Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Doctor TikTok-ed off with injured All Blacks loose forward Savea
iunderstandeachindividualword.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Headline from January 2021, with an overzealous wordfilter

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1227257246603673600?s=19

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
This 26-year-old became a small-town California mayor. Then a jet dumped fuel on her snakebit city

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

[confusedly looking offscreen at cue card] :arghfist: Bernie was....rubbed??

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.studyfinds.org/many-parents-giving-their-babies-outlandish-names-to-stand-out-on-social-media/

Wrenlow should be required to fight in the next Street Fighter tournament.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They all sound like names from a Forgotten Realms campaign

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Aren't all names just made up names?

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

(Also, for a second I thought that baby in the picture was named "Pexels.com")

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
My son is also named "the vine."

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I could see one of these idiots naming their kid Pexels and probably Pexels.com too...

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Amphigory posted:

Aren't all names just made up names?

A lot of traditional names originally meant something in another language

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

It's like this dumb poo poo -

- but for birth certificates and with precisely zero external goading required because everyone believes they're one viral video away from being one of those unboxing family success stories

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Baby names have always been faddish, I can't muster up any animosity on this whatsoever

There were probably people complaining in 50AD about kids being named after Jesus' apostles, instead of using "proper names"

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

And these kids will be thankful they can have firstname.lastname@outlook.com. Don't overlook that positive...

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
my girlfriend's been doing genealogy research and she's found some dumb loving names going back a few hundred years. My favorite so far is "Zebulon"

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

gey muckle mowser posted:

my girlfriend's been doing genealogy research and she's found some dumb loving names going back a few hundred years. My favorite so far is "Zebulon"

Biblical names have always been pretty popular within certain circles. I ran into a Naphthali the other day, cut from the same cloth if I"m not mistaken.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I know two of those irl

mind you in one case I really wish I didn't

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Amphigory posted:

Baby names have always been faddish, I can't muster up any animosity on this whatsoever

There were probably people complaining in 50AD about kids being named after Jesus' apostles, instead of using "proper names"

Aren't most of those well established Jewish names back in those times?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I have ancestors called Peleg and Zealous, not going to point a finger at any Jaxons or Neveahs :shrug:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Zebulon (Zvulon) goes back more than a few hundred years.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I know it's a biblical name but it still sounds like a Star Trek planet to me

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I know it's a biblical name but it still sounds like a Star Trek planet to me

I mean, there's a reason for that

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I can believe a kid named Zebulon hating that their name sounds like a star trek planet (yes I get why it sounds like a star trek planet), I knew a Beltran that hated his name because "it's a transformer name."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Amphigory posted:

There's been a definite trend of choosing more a wider range of names though, whatever reasons people may have.

As an example, the 10 most popular girls' names in Denmark were given to 140‰ of girls born in 2018 compared to 267‰ in 1985.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The First Lady of Lesotho has been charged with hiring hitmen to kill the previous First Lady and take her spot.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

This is the Mirror Universe, that's just how we do things :colbert:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Radio Paranoia posted:

Biblical names have always been pretty popular within certain circles. I ran into a Naphthali the other day, cut from the same cloth if I"m not mistaken.

US President Warren Harding's middle name was Gamaliel which while being biblical, sounds like an elf that got lost on his way to Rivendell.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly names are only weird if you're not used to hearing them.

I live in Tennessee, which is literally nonsense that no one is even sure where it originates from- the best people can guess is that it's a Cherokee modification of some Yuchi word, and in it is somewhere called Tullahoma which I can't even begin to think sounds weird because I've just known it all my life, but when I think about it in context to other names or places it comes off as weird.

It sounds more like a flower than anything.

Give people enough time and Zune Tusux will be just as accepted as any other name out there.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Krankenstyle posted:

As an example, the 10 most popular girls' names in Denmark were given to 140‰ of girls born in 2018 compared to 267‰ in 1985.

Help me here. I'm serious. What the gently caress is this? Does your country/language use perthou / permil instead of percent?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It was bait and you fell for it

In all seriousness, it's not that unusual to use parts per thousand in the context of births/deaths, though the specific symbol of ‰ isn't used that often.

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 00:09 on Feb 13, 2020

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The Bloop posted:

Help me here. I'm serious. What the gently caress is this? Does your country/language use perthou / permil instead of percent?

It's called the per mile and means parts per thousand. As mentioned above OP was just being weird.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/HeadlineSmasher/status/1224289280752803840

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Children of Men sequel shaping up I see

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
‰ is used in some Euro countries for blood alcohol levels. I’ve never seen it for population statistics.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The Bloop posted:

I just didn't feel like adding the comma after I summed the numbers I got from the stats bureau (which were per thousands)

lol at freaking out over it

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Honj Steak posted:

‰ is used in some Euro countries for blood alcohol levels. I’ve never seen it for population statistics.

Birth and death rates are nearly always expressed as the number of births/deaths per thousand people. You're right that the ‰ symbol isn't generally used in those cases, but it's still technically correct. Krankenstyle did nothing wrong.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Krankenstyle posted:

I just didn't feel like adding the comma after I summed the numbers I got from the stats bureau (which were per thousands)

lol at freaking out over it

Who freaked out?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/status/1227373881587097607

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The Bloop posted:

Who freaked out?

guess i misread your tone hah