Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LXIV: A Monster Punch

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO!
(Hey, the reason I put the video thing at the end is usually I would like you to read the thing I took the last 2-3 hours writing before the cliff notes version. But this you definitely need to see!)

NEW Music: Evil Gate Opener I
(This only ever plays here.)

Ugh... Lord Rasputin... uhh...

By the way... That Night Queen fight with transformed Veronica Vera? Unlike a certain earlier Sapientes Gladio jobber who turned into a weird rockman guy with a pincer arm then turned back to normal and fell through a hole in the wall thus he didn't have a confirmed corpse, this was a real match there. Veronica Vera is loving DEAD! Like full stop. We killed her. Oh, you thought she was going to have more history with Lucia or something? That's cute you think Lucia gets development. Sorry to break it but Lucia is this game's Lulu FFX in which she drove the plot for a hot minute and... is just kind of here now... loving Gepetto at least gets a taste of pathos late game. Lucia? Naw...

Anyway, Rasputin is ready to go, bro!

...Do a suicide...

<gasp>

Psyche! gently caress your physics or logistics! That Rasputin doom airship that is at the very least roughly in the ballpark of 800 feet top to bottom was secretly parked just below the Winter Palace, a structure which is three stories tall and thus maybe 40-50 feet total including roof ornaments and foundation. Also, I guess the guy can wall-jump given his trajectory to make it a good 30-40 feet away and be all smug about escaping to safety.

Nobody knows what to make of Rasputin's grand back-up plan of... just flying this airship across the river, I guess... I mean, that's literally what he said last time. He's going to a stronghold across the river. It'll probably take him more time to disembark from this airship to the ground than this whole posturing fiasco occurring.

However...

Rude Hero...

Has other plans...

NEW Music: Evil Gate Opener II
(This also only ever plays here.)

And thus did the Yuri Punch Instinct grow three times that day...

Yuri-Amon is not playing about. It is go time! We didn't kill a weird Turkish sage for no reason to get to this point.

The Sapientes Gladio airship AA guns (who are manning them at this point, we already killed all of Lenny's jobbers shock troopers that seemed to be the core of the organization's base personnel) try their best against Amon-Yuri.

They were not prepared for Yuri just clotheslining their entire offensive. To be honest, nobody was ready for that.

Rasputin gets mildly concerned about the fact half of his airship's defensive capabilities just exploded. That's probably the most on the ball he's been in a while.

However, what is going on behind him is likely much more relevant. Namely...

Devilman Yuri Hyuga and a curled fist.

Amon?! But how?! The Mistletoe...?

Oh, poo poo, dawg! Did leaving your end game plans in the hand of unvetted subordinates come to bite you in the rear end again? It's like you should maybe personally oversee a plan or two instead of outsourcing poo poo to hired hands that perhaps aren't entirely on the level. Granted, on the other hand, if you think about it... There is zero reason Yuri would have gotten involved with any of this adventure if not for Rasputin's mob starting poo poo. Like, I don't see a decent reason he would have stopped being depressed and drinking with Gepetto other than the occasional loving up the German Army back in Domremy if he had not gotten cursed by Sapientes Gladio. Why would Yuri care about an underhanded but publically legit coup in Russia by Rasputin? The guy is The Godslayer not the Regional Politically Nebulous Usurper Slayer. There is so much of your planning that is just sitting on your own balls, Grigori.

YAAAAH!!

We have not actually seen the extent of Sith Lord Rasputin's offensive capabilities. Sure, he has an AOE attack that can knock out every soldier and all present nobles high as a kite for about a city block radius. And possess people. And his defensive magic is OP. But how about his Magic Missile prowess?

<runs forward> Yuri!!

Argh! Demon!!

Yeah, Yuri-Amon just cracks his neck and flexes his shoulder and no-sells that bullshit.

Amon-Yuri clenches his fist. You know what time it is? It's time to loving PUNCH GRIGORI RASPUTIN!!

NEW Music: Evil Gate Opener III
(You guessed it. This only plays here.)

YEAH YEAH YEAH!!!

OK... Rasputin does still have that invincible Asmodeus shield business. But Yuri... What if... What if...

What if you punched harder... NO! Not like that...

HARDER!!

ARGH!! UGH!!

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!

AAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHH!!

NO YURI HYUGA!! HAAAAAAARDER!! PUNCH!! GIMME THAT HOT BLOODED SHONEN ANIME poo poo, MY DUDE!!

YEAH YEAH YEAH!! That's the stuff!! Bleed tears you're punching so hard!!

You were not prepared for how loving hard Yuri Hyuga finally punched Grigori Rasputin.

Rasputin just got punched so hard by our Rude Hero it blew up an entire airship. That was an AOE punch that uppercut a loving ZEPPLIN out of the goddamn sky! That is the hypest poo poo it's been in any JRPG I've done an LP of in quite some time! gently caress yeah!

Awroo! (Holy poo poo!)

Yuri?!

Don't worry about Yuri, Karin. He too is hype as poo poo about how hard he just wrecked Rasputin's day.

Meanwhile, Nicolai is happy he took that bathroom break and didn't follow-up on helping out Veronica in defending Rasputin and watches his encroaching unemployment from Sapientes Gladio from afar. Also, this is apparently the same bridge Rasputin dies on in that bizarre Don Bluth Anastasia movie. Take that as you will...

Music: Evil Gate Opener I
(I lied, it last plays here actually. :v: )

Rasputin survived that. Also he can fly, by the way. But he is... not doing great after that WMD punch from Yuri-Amon.

Argh... My shield... So much power... I suppose... I have no other choice?!
I am not owned... I am NOT owned... poo poo!!

Huh?!

Yo, Rasputin. Your boy Yuri is still here and he has another fist that hasn't done a punch yet...

Amon! I have something to show you! The demon that dwells within meeeee!

<flying off> AHAHAHAHAHA!!

My lord and benefactor, Asmodeus! It is time to fulfill the Soul Pact!! Come to this world and take this place as your holy land!!

Yuri, somewhat slow on the uptake here, begins flying over to stop Rasputin since... this sounds like a bad scene... Rasputin has earned the power of two exclamation points recently...

In the name of the Sword Sages!!

I summon you to this plaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!!

Music: ENDS

This... doesn't seem great. You may have dropped the ball here, Yuri...

To be frank, the fact you just stop and jitter in place as this goes down does not inspire confidence.

<assorted grunts and screams>

Everyone is disoriented by whatever the hell Rasputin just did to complete a Soul Pact with a dark god. But Karin is the first to get it together and witnesses...

OLD Music: ICARO - Song of Spirits

<wide eyed> Huh...?

Behold the final penultimate actually dungeon of Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Disc 1 -- Idar Flamme! Did you know Saint Petersburg had Neamto Float ~ East beneath it this whole time? Welp. Your education on ancient alien artifacts in Russia has begun. Your final reminder that Rasputin loving up an assassination attempt on the Emperor of Russia by pivoting to bombing the capital city with an airship, unleashing a horde of demons, turning his girlfriend into a titty demon, and having a shonen anime fistfight with someone fused with another dark god before summoning an ancient alien Doom Fortress all occurred within the same hour...

Shadow Hearts: Covenant!

Video: Episode 64 Movie
(100% watch this.)

Rasputin Concept Art - I am Grigori Rasputin, and I'm here to ask you a question. Is a man not entitled to his Emperorship of Russia? 'No!' says the man in Washington, 'It belongs to the Romanovs and it's not our business, maybe we will tag in later in the sequel.' 'No!' says the man in the Vatican, 'It belongs to God.' 'No!' says the man in Moscow, 'It belongs to the Romanovs again.' I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... to flip my poo poo and do all the bullshit...

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So yeah, this leads to a doom zeppelin, an Asura's Wrath level good punch, and an evil devil tower erupting from the ground.

NOW this party is as crazy as I remember it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
All while the Tsar and Tsarina are presumably watching this poo poo go down from a palace window and asking to themselves "...Was that under there the entire time?" :confused:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Man, this escalated just so very quickly. I still love that Rasputin’s response to any meaningful setback is to just throw absolutely everything he has at it and hope for the best.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I wonder if Grigori knew that Yuri was depressed as hell and probably wouldn't have bothered if they hadn't poked him with a wizard bullshit stick?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
[Id’s Rasputin speech] And then the man known as Rude Hero punched me in the face!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All while the Tsar and Tsarina are presumably watching this poo poo go down from a palace window and asking to themselves "...Was that under there the entire time?" :confused:

They never believed crazy uncle Antonov.
Said he was a little too inbred

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Where the hell was that hiding!? Was it under the haunted crypt with the secret passage that leads directly outside the throne room?"
".........Wait. Secret passage? Haunted crypt? How did I not know about these!?"
"Later dear, the devil just uppercut a Zeppelin, and our former vizier just summoned an alien space fortress. Wonder if it's anything to do with that alien and his green space-dog the peasants have been talking about?"
"...An alien and his space-dog!? I've been away at the war front for too long..."

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
I was not prepared for how loving hard Rasputin got punched.

Pesky Splinter posted:

"Where the hell was that hiding!? Was it under the haunted crypt with the secret passage that leads directly outside the throne room?"
".........Wait. Secret passage? Haunted crypt? How did I not know about these!?"
"Later dear, the devil just uppercut a Zeppelin, and our former vizier just summoned an alien space fortress. Wonder if it's anything to do with that alien and his green space-dog the peasants have been talking about?"
"...An alien and his space-dog!? I've been away at the war front for too long..."

I feel like those morons just went to bed right after the last scene they were in and it will take a week to notice the flying castle business.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Probably not quite as awesome as that time Punchman Yuri punched out a space god, but on the other hand this was a solo effort and he had way fewer levels.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
That last line of Rasputins makes me realise that Sapientes Gladius is basically latin for Kensai. (Though my disdain for Kensai is due to D&D so, maybe my fault)

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Well this went 1 to 100 pretty fast :stare:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I'll be honest, when Yuri's normal face showed up during the punch, I was half expecting the camera to pan out a bit more and have Albert's ghost back him up like this was Gohan vs Cell.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Nohman posted:

I feel like those morons just went to bed right after the last scene they were in and it will take a week to notice the flying castle business.

And why not? Anastasia's on it, and she handled the last crisis with flying colors. They're in good (12-year-old) hands.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I fully expected St Petersburg to blow up like last time around.
The fact that it instead plunked an ancient doom fortress into the middle of it was a surprise.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I love this. Shadow Hearts: Covenant keeps on delivering in all the best ways. :allears:

achtungnight posted:

Now now, in AD&D Asmodeus is the ruler of Hell, a greater power, a top tier devil deal maker, and a miles long serpent in his true form. If there is some myth is where he’s lame, that’s probably what he wants you to think, not reality.

OminousEdge posted:

I was saving this for later, but to hell with it, now is a good time to reveal this. Dude was hung like a horse. There is a Museum in Russia that apparently has his severed, pickled phallus on display and it is 12 inches long from what I have heard, and am not sure it the pickling left if soft or hard. THAT is why he could likely get all the ladies.

Well I guess now we know the reason Asmodeus formed a pact with ol' Grigori was because of his trouser snake.

Sterski
Jun 30, 2014
For a second I thought Asmodeus just took the form of a final dungeon or something

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Yuri just starts barging into cutscenes now holding half a photo screaming if you've seen this man. Then he winds up another shining burning finger. Sometimes he mixes it up and shining burning fingers before asking about the guy.

Yuri is a land of contrasts.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Thats not zero chill thats some sort of negative chill

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I was really hoping to find a good Rock Me Amadeus cover called Rock Me Asmodeus, but all I could find was some lame dubstep bullshit

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
This is the moment I've been waiting this whole LP for. After playing this game over a decade ago, aside from the ending, this is the only plot point I could remember. Just Grigori Rasputin summoning a giant floating castle over Petrograd.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
This scene is tainted for me since part of the music here when Yuri is wrecking Rasputin's ride loops on repeat in that one scene from Chaos Wars.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

RIP Veronica. You were there, you were angry, and you had boobs and a whip.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

This is only Disc 1? What can beat this scene

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Probably kill another God. Yuri would so very survive (and thrive) in places like the world(s) of Shin Megami Tensei. He has the whole thing down to a T

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

After having been through so much bullshit, typical endgame JRPG shenanigans are just midboss tier enemies to Yuri.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Kemix posted:

Probably kill another God. Yuri would so very survive (and thrive) in places like the world(s) of Shin Megami Tensei. He has the whole thing down to a T

Yeah, which is why I doubt it’ll go that way. This is an early 2000’s JRPG. Games were all about finding ways to kick the main characters in the balls and break them before the end. Yuri’s going to be a bit of a challenge in that regard given he’s already done that, but it’s not impossible. He’s already showing severe depression, has a dead girlfriend, and still has a magic stick slowly destroying his very soul. Not even giving the best punch of his life is likely to fix things for Mr. Hyuga.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
My first Asmodeus was the snake from the Redwall cartoon. He was there to show people eterrrnityyy.

Also I had assumed from the lack of quaking that the castle just popped in magically and then sort of situated itself, like a dog getting comfy.
I like to think it's part of the Asmodeus travel luggage. He's a dark god, you can't expect him to not bring some homey comforts when he's got to pop up somewhere.

Episode LXIII

The Dark Id posted:

Rasputin's fallback retreat is to just dash across a bridge and stopping at the first place on the opposite side

we can maybe set up one four-person Combo to get in some decent damage to speed things up further. But for the most part, more than a 2-3 person combo is the most we're getting in here.

And it's mostly not worth it to bother and just stick to independent attacks just due to all of her AOE spells.
But mostly because every other round, we're likely going to need to heal up folks.

We get another Magic Crest for our troubles. Do you think it's meant to be Hale Break? What the heck is a Hale Beak...?

I think the first can be just "stop". Probably can get rid of the second, since you're saying higher than that is gonna be a challenge.
Third just felt off cause you used "mostly" twice in a row about why combos aren't the best option. I'd change the upper one to "it's not really worth it"
Fourth, did you mean to say Hale or Hail?

Zagglezig fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 12, 2020

Thyself D. Mad
Jan 14, 2015
That... That was a surprisingly well put together Cutscene. The animators for this really gave it their all.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This is a high point, but don't worry. Disc 2 is a wild ride.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

Shitenshi posted:

This scene is tainted for me since part of the music here when Yuri is wrecking Rasputin's ride loops on repeat in that one scene from Chaos Wars.

Oh thank god, I'm not the only one.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I was not prepared for how loving hard Yuri Hyuga finally punched Grigori Rasputin.

How the gently caress did I miss this game?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I was not prepared for how loving hard Yuri Hyuga finally punched Grigori Rasputin.

How the gently caress did I miss this game?

I think a LOT of people slept on this game (and the first and third one's too, of course), but it honestly feels like a MUCH better game than it's original straight up, which not a whole lot of games do (Kingdom Hearts 2 and Megan 2 are a pair of games that come immediately to mind) that one-ups their originals (though I suppose SH1 WAS technically a sequel to Koduluka).

I've seen a number of games who get sequels (Looking at YOU Xenosaga 2 and Megaman Starforce 2 right off the top of my head) that are low points riding on the success of their first games so hard they kill the franchise either outright or are such low points even an even better third game, kills the series because they were such low points (still looking at those latter two games there. If you think I'm holding a grudge against them in particular, then you'd be right)

rbakervv
Apr 1, 2008

For the Emperor!!

Morgan Freeman Voice: The last thing to go though Rasputin's head, (other then Yuri's fist,) was to wonder how the hell this Rude Hero had gotten the better of him.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Whenever people say that anime is completely worthless or all just weird porn, I remember the Yuri Hyuga superpunch and know that there is still good in anime.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
On a slightly different note: I played this game when it was new (one million years ago) and I remember really liking Nicolai as a character at the time. Reading this LP now, I can't remember why I liked him so much. :sigh:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Albert: See Yuri when an evil villain thinks theyre making a big getaway thats when they have their defenses down.
Yuri: You just say that cuz you got beaned in the back of the head

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Albert: See Yuri when an evil villain thinks theyre making a big getaway thats when they have their defenses down.
Yuri: You just say that cuz you got beaned in the back of the head

God that came out of nowhere and made me laugh so loving hard because it was just so stupid.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I generally like Koudelka (plotwise; gameplay wise Koudelka is terrible) and the first game better than this one, because I liked the more serious overall tone. But Covenant is still a drat good game and the high moments (like the ultimate punch) are still real high.

Basically all 3 are well made examples of what they're going for, I just like what Koudelka and Shadow Hearts 1 are going for better as a matter of taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

Crowetron posted:

Whenever people say that anime is completely worthless or all just weird porn, I remember the Yuri Hyuga superpunch and know that there is still good in anime.

And he doesn’t need to add a catchphrase before or after it either. Nothing like “Dragon Slave!” or “You are already dead.”