Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Wait for the turn....
everything looking Tequila Sunrise...until
fishsauce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Tons of cocktails have a tiny little Umami/salty component, usually it's a dash of Worcestershire sauce, there's no way you could identify fish sauce as a component on its own.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah like a dash if fishsauce wont taste fishy. its like putting an anchovie filet or two into a sauce

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Once I was making myself a caesar and I realised I was out of worcestershire sauce, so I used fish sauce. It was perfectly fine.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So fish sauce in a michelada should in theory be excellent. Gotta keep that in mind for some summer experiments.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RoboRodent posted:

Once I was making myself a caesar and I realised I was out of worcestershire sauce, so I used fish sauce. It was perfectly fine.

i didn't think youd need more fish umami for a ceasar

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Pyrotoad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSU9ZFd0lhc

Hard would on the fried one, would probably try the scrambled chive one and like it, gotta pass on the raw one.

(Also this channel's pretty great for good food in general)

I thought those fluffballs were chicks from the preview but turns out it’s just a kind of mold? Phew!

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

gschmidl posted:

This channel is incredible. How are any Koreans alive?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERQoNuQfdLY

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/5e43aa069789c-food-danger-2020-11111111.php

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
A dash of fish sauce can be nice in a Bloody Mary.

Speaking of which, my best friend and I were recently in Madrid. He decided we needed Bloody Marys before karaoke, so we went to the store to buy ingredients. Unfortunately, it was a holiday weekend AND Greta Thunberg was in town, so everything was crowded to gently caress and the only grocery store we could find was slammed AND didn't have what we needed, so our Bloody Marys were made of:

Vodka
Tomato juice
Caper brine
Lemon juice
Black pepper

We called it a Señor Sangre, and they were okay! I just ate the capers after my first try, though.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
Hmm to be fair to Korea my favorite pizza in NYC does have a drizzle of Mike's Hot Honey on it, goes really well with the sopressata and sausage.

I ordered some Samyang ramen (spicy chicken cheese and regular spicy chicken but not the 2x) because it sounded really tasty, hopefully I was not steered wrong by this, the thread of disgusting food.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

yes
yes
no
yes

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

re: fish sauce chat - next time you make deviled eggs, melt a couple of anchovies in a pan and add them to the yolk mixture :discourse:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I wish to learn more about the act of melting anchovies please tell me more

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I wish to learn more about the act of melting anchovies please tell me more

Chop a couple up and fry them with your garlic and onions, they will melt into your dish and just add an umani flavour to it. No one will know you added anchovies. You could substitute some fish sauce or a blob of Marmite/Vegemite for the same effect and umani bomb.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LifeSunDeath posted:

Wait for the turn....
everything looking Tequila Sunrise...until
fishsauce

The real AFP is he's making a video game inspired drink

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Helith posted:

Chop a couple up and fry them with your garlic and onions, they will melt into your dish and just add an umani flavour to it. No one will know you added anchovies. You could substitute some fish sauce or a blob of Marmite/Vegemite for the same effect and umani bomb.

I was honestly just being sarcastic but this sounds cool and I'm gonna give it a shot next time I cook.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I was honestly just being sarcastic but this sounds cool and I'm gonna give it a shot next time I cook.

You're welcome to flavour town.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Tonight I toasted a couple apple cinnamon hot cross buns. Then I buttered both sides, added a spoon of milo, 15 or so tiny marshmallows, toasted them as well, and added a salted cracker.

There's no photo they didn't last long enough.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

turkey in the bread pan
peckin' out cum

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

a dish of honey to dip the pizza in.

Ugh, there's a pile of pizza places in Colorado that have bottles of honey at the table. You're supposed to dip/squeeze it onto the crusts after you eat the rest of the slice and it's always been slightly bizarre to me.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks Daddy Erdogan

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Casu Marzu posted:

Ugh, there's a pile of pizza places in Colorado that have bottles of honey at the table. You're supposed to dip/squeeze it onto the crusts after you eat the rest of the slice and it's always been slightly bizarre to me.

Some chili pepper honey I'd be about

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Quoting from Facebook "best husband ever,!!"

Weird synchronicity fact I met the picture OP in a small town where the most popular mom and pop pizza joint was famous for proofing the crust with honey and drizzling it on the crust.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zedprime posted:

Quoting from Facebook "best husband ever,!!"

Weird synchronicity fact I met the picture OP in a small town where the most popular mom and pop pizza joint was famous for proofing the crust with honey and drizzling it on the crust.

I can't even parse what that "soup" is supposed to consist of

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Ramen/egg drop soup?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's just a can of chicken broth and a pouch of pre-shredded cheese

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

RoboRodent posted:

Wouldn't Fish Sauce be perfectly on-brand for a Caesar?

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Iron Crowned posted:

I can't even parse what that "soup" is supposed to consist of

Butter and egg

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

:getin:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Rossmac212/status/1226206864666394626

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Acute Grill posted:

Wouldn't Fish Sauce be perfectly on-brand for a Caesar?

I've lost track of if people are talking about the drink, the salad, or the emperor, but all three feature some slightly fishy component

Caesar the Emperor would have been familiar with garum, a salty sauce made from fermented fish and one of the earliest mass production foodstuffs.

Caesar the Salad properly features anchovy as one of the dressing ingredients.

Caesar the Drink, invented in my otherwise culinarily devoid hometown, is a Bloody Mary but with Clamato instead of tomato juice. (My dad tells a story about ordering a caesar somewhere on course in the states where they'd never heard of one, having to explain Clamato, and waving it off when they sent someone to find the bottle of clam juice to add to the tomato juice...) The Worcestershire sauce used in both a bloody mary and a caesar also contains anchovies.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I think we were discussing how to improve the taste of Caesar dog food.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phy posted:

Caesar the Salad properly features anchovy as one of the dressing ingredients.

Not according to Caesar's daughter Rosa Cardini, who said it's Worcestershire sauce in the dressing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

chitoryu12 posted:

Not according to Caesar's daughter Rosa Cardini, who said it's Worcestershire sauce in the dressing.

Somebody went and hid anchovy in there, too!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

chitoryu12 posted:

Worcestershire sauce is fish sauce :ssh:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I use fish sauce in my beef jerky marinade. I also use it in pasta sauce. Okay fine, I use fish sauce in everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mmmm, the chalky taste of fondant