Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
My first "last page" of the comic was Durkon sleeping with Hilgya. No idea how I found the comic originally. I did find my old highschool comic bookmarks and OOTS and Penny Arcade are the only ones still running, with only a few more with still functioning websites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I think I started near the end of book 1. Maybe start of book 2.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Who What Now posted:

I think I started near the end of book 1. Maybe start of book 2.

End of book one was retrieving the dumb cure from dester. Start of book two plops you in a Hamlet and lets you explore

End of book two was an annoying dungeon crawl up the host tower.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Ahaha over 1,600 patreons!

I think this is one of those rare examples where it's like literally a case of, "Yeah that's right! You better succeed and get lots of money!" and getting the same sort of visceral reaction of triumph as a result.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I learned of the comic on the strip of Elan and Thog being in prison together. For some reason it didn't click with me that time. I think I actually started reading it during the between-book-hiatus after Don't Split the Party, but I have no idea what prodded me back to it.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Does Patreon not show the total $ amount anymore?

I’m more than happy to see him getting some actual funds coming in, but at the same time I’m afraid that he’ll start feeling guilty about it and do something crazy to ‘repay’ the money, like sending every patron a postcard each month or similar.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

DoctorTristan posted:

Does Patreon not show the total $ amount anymore?

I’m more than happy to see him getting some actual funds coming in, but at the same time I’m afraid that he’ll start feeling guilty about it and do something crazy to ‘repay’ the money, like sending every patron a postcard each month or similar.

It's an option they give creators whether to show it

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I don't quite remember when I started reading.

I def remember when he cut up his thumb and the several month(3?) hiatus as he healed.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I was saying this thing would never be finished more than a decade ago.

I also read Berserk, so I'm kind of a Connoisseur

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

VanSandman posted:

I started reading before they beat up Xykon the first time. I remember following a link from 8-Bit Theater, I think.

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, I think I learned about Order of the Stick from 8-Bit Theater too.

nthing this. I remember that I started reading because Rich did a guest comic for 8BT and went down the rabbit hole. Seems like that was May of 04, so 15+ years reading this for me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Daikloktos posted:

It was during this hiatus Seamus Young ended DM Of The Rings and linked it in his afterword.
That was it! Holy poo poo, I remember that. Nice catch.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Wait, 8BT would have also been my first exposure to Dominic Deegan, come to think of it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I had just finished all the goblins pages and decided to look for something similar.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

Wait, 8BT would have also been my first exposure to Dominic Deegan, come to think of it.

Michael Terraciano is doing a semi sequel to Dominic Deegan right now.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Donkringel posted:

Michael Terraciano is doing a semi sequel to Dominic Deegan right now.

Oh, I’m well aware. I only got to experience DD just after the strip ended, so I missed out on the mock threads on here when it was still ongoing.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I came in right before this thread started, my first new page being Miko Miyazaki’s Excellent Decision. This comic has had a profound effect on my life, helped me make a few friends, and I can only hope that one day I can write characterization that doesn’t look frankly embarrassing next to it.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

trucutru posted:

I had just finished all the goblins pages and decided to look for something similar.
Reading a goblins thread and during a hiatus someone linked a stick figure comic, as a joke

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Pretty sure I first heard of it when a friend referred to comic 197, back in 2005. Didn't start actually following it until #260 though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think I've been reading for *checks notes*

...15 or 16 years

:corsair:

Also I can give this dumb jackass $2 a month now and he can't stop me!

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Shugojin posted:

...15 or 16 years

Patreon definitely beats my plan B of "find out where he lives and leave wads of cash in his mailbox."

I may still proceed with plan C of "order additional copies of the books and donate them to the local public library."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shugojin posted:

...15 or 16 years

give him $2.69 and chortle maturely imo

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I may still proceed with plan C of "order additional copies of the books and donate them to the local public library."

Knowing him this would somehow cost him money

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I started reading just before the end of Book 4, right after V broke into Xykon's tower. One of those pages was actually my first exposure to the comic and I remember wondering for a good long while during my first read through how the hell Evil V was going to come into play.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

I've been reading since strip 10.

But then I didn't read it again for a few years. I bookmarked it after that.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I’ve been reading since the one where they argue about going up a level or down a level. That’s a really long time. What’s the prediction for a timeline for it to finally finish? Five years?

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
The first strip I saw was when Miko killed Shojo. That was one hell of a jumping on point.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think I hopped on when Miko captured the party? I'm an old man.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sanford posted:

I’ve been reading since the one where they argue about going up a level or down a level. That’s a really long time. What’s the prediction for a timeline for it to finally finish? Five years?

Ha I think that was mine too. And yeah, 5-7 years should see it done.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

sebmojo posted:

Ha I think that was mine too. And yeah, 5-7 years should see it done.

I know a couple of other people who say that was their first strip, too. I wonder if it got linked from somewhere?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I can't remember which strip I started on as it's been so long. Had to be somewhere around the end of 2004-start of 2005. A co-worker recommended it along with some other webcomic I can't remember the name of other than it was about drow and I stopped reading when the little kid drow's pet surface kitten was killed to teach her a lesson or something. I feel I made the better choice sticking with OotS.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Drow Tales?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

trucutru posted:

How's that search going?

I arrived around the time of the siege on azure city I think. It took a long rear end time to catch up.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I think that might be it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The first OotS comic I read was actually a guest comic done by the author of the Hellbound comic; it's one that has the OotS playing DnD, done in a much more realistic style. So it was very confusing to come back and see it was all stick figures. I guess that was 2005, oof.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I wanna say I started reading around the "haley loses her voice but is on a date with nale" arc but I can't remember. Its weird, I probably read around twenty different webcomics back then and now OOTS is the only one I keep up with. And I still re-read it every few years! Sometimes I'm tempted to go back and read a bit of something like Bob and George or even 8BT but I feel like that would be a mistake.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I remember getting to the end od the archives, with that last comic being Redcloak and Xykon watching Miko ride off after the encounter at the watchtower.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0376.html
Which was apparently in 2006. Time flies.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Wolfsheim posted:

I wanna say I started reading around the "haley loses her voice but is on a date with nale" arc but I can't remember. Its weird, I probably read around twenty different webcomics back then and now OOTS is the only one I keep up with. And I still re-read it every few years! Sometimes I'm tempted to go back and read a bit of something like Bob and George or even 8BT but I feel like that would be a mistake.

8-Bit mostly actually holds up.

Bob and George should be left in its grave.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
8BT is hilarious because the punchline of "anticlimax" is as old as time, and still holds up.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
for some reason "Astos? More like yo rear end is toast!" has stuck in my brain for the past fifteen years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Sanford posted:

The last two books took five years each, and Rich estimates that this one will be "at least" as long as either of those. Five years is the conservative estimate, but I'm personally banking on seven or eight.