Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

echinopsis posted:

what does balances refer to in? like DC offset?

I still struggle to get my head around impedence and the implications

for example that amp I posted before can run down to 2 ohms I believe, requiring the two voice coils to be wired in parallel

I get that impedence is the AC equivalent of resistance (or similar) but I don’t get why some speakers have real high impedences. not that i’m asking for help on this regard just thinking out loud about my inadequacies

DC offset is a shifting of the waveform to compensate for the fact that a DC signal is only positive voltage, while an AC signal is positive and negative.

Balanced cables split a signal into two leads that use phase coherency to eliminate noise. Basically, the signal is split, and then the waveform is inverted 180 degrees. Any noise that is picked up along the length of the cable will be present in both signals, so when it gets to the receiving equipment and is flipped back into phase, the original signal remains, while the noise is removed due to the now opposing noise waveforms.

As for impedance, it's usually a measure of the whole electrical load of the entire AC circuit, including the resistance of any particular parts, and the efficiency thereof. Basically it's a measure of how hard your amp can expect to work when driving that speaker. If you try to push a 4ohm amp into a 2ohm speaker, you're gonna blow something up. If you push a 4ohm amp into an 8ohm speaker, you'll likely just have a quieter sound. EDIT: Multiple speakers require some math to figure the actual load.

Honestly, if you're really curious about the physics of all this, I suggest the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook--big black cover, been around for decades. It shows all the math for both electrical circuits and acoustics propagation specifically in an audio production setting. All sorts of handy poo poo.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

rickiep00h posted:

DC offset is a shifting of the waveform to compensate for the fact that a DC signal is only positive voltage, while an AC signal is positive and negative.

Balanced cables split a signal into two leads that use phase coherency to eliminate noise. Basically, the signal is split, and then the waveform is inverted 180 degrees. Any noise that is picked up along the length of the cable will be present in both signals, so when it gets to the receiving equipment and is flipped back into phase, the original signal remains, while the noise is removed due to the now opposing noise waveforms.

As for impedance, it's usually a measure of the whole electrical load of the entire AC circuit, including the resistance of any particular parts, and the efficiency thereof. Basically it's a measure of how hard your amp can expect to work when driving that speaker. If you try to push a 4ohm amp into a 2ohm speaker, you're gonna blow something up. If you push a 4ohm amp into an 8ohm speaker, you'll likely just have a quieter sound. EDIT: Multiple speakers require some math to figure the actual load.

Honestly, if you're really curious about the physics of all this, I suggest the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook--big black cover, been around for decades. It shows all the math for both electrical circuits and acoustics propagation specifically in an audio production setting. All sorts of handy poo poo.

To add to rickiep00h's excellent breakdown here, the specific instance where you want a DI for a balanced signal is when you're connecting a normally unbalanced signal (ie most instrument outputs) to a balanced system (ie a PA or other speaker system). The other main reason why you'd want to do this is that for the reasons rickie explained above, unbalanced signals are more susceptible to RF and inducted noise, but are increasingly more susceptible the longer the cable run. So for example, at one venue where I used to mix shows, we actually had instrument (Hi Z) inputs on the board for some reason, so in theory we could run a keyboard straight to the mixing console, but it would be like a 150' run or something ridiculous. Setting aside the fact that nobody carries instrument cables that long when they're touring, you'd get an insane amount of noise from that much high impedance cable. Plugging a keyboard into a DI meant we could run mic cables from the DI to the board (in this case, through stage boxes, not that that's super relevant).

The other case where we always used DIs was on basses. From a mix standpoint, it was always nice to have both a direct signal from the bass as well as a miked bass cab, just to have some flexibility.

Edit: the reason you don't necessarily run into much DI talk in studio settings is that a lot of interfaces on the market today have combo TS/TRS/XLR jacks, which effectively work as their own DI, at least to the extent that the different connections match impedance for you. It's not universally true, though---with some of those combo jacks, the 1/4" input is expecting to see a line level signal and won't really work well with a guitar, some are built to deal with whatever. For what it's worth, reamping kits are basically just a DI and a "reverse" DI, if you're familiar with those.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 10, 2020

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wow thanks. and thankyou for the yamaha book recommendation, I kinda like this stuff but specific for audio will be awesome. thankyou

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
That $99 Korg NTS-1 finally arrived today.

The out of the box sounds are nice and crisp, that sound like a much more expensive synth. The delay and reverbs are tiptop and I'm especially digging the tape delay. Running my Microfreak through it is :sotw:

I tried out of few Oscillators and they're also legitimately good as well. I don't know how many you can keep loading onto this thing, but I've got three so far (In addition to the base 5 that come preloaded).

Here's all the stuff you can load onto it right now:

https://korginc.github.io/logue-sdk/unit-index/

The only downside is all my mini to MIDI adapters don't work with this thing, apparently the 0 Coast adapters do work, so I've got those being shipped now. (jfc)

Philthy fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 11, 2020

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Oh what I wouldn't give for the NTS to have CV input.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Tayter Swift posted:

Anything can have CV input if you want it badly enough. How useful it will be, however :v:

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Considering it's got an audio in jack, is it not also effectively a hackable fx unit? If so, the community around them is going to be insane.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Philthy posted:

Here's all the stuff you can load onto it right now:

https://korginc.github.io/logue-sdk/unit-index/

Woah, last time I checked there was nothing but the plaits oscs and some paid stuff available.
Quess I’ll be installing some poo poo on the xd.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Tayter Swift posted:

This might be able to help on that path maybe?

https://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/nts_1/custom_panel.php

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The vpme ZeroScope kit came in today. Took about two hours to solder. Pretty easy kit. Synthcube had the full kit in stock for $80. It has a few menus and can act as a tuner. The encoders are push-button.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCY9tlEs9s0

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 12, 2020

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

New Behringer 2600 demo is up. I have to see if I can make some of those sounds on my Peak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8cpfNBnO-A

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

ColdPie posted:

New Behringer 2600 demo is up. I have to see if I can make some of those sounds on my Peak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8cpfNBnO-A

Any rumors on price?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Also really want to hear someone hook that up to a spring reverb

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Google Butt posted:

Also really want to hear someone hook that up to a spring reverb

The ARP2600 has a Spring Reverb in it, if its a 100% clone

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

toadee posted:

The ARP2600 has a Spring Reverb in it, if its a 100% clone

The barp is digital spring reverb

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
when is the damned berhinger 909 clone coming out I want one so bad

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Watch Roland successfully sue over copyright on the cymbal samples.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I'm pretty sure with enough trial and error and golden ears they can get one sample that sounds sufficiently close, but some people will whine forever that they don't have exactly the same timbre or some other bullshit excuse to keep not making music.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

So many drum machines come with 909 samples. But I guess they might just be 909-alike

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Dug out the TB-3, plugged in way too many cables in the modular, set up a beat with the Digitakt. Effects with the NTS-1 and SoundToys.

https://soundcloud.com/philtho/microns

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Blue LEDs, gross. It looks like a christmas tree.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Mr. Dick posted:

Watch Roland successfully sue over copyright on the cymbal samples.

Solution: ship machine without the samples, let firmware tool upload samples, point helpfully to obscure FTP that contains raw hex dumps on 909 ROMs that were made already in 1988 and is in no way affiliated with Behringer.

Those dumps are the real thing. Samples go through a chain of VCAs and summing and bullshit.

Given that people modded the TD-3 days after they received it, the Community Will Provide.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I was playing with the Peak trying to get sounds like out of that Behringer 2600 video and it turned into something I'm pretty happy with. Bass is the Peak with me fiddling with knobs, while the Deluge does everything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQdxE3OIdTA

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Laserjet 4P posted:

Solution: ship machine without the samples, let firmware tool upload samples, point helpfully to obscure FTP that contains raw hex dumps on 909 ROMs that were made already in 1988 and is in no way affiliated with Behringer.

Those dumps are the real thing. Samples go through a chain of VCAs and summing and bullshit.

Given that people modded the TD-3 days after they received it, the Community Will Provide.

Shipping with unflashed roms would instantly alienate, like, 80% of the target market.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I think it'd be more like they ship with their own samples, but, with a wink and a nod, leave the door open to upload your own.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
nnnnngh. I resisted buying the Zen delay so far but this video is just.. too much :gizz:

Can't handle all this GAS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlh3cumzz7Q

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

nnnnngh. I resisted buying the Zen delay so far but this video is just.. too much :gizz:

Thats a beautiful piece of gear. Inspiring. I think I'm going to try something similar with the tools I have available (a beautiful reason to pull ValhallaDelay around and see how it handles).

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I got a very cheap delay and the only saving grace is pure bypass, in fact if the device has no power running to it, it’ll still send a signal when bypassed. but when you hit delay the dry signal is attenuated and loses the top end. the self oscillation is kinda fun to play with as it’s own thing, but idk.. get what ya pay for I suppose

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

echinopsis posted:

I got a very cheap delay and the only saving grace is pure bypass, in fact if the device has no power running to it, it’ll still send a signal when bypassed. but when you hit delay the dry signal is attenuated and loses the top end. the self oscillation is kinda fun to play with as it’s own thing, but idk.. get what ya pay for I suppose

What was it, out of curiosity?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Excuse the double-post:

Anybody ITT have a Sonicware ELZ_1? Or anybody used one? I'm thinking of grabbing a Liven 8bit from their kickstarter, and there's a package deal that includes the ELZ_1 as a package deal at a pretty fantastic price, but I've never used one, and since it wasn't a heavily publicized synth from a big established company, I'm having trouble getting a good handle on what the workflow is like and what it does well, so I'm looking for general thoughts/feedback.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Can anybody recommend some good iOS effects chain apps/VSTs/Au3?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MockingQuantum posted:

What was it, out of curiosity?

brand says “rowin”

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2XzxDznmb9/?igshid=m5xv58ds4ar2

I believe it uses an older bucket brigade chip, suspect it’s an old design with true bypass. it’s certainly better than nothing as far as being one single effect that gives significantly more atmosphere when I’m playing monosynth

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSKBtEBRWi4

Cyberpunk af here

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
That is really excellent.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Erica is probably the most exciting mfgr in a long time. They just keep dropping platinum hits.
Syntrx preorders are live, speaking of :retrogames:
I’m not biting for now, though it pains me so. Got in a good space with what I’ve got and I’m not upending it for horny.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Just messing about with a 14 step pattern length on the TD-3

https://soundcloud.com/tenfingerstentoes/td3-jam-3-14-step

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I have managed to keep the GAS away by spending more time jamming with my existing gear. Here is a techno track

https://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/dilemma

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Deepmind-12 broke in my truck as I drove a few days. It was right behind my seat protected, idk why. Now it turns on but no sound, like the midi connection isn't being made from the keys to the board. I think it's because Behringer is making cheap poo poo. I promise a Moog would have been just fine in the backseat.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Getting pissed at my lovely mixer. Thinking about dumping it at guitar center for whatever I can get. Has a horrible static buzz I can’t deal with. Tried different outlets and even got a little plug thing that’s supposed to de static stuff. Garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I'm not sure if anyone has brought up lately how simply getting a Furman power conditioner in front of your gear takes care of lots of annoying problems and is generally a good thing. Get one with the pull out light to be a super nerd.