Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

RichterIX posted:

This actually got me thinking-- do the Parks view Ki-woo and Ki-jung as beneath them? They think that Ki-woo is an active university student and that Ki-jung is a college-educated professional. In their eyes wouldn't they be in a different league from the driver and housekeeper? What's the hierarchy at work here?

Yeah I think there's a difference there, especially for Ki-jung since she's ostensibly offering a professional service. A tutor seems like an edge case, in that at least in the US it's not a particularly high prestige job, especially if you're hiring a student to do it, but with the status that seems associated with English and the forged credentials that have him attending an elite university, I'd say it's still a solid step above the others, who the Parks view as menial servants.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It’s amusing that because Kijung took the more prestigious fake job she lectures her mom on entering without knocking and her mom curses her out under her breath

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

YaketySass posted:

Wondering what non-zero percent of the audience went in expecting something like Alien with a title like that.

I wasn't expecting sci-fi, but given how much mileage the trailer got out of the one blood splatter shot, I was definite expecting it to be more horror/slasher

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I thought it was going to be a slightly different near future dystopia instead of our actual dystopia.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I don't get the black and white release thing, why not just give it another theatrical run? The movie was designed for color, surely you're losing a lot to switch to black and white

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/02/10/parasites-oscars-success-was-also-victory-democracy/

Well this is interesting, the conservative Korean administration a few years ago blacklisted Miky Lee and Bong Joonho along with many others, claiming they were too liberal and critical of the gov

That president ended up impeached and in jail for taking bribes. (She was also the daughter of a previous dictator-president of South Korea who did a lot of crooked poo poo to try to modernize Korea in the 60’s-70’s)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 12, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I'm in the middle of watching this film and I don't get how the family can't figure out a plan on what to do with the old housekeeper and her husband. Isn't it obvious that they could just make a deal with them that they could continue living in the house in exchange for them not ratting the family out? Or am I missing something?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I mean, the Parks were suddenly returning, so any potential bargaining was pretty much off the table at that point.

edit because I think that explains it more succinctly

Compendium fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 12, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Compendium posted:

I mean, the Parks were suddenly returning, so any potential bargaining was pretty much off the table at that point.

edit because I think that explains it more succinctly

I mean couldn't they have the mother speak to them when they were tied up and the Parks were asleep?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
look sometimes, you just don't have a plan because it won't work out in the end.

that and I don't think mrs. kim was willing to risk doing that alone even if they were duct taped up/the parks were also sleeping on the couch, which is nearer to the kitchen and thus the backroom leading to the basement so noise and proximity is a factor. Hell, there's also the risk of being seen by Da Song from the tent even if he wouldn't think too much of the housekeeper going out to the back and would fall asleep later.

and I don't think the people you kicked and duct taped back into a basement would be that open for negotiations.

A major point of this movie is the lack of lower-class solidarity. They're fighting each other over the scraps of the rich employing them

Compendium fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 12, 2020

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I'm in the middle of watching this film and I don't get how the family can't figure out a plan on what to do with the old housekeeper and her husband. Isn't it obvious that they could just make a deal with them that they could continue living in the house in exchange for them not ratting the family out? Or am I missing something?

That wouldn't have worked. The movie is clear that as soon as the housekeeper got leverage over the Kims they were gonna get hosed. Not the least because they poisoned her to steal her job.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

GodFish posted:

I don't get the black and white release thing, why not just give it another theatrical run? The movie was designed for color, surely you're losing a lot to switch to black and white

Yeah it feels like a weird affectation to me. 'Back when movies were good they were all black and white, so good movies now should be too.'

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I buy Bong's explanation that black-and-white is a viscerally different experience. It makes you focus on a different sort of thing. I don't think anyone claims that this is the authoritative way to watch the film, but it's a conversion made with care. It's worth a dabble.

(And if nothing else, they deserve to milk a few more dollars out of this)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bong-joon-ho-black-white-parasite-cut-1274862

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Thundercracker posted:

That wouldn't have worked. The movie is clear that as soon as the housekeeper got leverage over the Kims they were gonna get hosed. Not the least because they poisoned her to steal her job.

Mrs. Kim also comes at her pretty aggro with the whole "don't call me sis" business, so as soon as the jig is up the housekeeper has them kneeling with their arms up while she gloats. She would have had to make the deal before the housekeeper realized they were scammers, if at all

Also that reminded me that when I saw this in the theater about 80% of the way into the movie someone in the audience had a lightbulb go off and said conspiratorially to their neighbor, "ohhhhh, they're scammers"

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Vegetable posted:

I buy Bong's explanation that black-and-white is a viscerally different experience. It makes you focus on a different sort of thing. I don't think anyone claims that this is the authoritative way to watch the film, but it's a conversion made with care. It's worth a dabble.

(And if nothing else, they deserve to milk a few more dollars out of this)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bong-joon-ho-black-white-parasite-cut-1274862

The same article also has him basically saying the 'like when movies were good' thing too though:

"I think it may be vanity on my part, but when I think of the classics, they're all in black and white," he said at the International Film Festival Rotterdam, where he dropped in during a chaotic awards season schedule to give a master class and present the world premiere of the new Parasite edit. "So I had this idea that if I turned my films into black and white then they'd become classics."

If people want to watch it that way, by all means go for it. I'd be way more interested in a regular rerelease though.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I just gotta say, of all the memorable moments the old housekeeper getting kicked back down the stairs is still one of the funniest shots in any movie and I think about it every day.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I was one of the people who didn't understand why the movie was heralded as such a left wing film after watching it.

So I watched this video overview and now it is obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci-gFovSJf0

Should I feel dumb?

Also are there any other good video overviews about the film.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Should I feel dumb?

Nah, the message was there, but it's not screaming the message at you like the worse version of it some on the left wish it had been would have. When I watched it I got the gist of it, but seeing things other people picked up definitely helped me appreciate what was going on even more, which is part of why I'm looking forward to rewatching it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I would think that most people would at least pick up on the general theme of class struggle though. I mean, the movie is about a family who lives above a literal underclass that they exploit without even realizing it.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

dirksteadfast posted:

I just gotta say, of all the memorable moments the old housekeeper getting kicked back down the stairs is still one of the funniest shots in any movie and I think about it every day.

It’s great that this typical bit of slapstick comedy literally kills the housekeeper.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ogmius815 posted:

It’s great that this typical bit of slapstick comedy literally kills the housekeeper.

Bong Joon-Ho pulling out comedy at the absolute most unfitting time possible is one of my favorite things he does. I will never forget Chris Evans slipping on that fish.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What's the significance of the Parks sexual activity on the couch? Specifically the wife wearing the daughters panties?

Sinteres posted:

Nah, the message was there, but it's not screaming the message at you like the worse version of it some on the left wish it had been would have. When I watched it I got the gist of it, but seeing things other people picked up definitely helped me appreciate what was going on even more, which is part of why I'm looking forward to rewatching it.

Yeah. I feel that on most films, things are extreme blunt and apparent. Parasite seems to obscure things a little bit. Maybe it's a Western vs Eastern thing as I'm not too familiar with Korean entertainment.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I thought it was obvious but if you're not politically minded it probably doesn't jump out.

punk rebel ecks posted:

What's the significance of the Parks sexual activity on the couch? Specifically the wife wearing the daughters panties?

They're fetishizing the people they were having the vapors over earlier (the driver and the imagined crack whore). It's why she was saying "buy me drugs".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

The panties belong to a regular person who hooked up with the driver(at least that's what they think), so it's like a fetish. Her wearing the panties is "dirty".

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Groovelord Neato posted:

They're fetishizing the people they were having the vapors over earlier (the driver and the imagined crack whore). It's why she was saying "buy me drugs".

it also underscores their ignorance of the Kims hiding under the table maybe two feet in front of them.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Parasite is what I would like to call "subtly blunt." It has all the message above and below the surface and it just takes some discussion to root it all out which is what makes this movie fun.

As for the sex scene, remember that they dissed the previous driver for having (imagined) sex with a drug addled prostitute, but it's totally okay to take that scenario and use it as their spank material. Basically, its another form of exploitation of the poor.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

I thought it was obvious but if you're not politically minded it probably doesn't jump out.

But I am politically minded. I guess I'm just stupid. :(

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

punk rebel ecks posted:

But I am politically minded. I guess I'm just stupid. :(

What did you think it was about?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey hang out and keep asking questions till you’re smart!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think one thing that trips people up is how the Parks rarely go beyond “somewhat irritating/bossy” while the Kims do some straight-up bad stuff (I’m surprised Chung-sook kicking the dog isn’t brought up more often, it’s such a classic ‘bad guy’ thing to do and my theater subtly reacted to it). The film doesn’t take the easy route of the noble poor preyed upon by the evil conspiratorial rich, and that’s what some people will expect going in after hearing it’s an anti-capitalist story about class conflict. It forgoes the sort of revolutionary tone people have come to expect, especially considering Snowpiercer goes all in on that.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

YaketySass posted:

What did you think it was about?

I feel a bit embarrassed thinking this now, but during my initial viewing I felt that the film should have hammered home more of just how much the Parks were exploiting their labor. Like I wish that it would have highlighted more that only now that the , Kims are finally earning enough to live "a good life" due to earning all the crumbs from working for the Parks above all the others, they could now only keep their heads above water. It also irked me how the Moon family only moved into the bunker basement due to loan shark debts rather than just suffering the whims of following the system like a boy scout.

Steve Yun posted:

Hey hang out and keep asking questions till you’re smart!

I think you're ridiculing me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
No! I’m saying plow past those feelings

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

How does class conciousness in Korea compare to say in the United States?

Steve Yun posted:

No! I’m saying plow past those feelings

I see. Thank you.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

How does class conciousness in Korea compare to say in the United States?

From what I've heard of Bong when he's discussed it, very similar. He said that he made the movie with Korea in mind and then was a bit surprised by how universal the themes ended up being.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I think class exists the same in both countries but in America it’s way more hidden and invisible and easy to pretend class isn’t a thing. Rich people in America hide their upper class by pretending to be “one of the people” and everyone talks to each other in mostly the same language. America is built on (claimed) principles of equality.

In Korea you’re reminded of class in very visible ways. Everyone bows all the time to superiors, even informal bows like dipping your head but not your torso. (This is so ingrained in me that i do this in America involuntarily) The verb conjugations you use for superiors is different than the ones you use for inferiors/equals. Although the pizza manager is the boss to the Kim family and she’s complaining about the quality of their work she still uses polite language talking to Chungsook because she’s the elder and that takes priority. Even when they squabble about money she tries to be polite. Once her brand image gets insulted she yells as if to an inferior (side note: respect is more important than money, a big theme of the movie)

Everyone is constantly referring to each other with titles of superiority or inferiority. Even in the movie when the subtitles say “sis” in Korean they used different words for “older sis” and “younger sis” Every time Dahye called for Kevin in the subtitles she was saying “older brother” in the dialogue (which has weird incesty vibes to American audiences (although consider that Americans calling each other baby might sound pedo in other countries)). Everyone is constantly called by titles. Jessica keeps being called Jesssica Teacher. Driver Yoon. Chungsook is called The Old Lady. On Kitaek’s phone, the contact info for Mrs Park doesn’t have her name but instead says The Madam.

Inferiors always do subordinate acts like pouring alcohol for the superiors. Kiwoo pours for Min and his dad. Superiors do things like paying for food. I don’t think we explicitly see it but I’m pretty sure Min paid for their meal. When Kiwoo’s tutoring money pays for their meals at the valet cafeteria, his dad puts food on Kiwoo’s plate because it still makes him feel like he’s the one who‘s providing for Kiwoo. The mom calls him out on this.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 12, 2020

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Pigbuster posted:

I think one thing that trips people up is how the Parks rarely go beyond “somewhat irritating/bossy” while the Kims do some straight-up bad stuff (I’m surprised Chung-sook kicking the dog isn’t brought up more often, it’s such a classic ‘bad guy’ thing to do and my theater subtly reacted to it). The film doesn’t take the easy route of the noble poor preyed upon by the evil conspiratorial rich, and that’s what some people will expect going in after hearing it’s an anti-capitalist story about class conflict. It forgoes the sort of revolutionary tone people have come to expect, especially considering Snowpiercer goes all in on that.

This is astute, and it’s one reason parasite is a better movie than Snowpiercer. For me, the key moment in all of Parasite is the speech where Mrs. Kim says that Mrs. Park is nice because she’s rich. There is little or no moral gulf between the Parks and the Kims as individuals. The differences in their behavior are not to be attributed primarily to their individual virtues and shortcomings.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

I feel a bit embarrassed thinking this now, but during my initial viewing I felt that the film should have hammered home more of just how much the Parks were exploiting their labor. Like I wish that it would have highlighted more that only now that the , Kims are finally earning enough to live "a good life" due to earning all the crumbs from working for the Parks above all the others, they could now only keep their heads above water. It also irked me how the Moon family only moved into the bunker basement due to loan shark debts rather than just suffering the whims of following the system like a boy scout.
Nothing to be embarrassed about. Part of the fun of the movie is peeling back layers as you think about it. I don't see the movie as fitting neatly into a particular left wing dogma or offering any specific solution(s), but I think it perfectly shows how the globally interconnected societal systems we have in place can lead to some pretty hosed up situations between the haves and the have-nots. It pairs well with other 2019 films such as The Last Black Man in San Francisco, Us, Wild Rose, Ready or Not, Honey Boy, or Knives Out.

Basebf555 posted:

From what I've heard of Bong when he's discussed it, very similar. He said that he made the movie with Korea in mind and then was a bit surprised by how universal the themes ended up being.
This also!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Where is Korean Bernie Sanders?

Steve Yun posted:

I think class exists the same in both countries but in America it’s way more hidden and invisible and easy to pretend class isn’t a thing. Rich people in America hide their upper class by pretending to be “one of the people” and everyone talks to each other in mostly the same language. America is built on (claimed) principles of equality.

In Korea you’re reminded of class in very visible ways. Everyone bows all the time to superiors, even informal bows like dipping your head but not your torso. (This is so ingrained in me that i do this in America involuntarily) The verb conjugations you use for superiors is different than the ones you use for inferiors/equals. Although the pizza manager is the boss to the Kim family and she’s complaining about the quality of their work she still uses polite language talking to Chungsook because she’s the elder and that takes priority. Even when they squabble about money she tries to be polite. Once her brand image gets insulted she yells as if to an inferior (side note: respect is more important than money, a big theme of the movie)

Everyone is constantly referring to each other with titles of superiority or inferiority. Even in the movie when the subtitles say “sis” in Korean they used different words for “older sis” and “younger sis” Every time Dahye called for Kevin in the subtitles she was saying “older brother” in the dialogue (which has weird incesty vibes to American audiences (although consider that Americans calling each other baby might sound pedo in other countries)). Everyone is constantly called by titles. Jessica keeps being called Jesssica Teacher. Driver Yoon. Chungsook is called The Old Lady. On Kitaek’s phone, the contact info for Mrs Park doesn’t have her name but instead says The Madam.

Inferiors always do subordinate acts like pouring alcohol for the superiors. Kiwoo pours for Min and his dad. Superiors do things like paying for food. I don’t think we explicitly see it but I’m pretty sure Min paid for their meal. When Kiwoo’s tutoring money pays for their meals at the valet cafeteria, his dad puts food on Kiwoo’s plate because it still makes him feel like he’s the one who‘s providing for Kiwoo. The mom calls him out on this.

Wow, good insight.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

America has different issues with class. When you go eat dinner with a friend, you pay dutch, he might buy you a drink because he just loves you as a friend and vice versa. Then you go home and just think about how his car was nicer or how it’s obvious he makes more than you. You’re conscious of class even though it’s not something you put into words.

American politicians love exploiting the illusion of classlessness. They go to state fairs and kiss babies and eat corn dogs and talk using language of middle class folks. Then they give tax breaks to the rich and attempting to gut social security and keep chipping away at healthcare and welfare. They wanna gently caress you without showing their dick.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Also, everyone in this thread and everyone in general should watch Queen of Versailles - it's on par with Parasite in hosed-upness but 100% real.

Can be streamed through Hoopla if you have a library card.