Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Ihmemies posted:

our camera club's loaner closet. .

What an amazing resource.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Ihmemies posted:

My sony A7 II broke on saturday mid-shoot. "Camera error" on screen, and shutter decided to stay permanently closed.

Of course it was my only camera so I had to leave and get another one :v: Took a 5DII with 35/2 IS USM from our camera club's loaner closet. What an annoying camera to use. The viewfinder tells nothing about the image and I didn't like the AF system at all. Well at least it was better than no camera at all!

Sony had under 4500 shots and it is still under warranty. Time to take it to a shop for repairs.
News flash - the camera with decent ergonomics & non confusing menu system and that didn't break down, is superior to the VCRcamera that broke down...

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Well the 5D II is 11 years old. It’s very much a center point AF focus/recompose camera. And what do you want an optical viewfinder to say? It shows metering and settings. That’s good enough to get the job done on moser DSLRs.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I did it I ordered a x-pro3 and it’s arriving today I’ve become the monster

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Now pair it with a 200mm f/2.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

Now pair it with a 200mm f/2.

CHAOS REIGNS

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I did it I ordered a x-pro3 and it’s arriving today I’ve become the monster

Only registered members can see post attachments!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Tell me why I shouldn't buy a Fuji xt20

Mega Comrade posted:

Have you held one? They are tiny. Some people find this a good thing but I found it incredibly uncomfortable.

Capable camera though.

This! I bought an XT-10 because I wanted something 'small', but ended up wishing i'd bought the XT-1. It's only a little bit bigger, the EVF is WAY better, and it's much more comfortable to hold, especially without a thumb grip. Definitely try both to make sure you don't miss out!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

bloops posted:

Well the 5D II is 11 years old. It’s very much a center point AF focus/recompose camera. And what do you want an optical viewfinder to say? It shows metering and settings. That’s good enough to get the job done on moser DSLRs.

I like EVF because it shows how the bokeh looks like, exposure, white balance, all that. So it's more like what you see is what you get than SLR cameras. Film era SLR camera viewfinders were at least big and sharp, 5DII didn't have even that going on. Well it did the job and I returned it in the evening, so it was good enough of course.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

loving hell. That E-M1 III update... Im afraid Olympus is p much done, folks. Definitely contemplating a system switch now.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well Olympus could release a full frame system some day. It shouldn't be too hard for them. They can produce decent crop cameras and lenses, and they have produced good ff cameras & lenses back in the day.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Idk I think that they are going in the right direction with the price drop and the new "pro" kit lens style zoom. m43's strengths have always been value and size and this is a step in that direction.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I’ve got a nice set of m4/3 lenses and I still like my E-M1, but that thing is 6.5 years old now and there have been almost zero gains in IQ / sensor performance during that time. I appreciate what Olympus are doing - best in class IBIS, live ND, pro capture, hand-held high-res and so on -, but that doesn’t excuse the ancient sensor. I’d love to upgrade, but I can’t justify it. Meanwhile, the A7rIV is at 61 loving megapickles and produces absolutely stunning images. With the 24-70 it would take up about as much space in my bag as the E-M1 plus 12-100...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'd love a high mp camera but then I'd have to drop a few grand on a CPU to actually view them without giving up the hobby in frustration.

But for real I liked my 16mp oly images more then my current 20mp gx8. I don't do billboard prints though.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I don't like my A7II's high-rez sensor. I wish it would be 12-15mpix. A7S models are so much more expensive though, so I have to live with the useless pixels my 50 year old Nikkor lenses can never resolve.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’ve heard above a certain MP size it’s just over kill used for marketing hype. Like anything above 26 I think it was? Any truth to that?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Depends on usage. Personally I see a lot of value in a high MP sensor in terms of cropping flexibility.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I’ve heard above a certain MP size it’s just over kill used for marketing hype. Like anything above 26 I think it was? Any truth to that?

Depends on your lenses and print size but fundamentally no. Doing a large print from a 61MP camera with a sharp lens you'll definitely be able to tell the difference. And being able to crop heavily is a nice bonus.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Ihmemies posted:

I don't like my A7II's high-rez sensor. I wish it would be 12-15mpix. A7S models are so much more expensive though, so I have to live with the useless pixels my 50 year old Nikkor lenses can never resolve.

Would shooting in crop mode help with this, or is the problem a matter of pixel density?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
it has to do with the circle of confusion for those older lenses having a larger radius than the pixel pitch, so shooting in crop mode wouldn't really help, yeah

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I shoot with 46mp cameras for work, and most of it ends up on the web, with maybe 10% as marketing for print.

Providing clients with high res images allows them to make 16:9 verticals out of landscape shots easily, or crop to a smaller section of a file and get 2 or more useable images out of 1 original.

High res cameras are great.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

That all makes sense. I thought it sounded kind of bullshitty

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
It does somewhat depend on the lens' resolving power, subject distance and shooting conditions, no? For a given lens, there is a point where adding more MP isn't really giving you much more cropping flexibility. However, for 35mm sensors with quality lenses, I'm pretty sure that point is above 26MP.

nop
Mar 31, 2010

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'd love a high mp camera but then I'd have to drop a few grand on a CPU to actually view them without giving up the hobby in frustration.

But for real I liked my 16mp oly images more then my current 20mp gx8. I don't do billboard prints though.

As a test my 8700k handles 100mp GFX raws just fine. I'm sure there are tons of CPUs sub $400 that would handle high res no problem.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
The new Canon R5 looks pretty sweet. I'm talking aesthetically, not just features.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Given Canon says 8K video IBIS and 20fps..... the rest of the insane rumoured specs are looking real too.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

So I'm thinking of finally upgrading my xpro1 mainly because the autofocus is so bad at taking pictures of moving kids. Given I couldn't give two shits about video and I can borrow something better easily is there much of a difference between the XT2 and 3 (and maybe 4 in a few weeks) for stills mainly?

iammeandsoareyou
Oct 27, 2007
Nothing to see here

Aargh posted:

So I'm thinking of finally upgrading my xpro1 mainly because the autofocus is so bad at taking pictures of moving kids. Given I couldn't give two shits about video and I can borrow something better easily is there much of a difference between the XT2 and 3 (and maybe 4 in a few weeks) for stills mainly?

I think the X-T3 has a better auto focus system but other than slightly higher resolution my understanding is the improvements over the X-T2 only really matter to videographers. I think all the XH-1 deals have dried up by now, but if you can find one it is a noticeable improvement over the X-T2 in a number of small little ways that really add up, especially the IBIS system. It is significantly larger form factor, and you can't use a screw in cable release ,but if those don't matter to you in a contest between an X-H1 and X-T2 at the same price I would choose the former.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Dang that new Canon looks dope. Don’t they have awful sensors though? gently caress, im seriously eyeing the A7R IV now, only thing holding me back apart from the price is the quickness of Sony upgrade cycles.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

What’s a good prime wide angle for the x-pro? I have a 35mm and the 18-55 zoom looking for something to compliment them

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

What’s a good prime wide angle for the x-pro? I have a 35mm and the 18-55 zoom looking for something to compliment them

Either the 23 f/2 or 16 f/2.8, depending on how wide you want your wide to go. I got the 16 and it’s fantastic, snaps to autofocus incredibly quickly and images are real sharp.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Aargh posted:

The X-T3 does have significantly better focus tracking, and maybe more importantly, better face/eye detection compared to the X-T2 and X-H1. For your use case I'd probably try to snap up a nice X-T3 shortly after the X-T4 drops. And honestly, unless you're dead set on sticking with Fuji, I'd be looking at some of Sony's offerings because their face detection and tracking is well ahead of the pack.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

If you do want to switch to Sony I’d recommend going into a camera shop just to toy around with the menus. They’re kinda trash as far as interface goes and for some people it can kill their want to use their cameras. For others it’s a minor thing so it’s best to see which camp using them drops you in before assuming you won’t mind

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

If you do want to switch to Sony I’d recommend going into a camera shop just to toy around with the menus. They’re kinda trash as far as interface goes and for some people it can kill their want to use their cameras. For others it’s a minor thing so it’s best to see which camp using them drops you in before assuming you won’t mind

Very true, then again I was able to wrap my mind around Olympus menus somehow

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Wengy posted:

Dang that new Canon looks dope. Don’t they have awful sensors though? gently caress, im seriously eyeing the A7R IV now, only thing holding me back apart from the price is the quickness of Sony upgrade cycles.
They haven't been quite up to Sony in specs but it's overblown by internet forum pixel peepers. They're definitely not 'awful'. Certainly not to the level Sony's ergonomics and menus are awful...

Great photographers keep using Canon sensors to make world class photos. Because Canon know how to make good systems overall.

The 8K spec, along with other things, suggests Canon are finally solving one of their sensor weaknesses; data readout rate. (Noise/dynamic range being the other factor they are step behind)

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

harperdc posted:

Either the 23 f/2 or 16 f/2.8, depending on how wide you want your wide to go. I got the 16 and it’s fantastic, snaps to autofocus incredibly quickly and images are real sharp.

Liking that 16mm! Thanks

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Comedy Rokinon 8mm option.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I would not call any current sensors garbage. Even the 4 year old ones are capable.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Speaking of old sensors...

Passed up a pretty good deal on an Epson R-D1 today. Thought I ought to wait till I can afford lenses for that particular mount :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Easychair Bootson posted:

The X-T3 does have significantly better focus tracking, and maybe more importantly, better face/eye detection compared to the X-T2 and X-H1. For your use case I'd probably try to snap up a nice X-T3 shortly after the X-T4 drops. And honestly, unless you're dead set on sticking with Fuji, I'd be looking at some of Sony's offerings because their face detection and tracking is well ahead of the pack.

I'll probably stick with Fuji just from a glass perspective as I doubt I'd get the range of lenses I currently have easily (or cheaply) if I make a switch. I also really like the SOOC JPEGs with Fuji as I rarely have time to crack open Lightroom these days (I rarely seem to have the time to download off the SD Card).