Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pipes! Coming to Steam soon! That hyperloop!

God I'm so loving ready to play but I'm reading all of these patch notes first.

edit: have the trailer too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIEnhYio0VQ

Freaksaus fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Coming to Steam SoonTM? Well now you have my attention....

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

How is the end game on this now? I haven't played for 6 months or so but back then the end game was building parts for the sake of part. As opposed to a massive resource sink that does cool stuff.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

We're sitting here waiting for the patch to drop so we have no idea.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

KillHour posted:

We're sitting here waiting for the patch to drop so we have no idea.

It already dropped in the US

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's totally out! On experimental so don't forget to check for the correct one.

https://update3.satisfactorygame.com/

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Is it worth jumping right into experimental or should I wait for it to come to stable?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Wrr posted:

Is it worth jumping right into experimental or should I wait for it to come to stable?

Probably too soon to be answered. Depends on how unstable it is, and that'll take a bit (hopefully!!!) to find out.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Angie Fenrose posted:

How is the end game on this now? I haven't played for 6 months or so but back then the end game was building parts for the sake of part. As opposed to a massive resource sink that does cool stuff.
To be honest I'd enjoy this game a lot more if it didn't just end like it does. I get that they're leaving room for more tiers, but for now if you could just like shove top-tier products into the space elevator for "high score" or something pointless I'd have spent a lot more time with this game. Especially since it looks like you're basically going to have to rebuild your factory when a major update comes out and breaks recipes, so it's not like you can just jump back into your game when a higher tier is released and continue on.

I've spent hundreds of hours with this game oh god why would I want to devote more of my life to it.

Guess I'll be starting a new factory today though!

Edit: I should have read the patch notes before posting this!

Coffestain posted:

We致e also added a way for you to sink your excess resources and get something in return via the A.W.E.S.O.M.E. Sink & Store, which we both teased already in the videos leading up to this release.

Well there goes the rest of my loving life! Not the worst way to go I suppose.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does anyone know is smart and programmable splitters overflow when one output is clogged yet? I stopped playing because the splitters pick one output and, when it backs up, won't output at all.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That seems like a realistic way to work

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Does anyone know is smart and programmable splitters overflow when one output is clogged yet? I stopped playing because the splitters pick one output and, when it backs up, won't output at all.

Don't hold me to this, but I think if you have one of the outputs be 'any', and the regular outputs backs up, it'll shift that, preventing clogging. It'll never overflow to a split set to a specific item, though, because that would break things.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

I didn't start playing until recently and since I haven't even fully switched over to oil power yet so I'll probably just keep playing on stable until update 3 is released fully then restart. Most of my time has been spent coming up with modular layouts and compact splitters/mergers using vertical conveyors and stuff like that so it's not like I have a sprawling, finely tuned factory that would suck to cast into the abyss.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Reading the reddit posts of the people who are already playing, apparently now coal and nuclear generators require water to operate, so that means that as soon as I log into my save, everything is going to screech to a halt as more than half my generators go offline. (Plus maybe also my gas generators if this changes the way oil is transported?). So, yeah, leaning towards a complete start-over.

Also, I am excited about player-transport pipes.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 11, 2020

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The ability to start out at tier one is good. It gives you a few portable miners and a little bit of basic materials. Takes a lot of the edge off of starting from scratch.

Though I have noticed a bit of jank so far. Specifically, you can just walk along the bottom of the ocean, as if the water isn't actually there.

To be expected from an experimental branch. It's actually kind of convenient.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

this might be my best low-key change though:

quote:

Players can now set part per minute when Overclocking instead of only percentage

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wow, this is full of so much good stuff. Gonna need to start a fresh map, though, my old setup is totally unready for this.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I thought they were going to allow multiple equipped items. I just want my jetpack AND blade runners at the same time :sigh:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

kloa posted:

I thought they were going to allow multiple equipped items. I just want my jetpack AND blade runners at the same time :sigh:

My hope is that that is one of the perks you can buy in the 'sell your excess production for credits' store thing.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

They nerfed power shards a bunch by making you have to use up a ton of them just to research overclocking a facility, so you can't overclock right out the gate. Also the MAM is an external facility you can build anywhere now, which I guess is nice but means that you don't have a thing for the center of your hub. Hm.

At least research times appear to be greatly increased overall, with the exception of hard drive scanning, which is still ten minutes.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Starting over is good and fun. Discovering these things in order is good, rather than slapping them all on an existing base.

You can swap between multiple items in your hand. Forget if you could do that before.

Just got to coal- rushing there as fast as I could 'cause manually feeding bio furnaces is the worst. Got an earful about water management and pipes. Coal needing water now seems like a fun change. It was already amazing to set up because of how much work it ended up saving vs bio furnaces, but now there's more interesting logistics to setting it all up. Looking forward to figuring all this stuff out!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Eiba posted:

Starting over is good and fun. Discovering these things in order is good, rather than slapping them all on an existing base.

You can swap between multiple items in your hand. Forget if you could do that before.

Just got to coal- rushing there as fast as I could 'cause manually feeding bio furnaces is the worst. Got an earful about water management and pipes. Coal needing water now seems like a fun change. It was already amazing to set up because of how much work it ended up saving vs bio furnaces, but now there's more interesting logistics to setting it all up. Looking forward to figuring all this stuff out!

Not to mention there's now a way to use biofurnaces to use piped-in biofuel (to compensate for those who like lugging the hard stuff around there's a compressed mulch option).

Coal mining with water shouldn't be TOO hard since water sources are plentiful and one spot I know of near the northern sea with tons of coal happens to be right next to a river.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

There's although a fourth starting location now? Has anyone tried it?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
So do these tickets only apply to that particular save game, or do they carry over to a new start? Would be nice to know.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bobulus posted:

I've started here and, just like they say, it's a harder start than the others. The ore nodes are pretty spread out and not as high quality. There's also a distinct lack of plants, it being a desert after all, until you log over to the nearby oasis.

I like it though, this together with having to unlock foundations has made my new starter base a complete monster of belts weaving everywhere.

I made a resource sink but the moment I hooked it up my power went down so I'll get coal power going first, plants are driving me crazy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How do i get to the experimental version?

Edit

Nevermind I found it.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 12, 2020

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Bobulus posted:

Started there and for scaling up serious production it痴 going to take some serious logistics.

There痴 enough iron in various places that I have long-distance T1 belts doing a lot of moving; I致e built a big basic floor for my space elevator and moved my hub and inventory dump production in around it.

Access to bio matter is problematic in that there is a huge patch of it which is inconvenient to the iron I landed nearest; thing is that limestone and copper are both located in the oasis and so you have plenty of reasons to run into there while spamming E on grasses. That was enough to keep power on except for a few whoops moments until unlocking the chainsaw and the new solid biofuel step; even sparse smallish trees give enough matter to keep the place running until coal.

Access to water might be more serious.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

patch notes posted:

Jump Pads now affect creatures and physics objects like vehicles. Game changer.

I need some GIFs, stat.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Yeah, uh, I'd absolutely recommend starting fresh with this update. If you don't, here's some tips to get your old base running again:

- All the coal and nuclear power plants need water to work. You'll need a bunch of copper sheets to make all the pumps and pipes needed to get them water. Deep water is required, shallow pools don't work. Haven't tested streams.
- Oil power plants thankfully seem to be operational, and may even have been given a bump in power production????
- All your production buildings will be 'stuck' until you manually reset them, meaning changing their production and then changing it back.
- Some recipes have changed, notably the need for copper sheets.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Are there any old recipes that need copper sheets now? I ran over most of my factory and didn't find anything I couldn't immediately restart, except for the whole oil tree thats fluids now.

Has anybody unlocked the fluid cars for trains? Seems like those might be broken and not unlock or reveal the milestone on old saves.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I researched flower petals all the way and didn't get the paint canister recipe...

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Sliding and jumping for traversal, basically bunnyhopping and skiing all at once is extremely fun and fast.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I really like the update so far, but I just unlocked coal power on my new start so we値l see how much of a pain fluid management is. I know for sure I知 going to refine all my products on-site now when I get to oil and not convey them back to the central hub.

Did they add T8/Quantum stuff with Update 3 or has most of my expectations for this update been just a fever dream?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Vasudus posted:

Did they add T8/Quantum stuff with Update 3 or has most of my expectations for this update been just a fever dream?

No, I checked on my old save, still not there.

And pretty bummed that there's no inventory slot upgrades in the new store.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Vasudus posted:

I really like the update so far, but I just unlocked coal power on my new start so we値l see how much of a pain fluid management is. I know for sure I知 going to refine all my products on-site now when I get to oil and not convey them back to the central hub.

Pipelines are neat. At least for simple setups it is very easy since pipes are bidirectional, but their capacity seems kinda low, I wonder if they load-balance well when you have multiple pipes running in parallel.

Haven't figured out how to unlock the fluid car yet, but apparently it has awful capacity anyway and long-distance fluid stuff is pipes only.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Vasudus posted:

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I put a base together right when early access started then put it aside to wait for more features. Unlocked coal power in my first session, in an area far removed from where my old base was. Now to build a powerplant and really start scaling.

Does anyone know if the interactive maps are up to date? I found a craterium node that wasn't on any.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
Just started fresh in experimental in the forest. The starting biomass energy grind seems much better this time. Not sure if it's just the solid biomass or maybe chainsaw is earlier.

When do you unlock the walls with conveyor pass-through? Did they get rid of them or is it above tier 4?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I put a base together right when early access started then put it aside to wait for more features.

Same, I'm waiting for it to get near an actual official release since I burned myself out on factorio several years ago.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bobulus posted:

No, I checked on my old save, still not there.

And pretty bummed that there's no inventory slot upgrades in the new store.

Inventory slot upgrades are in the new research tree though.

Nukelear v.2 posted:

When do you unlock the walls with conveyor pass-through? Did they get rid of them or is it above tier 4?

Those are now in the "AWESOME" shop. You exchange large quantities of various materials (the more complex and fast the better) and this gets you tickets to spend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Just started fresh in experimental in the forest. The starting biomass energy grind seems much better this time. Not sure if it's just the solid biomass or maybe chainsaw is earlier.

They're in the ticket store. Tier 2.