Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the six sided ring is bad but the pounce is very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shiksa posted:

i hated the 6-sided ring, no reservations. im glad no one decided to try and copycat that.

As well you should, it was loving dumb in every possible way

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

jesus WEP posted:

the six sided ring is bad but the pounce is very good

Agreed that the pounce from weird angles was great.

Wasn't one of the main problems with TNA's ring is that they took a WCW ring, which was already smaller, then cut the corners off to make a hexagon? I think I remember Joe talking about needing to react to whips and stuff way too fast because the ring was loving tiny

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Isn't the six sided ring used in a mexican promotion or was?

I sure TNA got the idea from somewhere else anyway.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The Croc posted:

Isn't the six sided ring used in a mexican promotion or was?

I sure TNA got the idea from somewhere else anyway.

Still used in AAA.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

The obvious takeaway for wrestling rings is that fewer sides = more better, therefore the triangular ring is optimal

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

rujasu posted:

The obvious takeaway for wrestling rings is that fewer sides = more better, therefore the triangular ring is optimal

What about a single-sided ring with two turnbuckles and ropes between em, and then the ring itself stretches into infinity in one direction

Or a one-point ring that's just one turnbuckle

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Obviously the best ring would just be two turnbuckles with a set of ropes stretched between them and an apron rail so the entire match would be built around springboards and moves on the hardest part of the ring, which in this case would be the only part of the ring

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

extradite THIS! posted:

I always wonder how much it throws wrestlers off when they have a match in a ring that's smaller or bigger (or a different shape) than what they're accustomed to.

Io's first few moonsaults in NXT were off.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Ring size is one of those things where it actually IS worth training people a bit before putting them on TV. It's not telling people they can't wrestle, it's giving them the chance to experience the environment where they'll be working.

Which basically means that about 5% of what WWE put wrestlers through in the performance center is worth it.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

extradite THIS! posted:

I always wonder how much it throws wrestlers off when they have a match in a ring that's smaller or bigger (or a different shape) than what they're accustomed to.

I've been in a 14 x 14 up to a 20 x 20. Only one I personally found noticeable is the 14 x 14, it's so small you have to be quick with rope spots and be super mindful of where you are when you bump someone.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

extradite THIS! posted:

What about a single-sided ring with two turnbuckles and ropes between em, and then the ring itself stretches into infinity in one direction

Or a one-point ring that's just one turnbuckle
Somewhere, Vince Russo just started salivating, and he doesn't know why.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

This is why gatoh move is the strongest promotion, no rope

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Are there any children of wrestlers who found notable success in fields that aren't adjacent to wrestling or even sports?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Schneider Heim posted:

Are there any children of wrestlers who found notable success in fields that aren't adjacent to wrestling or even sports?

Rocky Johnson's kid is a decent actor I guess.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Schneider Heim posted:

Road Warrior Animal's son played in the NFL.

...Brooke Hogan had an amazing pop career.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I find it cool that Jericho is the son of a New York Ranger

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Seiji Sakaguchi of NJPW fame is the father of Kenji Sakaguchi who was an actor and is now a coffee roaster. (he's also the father of Yukio the DDT wrestler but that doesn't answer our question)

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Eduoard Carpentier's kids Karen and Richard had a good run as a musical combo, didn't end well though.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Oh I think Tanahashi's daughter is trying to get into acting too?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

kim yung-suk is a daughter of rikidozan who i'd say counts as notable. she's married to a high ranking dprk official and is credited for helping build ties to inoki for the pro wrestling events held in north korea.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

https://tokusatsunetwork.com/2018/07/hiroshi-tanahashis-daughter-to-appear-in-kamen-rider-build-movie/

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

Orig Williams, legendary Welsh pro wrestler and promoter, had a daughter called Tara Bethan who is a pretty well known musical theatre performer

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I am disappointed that Tanahashi's glorious hair has not been passed down to his daughter

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

Eduoard Carpentier's kids Karen and Richard had a good run as a musical combo, didn't end well though.

This story is pretty thin. It's mostly just word vomit.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

He has a daughter? I thought he'd gone Ace.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So what happened to Test? Did they have big main event plans for him during the Stephanie stuff? He was feuding with the top heels in the company but then he just...fades away even though he had a lot of babyface sympathy after she turned.

He seemed like a guy the company had a lot of faith in. Shortly after being brought in he does a big angle with the McMahons and then he's pretty prominent in the mid-card for the next three years. He had a good look and a killer finisher once he started using the Running Big Boot. But he eventually went to TNA from what I heard. Last thing I remember with him was the feud with Scott Steiner.

I had no idea he had a load of concussions. I knew he was dead but didn't know how. I don't recall him being a hardcore guy but I guess you can get concussions from anything in this sport, especially if you were in the WWF of the late 90s/early 2000s. I'm sadder about him ding now.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 11, 2020

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

So what happened to Test? Did they have big main event plans for him during the Stephanie stuff? He was feuding with the top heels in the company but then he just...fades away even though he had a lot of babyface sympathy after she turned.

He seemed like a guy the company had a lot of faith in. Shortly after being brought in he does a big angle with the McMahons and then he's pretty prominent in the mid-card for the next three years. He had a good look and a killer finisher once he started using the Running Big Boot. But he eventually went to TNA from what I heard. Last thing I remember with him was the feud with Scott Steiner.

I had no idea he had a load of concussions. I knew he was dead but didn't know how. I don't recall him being a hardcore guy but I guess you can get concussions from anything in this sport, especially if you were in the WWF of the late 90s/early 2000s. I'm sadder about him ding now.

He died, OP

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Rip test

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

Trips stole Stephanie and he never got revenge, then the normal lovely booking happened. He could have been a solid upper midcarder, probably, maybe headlining a B-ppv every now and then.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
I think Test was one of those people who Russo had bigger plans for, then he left the company and, um, plans change, y'know?

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
When Russo left hey actually tried to retcon the Test proposal by having British Bulldog concuss Stephanie with a bucket shot, but then they walked back on that too.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
https://twitter.com/IsTestStillDead/status/1216284087092047872

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Test may be gone but his theme will live forever

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
At least Test had a couple of good runs and didn't end up stuck in the Emory Hale Memorial Limbo Zone For Guys Who Are Pretty Big But Not Quite "Giant" And Who Also Have A Boring Look.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is the Emory Hale Limbo Zone crotching yourself on the ropes?

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mshCWl3Jkyk

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 12, 2020

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Test may be gone but his theme will live forever

Ham it up with your hay and your codpiece,
Ham it up with your hay and your codpiece,
Mama lama dad, with your lugs on fire,
Babba dap dap dabba dabba do!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Jericho burned his hand on a toothpick
Jericho burned his hand on a toothpick
Look at Kevin Nash man he looks so wild wild

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they should recycle old music more often. the brand is all the matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Randaconda posted:

Trips stole Stephanie and he never got revenge, then the normal lovely booking happened. He could have been a solid upper midcarder, probably, maybe headlining a B-ppv every now and then.

And Kane never got revenge for X-Pac stealing Tori, right? Trips steals Steph and she turns heel and X-Pac steals Tori and she turns heel. And both Test and Kane are left looking like total losers.

Kane survived 'cuz he's Kane. Big Show, too. Pretty sure he loses the WWF Title in ignoble fashion and is just forgotten but he obviously stays as a fixture of WWE. And then Test is just left by the wayside to kinda do okay in the midcard for a few years.

I remember liking the McMahon Helmsley era when I was younger. I was dumb.