Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Crackbone posted:

Rosewater talks about it in his mtg weekly article thing. Apparently it was created as an "emergency" product they could use if poo poo went sideways. It was literally codenamed "Parachute".

He also said in his blog that they have a new parachute project in the wings now that this one has been deployed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Marketing New Brain posted:

I think it's an inartful transition, but from what I can tell paper magic is being pushed more casual towards Commander and kitchen table stuff, MTGO is to give support for Modern and to a lesser extent pauper/legacy/vintage which are difficult to play elsewhere, and MTG Arena is going to be the future of competitive magic, especially once they get pioneer/historic rolling. The fact that they are finally developing drafts just further cements it.

Also I forgot about the whole Judge's Academy fiasco thanks for reminding me, I almost forgot what a complete poo poo show competitive paper had become.

I don't think anyone is disputing any of this, it's just frustrating/confusing when a blowtorch gets taken to healthy scenes that don't fall under their narrow self-imposed umbrella.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Marketing New Brain posted:

I think it's an inartful transition, but from what I can tell paper magic is being pushed more casual towards Commander and kitchen table stuff, MTGO is to give support for Modern and to a lesser extent pauper/legacy/vintage which are difficult to play elsewhere, and MTG Arena is going to be the future of competitive magic, especially once they get pioneer/historic rolling. The fact that they are finally developing drafts just further cements it.

Also I forgot about the whole Judge's Academy fiasco thanks for reminding me, I almost forgot what a complete poo poo show competitive paper had become.

Mtgo was mentioned as a product that had major shortfalls in the investor meeting. That isn’t a healthy place to have any format right now.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sickening posted:

Mtgo was mentioned as a product that had major shortfalls in the investor meeting. That isn’t a healthy place to have any format right now.

Not shocking; any additional details on this?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Walked posted:

Not shocking; any additional details on this?

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1227247892303400961?s=20

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Sickening posted:

I can't imagine them pulling the plug before they get at least Modern onto MTGArena which is a few years out I'm sure, and MTGO continues to generate a profit so there's not too much concern beyond the fact that card prices are bonkers because nobody drafts on it anymore that isn't preparing for paper events.

I think Modern is popular enough that it doesn't have much to worry about, but I don't think they're going to keep the lights on for Vintage and Legacy.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Pioneer is a few years out nevermind Modern. They'll probably just take Modern behind the shed once Pioneer is up and running in Arena.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I like pioneer more than I thought I would because here I am sleeping up some fukkkin permeating mass

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Mezzanon posted:

I like pioneer more than I thought I would because here I am sleeping up some fukkkin permeating mass

WHY IS THIS A SPIRIT

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ShaneB posted:

WHY IS THIS A SPIRIT

It’s so confusingly good against mono black and mono red

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Mezzanon posted:

It’s so confusingly good against mono black and mono red

Yeah it rules.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Eej posted:

Pioneer is a few years out nevermind Modern. They'll probably just take Modern behind the shed once Pioneer is up and running in Arena.

I think they are pretty far in the back catalog of cards already, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Pioneer was here sooner than you think.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ShaneB posted:

Yeah it rules.

Block chainwhirler with permeating mass, flash in supreme phantom before damage.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Doesn’t this just mean that Arena is cannibalizing MTGO’s base for its growth? I can’t really understand why the assumption is that Arena should far outsell what is essentially a sister product, the audience pool is finite and overlapping.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Koopa Kid posted:

Doesn’t this just mean that Arena is cannibalizing MTGO’s base for its growth? I can’t really understand why the assumption is that Arena should far outsell what is essentially a sister product, the audience pool is finite and overlapping.

one is waaaaay more accessible

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Arena has a much lower barrier to entry, meaning you can get a few dollars from many people that wouldn't even consider MTGO to begin with (due to it being too expensive). There's a much larger pool of potential revenue there. Not to mention the big spenders that get drawn in by the game being f2p up-front and also not looking like complete rear end.

Actually realizing that potential is another thing entirely, of course.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Koopa Kid posted:

Look the numbers should only ever go up.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I think a crucial thing to be looking at when saying number go up is to check whether it's money income increase (due to predatory "loot drops" FOMO packs) or playerbase income increase. Like, if you're talking about the health of the game, that's what you should be looking at.

Aside from that, I'll chime in as someone who's definitely gotten back into paper to some degree thanks to Arena; I now go to every prerelease again, as I used to. It turns out all I needed to rekindle my love of the game was an infinite supply of internet strangers to play it with, in an interface that doesn't look like Excel.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I think from reading this thread (and reddit and whatnot), you would figure that no one actually enjoys magic anymore. But it's just selection bias i think. Not many people go out of their way to make a post saying how they're still playing magic and having fun and that's that. For instance, i can't wait for my weekly modern nights. Modern is great right now, especially at a local level. People bring all kinds of different decks and you rarely play against the same archetype twice, let alone the same deck.

Pioneer seems fun, but I really like cards like astrolabe, urza, wrenn, cryptic, stoneforge, eldrazi temple, etc. Would much rather be playing those than azorius charm or paradise druid or whatever

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

cursed image

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I still love playing magic and buy tons of cards, it's just that I play nothing like the formats that are usual, so I don't post.

The last ~20 years we play 4-player kitchen table casual, 2-Headed-Giant but we play across from each other (so no blocking across). We play best-of-3s and then change teams up.

We hate commander with a passion because shuffling 100 card decks is ridiculous, and being social instead of confrontational is the worst. We sold all our power and duals so the tech level is p constant but still Legacy.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I’ve been having a lot of fun with paper magic after a recent return. I eventually got hooked on arena too but I really look forward to fnm’s and our weekly pioneer. I like arena because it’s fun to grind out games in my free time. I like paper still because it also doubles as a socializing outlet. Some of the game store attendees are grognards but most are pleasant enough and some are even friendly. It was good to have periodic tolerance breaks from the game and return with fresh eyes. Modern seems like it’s created a fair bit of burnout so I’m ok that I missed the boat on that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Katana Gomai posted:

cursed image

So CommandFest is a PUA seminar right? Right?!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Magic: the Gathering is a cool and fun game that is wrapped up in many layers of bullshit. A number of these layers arise from the fact that Magic is not only a consumer product, but the only consumer product keeping the lights on at a large multinational corporation. As much as people like to gripe about Arena and what it's done to the game, it's brought in a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't engage with Magic, and WotC/Hasbro is probably correct to focus a lot of their efforts towards that revenue stream. So it goes.

For my part I am enjoying both Modern and Pioneer (and riding a hot streak at FNMs for both!), I just have trouble finding the time to play in paper on a regular basis and the drive to play MTGO at the end of a long day. I am trying to slim down my paper collection as a result but this is less an indictment against the game and more an admission that I simply can't play as much as I want to.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'm really enjoying the game. I play paper. I hope they don't kill paper, especially because I've only recently started paper. Thanks for reading.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i think this needs context because he's implying arena growth is entirely offset by MTGO decline and i suspect that's not the case - that what they said was some amount of arena growth was offset by mtgo decline which is basically the most obvious thing ever

that said while arena is a much better product, mtgo may be better at strip-mining the wallets of its biggest whales because of how expensive it is to draft and the lure of being able to cash out may make people more willing to drop money on it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I'm really enjoying the game. I play paper. I hope they don't kill paper, especially because I've only recently started paper. Thanks for reading.

i don't think they're gonna kill off paper as long as there are people willing to buy fifteen pieces of cardboard for $3-$4

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

evilweasel posted:

i don't think they're gonna kill off paper as long as there are people willing to buy fifteen pieces of cardboard for $3-$4

That's me! Well I bought three boosters from this set and the pre-release. I got $36* worth of cards from those three packs though so it's what we investors call a good investment.

*Three cards that are worth a combined $36, it's higher than that from the other cards obviously.

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 12, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/g3rryt/status/1227424476012236801?s=21

What the gently caress is going on

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

haha what the gently caress, that's a pretty cool idea, you pod into oracle+inverter i guess? how do you make sure your graveyard is close to empty though.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bonus posted:

haha what the gently caress, that's a pretty cool idea, you pod into oracle+inverter i guess? how do you make sure your graveyard is close to empty though.

Wow strider?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Bonus posted:

scooze

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Katana Gomai posted:

cursed image

looks like the bug alien from Men In Black stole LSV's skin.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

wizzardstaff posted:

He also said in his blog that they have a new parachute project in the wings now that this one has been deployed.

There has to be a double top secret “Land Masters” emergency parachute project somewhere on a Hasbro server.

Also Dream Trawler is an insane bomb in limited. The person who drafted it in our group is currently something like 5-0. I had 3 removal spells in a row and still couldn’t get rid of it because the controller can discard more cards than you could reasonably cast.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pulcinella posted:

There has to be a double top secret “Land Masters” emergency parachute project somewhere on a Hasbro server.

Also Dream Trawler is an insane bomb in limited. The person who drafted it in our group is currently something like 5-0. I had 3 removal spells in a row and still couldn’t get rid of it because the controller can discard more cards than you could reasonably cast.

yeah "discard a card" regeneration COULD be beatable, were it not paired with "draw an extra card every turn"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We were just talking about this in the arena thread as well. Dream Trawler is also insane because there literally isn’t another creature in the draft format that can even block it favorably. Attacking as a 5/5 flyer, even without any of its other abilities, means it is just straight up the biggest flying creature in the set.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

We were just talking about this in the arena thread as well. Dream Trawler is also insane because there literally isn’t another creature in the draft format that can even block it favorably. Attacking as a 5/5 flyer, even without any of its other abilities, means it is just straight up the biggest flying creature in the set.

It's the exact same issue as Glorybringer, except with drawing cards and lifelink.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Well at least it doesn't have lifelink so you can reasonably race it, right?

:stonklol:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

thats not true there are two bigger fliers in the set that don't appear in draft boosters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The bigger reach creatures are 3/5, 4/5 (when escaped) and 4/4.