Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

https://i.redd.it/4jod5qp41eg41.png

edit: while we're on the subject, possibly dumb question, but is there an actual distinction between "mental addiction" and "physical addiction"? the lobsters keep saying there is, and jorp suffers from the latter, but is not lowly enough to suffer the former.

I mean sure but not in the way Jorp fans are implying. If I shot you up full of heroin your body would overtime require the substance to feel normal and depending on the substance literally kill you if you just decided to stop doing the drug. Buuuuuut more often than not people who become addicted to a thing usually do so because they develop a habit to do the thing they're addicted to. Overtime this habit leads to the body craving more of it which makes it harder to not reflexively do more of the thing you're addicted to.

With Jorp it's likely that his awful idiot diet made him feel like garbage, he went to the doctor to find out why he felt like garbage, likely just describing his anxiety symptoms then got some benzos to help with it, changed nothing about his diet, took benzos more and more because he wasn't feeling any better and it obviously couldn't be related to his diet, got addicted to benzos decided to have an amazingly dimwitted approach to trying to solve his addiction, and the rest was history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Mr Interweb posted:

edit: while we're on the subject, possibly dumb question, but is there an actual distinction between "mental addiction" and "physical addiction"? the lobsters keep saying there is, and jorp suffers from the latter, but is not lowly enough to suffer the former.

Adding on to the reply above, consider the things that people become addicted to that are not drugs of any kind- sex, gambling, food, shopping, Warcraft, etc. These things do not create physical dependence or withdrawal, but they are addictions.
Jorp followers would surely see anyone succumbing to mere addiction of a nasty destructive habit as weak willed. Lobster daddy couldn't just bootstraps his way out of this one so it's not his fault, he's not REALLY an addict, addicts have weak spirits and no self control you see.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mr Interweb posted:

Our dumb monkey brains get addicted to things all the time and if we're lucky they're mostly harmless things like favorite foods or an exercise routine and if we're unlucky they're things that have physical consequences to withdrawal like heroin or my terrible posts.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Mr Interweb posted:

there's a distinction like other people have said, but his daughter and his fans think that a physical addiction is just something a real man can will himself into breaking through just sweating out the cravings; his daughter was desperately trying to find a clinic that'd let him go cold turkey because she interpreted North American doctors' recommendation that he do a slow benzo taper as a disgusting insult against her dad's mental fortitude

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

They aren't sending us their best

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1227583159111421960

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

lol

survey says: "meth"

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

in february???

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Flavius Aetass posted:

in february???

they were on meth and the air condition humming became the sound of blood coursing through their veins. To destroy it was to destroy their very circulatory system

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

No those are absolutely the best white supremacists have

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Guy in the top right looks like he's just flexing his neck Cardassian style, but then you look closer and lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I know we're not supposed to make fun of looks but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QoILZ5Xm6c

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

quote:

The friend believed the murder was ordered from “the Walls”—UAB inside Oklahoma State Reformatory—because it was rumored Langworthy was working with law enforcement. However, Langworthy’s mother, Toni, said she believed her son was killed over the air conditioning dispute.

The "air conditioning" dispute was that if he came by where his ...girlfriend... was living and she didn't come out, he would trash poo poo.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Chairman posted:

there's a distinction like other people have said, but his daughter and his fans think that a physical addiction is just something a real man can will himself into breaking through just sweating out the cravings; his daughter was desperately trying to find a clinic that'd let him go cold turkey because she interpreted North American doctors' recommendation that he do a slow benzo taper as a disgusting insult against her dad's mental fortitude
I think it's the other way around - a strong, fully self-actualized real man can Triumph Of The Will his way through mental addictions (and if you can't then you are weak and pathetic and incapable of dealing with your own poo poo), but physical addictions are an external force (like, when doctors bought off by Big Pharma force you take addictive psych meds) and not your fault.

It's a way for Mikhaila and the superfans to explain away how Doctor Slay The Chaos Dragons In Your Life With Your Superior Mind ended up a broken, brain-damaged shell of a men making GBS threads in a Russian bedpan - it had nothing to do with any personal weaknesses or mental lapses on JorP's part, it was because evil doctors got him physically addicted. Not his fault! Keeping buying his books! The 12 Rules still really work!

FMguru has issued a correction as of 21:59 on Feb 12, 2020

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Alan Smithee posted:

I know we're not supposed to make fun of looks but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QoILZ5Xm6c

He did nazi the cops coming

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

quote:

Benzodiazepine withdrawal can be severe and can provoke life-threatening withdrawal symptoms, such as seizures,[13] particularly with abrupt or overly rapid dosage reduction from high doses or long time users.[5]

A minority of individuals will experience a protracted withdrawal syndrome whose symptoms may persist at a sub-acute level for months, or years after cessation of benzodiazepines. The likelihood of developing a protracted withdrawal syndrome can be minimized by a slow, gradual reduction in dosage.[17]

sounds like the lobster is cooked

Succbot Circlejerk
Jan 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not going to tell you where you're going, because that's classified. I can't tell you what you're digging up, because I didn't need to know it. But what I can tell you is if you don't come and dig, then millions of people will die and the entire Prypat River and its ground water will be contaminated, they say forever. And if you say that isn't enough for you to help us dig out Jordan Peterson's lower intestines, then I won't believe you

Succbot Circlejerk
Jan 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Now you look like ministry of colon

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

looks like they murdered him because he made them look all look like dog poo poo in comparison

quote:

A friend of Langworthy, who knew the gang was after him, tried to warn his friend but said the victim responded, “I’m Hollywood, I ain’t running from poo poo.” One gang member said his last words, as he lay with a burning shoulder, were: “Why? Am I going to die?”

whoops

Dr. Killjoy has issued a correction as of 18:42 on Feb 12, 2020

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Dr. Killjoy posted:

looks like they murdered him because he made them look all look like dog poo poo in comparison

smh... we Cowboy Chads cant even catch a break in the aryan brotherhood...

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
“Son, there ain’t no Proud Boys chapter around for a hundred miles, you’re gonna have to settle your white supremacy jimmies at the local Aryan Brotherhood”

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Typical Hollywood liberal. Talking about saving the environment and then having Nazi friends

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

— quote from man about to die

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Same energy.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

FMguru posted:

I think it's the other way around - a strong, fully self-actualized real man can Triumph Of The Will his way through mental addictions (and if you can't then you are weak and pathetic and incapable of dealing with your own poo poo), but physical additions are an external force (like, when doctors bought off by Big Pharma force you take addictive psych meds) and not your fault.

It's a way for Mikhaila and the superfans to explain away how Doctor Slay The Chaos Dragons In Your Life With Your Superior Mind ended up a broken, brain-damaged shell of a men making GBS threads in a Russian bedpan - it had nothing to do with any personal weaknesses or mental lapses on JorP's part, it was because evil doctors got him physically addicted. Not his fault! Keeping buying his books! The 12 Rules still really work!

yeah this is how i interpreted it as well

oh, look what i found from jorp;s book:

the lobster king posted:

Before you help someone, you should find out why that person is in trouble. You shouldn't merely assume that he or she is a noble victim of unjust circumstances and exploitation. It is far more likely that a given individual has just decided to reject the path upward, because of its difficulty.

sounds like solid advice

Mr Interweb has issued a correction as of 21:48 on Feb 12, 2020

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr Interweb posted:

yeah this is how i interpreted it as well

sounds like solid advice

That's painfully self contradictory even internally. The gently caress.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

CommonShore posted:

That's painfully self contradictory even internally. The gently caress.

welcome to the jorp experience. note that Bill C-16, the trans rights bill he opposed, was merely the federal government updating the human rights code to align with what most provinces had already amended. it only affected federal workers -- education falls under provincial jurisdiction so it had no impact on universities. in ontario where he worked, the provincial government amended the human rights code to include gender expression in 2012, 4 years before jorp decided this was a problem. and in that amended language it says it's fine to refer to a trans person as 'they' if you dont' want to use their preferred pronoun, something jorp already did in the first place.

the whole thing is dumb as poo poo.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

there's more

quote:

In my experience - clinical and otherrwise - it's just never been that simple. Besides, i you buy the story that everything terrible just happened on its own with no personal responsibility on the part of the victim, you deny that peson all agency in the past (and, by implication, in the present and future, as well). In this manner, you strip him or her of all power.

How do I know your suffering is not the demand of martyrdom for my resources, s that you can oh-so-momentarily stave off the inevitable? Maybe you have even moved beyond caring about the impending collapse, but don't yet want to admit it. Maybe my help won't rectify anything - can't rectify anything - but it does keep that too-terrible, too-personal realization temporarily at bay. Maybe your misery is a demand placed on me so that I fail too, so that the gap you so painfully feel between us can be reduced, while you degenerate and sink. How do i know that you would refuse to play such a game? how do i know that i am not myself merely pretending to be responsible while pointlessly 'helping' you, so that "I" don' have do something truly difficult - and genuinely responsible?

yeah jp, addicts sound like pretty awful people

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

quote:

Maybe your misery is a demand placed on me so that I fail too, so that the gap you so painfully feel between us can be reduced, while you degenerate and sink.

lmfao just a complete black hole of self absorbed headass

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol sounds like a guy who needs benzos to avoid killing himself from self-hatred

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Mr Interweb posted:

[...]
sounds like solid advice

conservatives luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv that poo poo because it means poor people deserve to be poor, they want to be poor, it is their natural state :capitalism:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Flesh Forge posted:

conservatives luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv that poo poo because it means poor people deserve to be poor, they want to be poor, it is their natural state :capitalism:
Yep. Same thing as Prosperity Gospel or The Secret. There is actually a Thing you can do be rich and happy, so if you are not rich and happy it must mean that you are not doing the Thing (or that you are not doing it correctly or not doing it hard enough). Your poverty and unhappiness are, therefore, entirely your own fault - you can end them any time just by doing the Thing (or doing it harder or better). It's not the system's fault - it's all on you.

JorP's stuff is the same. If you're unhappy it's because you haven't taken proper control of your life (starting with cleaning your room andwashing your dick). You are the cause of, and the solution to, all of your problems. Not biology, not genetics, not the system, not your parents, not the toxic family environment you were born into - it's all on you. You can either sink into this morass and be miserable for the rest of your life, or you can get it together and rise above. Which do you choose? It's up to you.

Which is why it's so funny that he's made such a car crash of his life, and that all the explanations that his grifty daughter gives always blame something else (multiple incredibly rare reactions to things, sinister doctors who kept giving him the wrong medicines, etc)

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Flesh Forge posted:

These people are always completely loving baffled when I tell them that I always give money to panhandlers and that I genuinely do not care what caused them to be poor. I don't want to quiz them about their decision making abilities, I don't care if they're addicted to something - I have a spare $10 in my pocket and they could use a sandwich, so why wouldn't I want to give them something?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

pookel posted:

These people are always completely loving baffled when I tell them that I always give money to panhandlers and that I genuinely do not care what caused them to be poor. I don't want to quiz them about their decision making abilities, I don't care if they're addicted to something - I have a spare $10 in my pocket and they could use a sandwich, so why wouldn't I want to give them something?

That's sort of the macro-problem with social services in America. Everyone to the right of AOC seems to think it's a worthy use of time and resources to try and create little games and enforcement mechanisms to make sure we only help those "worthy" of help, when in reality it's a lot more efficient to just give them the loving money, not be a nosy rear end in a top hat and just do basic due diligence against anyone who's actually running a sizeable scam.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That's sort of the macro-problem with social services in America. Everyone to the right of AOC seems to think it's a worthy use of time and resources to try and create little games and enforcement mechanisms to make sure we only help those "worthy" of help, when in reality it's a lot more efficient to just give them the loving money, not be a nosy rear end in a top hat and just do basic due diligence against anyone who's actually running a sizeable scam.

comes up with M4A a lot too. "What if a non-citizen wants to use it?" and the simple fact is that it's cheaper to just charge them a small, flat fee like most other countries do (or even not charge at all) to recoup some of the difference and take the "loss" because the alternative - setting up a big means testing verification bureaucracy - is way more expensive than eating the difference

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The thing I think a lot of people don't realize is that actual scammers have more time, energy, ability and motivation to extract money from social service programs than regular poor people ever will. So no matter how hard you make it to access services, the scammers are going to be able to get their money. It's everyone else who gets hurt.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

pookel posted:

The thing I think a lot of people don't realize is that actual scammers have more time, energy, ability and motivation to extract money from social service programs than regular poor people ever will. So no matter how hard you make it to access services, the scammers are going to be able to get their money. It's everyone else who gets hurt.

isn't this the actual goal anyway?

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
remind me to never ever take benzos or opioids jesus fuckin christ

i'm enough of a mess without that poo poo in my life

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I loving freak every time I hear about people doing Fentanyl because I had someone close to me who had a kind of cardiac event at an ER, got intubated for a few days, regular pain medicine didn't work so they had to switch to Fent while they were under and instead of recovering normally after they were taken off the tube we pretty much spent an extra week stuck there dealing with what seemed like some sort of major brain damage and near-complete break from reality. Like I literally had a doctor tell me "Well we're reasonably sure there's not any permanent major brain damage".

Like that's the sort of thing that happens when you're being administered it in an in-hospital setting, wtf must be going on if you're just abusing it?

Intel&Sebastian has issued a correction as of 23:55 on Feb 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

oh but you see *comic about feeding the wild animals at the national park*

We’re doing them a kindness, honey