Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
echi, please don’t kill you are self. if you need a hug I’m here for you bro.

the rest of you, build a sick amd rig to give your life meaning. your threads need ripping, don’t leave them hanging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

gonna build a nasty server - 2 epyc chips and 4 tb ram :rock:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what are you serving OP?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

building a new rig later this year myself, now it's looking like I might just be using amd

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i bought amd for my most recent home pc

can confirm: threads rip

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

echi, please don’t kill you are self. if you need a hug I’m here for you bro.

thankyou bro, means a lot

I need a new job and I need more money 🥵

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i bought amd for my most recent home pc

can confirm: threads rip

same, though while the stuff i needed to speed up has indeed gotten sped up (not least way more cache helps a lot), i keep actually just ripping that one thread, which i believe is not what the ripping is supposed to be about.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

which horrible gas is going to kill you first

lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

thankyou bro, means a lot

ya continue to live plz thank u

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

same

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

same, though while the stuff i needed to speed up has indeed gotten sped up (not least way more cache helps a lot), i keep actually just ripping that one thread, which i believe is not what the ripping is supposed to be about.

what finally made me push the button is that single-thread performance is comparable to intel's high end

except, i get like 4x as many cores and 8x as much cache as a comparably-priced intel xeon. i was extremely reluctant to buy amd but hey, what are you gonna do

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

what you’re going to do is buy AMD

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
has anyone recently built a rig with amd cpu and gpu?!? that's some next level poo poo i tell you

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

built a Ryzen 2700x and RX580 rig this past November :whatup:

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

so far v needs suiting

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AmD GPU’s are bad still

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

AmD GPU’s are bad still

mlyp

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

yes, but not in the same way

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i suspect new amd processor could render quicker than my gpu

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

has anyone recently built a rig with amd cpu and gpu?!? that's some next level poo poo i tell you

planning to do that if i get a new job, performance wise 5700xt is supposed to be little better than 2070 while being cheaper

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

RustyKnight posted:

planning to do that if i get a new job, performance wise 5700xt is supposed to be little better than 2070 while being cheaper

come on man

let's not get fanboy up in here

lol @ the 5700xt

you could afford a 1080 at that price

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

AmD GPU’s are bad still

aside from the mud physics poo poo in RDR2 being hosed up the 5700 XT is quite knees suiteing

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
A 1080 is quite a bit slower than a 5700 XT in most situations. The 5700 and 5700 XT are pretty good buys.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

aside from the mud physics poo poo in RDR2 being hosed up the 5700 XT is quite knees suiteing

"aside from my games not working, this game card is really good"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you VR at all (and you should VR), the nvidia cards are the clear winners. Single Pass Stereo alone puts even the 10xx cards above anything AMD has.

I will say the 20xx nvidia cards are kind of a wet fart though. I'm hanging on to my 1080ti until the 30xx cards

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
No one VRs, though.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Lambert posted:

No one VRs, though.
I feel like people have backed off the videogame portion of it but here in academia it's pretty huge because there's still a lot of engineering disciplines loving around with it to figure out if it can have practical uses.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you VR at all (and you should VR), the nvidia cards are the clear winners. Single Pass Stereo alone puts even the 10xx cards above anything AMD has.

I will say the 20xx nvidia cards are kind of a wet fart though. I'm hanging on to my 1080ti until the 30xx cards

dangit, I just got a 2070 for VR and it works great, but now you're telling me i should've actually consumed something else? lucky ducky!

(but for real, VR is great, especially the doom 3 mod)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lambert posted:

No one VRs, though.

you should though

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m terrified that it would be like, now I don’t want to live in the real world anymore

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

it is like that. and it’s awesome.

I’m exaggerating a bit, but what it will do for sure is kill your enthusiasm for games on a monitor.

I pretty much just play my switch and VR. the switch gets a pass because I play it in bed at night

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

but my enthusiasm for playing computer games is already dead

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It's like wearing huge heavy ski goggles you get really sweaty under while playing a simplistic game on a screen behind an insect screen. It's basically a novelty good for about 15 minutes of play, and selling the hardware after that.

It will make you appreciate how good games on a monitor are, free of gimmicks that add nothing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

source your terrible YouTube comment section quotes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i have this irrational fear we will have generations who finish work at 5 on friday, jack into their VR at 7pm and stay that way until 10:30 sunday night

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
people should dedicate that time to tv instead

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think that weirdly enough vr for movies (which may look a bit different than a usual movie) is the bit that makes by far the most sense. and not so much for glitzy effects, rather experiences akin to sitting on a footstool right on the stage of a play, freely looking around at things happening around you.

at least i find that kind of deep immersion far more compelling an idea than making gaming more cumbersome to induce some nausea.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

nah, the experiences are very cool and way different than what you would get on a monitor, but it’s not ever a “I want to live here” thing.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i don't think there are any video games i like that don't involve spreadsheets

i don't expect to see vr versions of them any time soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i don't think there are any video games i like that don't involve spreadsheets

i don't expect to see vr versions of them any time soon

Unironically the same.

echinopsis posted:

i have this irrational fear we will have generations who finish work at 5 on friday, jack into their VR at 7pm and stay that way until 10:30 sunday night

That's never going to happen, VR simply isn't appealing enough of a product. People that are all about spending every waking hour on social media aren't going to be enticed by playing simple games in an isolating environment.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i think that weirdly enough vr for movies (which may look a bit different than a usual movie) is the bit that makes by far the most sense. and not so much for glitzy effects, rather experiences akin to sitting on a footstool right on the stage of a play, freely looking around at things happening around you.

at least i find that kind of deep immersion far more compelling an idea than making gaming more cumbersome to induce some nausea.

Except people want to surf the net while watching a movie. Who gives their full attention to the latest Hollywood dross. There's a reason cinema attendance has been falling for a long time now.