Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Skwirl posted:

Start at the beginning or jump around. One story rarely relates to another and there's almost zero character growth.
Sorry to ask so many questions. Which Case Files have the best stories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Sorry to ask so many questions. Which Case Files have the best stories?

This is a little complicated but generally if you start at 2 you get a couple big arcs and it gets past the early jitters. The first case files is kinda rough. I think I've read through 10? It definitely picks up around 5 but I want to say some of the larger arcs kinda assume you have a little backstory, typically with villains, but it's not critical.

Here is the other backstory: Walter is a subservient comic relief robot that says JUDGE DWEDD.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

site posted:

now that ive finally finished my read of all the star wars books, i think im finally gonna sit down and read astro city. but there are so many reprints with different names (im assuming because its gone through 3 different pubs) and one shots and minis and now its all ogn i guess i have no idea what the reading order actually is. can anyone help out?

e: i think??? the trades have all the stuff in order? i dunno but for now ill just stick with those

There are roughly 3 major "blocks" of comics, all of it in trades. I glanced at Wikipedia and the order seems correct there - early trades historically didn't have volume numbers and weren't really "connected", although they built a universe. These are the first 5 trades starting with Life in the Big City and ending with Local Heroes. I think you could bounce around here, but try to stay contained in trades.

After that is the Dark Age and I think some one-shots. I don't remember the one-shots being too important, but Dark Age covers things hinted at in the first block.

Then there's the current run that ended at 52. That (I think, have a few issues to go) has to be read in order because there is an story... thread through the run.

Mostly just read everything, Astro City is easily one of the best comics full stop.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

As there seem to be some Dredd fans in the thread, could you help me identify a story I started reading about 25 years ago and never finished?

- judges from all over the world congregate to investigate a big building - I think maybe a research station in the arctic?
- everyone makes fun of the Brit Cit woman judge for not having a gun.
- there is an Irish judge wearing green armour. I think he was revealed to be a villain.
- Dredd is looking for a judge or a scientist or someone from Mega-City One. He finds his skin all in one piece as if shed.
- it was in colour and I am 99% certain it was being published in the standard Dredd storyline in 2000AD.

If anyone knows the story and could point me towards the Case Files I might find it in that would be amazing.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

This may not be exactly what this thread is for, but hopefully it's close enough: I was trying to find a graphic novel I read about a while back and actually have seen in stores a few times. I believe it's a little bit older and I thought it was called "The World of ___" or "The Secret World of __" something, but that may be wrong. The art style is very clean, and the cover is like a small spaceship traveling through a colorful alien world, from an isometric perspective, moving from right to left. I want to say most of the book is just about this alien world, but every time I've seen it in a store it's been wrapped in plastic. I remember reading about it on some "best comics of all time" lists but now I can't find any that have it. Does this ring any bells?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Mons Hubris posted:

This may not be exactly what this thread is for, but hopefully it's close enough: I was trying to find a graphic novel I read about a while back and actually have seen in stores a few times. I believe it's a little bit older and I thought it was called "The World of ___" or "The Secret World of __" something, but that may be wrong. The art style is very clean, and the cover is like a small spaceship traveling through a colorful alien world, from an isometric perspective, moving from right to left. I want to say most of the book is just about this alien world, but every time I've seen it in a store it's been wrapped in plastic. I remember reading about it on some "best comics of all time" lists but now I can't find any that have it. Does this ring any bells?

The World of Edena by Moebius?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Zachack posted:

The World of Edena by Moebius?

Amazing, that's it, thank you!

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Zachack posted:

Mostly just read everything, Astro City is easily one of the best comics full stop.

I have just finished reading all the Astro City trades available through Hoopla: sixteen or so, I think? I read them in order and it sure feels complete. If there’s more out there, I’ll be psyched to read it. Astro City is great.

... now I just need to find something that will scratch that itch! I’ll try Black Hammer next.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
im into trade 3 and yeah its been really good. so of course i feel bad for putting off reading it for so long

god i really really cant wait for the origin story about the hanged man

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

site posted:

im into trade 3 and yeah its been really good. so of course i feel bad for putting off reading it for so long

god i really really cant wait for the origin story about the hanged man

"The Tarnished Angel".

Read it. Might be the best AC story, certainly my favorite.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Does anyone else dislike the Astro City stories about the Fantastic Four types? I basically love Astro City, but those big and bore me.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I haven't read all of Astro City, or even close to all of it, but the story in #1/2 called "The Nearness of You" brings me to tears every single time. I don't know which TPB volume it is included in, but I highly recommend it to everyone here.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
end of volume 2. and yeah, using a crisis event to make a very personal tearjerker. a well done one shot

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I haven't read all of Astro City, or even close to all of it, but the story in #1/2 called "The Nearness of You" brings me to tears every single time. I don't know which TPB volume it is included in, but I highly recommend it to everyone here.

I think you can get it free on Comixology.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

El Gallinero Gros posted:

"The Tarnished Angel".

Read it. Might be the best AC story, certainly my favorite.

I thought when you posted this you were telling me which story was about the hanged man, but I read this volume tonight and even though it was not at all what I was expecting going in it was indeed very good

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

site posted:

I thought when you posted this you were telling me which story was about the hanged man, but I read this volume tonight and even though it was not at all what I was expecting going in it was indeed very good

There's a sequel, give it a look

The Hanged Man feature origin story is also excellent.

Honestly, Busiek is a phenomenal writer, he deserves a bit more love in general.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 20, 2020

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Honestly, Busiek is a phenomenal writer, he deserves a bit more love in general.

qft

e: read the super pets issues and have tissues ready

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So thanks to Birds of Prey im now on a Harley Quin kick again. Currently watching the new cartoon, but I was hoping to read some Harley comics. So I decided to give the Rebirth Harley comics a shot and HOLY poo poo! I forgot how bad Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner are at writing Harley during the New 52. Everything involving her just feels so disconnected from the rest of the DC Universe and were just taking a wacky character and her crazy friends through these zany adventures. I had to stop after I got to Harley joining a punk Rock band, because why not.

So what are some GOOD Harley Quinn books out there to read? Or maybe something that captures the same "Be Gay, Do Crimes" spirit of Harley Quinn, especially with their relationship with Poison Ivy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
*taps on sign that reads In Event of Harley Read Project, Breaking Glass*

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Suggestions for getting my 5 year old into super hero comics? TIny Titans didn't do anything for her because she didn't know any of the characters.

Comics she has read and loves

• My Little Pony
  • Lumberjanes
  • Ducktales
  • Hero Cats of Stellar CIty
  • Bones

We found some of these through comixology unlimited and have been bouncing around a bit. Still working through more Duck Tales and Lumberjanes. But she has 0 experience with any of the standard Marvel/DC universes and I was wondering if there was a good starting off series.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Nevermind, I thought it was a joke.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 13, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Chin Strap posted:

Suggestions for getting my 5 year old into super hero comics? TIny Titans didn't do anything for her because she didn't know any of the characters.

Comics she has read and loves

• My Little Pony
  • Lumberjanes
  • Ducktales
  • Hero Cats of Stellar CIty
  • Bones

We found some of these through comixology unlimited and have been bouncing around a bit. Still working through more Duck Tales and Lumberjanes. But she has 0 experience with any of the standard Marvel/DC universes and I was wondering if there was a good starting off series.

marvel books actually made for the real young kids are pretty few and far between but

moon girl & devil dinosaur
the unstoppable wasp

are directly targetted at young readers

the unbeatable squirrel girl
ms marvel
patsy walker aka hellcat
the unbelievable gwenpool

are all aimed at a slightly higher age group but seem to have a lot of crossover appeal

for dc the aforementioned harley quinn: breaking glass is part of their for kids line, and shadow of the batgirl (another ogn in the kids line) just came out this week, though i havent read it yet so i cant personally vouch for it, but ive heard good things so far

e: i forgot marvel has outsourced a kids line of books to IDW under the Marvel Action label. ive only read the captain marvel book but it was pretty cute and is about adorable kitties

site fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 13, 2020

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Comixology confuses me because every single thing you listed was rated 12+ Im not a prude worried about exposing her to stuff Ive just found she straight up got bored by the ones rated anything but All Ages. Even like adventure time is going over her head I think.

Edit: missed your edit will look at those

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
The Marvel Action stuff seems like exactly what I want!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
That old Marvel Adventures line might also be good.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Breaking Glass is absolutely an older teen book and not "for kids," on account of characters shouting "gently caress!" and taking on late capitalism through protests and violence. Or maybe that's what people want their kids to read, don't let me stop you.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if your kid isnt calling for the heads of landlords by first grade you done hosed up

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

if your kid isnt calling for the heads of landlords by first grade you done hosed up

My kid's first words were "Robespierre did nothing wrong."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

That old Marvel Adventures line might also be good.

Those books were great.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
One other book came to mind that might work for a 5yo, a year or two back there was a trade based around Franklin Richards. Basically it was a bunch of mini comics that were done in the style of old Sunday comic strips, mainly Calvin and Hobbes. But i can't remember what the title of it was, Franklin Richards something something

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

If she likes ducktales, there are piles of old disney books featuring all the original duck characters. I picked up a scrooge mcduck compilation on comixology, and it's pretty great

It's called Uncle Scrooge: timeless tales.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 13, 2020

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
There’s a Disney Dark Horse sale right now with some classic novels done with Disney characters that I’ve been enjoying.

Only way I’ll get through Moby Dick.

I’d check what is exactly there but I can’t fire up the VPN (Japan problems) to look atm.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If I wanted to read some good Shuma Gorath stuff what issues am I looking for?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Retro Futurist posted:

Honestly, there aren't any. He had a grand total of two stories across the first thirty years of his existence and neither were good; it's just that as Dr. Strange's Cthulhu he got referenced a lot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

The very first arc of Ewing's Mighty Avengers, Shuma isn't great in it, but he's (it's?) The villain and it's great comics.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

The very first arc of Ewing's Mighty Avengers, Shuma isn't great in it, but he's (it's?) The villain and it's great comics.

I forgot about that. Ewing's Mighty Avengers is good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
having just read it, shuma is entirely ancillary to the actual plot of those issues of mighty because theyre a tie in to hickmans infinity, but the book itself seems good so far yeah

seventimessix
Jul 18, 2011
I've recently started reading superhero comics thanks to Marvel Unlimited and have been reading random stories to try to get a sense of what I like. I just read Old Man Logan and the follow up Secret Wars tie-in and wanted to read the whole event since it seemed super cool. My problem is that I've apparently picked the most complicated comics event ever. Is there a decent reading list for how to go through Secret Wars and what to read from Warzones and Battleworld? The first guide I found started with "Read these issues from 1984" and i questioned my desire to read this. I just want to know what happens, I don't need to know every minute detail of each minor character.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean, if you just want the main story all you need to read is secret wars, but the good tie ins (that i remember anyways, going off the wiki page) were

secret wars secret love one-shot
ghost racers
siege
star lord & kitty pryde
thors
1602 angela witch hunter
a-force
future imperfect
giant size little marvel (kids book, but amusing)
infinity gauntlet
modok assassin
weirdworld
x-men 92

e1: one of the zombie books was good, starred elsa bloodstone, but i cant remember if it was ultron v zombies or just marvel zombies

e2: oh and actually i think the inhumans mini was where the quiet club thing started, that was cool and had some good characters

site fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Read just the Secret Wars main series and read any of the mini series that interest you.

If you want more back story, read the Hickman Avengers and New Avengers runs. I'm sure there are plenty of lists around for those. (I personally liked them, but felt like the whole run ran long.)