending robots. Now hurry Flash: you have to marry a gorilla in ten minutes or the world will end!"

Superman finds out about their plot and does the exact same thing to all the other heroes but with robots and makes their supervillains hella goofy, exposing his last and greatest secret superpower: super passive-aggressiveness.