Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

FRINGE posted:

They just patched like 99 vulnerabilities yesterday, and some of them included work on the search indexer. Make sure your updates ran and rebooted and see what happens?
Gotcha there is pending updates on both machines today, here's hoping!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Nope, no change on either machine running 1909. Goddamnit.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Less Fat Luke posted:

Nope, no change on either machine running 1909. Goddamnit.

you can download it manually if you want

e: or if what you mean is search is still broken, follow the link in this post

repiv posted:

Windows 10 start menu searching is broken for everyone due to a bug in the Bing integration, which you can't disable without digging into the registry :suicide:

https://www.windowscentral.com/windows-search-down-many-showing-blank-box-instead-search-results

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Does the Windows 10 "Alarms & Clock" app not have a functioning snooze for anyone else? I hit "snooze" and it never re-alerts. Not a huge deal, but I'd expect this very basic feature of a very basic app to work.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Klyith posted:

e: or if what you mean is search is still broken, follow the link in this post
Yep that's what I mean, thanks.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Does the Windows 10 "Alarms & Clock" app not have a functioning snooze for anyone else? I hit "snooze" and it never re-alerts. Not a huge deal, but I'd expect this very basic feature of a very basic app to work.

"That app is built on top of very robust and tested foundation of UWP. Main features of UWP include: stability, dependability, working 100% of the time and not breaking."

I suggest finding an alarm app that was written before introduction of Windows 8. As everything that uses the modern apis is prone to breakage. The whole foundation of Metro/Modern/UWP is essentially Sinofskys revenge for not becoming CEO of Microsoft.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Yeah I'm using largely the same apps I was using a decade ago because everything new sucks poo poo. On occasion I'll try something from the Windows Store to see if it can replace one of my crusty old Win32 apps and they always have some kind of frustrating limitation or totally bizarre interface or a huge ad somewhere. This whole Metro thing was a huge mistake. Even my Settings app crashes sometimes.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The windows 7 update window (among others) is better in every possible way than the dogshit in 10. the latter expends way more screen space to give the user less options.

Is there a name for this thing?

ie, the condition where a screen is vertically shorter than a menu that has to exist on it, so it creates those little arrows to scroll.

that's one of photoshop's gigantic menus but it's not hard to beat the vertical res on that screen without them*

I ask because it won't respond to the scroll wheel at all, you have to manually click on those, and that's amazingly stupid. I'm wondering if that's a bug or something that can be tweaked, and the name of that thing will sure help me google it

* I'd sure love to trim the poo poo on that second menu but, to callback to the first half of this post, I don't know where that button is in 10

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Does w10 tell me what prevents my computer from going to sleep?

Its set and is generally successful at sleeping after 15 minutes. I know i can run sleepstudy to see why it will wake etc but is there a way to see what prevents it? some log like "Sleep mode attempted but haulted because of fault in PID xxxx" or some bs

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Statutory Ape posted:

Does w10 tell me what prevents my computer from going to sleep?

Its set and is generally successful at sleeping after 15 minutes. I know i can run sleepstudy to see why it will wake etc but is there a way to see what prevents it? some log like "Sleep mode attempted but haulted because of fault in PID xxxx" or some bs

you can see what's stopping sleep with powercfg /requests in an admin command prompt

But I don't think it logs a record of what prevented sleep anywhere. (it's like, while anything has an ongoing no-sleep request the OS doesn't even attempt to sleep.) So you'd have to just run that any time you think the PC should have slept but didn't.

Javid posted:

* I'd sure love to trim the poo poo on that second menu but, to callback to the first half of this post, I don't know where that button is in 10

I'd start looking in all the programs that have crapped up your right-click menus for options like "install explorer extension" or "integrate shell context menu" or things like that.

You can also do this with registry editing, for programs that don't give you the option. The context menu stuff is one of the easier registry areas to figure out, everything is in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and it's organized in a pretty straightforward way. Or there are tools that can give you a slightly more user-friendly editing interface -- just be careful and maybe set a system restore point first.

(Also those menus are supposed to auto-scroll by just hovering the mouse over the up/down arrows. But I think the last time I saw one of them it didn't work. It worked like that in 7, maybe another thing MS broke in win10.)

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 13, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Perfect ty that's this exact scenario. I suspect it was something specific , not a program. But if it was one of the program's I know exactly what was open so no news is still news ya know

Tyvm for this it's exactly what I wanted

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Next week, I'm planning to do a clean install of Windows 10 on new hardware (a NVMe). I've got a list of things I believe I should do.

Pre-Install:
  • unplugging all of my extra drives to keep windows from accidentally putting boot info on them
  • unplug my internet so that I'm not forced into making a Microsoft account

Post-Install:
  • disable fast startup
  • disable driver updates (I can still run these manually, right?)

Is there anything that I should add/remove?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

You should remove those last two

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
No, you should keep them in. Automatic driver updates are bad, and fast startup is annoying to deal with.

Running shutup10 should smooth things out too.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fast startup is bad?

Also you should download your drivers manually now and maybe install them while W10 is offline.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

doctorfrog posted:

Fast startup is bad?

Also you should download your drivers manually now and maybe install them while W10 is offline.

If you know the limitations of fast startup and have an easy method of getting into the bios with it enabled, I say leave it on. It makes a noticeable difference for me, it's not a huge benefit but it depends on what you have to do to get back into the bios.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Fast startup is 100% do whatever you want.

I have it off on my desktop because I don't hibernate my PC and only reboot when required by OS or driver updates (which requires a true reboot). It's of zero use to me, sometimes an annoyance, and having a hiberfil.sys is a waste. My laptop I have it on because it hibernates so why not. I still rarely use it, just hibernate the thing.

Auto driver updates off is the right choice for any gamer or enthusiast who can handle drivers themselves. Drivers from MS are often well behind for video cards, and are using the DCH driver sets.

(Also when it's turned on it doesn't just install drivers, it installs apps like HP Smart and poo poo. gently caress off HP, I don't want an ink subscription.)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have fast startup on, but can't get the super fast startup to work because I have a weird video card that doesn't work with it. But I also kinda value having access to my BIOS that's not gated by a Microsoft OS.

I've debated disabling fast startup--in spite of its novelty--to save wear on my SSD, but the goon consensus on SSDs is "don't worry about your dang SSD," so I haven't bothered.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
For what it's worth, I've installed Win10 on whole bunch of machines last week with the latest install media and there's nothing forcing you to make a Microsoft account. There are two "Are you really sure?" confirmation screens to click through, but the option for a local account is still there with the computer connected to the Internet.

Fast startup has enough downsides for me that I would disable it, if you're not going to get any benefit from it. And on a NVMe it would give you a few seconds at most.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

You should remove those last two
:shrug: The only two times a windows update completely hosed my installation, it was because a driver update.
I would not trust that poo poo blindly.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Whereat? I was doing an initial setup on a friend's machine the other day and I didn't see the option anywhere. There's some possiblity it was being cut off by the overscan on his tv but I don't think so.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I have installed 10 on literally hundreds of computers... and my own a few times. I have never once seen any problem I could point to Fast Startup being the cause.

I am curious to what downsides there could possibly be... Other than the presence of the hiberfil.sys file.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

stevewm posted:

I have installed 10 on literally hundreds of computers... and my own a few times. I have never once seen any problem I could point to Fast Startup being the cause.

I am curious to what downsides there could possibly be... Other than the presence of the hiberfil.sys file.

It breaks shutting down (as in they stay on the "shutting down" screen forever) on some laptops, both of my previous laptops had that issue.
Automatic driver updates also force install completely broken audio drivers on them.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Raygereio posted:

For what it's worth, I've installed Win10 on whole bunch of machines last week with the latest install media and there's nothing forcing you to make a Microsoft account.

It is probably an A/B test experiment that MS is doing, because people occasionally capture it happening but it seems pretty rare.

stevewm posted:

I have never once seen any problem I could point to Fast Startup being the cause.

IIRC when it was new on windows 8 it occasionally did cause problems. People would install driver or service-type programs that didn't trigger full restarts and the thing would be broken until someone told them how to to use win+x or hold shift while clicking restart. Haven't seen anything like that for a long time though.

Mostly it's just, if you never want to use it why have it turned on? It does make shutting down slightly slower.

VV edit: ah, I guess in win8 it was different and that's why win10 doesn't have those problems. makes sense!

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 13, 2020

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Restart is still restart, it's only shutting down that's affected by fast boot.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

pofcorn posted:

No, you should keep them in. Automatic driver updates are bad, and fast startup is annoying to deal with.

Running shutup10 should smooth things out too.

you idiot, you moron

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Raygereio posted:

For what it's worth, I've installed Win10 on whole bunch of machines last week with the latest install media and there's nothing forcing you to make a Microsoft account. There are two "Are you really sure?" confirmation screens to click through, but the option for a local account is still there with the computer connected to the Internet.

Fast startup has enough downsides for me that I would disable it, if you're not going to get any benefit from it. And on a NVMe it would give you a few seconds at most.

:shrug: The only two times a windows update completely hosed my installation, it was because a driver update.
I would not trust that poo poo blindly.

you're also trusting that whatever driver you have installed doesn't have a hole big enough to drive a truck through, which can equally burn you. there are no guarantees in life, embrace chaos and updates

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

you're also trusting that whatever driver you have installed doesn't have a hole big enough to drive a truck through, which can equally burn you. there are no guarantees in life, embrace chaos and updates
:rolleyes: No one said you shouldn't update at all.

ItBreathes posted:

Whereat? I was doing an initial setup on a friend's machine the other day and I didn't see the option anywhere. There's some possiblity it was being cut off by the overscan on his tv but I don't think so.
I don't recall exactly what it's called, but it's an unobtrusive button in the lower left.
In earlier version of the Win10 setup it was a clearly labelled button, so Microsoft is being a bit sneaky with it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

always free ball

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

doctorfrog posted:

I have fast startup on, but can't get the super fast startup to work because I have a weird video card that doesn't work with it. But I also kinda value having access to my BIOS that's not gated by a Microsoft OS.

I've debated disabling fast startup--in spite of its novelty--to save wear on my SSD, but the goon consensus on SSDs is "don't worry about your dang SSD," so I haven't bothered.

I was almost able to get the super fast startup working on my desktop, but because I have Bitlocker configured to prompt for a password it doesn't work because my USB keyboard isn't initialized.

Not that I'd use those extra few seconds in any sort of meaningful way, but...

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

just install it, and if you have problems with a thing, disable that thing

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Weren't spinny drives still prevalent when fast boot/startup came around, and were mainly why it came around? If so, what on earth is the point now, unless you're poor as a church mouse and still suffering with a spinny drive?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Weren't spinny drives still prevalent when fast boot/startup came around, and were mainly why it came around? If so, what on earth is the point now, unless you're poor as a church mouse and still suffering with a spinny drive?

Zero point which is why it gets turned off for most systems I deal with. If I do reboot, Windows generally installs updates I put off so I get a slow boot anyways.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

it's still faster? I can't even get into my bios with fastboot on.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

stevewm posted:

It can cause problems if you do anything to your drives while the system is "shut down".

It's no big deal when you add a drive and it mysteriously doesn't appear until the next reboot, but it's a bigger problem when fast startup screws up dual booting. And I'm pretty sure I had a flash drive get horribly corrupted because it was removed post-shutdown, used elsewhere, and plugged back in before windows booted.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Say your wifi chip on your laptop screws up and is some intermediate state where it wont connect. Fast start makes the computer not reinitialize the wifi chip on reboot and it stays screwed up.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Weren't spinny drives still prevalent when fast boot/startup came around, and were mainly why it came around?

Yeah, win8 was released right on the cusp of SSDs becoming affordable for ordinary people. I bought my first one, a 90gb OCZ, right around then. $100. When MS was still working on win8 in 2011-2012 the poo poo was 2-3 dollars per gb.

ItBreathes posted:

it's still faster? I can't even get into my bios with fastboot on.

Yeah, that's because at power off windows sends the same instructions as hibernation. The bios skips the normal delay to check for other boot devices and allowing you to press the delete key, and just slams straight to windows. It could do that every time.

But the point is with SSDs booting is like a 5 second process, fast boot shaves a second from the bios screen and a second from the OS boot. With HDDs you gain way more time.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The absolute lack of self-awareness here with people complaining about the OS not being reliable or having problems, then intentionally screwing with the thing to make their system an edge case that MS can't reasonably account for in testing, and then complaining with their special snowflake Power User computer breaks is hilarious to me

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So, there is no more way to boot straight into recovery mode, as in selecting safe mode at boot and such, with hammering F8 when Windows is about to boot? Really? The documentation says to abort boot twice, either by power down or reset, so it boots into WinRE? Dear God in heaven, if it wasn't for some applications I want/need...

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

The absolute lack of self-awareness here with people complaining about the OS not being reliable or having problems, then intentionally screwing with the thing to make their system an edge case that MS can't reasonably account for in testing, and then complaining with their special snowflake Power User computer breaks is hilarious to me
Yes, they're missing out on the famous, extensive QA and testing Microsoft definitely still employs and performs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

an edge case that MS can't reasonably account for in testing
You sound new?

https://www.networkworld.com/article/2453929/would-microsoft-really-cut-its-qa-department.html

quote:

Would Microsoft really cut its QA department?
Bloomberg says Microsoft’s quality assurance team might be the target of cuts, but that borders on the unthinkable.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-23/microsoft-bug-testers-unionized-then-they-were-dismissed

quote:

Microsoft Bug Testers Unionized. Then They Were Dismissed

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/187407/microsoft-has-a-software-quality-problem

quote:

You see, Microsoft mainly relies on the Windows Insider program for fixing bugs on the Windows software.

Important issues like these are often buried under thousands of other general feedback like “Make File Explorer look more modern” or “Add Acrylic to File Explorer”. Although these are valid feedback, they often prevent actual issues from being noticed by Microsoft, and that is a fundamental problem with the entire Insider program system. Things get even worse considering the fact that Microsoft has cut down on independent testing a few years ago, relying mostly on Insiders for testing its software.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2878026/microsoft-to-business-dont-worry-about-windows-10-consumers-will-test-it.html

quote:

Microsoft to business: Don't worry about Windows 10, consumers will test it
Assures businesses that the radically-faster update process will be reliable because "millions" will have already tested the constant changes
https://www.extremetech.com/computi...on-of-that-word

quote:

Windows Insider doesn’t catch a lot of bugs

The other problem with Microsoft’s Windows Insider program is more concrete. Since Windows 10 shipped, we’ve seen a number of very specific bugs make it into various major updates. These bugs have often been linked to specific peripherals, whether it’s using multiple monitors, BSODs when a Kindle is plugged in, broken PowerShell, critical bugs in virtualization security, or the company’s decision to strip out the H.264 compression algorithm that the vast majority of webcams used with its Anniversary Update last summer.

Why are so many of these bugs slipping through the cracks? Microsoft doesn’t recommend testing Insider Previews on your daily driver (for good reason). But this means the majority of testing actually takes place within virtual machines (VMs). Most VMs don’t concern themselves with supporting USB peripherals, at least not beyond the minimal level required to interface with a device. Testing virtualization within an already-virtualized OS might make for interesting Inception layers (if you’re a really geeky person, anyway), but how many people practically test software in this fashion? If the patterns we’ve seen are any indication, not many. And since Microsoft fired a significant percentage of the QA team that used to be responsible for finding and fixing these bugs, it’s not catching them internally the way it used to.

If you want to “surprise and delight” customers, Mr. Mehdi, there’s an easy way to do it: Start giving customers the options to control telemetry and updates, hire some actual dedicated QA people rather than asking programmers to test their own software, and above all, stop pretending like you haven’t run a software company before. Either the lines of communication within Microsoft are so poor that the people who knew all of the decisions mentioned above would be awful never managed to get that critical information to people higher in the food chain, or you knew all along that your program changes would be loathed and decided you simply didn’t care. If you want to take that approach, fine — God knows, it certainly works for Apple — but stop batting your eyes and claiming to have been educated by us “fans.”