Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
jordan peterson's brain is scrambled and christie blatchford is in the ground, 2020 is blasting off quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 9, 2022

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

A columnist is not necessarily a journalist

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

the last signal... posted:

jordan peterson's brain is scrambled and christie blatchford is in the ground, 2020 is blasting off quickly

And the National Post called him "Canada's leading intellectual" or some nonsense. What a joke. Oh well, lobsters can't speak or type either so I guess he'll count it as a win?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Lassitude posted:

And the National Post called him "Canada's leading intellectual" or some nonsense. What a joke.

I mean... he might be. Wouldn't that be embarrassing.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Not sure you can count yourself an intellectual when all you're famous for is misunderstanding everything you talk about. Canada's leading bigot though, surely, but considering he's only popular among our alt-right here, is he even really "Canada's X" anymore? He's America's problem more than our own. Or was.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Hey now, he's also famous for crying a lot.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Just a warning that I will be coming down hard on anyone who treats Blatchford's passing with any less respect and class than she demonstrated when commenting on the deaths of Jack Layton or Rehteah Parsons.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Helsing posted:

Just a warning that I will be coming down hard on anyone who treats Blatchford's passing with any less respect and class than she demonstrated when commenting on the deaths of Jack Layton or Rehteah Parsons.

This is a good post.

She can rot in loving hell.

e: I wrote this before I checked her Parsons article and I'm glad to see that my guess was right and I am on the right side of the mod.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 12, 2020

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
cancer sucks, but everything she wrote or thought contributed to the worst aspects of modern journalism: clickbait opeds, lovely opinions that treated marginalized people as somehow influential and powerful, and catered to bored rural rich people who didn't like the political opinions of bored urban rich people.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 12, 2020

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Lassitude posted:

And the National Post called him "Canada's leading intellectual" or some nonsense. What a joke. Oh well, lobsters can't speak or type either so I guess he'll count it as a win?

I mean he was working with the National Post on some project or another, that shouldn't be a surprise. What was initially surprising was that American newspapers started fawning over what he was saying, but then someone pointed out to me that it's been a generation since anyone read Northrop Frye so all the mythology and Bible crap was new to people again.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Helsing posted:

So does that mean I get to lol at her dying of cancer and the fact that it probably loving hurt the entire time, like how I loled at Jim Flaherty's heart exploding a few months after leaving politics for the private sector after a lifetime dedicated to doing his best to destroy both the Ontario and federal social safety nets in order to advance the interests of capital?

Because lol she ded. :dance:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

A columnist is not necessarily a journalist

largely agree but Blatchford probably was a journalist by any definition of the word, sadly. and now she's dead rip in piss

looking at twitter reinforces that there isn't a journalist worth a drat in this country. even justin loving ling is eulogizing her come on man

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Blatchford spent the length of Trudeau's political career pissing on him and he just tweeted condolences about how great they are

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

leftist heap posted:

largely agree but Blatchford probably was a journalist by any definition of the word, sadly. and now she's dead rip in piss

looking at twitter reinforces that there isn't a journalist worth a drat in this country. even justin loving ling is eulogizing her come on man

it's really hard to criticize a dead person who was probably really nice and helpful behind the scenes, even if her columns were total poo poo

e: it's just human empathy

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I can't wait to visit this country's newest gender neutral bathroom.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

leftist heap posted:

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1227584851693514757

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah, here's Elliotte Friedman's comments. They didn't cover the same things generally, but she was notable in the industry:

quote:

Early in my career, a reporter pointed out Christie Blatchford to me. He said, “Watch how she does her job. She never takes no for an answer. We could all learn from that.”

When Alan Eagleson was headed to court in 1998, Blatchford was one of many journalists waiting outside before the room opened. She was among the first to arrive. Several who came later jumped the queue when the doors opened, and boy did she just unload on them. They all ran behind her. Blatchford died Wednesday morning at age 68. What an absolute force of nature.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Blatchford did actual news reporting early on in her career then moved to column writing later on... Probably because columnists get paid a fuckton more and have a much easier job

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
All these journalists writing glowing things about how good she was at the process without considering the outcome (at least later on in her career) of that process momentarily makes me happy print journalism is dying.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
That Jeet Heer quote is partricularly funny given his concern trolling over rude millenial lefties a couple years ago.

Of course if you actually know any journalists in real life or have taken the time to talk with a (hopefully former) crime reporter then you may have some intimation of what it means to be a "great" reporter on the crime beat. Heer probably didn't mean it this way but calling someone a great crime reporter doesn't say anything good about their honesty, decency or integrity, because those are not character traits that will get you very far in that particular subfield of journalism.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

UnknownMercenary posted:

I can't wait to visit this country's newest gender neutral bathroom.

the blatchford memorial bucket.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Helsing posted:

That Jeet Heer quote is partricularly funny given his concern trolling over rude millenial lefties a couple years ago.

Of course if you actually know any journalists in real life or have taken the time to talk with a (hopefully former) crime reporter then you may have some intimation of what it means to be a "great" reporter on the crime beat. Heer probably didn't mean it this way but calling someone a great crime reporter doesn't say anything good about their honesty, decency or integrity, because those are not character traits that will get you very far in that particular subfield of journalism.

Historically speaking, the best way to be a successful crime reporter is to be extremely close with the police, which will tell you a lot about anyone remembered as a particularly great crime reporter.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

One of Québec's great crime reporters, Claude Poirier, went the other route - he became extremely close to the mob and biker gangs, to the point that when he was about to lose his house, a mafia family bought it and let him live in it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Horgans comments today on the protestors in BC made my blood boil. What a loving scumbag.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Blatchford is dead. Lung Cancer.

:holymoley:

I remember seeing her in person once; she was tiny.

There's no point to this anecdote.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

vyelkin posted:

Historically speaking, the best way to be a successful crime reporter is to be extremely close with the police, which will tell you a lot about anyone remembered as a particularly great crime reporter.

The best crime reporter imo is Kim Bolan (Vancouver Sun) who of course has police contacts but also a huge number of actual gangland contacts who text her info.

Also at one point the UN gang was considering killing her which is pretty terrifying but I guess they felt she was a threat to their business.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The vast majority of people who our society considers "heroes" are pathetic compared to crime journalists in places like Mexico.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

Horgans comments today on the protestors in BC made my blood boil. What a loving scumbag.

Can you elaborate? I'm trying to find video. The short clips I've seen talk about how he was angry that yesterday people were getting jostled and harassed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tsyni posted:

Can you elaborate? I'm trying to find video. The short clips I've seen talk about how he was angry that yesterday people were getting jostled and harassed.

Glad to see Horgan calling out the cops at least...

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

He had some comments specifically about Victoria Councillor Ben Isitt, I didn't see any about the demonstration as a whole.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Tsyni posted:

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020PREM0027-000262

Here's the link. It's a pretty bad statement.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
“When you illegally invade unceded native territory to uphold the financial interests of Oil companies”

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nine of Eight posted:

“When you illegally invade unceded native territory to uphold the financial interests of Oil companies”

Someone ought to do a "How many layers of colonialism are you on?" edit.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

infernal machines posted:

Someone ought to do a "How many layers of colonialism are you on?" edit.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:kiss:

You are amazing Leofish

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
:perfect:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I love it thank you!!!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do