Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Alchenar posted:

I stopped at the last london mayoral election for the obvious reasons. Breaking out of tribal voting is a really liberating experience.

I was actually all on board for voting for a radical agenda this time around (the system is totally broken, and the Tories have stopped trying to at least keep it broken in a stable way, so why not). Ultimately antisemitism was a red line I wasn't prepared to cross so I sat the last one out. No I'm not going to be drawn on that, it's either obvious to you why that was a problem or it never will be.

It's either obvious to you why you're wrong about all the things you've been posting about this thread or it never will be.

E: 1956:
1st of Jan - Heroin possession becomes fully criminalised.
14th of March - Karl Marx memorial at Highgate cemetary is unveiled.
7th of May - Tory health minister rejects a call for the gov to lead an anti-smoking campaign as no ill-effects have yet been proven.
17th of October - The Queen opens the UK's first nuclear power plant.
12th of December - The IRA launches its Border Campaign in NI - about 150 IRA members attacked official targets on the border. A courthouse is burnt down, a half-built army barracks is blown up, and another (operational) army barracks is attacked.
25th of December - The first PG Tips ad with the chimpanzees airs.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's derek acorah he's posting from beyond the grave and now he's dead he can commune with the living, he has messages from the spirit world about the working class of the real world.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Alchenar posted:

No I'm not going to be drawn on that
is that because you can't rationalise a position that's obviously loving stupid

e: hey thread techies if I buy one of these can I just like plug my lovely laptop into it & use 2 monitors? I pinched a spare from a vacant office but my lovely work desktop doesn't support 2 monitors, so I can either wait like 2 months for IS to get me a new computer or just get finance to order me a thingy & have it by Friday

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 12, 2020

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Borrovan posted:

is that because you can't rationalise a position that's obviously loving stupid

e: hey thread techies if I buy one of these can I just like plug my lovely laptop into it & use 2 monitors? I pinched a spare from a vacant office but my lovely work desktop doesn't support 2 monitors, so I can either wait like 2 months for IS to get me a new computer or just get finance to order me a thingy & have it by Friday

Seems to be saying that if you have HDMI-out it can support 2x 1080p monitors off it?

E: And you have to be on Win 7. 8.1 or 10, plus it doesn't support HDCP so you won't be able to play Blu-rays etc. over it which is weird because I think my brother got some kind of display-splitter and he said it effectively nullifies the HDCP thing? I dunno I'd have to ask him.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 12, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

WhatEvil posted:

E: 1956:
1st of Jan - Heroin possession becomes fully criminalised.
This famously worked well.

Borrovan posted:

You'll need USB 3.0 on the laptop and it'll probably have a bunch of weird drivers, but sounds like it'll work.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Thanks guys, that's what I thought, but I've got prior for buying poo poo that doesn't do what I thought it would & am reluctant to get someone to hand-wave authorising an £80 gadget, it'll be at least another month before I can send them more biscuits whilst maintaining plausible deniability that it's not a bribe :)

e:
Saw a really good play the other week, "the political history of smack & crack". Never knew that before 1981, there were fewer than 3000 heroin addicts in the UK, almost all middle class. It was very explicit that supporting heroin producers in Afghanistan around that time was deliberate government policy, but also heavily implied that heroin addiction might have been deliberately weaponised against the working class as a response to the Brixton riots. Apparently it might be connected to some war criminal involved in the troubles who's written a bunch of books on psychological warfare getting appointed to some senior position.

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 12, 2020

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Ultimately antisemitism was a red line I wasn't prepared to cross so I sat the last one out. No I'm not going to be drawn on that, it's either obvious to you why that was a problem or it never will be.
lol gently caress off.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

Saw a really good play the other week, "the political history of smack & crack". Never knew that before 1981, there were fewer than 3000 heroin addicts in the UK, almost all middle class. It was very explicit that supporting heroin producers in Afghanistan around that time was deliberate government policy, but also heavily implied that heroin addiction might have been deliberately weaponised against the working class as a response to the Brixton riots. Apparently it might be connected to some war criminal involved in the troubles who's written a bunch of books on psychological warfare getting appointed to some senior position.
I've heard the "Met did it because Brixton and Toxteth" theory, also the "Iran did it post-'79 in retaliation for the Brits being Brits" theory and there's probably a little to both. But there's another one that seems like the most reasonable in an Occam's razor type way.

In that article, compare the two contemporary quotes:

quote:

in 1955 there were only 317 addicts to "manufactured" drugs in the whole of Britain, of which just 15% were dependent on heroin. That's a national total of 47.5 heroin addicts.

quote:

"But I do remember people queuing up outside Boots chemist in Piccadilly Circus at midnight to get their heroin pills, on prescription. They called them 'jacks' - heroin pills."

That seems at odds with itself. How could you have queues around the block for heroin at one Boots but less than 50 addicts in the whole country, most of them middle class?

Easy answer, most users weren't addicts. Addiction is defined as not having control over doing, taking or using something to the point where it could be harmful to you. The people queueing around the block were mostly manual or factory workers who went to the chemist, said "my back's killing me" or "I've got the runs again", got heroin, took it as directed, and never got to the point where they were losing their job or stealing from their family to pay for it. There was always a base of users, but criminalization is what turned a few thousand of them into addicts.

Iran and the Met could have thrown all the heroin they liked at the UK, but if they can't undercut The Boots Pure Drug Company then nobody's buying, and if they can you still don't get addicts.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Won't lie goons, I'm not having a great time of it right now. I've clung on to my job for a good few years now, because I was the only one in the company doing it and felt pretty good about my autonomy and really owning the entire thing. But since the company has stopped paying for any replacement laptops (because of cost, all the cheap repairs were done long ago), I've basically spent more and more time trying to cannibalise parts from existing units, fixing them up as best I can, and it's turned from a pretty relaxed and fun job into a constant, full time losing battle with a growing mountain of dusty, ageing tech and being completely ignore by the people who can fix it. And it has for a while.

So, I had my first big, proper burnout. I came into work this week feeling basically fine, then forty five minutes later looked at the laptops in front of me that represented a full morning of trying to make them barely usable when once I could have got them set up and cleaned in about twenty minutes, and just fell ill on the spot; insides churning, unable to focus on anyone or anything, barely managing to stay balanced.

Considering some of the horror stories of this thread and the troubles people have, I'm very lucky to have a sympathetic manager and supportive parents and friends who can provide some genuine support, but yikes. I've been in a weird place for a while where I have the self confidence I never had before, but the same behaviours of old shut-in me, and now I'm in a weird place where I feel kind of positive about finally having a reason to gently caress that place off and get myself back on track, but also really just needing to lie down and stare at nothing for a few weeks and occasionally cry a lot, which has been a big feature of the past few days.

I really just wanted to get that out, because amazingly it feels actually good to talk things out, instead of weird and upsetting like I would have found it previously. Stay strong, goons.

Borrovan posted:

Thanks guys, that's what I thought, but I've got prior for buying poo poo that doesn't do what I thought it would & am reluctant to get someone to hand-wave authorising an £80 gadget, it'll be at least another month before I can send them more biscuits whilst maintaining plausible deniability that it's not a bribe :)

What model laptop have you got? It should be pretty easy to google it and see what you're working with. I have some time to do that now. :v:

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 12, 2020

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

WhatEvil posted:

It's either obvious to you why you're wrong about all the things you've been posting about this thread or it never will be.

Wanted to come back to this because obviously I was very dismissive about it and other people have been too (not that it's entirely undeserved).

Seriously, you need to look at your thinking. If you find yourself having to make arguments in this fashion then something has gone seriously wrong with your ability to think critically and evaluate and form effective arguments. This is something many (most?) liberals seem to fall into. It's tied into a thinking of "common sense" as a useful guiding principle on political thought, whereas in reality people who think in this way tend to give into their own preconceived notions of what is right, rather than critically analysing things.

So as an example, prison sentences. Harsher prison sentences are associated with a lowering of the crime rate, obviously. It's just common sense.

Except they're not. The opposite is actually true. The stats are there to back this up. There are LOTS of things like this which are counterintuitive.

The problem is, "common sense" beyond like, very basic survival stuff (e.g. "I should not walk into the middle of a busy motorway if I want to stay alive") is really just a collection of your preconceived biases and can very often steer you in the wrong direction.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
the starmer and nandy speakers here are chatting absolute poo poo and a fake northerner came really close to getting poo poo thrown at him after claiming shes mixed race enough "for you political correctness sorts"

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I really just wanted to get that out, because amazingly it feels actually good to talk things out, instead of weird and upsetting like I would have found it previously. Stay strong, goons.

Just want to say I sympathise greatly because I've just had a really horrible experience with my first job in Canada making me feel like this too (I quit and am currently unemployed and battling with anxiety).

So solidarity mate, hope you're OK.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's pretty reasonable to have a breakdown because you rightly feel like what you spend most of your waking life doing is utterly pointless and that neither you nor anyone you care about is seeing any benefit from it, but the threat of starvation compels you to it regardless.

Hence why honestly I'm not sure if I ever want to do anything other than put things on a shelf, cos at the end of that, at least you have a tidy shelf.

Office work sounds genuinely awful tbh, and I feel for all you poor bastards stuck doing it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 12, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

WhatEvil posted:

Wanted to come back to this because obviously I was very dismissive about it and other people have been too (not that it's entirely undeserved).

Seriously, you need to look at your thinking. If you find yourself having to make arguments in this fashion then something has gone seriously wrong with your ability to think critically and evaluate and form effective arguments. This is something many (most?) liberals seem to fall into. It's tied into a thinking of "common sense" as a useful guiding principle on political thought, whereas in reality people who think in this way tend to give into their own preconceived notions of what is right, rather than critically analysing things.

So as an example, prison sentences. Harsher prison sentences are associated with a lowering of the crime rate, obviously. It's just common sense.

Except they're not. The opposite is actually true. The stats are there to back this up. There are LOTS of things like this which are counterintuitive.

The problem is, "common sense" beyond like, very basic survival stuff (e.g. "I should not walk into the middle of a busy motorway if I want to stay alive") is really just a collection of your preconceived biases and can very often steer you in the wrong direction.
There's a good study on exactly this, that shows a correlation between being cognitively taxed and 'common sense' thinking (understandable, you're not going to do multivariate analysis when a dangerous animal is charging at you, even if maybe it does just want a hug) and between this type of simple analysis and conservative/status quo based/simplistically moralist thought.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What model laptop have you got? It should be pretty easy to google it and see what you're working with. I have some time to do that now. :v:
Not telling, use that time to do something for you :p

Stay strong, comrade, sounds like you're doing what you need to

e: thanks for the offer though, it's good of you :)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1227646725147578368?s=21

lol

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

There's a good study on exactly this, that shows a correlation between being cognitively taxed and 'common sense' thinking (understandable, you're not going to do multivariate analysis when a dangerous animal is charging at you, even if maybe it does just want a hug) and between this type of simple analysis and conservative/status quo based/simplistically moralist thought.
For those without institutional access

Totally keeping that one close to hand

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Office work sounds genuinely awful tbh, and I feel for all you poor bastards stuck doing it.

Honestly, it was really good for a few years, then over the course of a few months it just... wasn't. It was slow enough to become normalised, but fast enough to completely blindside me.

Anyway, I've got a few days to play Overwatch and go for some walks and get everything out of my system, then will look to talk it out with my manager next week. At the very least I know from past experience he will tell the relevant people that they have managed to gently caress an important project through neglect, because he's as annoyed at the lack of support as I am.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

We were just talking about job applications the other day:

https://twitter.com/zenalbatross/status/1227637604696416262?s=20

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

My phone just sent me an article about how wales is being discriminated against in terms of fast car charging points. Apparently wales has fewer fast charger points than milton keynes, so Saith I'd like to apologiche. This cannot be right. I'm just lucky I've got no reason to go to wales after they were rude and unwelcoming the last time.

You are such a petty oval office.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So, I had my first big, proper burnout. I came into work this week feeling basically fine, then forty five minutes later looked at the laptops in front of me that represented a full morning of trying to make them barely usable when once I could have got them set up and cleaned in about twenty minutes, and just fell ill on the spot; insides churning, unable to focus on anyone or anything, barely managing to stay balanced.

I had major meltdown in the office in my last 'proper' job. I'd been under exceeding stress for months - covering 5 vacancies in my team but not allowed to fill them 'budgets' etc, but being me a prisoner to a sense of Duty making sure all the work still got done. To cut a very long story short, the straw that broke the camel's back happened and I blew up in an open plan office with about 80 staff in it. Was off sick with stress for a few weeks, gave my notice while off sick but I did go back for a few weeks to work out my notice.

Ed: bolded the 'IN'

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 12, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

It's pretty reasonable to have a breakdown because you rightly feel like what you spend most of your waking life doing is utterly pointless and that neither you nor anyone you care about is seeing any benefit from it, but the threat of starvation compels you to it regardless.

Hence why honestly I'm not sure if I ever want to do anything other than put things on a shelf, cos at the end of that, at least you have a tidy shelf.

I used to enjoy being a chambermaid - when I left school before starting uni and again while doing weekend jobs to boost my pathetic income from my office job in my 20s.
You go into a (sortable) mess, work alone and in your own way so long as you reach the agreed end point of the layout of the room, and 10-20 minutes later come out with a satisfyingly tidy room. Something very satisfying about a job where you do your time, don't, can't, take work home with you and can forget about it until the next day.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I had major meltdown in the office in my last 'proper' job. I'd been under exceeding stress for months - covering 5 vacancies in my team but not allowed to fill them 'budgets' etc, but being me a prisoner to a sense of Duty making sure all the work still got done. To cut a very long story short, the straw that broke the camel's back happened and I blew up in an open plan office with about 80 staff in it. Was off sick with stress for a few weeks, gave my notice while off sick but I did go back for a few weeks to work out my notice.

Initially read that as "and I blew up an open plan office with about 80 staff in it" which was a much more exciting end to the story.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I used to enjoy being a chambermaid - when I left school before starting uni and again while doing weekend jobs to boost my pathetic income from my office job in my 20s.
You go into a (sortable) mess, work alone and in your own way so long as you reach the agreed end point of the layout of the room, and 10-20 minutes later come out with a satisfyingly tidy room. Something very satisfying about a job where you do your time, don't, can't, take work home with you and can forget about it until the next day.

Yeah exactly, I like my current job, honestly, I just wish there was more hours of it.

It's also (in the sense of, they cut management so there's nobody to tell me it isn't) piecework which is a plus :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

the straw that broke the camel's back happened and I blew up in an open plan office with about 80 staff in it.
Bolding this because I missed it on the first pass.

e: ^^^ :hfive:

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

WhatEvil posted:

This is really the same issue as the mathematical models of economies. If all you have is an opaque mathematical or statistical model (or, worse, a simple historical time series) that predicts ‘crime goes up when sentences do’, you have nothing of political value.

If you can’t come come up with a casual explanation for _why_ lower sentences reduce crime, then you will lose every time to the guy who argues ‘criminals in jail do not commit crimes outside jail, what’s wrong with your model if gets something so obvious wrong?’

Even if you are completely confident your model is flawless, it’s often worth sticking to weaker but more naturally plausible claims. An argument like ‘spending more money on prisons is pretty much the least effective way of reducing crime known’ has the advantage of not merely being true, but also making sense.

I doubt there are many good policies that can’t also be similarly and truthfully explained to the average sixty year old.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Actually no I like to think that ted kaczynski is actually posting under an assumed identity.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
there is nothing worse on the face of this earth than jobseeking, from CV writing to interviews to loving LinkedIn I hate hate hate all of it

been thinking for a few weeks about taking a summer job on one of the Hebrides, got family connections up there and apparently there are quite a few hotels that are so desperate for seasonal staff that they'll give you room and board if you'll do the full April-October

but this week the actual logistics have kicked in and I'm realising I'll have to write a loving CV and I know the first question anyone's going to ask is "why haven't you been employed for the last couple of years" and honestly gently caress that noise

e: if someone gave me a chance to delete one site from the internet for good and the options were Stormfront and LinkedIn I wouldn't even have to think twice

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 12, 2020

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

marktheando posted:

Talking of twitter, I know this isn't the right thread for this but I'm not sure what the right one would be.

https://twitter.com/CIA/status/1227638516403843074?s=20

I have seen the CIA Created* card so many times in Twilight Struggle that even catching a glimpse of that logo gets my mind racing on how to best play it/discard it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

WhatEvil posted:

We were just talking about job applications the other day:

https://twitter.com/zenalbatross/status/1227637604696416262?s=20

I've been either very lucky or very sensible to avoid applying for major national chains, or both.

Little local charities have been mostly pretty decent at avoiding this kind of bullshit.

I had an interview today, I have another next week, wish me luck frens

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Genuinely at this point I think the automated screening has only heightened the problem of getting jobs through nepotism, or some other way of bypassing the pleb filter. It's almost certainly more worth your time to find work directly than to bother with automated bullshit.

Guess they really are keen to bring back "go down the high street with a stack of CVs" lol.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

OwlFancier posted:

Guess they really are keen to bring back "go down the high street with a stack of CVs" lol.

What high street :lol:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Even if you just throw them at empty buildings you're probably still more likely to get a job out of it.

Really think this is something labour should focus on for the next election tbh. I don't think there's really any credible way to spin it as bad cos it's literally helping people to get jobs.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

This is where we're all going wrong....

https://twitter.com/ZaidJilani/status/1227664578659717120?s=20

And the latest innovation:

https://twitter.com/She2legit1/status/1227683877549940738?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 12, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A man who has never worked in a building that operates 24 hours a day.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

executive_workday_breakdown.xls

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

radmonger posted:

This is really the same issue as the mathematical models of economies. If all you have is an opaque mathematical or statistical model (or, worse, a simple historical time series) that predicts ‘crime goes up when sentences do’, you have nothing of political value.

If you can’t come come up with a casual explanation for _why_ lower sentences reduce crime, then you will lose every time to the guy who argues ‘criminals in jail do not commit crimes outside jail, what’s wrong with your model if gets something so obvious wrong?’

Even if you are completely confident your model is flawless, it’s often worth sticking to weaker but more naturally plausible claims. An argument like ‘spending more money on prisons is pretty much the least effective way of reducing crime known’ has the advantage of not merely being true, but also making sense.

I doubt there are many good policies that can’t also be similarly and truthfully explained to the average sixty year old.

Yeah those are good points. Don't really have that much to add but this ties into the whole thing of making left-wing politics accessible IMO - break things down into simply-stated arguments which are easy to agree with. I think we struggle with that often.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Thornberry

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

So George Galloway has launched his own party.

I know nothing about the politics of the rainy pedop-isle, but how likely is Cat Boy to win a few seats?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spangly A posted:

Thornberry

Didn't know the moon had a CLP but fair enough.

PawParole posted:

So George Galloway has launched his own party.

I know nothing about the politics of the rainy pedop-isle, but how likely is Cat Boy to win a few seats?

Do you mean his merger with the CPGBML to form the CPGBML(R) a month or two ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

A man who has never worked in a building that operates 24 hours a day.
Also a man who has never worked down a mine, where you don't want to be that guy.

Also at a major bank lol, because the first person in isn't the manager, or the most eager to advance cashier. It's the guy in the blue jumper with the radio who's checking to see if someone's hiding with a shotgun. So I'm willing to bet that Bloomberg has never been the first guy in, but probably didn't regard the guy sipping coffee after having not been murdered as a real person.