Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
he's wearing gloves so it's perfectly safe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

glynnenstein posted:

Always make sure you have a blue steam safety bucket on hand when you remove a cap from a line under pressure!

https://i.imgur.com/57vsOz2.mp4

I hate this so much.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

glynnenstein posted:

Always make sure you have a blue steam safety bucket on hand when you remove a cap from a line under pressure!

Remake of Steambath with Morty playing God is coming along nicely.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290986/

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

glynnenstein posted:

This bothered me to the point I got a little queasy.
Thank God he didn't flash broil his hands.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Don't be a pansy, it's only low pressure steam.

That's only what, 121c/250F

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
From the imgur description:

quote:

Bucket was an attempt to contain the steam without getting scolded

It may have stopped him from getting scalded, but I don’t think it would stop him from getting scolded.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

This bothered me to the point I got a little queasy.
Thank God he didn't flash broil his hands.

Or his feet :ohdear:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
manager sucking up to the CEO all like "it's cool, i'll make them stay on unpaid after their shift ends to make sure they clean up all the spilled steam, i think it'll be safe to reuse."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

manager sucking up to the CEO all like "it's cool, i'll make them stay on unpaid after their shift ends to make sure they clean up all the spilled steam, i think it'll be safe to reuse."

It’s not a steam accident, it’s an improvised atmospherically cooled condenser!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

glynnenstein posted:

Boiler room rave just getting started!

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s not a steam accident, it’s an improvised atmospherically cooled condenser!
Steam system temporarily reconfigured for single pass operation with condensation provided by local atmosphere.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

let off some steam, bennett

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

There have been a lot of horrifying videos in this thread and steam bucket is in my top 10 holy poo poo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Steam system temporarily reconfigured for single pass operation with condensation provided by local atmosphere.

:hmmyes:

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely
Water only boils at 212 F. What's the big deal? That's not that hot.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Sex Skeleton posted:

Water only boils at 212 F. What's the big deal? That's not that hot.

I presume you're joking, but then again things like latent/specific heat and effects of phase changes get past most people...

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
'i put my hand in my oven all the time and that's hotter than 212, what could be the problem?'

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
gasses drop in temperature when they expand so the steam would probably even be significantly cooler than that, so its besically impossible to get a steam burn.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

steam isn't limited to 100 C lol

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Mozi posted:

'i put my hand in my oven all the time and that's hotter than 212, what could be the problem?'

A friend's sister, in highschool, burned her hand bad. She reaches in the oven and grabs the pan, fully grabs it to take it out, with a bare hand. So we ask wtf were you thinking? She said "well I thought it would be fine, it was only 350 degrees." Science classes are pretty drat weak in this part of the world (Texas).

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

gasses drop in temperature when they expand so the steam would probably even be significantly cooler than that, so its besically impossible to get a steam burn.

Surprised that bucket isn't frosty like a gunshot propane canister tbh

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Cool thing about steam burns that I learned from wildland firefighting is that the sweat trapped under your fr gear can evaporate and burn while escaping your pores. I'd imagine you feel kind of like a baked potato.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So we used to get subjected to all sorts of horrifying videos at school to stop us messing around in the chemical plant. One was about high pressure steam lines and someone who apparently walked through a leak from one. Didn't really see anything because steam is transparent and didn't really feel anything because he essential flash cooked his entire body. He died a gruesome death later in hospital. No idea how realistic that was but did make us reconsider the joys of playing in a chemical plant.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Thinking about steamed buns now

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

VectorSigma posted:

steam isn't limited to 100 C lol

uhhhhh? yeah it is? once you get to 100 it flips over to the next letter.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Steam will burn ya once, condense on what's left of your flesh as water at 211 degrees and keep on burning. Now that's dedication, gentlemen.

So get your stumpy twice-baked potato rear end up that rickety ladder and write in "Steam" as employee of the month before I fire you.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Yeah it's a myth like getting wood shavings in your eyes or splinters in your hands. Just one more lie promulgated by the OSHA inspector to keep you from working at peak efficiency.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Quoting from the coronavirus thread- I've never heard of radioactive MREs before:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
OSHA IV: VARNING KLAMRISK

LifeSunDeath posted:

A friend's sister, in highschool, burned her hand bad. She reaches in the oven and grabs the pan, fully grabs it to take it out, with a bare hand. So we ask wtf were you thinking? She said "well I thought it would be fine, it was only 350 degrees." Science classes are pretty drat weak in this part of the world (Texas).

We call that “shaking hands with the Devil”.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Aramoro posted:

So we used to get subjected to all sorts of horrifying videos at school to stop us messing around in the chemical plant. One was about high pressure steam lines and someone who apparently walked through a leak from one. Didn't really see anything because steam is transparent and didn't really feel anything because he essential flash cooked his entire body. He died a gruesome death later in hospital. No idea how realistic that was but did make us reconsider the joys of playing in a chemical plant.

Sonic plays in Chemical Plant zones all the time though.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Quoting from the coronavirus thread- I've never heard of radioactive MREs before:

Lol I love this guy's videos.

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
I've had buds in the brewing industry get burnt from hot water/steam leaks and yeah, it's loving scary. Even jumping 5-10 degrees in temperature at a certain point will change the outcome of the burn.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

LifeSunDeath posted:

Where her teacher failed her is that it's more about the temperature gradient and the quantity of heat transferred during contact with the hot thing. The right baking sheet could be safe to touch at that temperature. Temperature gradient has an impact because the higher the gradient, the more heat is conducted per unit of time and area across the gradient, and the more fun and exciting it is to touch. Warm bath water can cause harm under the right conditions. Oven mitts are helpful here because as a thermal insulator they inhibit conduction of heat energy, making the pan take more time to burn you. But the second law of Thermodynamics is a bitch here because entropy marches inexorably higher. Heat always flows.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Sex Skeleton posted:

Where her teacher failed her is that it's more about the temperature gradient and the quantity of heat transferred during contact with the hot thing. The right baking sheet could be safe to touch at that temperature. Temperature gradient has an impact because the higher the gradient, the more heat is conducted per unit of time and area across the gradient, and the more fun and exciting it is to touch. Warm bath water can cause harm under the right conditions. Oven mitts are helpful here because as a thermal insulator they inhibit conduction of heat energy, making the pan take more time to burn you. But the second law of Thermodynamics is a bitch here because entropy marches inexorably higher. Heat always flows.

That's getting too far into the actual science of the situation. Her brain went "well, I've put my hand into the air inside an oven at 350 and not burned myself, therefore grabbing a metal object that's been sitting in there for 20 min should be ok."

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Thinking about when I burned the poo poo out of my hand by placing it over the spout of an electric kettle when I was making herbal tea before bed, aka the most metal injury in the world. :black101:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I'm pretty sure people knew how to use ovens before there was Science, that's just bad parenting.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
The worst burn I ever got in the kitchen was from a dollop of melted hard candy landing on the back of my thumb.

And then adhering to my skin.

It's a small scar, but it's pretty gnarly looking.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Don't you want a hot meal?

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

I've only ever touched a hot oven thing once but it was enough to scar me into paranoia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gajarga
Nov 5, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBoiWQ2_8eU

so many things wrong